Milan31
Kaladin
The Franchise
Onyx
DuringTheWar
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Should penalties be scrapped? Empty Should penalties be scrapped?

Post by DuringTheWar Mon 04 Feb 2013, 01:27

Ok i can understand harshly punishing defenders for cynical fouls but this situation is ridiculous, forwards are buying fouls like never before, constantly trying to to get fouled, throwing themselves into defenders, or looking for contact in more subtle ways, because the slightest accidental contact is a free kick these days, defenders forced to walk on a tight rope. Seems like a lot of the time it isnt even a goal scoring opportunity where the fouls take place, yet it = a free kick on goal from 12 yards hmm seems legit :coffee:

I appeciate the battle of wits that takes place bewteen striker and defender but the rule is flat out unfair imo. In some cases it is fair but in a lot is unfair. In fact when it is fair, ie when a clear opportunity = to a penalty kick has been denied the defender gets sent off as well as a pk awarded, so they still get treated unfairly Laughing

Last edited by Diego Armando Maradona on Mon 04 Feb 2013, 01:31; edited 2 times in total
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Should penalties be scrapped? Empty Re: Should penalties be scrapped?

Post by Onyx Mon 04 Feb 2013, 01:29

I think instant replay should be in football. That way things like penalty decisions, whether the ball went over the line etc etc can be shown and a clear decision can be made.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon 04 Feb 2013, 01:34

On first thought, what your saying is outrageous.

But in some situations I understand your thought process.

We all seen pens where a player is not really going towards goal, there are many defenders in the way and there is very light contact just on the very edge of the box, no real way the player can score...but he gets a pen, which is now a free shot from 12 yards. It dont seem fair.

When it comes to decisions though, I think the refs should be allowed a second look at it if they want. I dont think teams should have "challenges" or things like that, but if the ref would like a 2nd look before making a call, I am good with that.

I think the away goal rule is a bigger thing, that to me is quite silly. The reward for an away goal is far too great.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Mon 04 Feb 2013, 01:35

Yohan Modric wrote:I think instant replay should be in football. That way things like penalty decisions, whether the ball went over the line etc etc can be shown and a clear decision can be made.

I agree, Blatter's bs about maintaining the "human aspect' of football is pissing me off every time i read it. Seriously Goal linesman cant see a ball cross the goal if it depended on his life. Get a replay system or incorporate technology one way or another and end this charade of useless linesmen
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Milan31 Mon 04 Feb 2013, 01:40

I don't understand what the big deal would be if the ref takes less than one minute to check an instant replay. Makes the game much more fair, and any time the ref spends reviewing a play, add it to injury time. Simple.
Milan31
Milan31
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Mon 04 Feb 2013, 01:43

I thought about that today !! GL connection ...

I was watching the AFCON and i was like '' the strikers are just seeking the contact ''

As we know penalties are not going to be removed anytime soon i thought about some things more realistically :

1- Refs should be allowed to watch the replay ( nothing new here i know )

2- Players should have the right for ask for a replay if the action happens in the box or around , let's say the last 25m

thus , the ref won't have to stop the game everytime , only if there is a doubt

LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Mon 04 Feb 2013, 01:45

Milan31 wrote:I don't understand what the big deal would be if the ref takes less than one minute to check an instant replay. Makes the game much more fair, and any time the ref spends reviewing a play, add it to injury time. Simple.

Not surprised at all. What actually bothers me is the fact that even if it's clearly the best decision , it takes too much time for FIFA to make it the rule.
f
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by DeviAngel Mon 04 Feb 2013, 01:46

IT should have something like the tennis challenge thing so you can use it only once in a game and not anymore so when you call challenge you get instant replay and the decision will be brought
DeviAngel
DeviAngel
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon 04 Feb 2013, 01:50

how would you deal with situations like Suarez' handball vs Ghana without penalties?
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon 04 Feb 2013, 01:58

Give them a goal. Seriously.

I am not one of those who were crying because of what Suarez did. I see no problem with it, he did what he had to do...accept the red, save your team..it is what it is.

However, even a penalty isnt compensation enough for what he did...its not denying a goalscoring chance, its simply denying a goal.

Keep Suarez on the pitch, give Ghana a goal.

Seems outrageous but, to me thats the only way if we talking about scrapping pens.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Mon 04 Feb 2013, 02:02

The Franchise wrote:Give them a goal. Seriously.

I am not one of those who were crying because of what Suarez did. I see no problem with it, he did what he had to do...accept the red, save your team..it is what it is.

However, even a penalty isnt compensation enough for what he did...its not denying a goalscoring chance, its simply denying a goal.

Keep Suarez on the pitch, give Ghana a goal.

Seems outrageous but, to me thats the only way if we talking about scrapping pens.

won't happen anytime soon so let's look for some realistic solutions :
1- Teams should have the right to ask for a replay ( how come it's still not the case :facepalm: )
This only rule would helps the game so much !
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon 04 Feb 2013, 02:13

How would that help in the Ghana situation? Thats what I was answering.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by StrugaRock Mon 04 Feb 2013, 02:13

You guys are ruining the true spirit and emotion of the game. Instant replays?? No penalties?? Goal line technology?? I'm against that kind of modernization, you hate it when rich club owners spend big amount of money on players, which is part of the modernization, yet you like bringing technology to the game.

Might as well make them play on empty seated stadiums so players don't get distracted by fans, invent a robot instead of the ref and players and you are good to go on a perfection.

I don't understand what the big deal would be if the ref takes less than one minute to check an instant replay. Makes the game much more fair, and any time the ref spends reviewing a play, add it to injury time. Simple.

As a first thing you ruin the games flow, that's a first and a very important thing. Second of all, imagine in a specific circumstances 15 different penalty calls are being discussed during a match, that's +15 minutes injury time, that's stupid.

Might as well add time outs every 5 minutes and make it like the Super Bowl, add commercials make it boring to watch.
StrugaRock
StrugaRock
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon 04 Feb 2013, 02:19

Nonesense. How is improving the fairness of the game ruining anything?

Comparing it to rich owners is just silly, nothing alike.

When has there been 15 penalty calls? The most anyone seen is the Barca-Chelsea game which was 5 and at least 2 of them were nonsense.

Flow of the the game Laughing

It takes what, 30 seconds to see if something happened or didnt?

It takes longer for the players to stop crowding the ref, the pen taker to get the ball and ready himself and then shoot.

Dont be so silly.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by StrugaRock Mon 04 Feb 2013, 02:26

OK, let me explain it in this kind of twisted way:

The term Vampire, a vicious blood-sucking demon, that burns when on direct contact with the sun. Then someone thought about modernizing "the vampire" and turn it to a sparkling doll.

About the crowding, it's the ref's fault, just start booking someone and then you'll see if they will crowd the ref.

Modernization will kill football, trust me on that.
StrugaRock
StrugaRock
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by StrugaRock Mon 04 Feb 2013, 02:31

Scrapping penalties would be the most stupid thing that might happen to football.

The Suarez/Ghana situation should be left as it happened, Suarez saved his team, got a deserved red, didn't argue about it. Even Gyan said that he would've done the same thing in a similar situation.
StrugaRock
StrugaRock
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Mon 04 Feb 2013, 02:34

BarrileteCosmico wrote:how would you deal with situations like Suarez' handball vs Ghana without penalties?

I agree with what TheFranchise said. Thats actually a good idea imo, award a goal if someone uses their hands to stop a goal, not a goal scoring opportunity an actual goal.

Anyway, penatlties shouldnt be scrapped, thats a poor idea, unless there is a better alternative but i cant think of one. But in some cases like TheFranchise described earlier a penalty isnt a fitting punishment. And in some cases the foul is actually instaigated by the striker looking to get fouled

Its partly moderization that is the problem, being blown over by a gust of wind = foul, strikers play on that
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Mon 04 Feb 2013, 02:46

Plus if there was instant replay in football.. players would think twice about diving for a penalty..
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Mon 04 Feb 2013, 03:57

Why are we talking about instant replay in a thread about penalties? There are separate threads for that...

And as for this.

If anyone has any better idea, preach it. Right now penalties is the best there is tbh
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon 04 Feb 2013, 04:02

Because he feels that penalties are too harsh a punishment nowadays because strikers know how to use them to their advantage. Instant replay would allow us to see whether a penalty should be awarded or not.

It seems to me that loosening the standards of what's considered a foul would accomplish the same thing that the OP wants without getting rid of penalties, which are fair to me in a lot of scenarios. What if a defender does a last-man-foul to prevent a 1-1 situation with the keeper in the box? In a world where penalties don't exist, would a yellow be enough? That doesn't seem harsh enough. Would you award the goal to the team, that seems too harsh.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Mon 04 Feb 2013, 05:19

Penalties should absolutely be in football. The thing they should change is the player who gets fouled should take the penalty kick. There is no reason if your best player had nothing to do with the play that they should be able to step up and bang in a penalty kick to pad there stats.

If they let the player who gets fouled take it, they wouldn't be so automatic.

And there is a sound good reason for Penalty kicks as defender know when a player is in the PENALTY BOX you can't rape them like they do all over the field until they get a yellow card.

The PENALTY BOX is there for a reason because if it wasn't defenders would cheat and take out players whenever they got near the goal. Hell on corner kicks the defenders grab the offensive players jerseys with both hands and pull them to the ground and the refs almost never call it. And they do it because they know the refs don't call it. Think if there was no penalty box, it would be all out mayhem.

I'm all for physicality but there needs to be rules in place so the magicians in the game can work there magic without defenders systematically fouling the crap out of them like they do everywhere else on the field with virtually no repercusions.

I mean the refs let the other teams stop counter attacks by fouling, foul the crap out of everyone on corner kicks, when the offensive guys receive the ball with there back turned to the defense the defenders just run right through them to stop the flow of the offense and really there is no penalty what so ever.

There is just one small piece of the field (Penalty Box) where defenders need to control themselves. And they don't even do it on corners. I don't think that's too much to ask.
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Error Mon 04 Feb 2013, 08:50

Awarding a goal for a scoring chance is a horrible idea.

Let's take a corner situation. Player kicks the ball in the box and player from same team heads it towards goal. There is also a defender standing on goal line next to a post (likely usually). The ball hits accidentally the defender's arm, then what? The team with corner should be awarded a goal? Even if he didn't purposely like Suarez? Or Perhaps he did it on purpose? Problem with awarding instant goal is that you cannot always know when the blocking is done deliberately and would cause even more chaos for referees and spectators.

I'm with Struga with replays during game. It will only unnecessary hinder the gameplay. How many would complain then that there has been X amount of replays but ref didn't award enough injury time? Many already complains now that ref didn't award enough time from subs and now you want them also to add replay time on top of it? And stopping clock every time where there is a replay will not work well because you would have to do that for every break then.

The goal line technology would be quite easy to implement and only one I support, since it can done with a sensors that register if it's a goal or not.

But the easiest way to solve this whole problem would be to ban all divers after match from video replays, just like do in ice hockey with dangerous and illegal tackles or acts. I doubt Dive Maria, Suarez, Dani Dives, Penaldo, Biscuit etc. would dare to dive anymore when jury gives them 5 match ban for diving. Of course solving all dive problems wouldn't be so easy and true dive master would still survive. But let's be honest, majority of dives are pretty easy to notice from replay.
Error
Error
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by tonger Mon 04 Feb 2013, 09:00

the only problem i have with it review thing is, if u r allowed to JUST review penalty related calls, ya ok, but then red card potential situations will be reviewed and then people will want yellow card or other important decisions reviewed. so MAYBE when people talk abt disturbing the flow of the game, thats what they are worried about.

but for me if we can stick to just penalty decision/goal no-goal decisions, im ok with video/review technology.
tonger
tonger
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Mon 04 Feb 2013, 09:18

I think there needs to be some refinement, but penalties should definitely stay in the game. If they didn't exist the game would favor defenders way too much and most defenders would just hammer any attacker before they were able to get anything even resembling a scoring chance.

But as it is, attackers are taking advantage of the rules.

I think one thing that might help is having a smaller penalty box inside of the existing one. If someone was fouled there a penalty would be taken as is. But if someone was fouled on the edge of the box, the player could take a penalty from a spot that was a bit farther away, giving the goal keeper a better chance to save the ball.

Also, I think the rule should be changed to were only the person who is fouled is allowed to take the penalty kick. (with the exception of a handball the player who caused the handball should take it)

Some players have different penalty taking abilities, so its not fair that a player can draw a penalty, knowing that the team can choose their best penalty kicker to take it giving them an almost assured goal. it would be like if in basketball every time a player is fouled while shooting, the team got to choose their best free throw shooter too take them. It gives offenses an unfair advantage in that regard.

For example, for NBA fans, Imagine if every time dwight howard got fouled, steve nash could be chosen to take the shots. The lakers would probably have won a lot more games with that alone...

Also replays would help to lessen the amount of penalties given by seeing if there was contact or a flop, etc.
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Mon 04 Feb 2013, 09:30

tonger wrote:the only problem i have with it review thing is, if u r allowed to JUST review penalty related calls, ya ok, but then red card potential situations will be reviewed and then people will want yellow card or other important decisions reviewed. so MAYBE when people talk abt disturbing the flow of the game, thats what they are worried about.

but for me if we can stick to just penalty decision/goal no-goal decisions, im ok with video/review technology.

Yeah people are worried that if replay exists, then all of a sudden everything is going to be reviewed non stop which doesn't have to be the case at all

I think a page could be taken from the NFL, where the games rules remain as it is, but each manager is given two challenges. At any point of the game, the managers can decide if they feel there was a call by the refs that was unfavorable towards their team, even if its something as minor as an offsides call, or something more major like a ball that crossed the goal line, a red card that was given when there was no contact, a handball when there was or wasnt one, and so on, the manager can challenge it. But they only have 2. If they use them both then tough luck you have to rely on the refs like we already do. This way they won't go using them just to disrupt the games flow. And any time that is taken up by the refs reviewing the play is added on to stoppage time, and the challenges cannot be used in stoppage time (to avoid the other team using a challenge just to time waste in extra time over a minor nothing call for example) I really don't think it would interupt the flow of the game any more than a player faking an injury already does. And if players are aware that they can be caught faking, maybe they would be less likely to do it in the first place.
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next