So why isn't Europa League generating more money?

+13
Forza
paddy
RED
Lex
Eivindo
TheRedStag
VivaStPauli
free_cat
VanDeezNuts
Tomwin Lannister
Art Morte
Onyx
Ausi90
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

So why isn't Europa League generating more money? Empty So why isn't Europa League generating more money?

Post by Ausi90 Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:22 pm

Europa League has great potential, if the prize money was bigger. I saw last night's match where Inter destroyed Tottenham. Man that game had CL quality all over it. Tottenham was dominated but they are still a CL-quality team. And this is not the first time I have enjoyed a Europa League match on par with a CL match. There are a lot of great teams in Europa League and they often produce fantastic matches. I really don't understand why Europa League isn't more popular (generating more money)

Ausi90
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

So why isn't Europa League generating more money? Empty Re: So why isn't Europa League generating more money?

Post by Onyx Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:29 pm

Generating more money as in the winners getting more money?

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

So why isn't Europa League generating more money? Empty Re: So why isn't Europa League generating more money?

Post by Ausi90 Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:32 pm

Yohan Modric wrote:Generating more money as in the winners getting more money?
no the competition as a whole. why aren't people watching it? obviously it's not as popular as Champions League, because people aren't watching it, and this means the competition doesn't generate as much money as CL

Ausi90
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:33 pm

It's all about the TV deals. I've got no idea what the actual demand is for televised EL football, but broadcasters are not ready to spend millions on EL footy.

Like, we are a football forum and we get excited about the Europa League, too, but there's a massive audience out there who only care about the Champions League and are not ready to pay more to see EL games on their screens.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:36 pm

Well I don't really watch it simply because it's not the CL. If Spurs vs Inter was a CL knockout stage match, I would have watched it.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:36 pm

Look at it from a local fans perspective. Money is tight, would you rather go and see your team (If you're a big team chances are you'll be watching your second string team) play in the Europa league during the week after you're home from work/school whatever or would you rather put that money towards a league game.

Also, the Europa league contains more teams from far out in Europe, it would be hella' expensive to follow your team in a competition nobody cares that much about. We're talking serious flight money.

That covers matchday $$

Don't forget the competition isn't well recieved with fans and the TV rights are piss poor because people just don't care enough and as a result neither do the big TV channels.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:45 pm

not many people are watching it. as simple as that.

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:47 pm

I already illustrated goal legacers on why Europa League generates small revenues.

Bottom line: no one cares about EL.

Why? Because it's a competition of 2nd best teams the winner of which cannot claim to be the best of anything.

Even fans of clubs that barely ever get into European competitions, like levante, don't give a crap.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:03 pm

While I do like EL plenty, the main problem is that most teams there are only great for one season. Like BMG, they have a surprise-season, in which they would have been boss in the EL, but didn't qualify, and by the time they're there again, all their best players have been poached.

Same goes for other EL-teams. Perform there once, and the big guns come and buy all your talent, and you suck next season.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:07 pm

Yeah either that happens Viva or the team keeps on progressing onto the CL. This is why it's pointless, chances are the defending champions will make a push for the CL and you never really earned it off of them.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:10 pm

Also there are some EL ties that just scream "snoozefest". If Trondheim plays Pilsen, nobody wins.

Though I have to admit, from the round of 16 on it's mostly ties I would watch, if I had the time. And I do as well, for the most part.

Then again, my team is a 2nd flight team and I'm used to bad football.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:12 pm

One way to really raise the stakes would be to give the EL winner a place in the CL proper, no QF round. Then teams Like Udinese, and many other good but not great teams would have the perfect reason to go all guns blazing in the EL. Think about a club that doesn't have the power to compete for a top 3/4 finish getting in the CL, making serious cash and attracting better players.

It could help spread the power in the leagues.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:16 pm

I never understood why the EL winner doesn't get a CL spot anyway. They really should.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedStag Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:11 am

Marketing I suppose.

And I'm all with the idea that the winner should get a CL spot.

TheRedStag
TheRedStag
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Eivindo Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:56 am

VivaStPauli wrote:Also there are some EL ties that just scream "snoozefest". If Trondheim plays Pilsen, nobody wins.

Though I have to admit, from the round of 16 on it's mostly ties I would watch, if I had the time. And I do as well, for the most part.

Then again, my team is a 2nd flight team and I'm used to bad football.

Everyone knows they are called RBK (Rosenborg Ballklub) :coffee:
Eivindo
Eivindo
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:58 am

^ I don't even know who they are :coffee:
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:04 am

free_cat wrote:I already illustrated goal legacers on why Europa League generates small revenues.

Bottom line: no one cares about EL.

Why? Because it's a competition of 2nd best teams the winner of which cannot claim to be the best of anything.

Even fans of clubs that barely ever get into European competitions, like levante, don't give a crap.

Pretty much this.

It's a 2nd rate trophy, that's why.
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:14 am

It's that f*cking name. UEFA Cup sounded so much more prestigious than the Europa league
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by paddy Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:19 am

It's way too long. Too many games. Not enough money. Clubs prioritize. Once they start fielding weaker teams fans lose interest. Who the hell wants a Thursday night trip to Russia anyway.

It should be a straight knockout competition like it was 10 years ago. And yes, change that atrocious name. More prize money and a guaranteed Champions League spot for the winners

paddy
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Eivindo Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:20 am

I think it takes time getting used to, but it still has potential.

Oh and Lex, RBK had a great run in the 90s in the CL, beating Milan at the San Siro and other big teams (cant remember). They also tried to play attacking football with speedy wingers, and did well in the CL for a few years. I rly dont care at all about Norwegian football though, but one is bound to know something of the historically best team in this country, even though Solskjær with his rich friends in Molde is owning it up now. (I think)
Eivindo
Eivindo
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedStag Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:21 am

Lex wrote:It's that f*cking name. UEFA Cup sounded so much more prestigious than the Europa league
Lex wrote:It's that f*cking name. UEFA Cup sounded so much more prestigious than the Europa league

Ya the name is worse but.....

Ya its worse that the CL obviously and a second rate competition so by comparison. But so is every other competition in club football.

I think its a good trophy and would be great for nearly any club to win.
TheRedStag
TheRedStag
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:29 am

paddy wrote:It's way too long. Too many games. Not enough money. Clubs prioritize. Once they start fielding weaker teams fans lose interest. Who the hell wants a Thursday night trip to Russia anyway.

It should be a straight knockout competition like it was 10 years ago. And yes, change that atrocious name. More prize money and a guaranteed Champions League spot for the winners
All true. Nobody can deny that if the winner got a CL spot and it was a 32 team knockout comp, the EL would be a great competition.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by Lupi Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:37 am

:coffee: I think EL is not worth risking injuries and fatigue and does not attract world class players to the team and again i think every team would prefer to buy quality players rather than more mediocre/potentials .Their wages , transportation and etc makes it not worthy
Lupi
Lupi
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:10 pm

lemm me answer..

i tried watching kazan vs levante, the 2 teams played the match like it was a fporced training session

nazio vs stuttgart was worse

why should i advertise in a competition player don't wnna play
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:33 pm

so does the EL generate low income because teams treat it like crap or do teams treat it like crap because it generates low income ? hmm

Obvious answer is obvious and so should be the solution...but im guessing UEFA wouldnt want anything to compete with their cash cow
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum