lenear1030
Sri
urbaNRoots
Chumlum
REWB
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

It's your time, Lukas Podolski  - Page 2 Empty Re: It's your time, Lukas Podolski

Post by Sina Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:27 pm

meanwhile in my fantasies :whistle:

It's your time, Lukas Podolski  - Page 2 AbEEynHapr

Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

It's your time, Lukas Podolski  - Page 2 Empty Re: It's your time, Lukas Podolski

Post by Chumlum Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:01 pm

Sina your formation got me thinking about something slightly different: Rosicky and Cazorla flanking/interchanging with Jack in a 4-2-3-1 could actually be an interesting experiment ...

Less "attack-minded" on paper than when the flanks are Podolski/Walcott, i.e. forwards, and we haven't put out formations like that I think since the days of Hleb and a younger Rosicky. But as we've seen recently Rosicky (like Cazorla) still has his ability to push forward and maneuver past his man and to create. I for one would be intrigued. hmm
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Eman Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:07 pm

Chumlum wrote:Sina your formation got me thinking about something slightly different: Rosicky and Cazorla flanking/interchanging with Jack in a 4-2-3-1 could actually be an interesting experiment ...

Less "attack-minded" on paper than when the flanks are Podolski/Walcott, i.e. forwards, and we haven't put out formations like that I think since the days of Hleb and a younger Rosicky. But as we've seen recently Rosicky (like Cazorla) still has his ability to push forward and maneuver past his man and to create. I for one would be intrigued. hmm
With Arteta and Ramsey behind them, our possession game would surely benefit hmm

Then again, sacrificing width against teams that park the bus would likely hurt us in the long-run.
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:14 pm

Eman wrote:With Arteta and Ramsey behind them, our possession game would surely benefit hmm

Then again, sacrificing width against teams that park the bus would likely hurt us in the long-run.

But the thing is, Gervinho, Walcott, and even Podolski all cut inside a lot too. Stretching play simply isn't a strength of this group of players. Theo's always looking to run into the center, Podolski scores almost all of his goals from the center, and Gervinho likes to run/dribble all over the place. Plus putting on an Arsenal shirt these days seemes to drastically reduce a player's ability to put in a simple cross.

So we're already suffering on width ... what I'm curious about is if it would be possible to put Cazorla-Wilshere-Rosicky together in an AM band, make them conscious of keeping some width, and seeing if the increase in attacking ingenuity might simply unlock defenses with through balls & movement where Arsenal's chronic inability to cross has failed us. I'm not saying it's the key to success or that I ever expect Wenger to implement something like this ... it's just something I'd be personally very curious to see tried out.
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:46 pm

Stretching the play isn't really about attacking down the flanks, though. It's more about players moving into wide areas to either find space because the centre is too congested or to attract defenders towards them, thus opening up space down the sides.

The problem with a band of three playmaking attacking midfielders is that, even if you instruct them to maintain some form of width, their natural inclination will be to move into areas where they can receive the ball and influence play, and to move close to each other in order to retain possession. In these situations, the only viable form of width in the team has to be provided by the fullbacks, but if your fullbacks aren't great in forward areas, you're not going to create many chances.

Arsenal have used three AM's before, back in 2007/08 when they had Cesc, Hleb and Rosicky. However, that was aided a lot by the movement of two strikers: Adebayor, who always drifted out to the left, and van Persie, who tended to drift to the right. Currently, in our single striker system, we have a striker who rarely vacates central positions.

So you can see where the problems would lie. What's pivotal for Arsenal now, with our current lopsided formation, is for whoever is playing on the right hand side to realise that they need to start out closer to the touchline then make runs inside when the space in there. The sooner Walcott remembers this, the better.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:54 pm

GoonerJay29 wrote:Stretching the play isn't really about attacking down the flanks, though. It's more about players moving into wide areas to either find space because the centre is too congested or to attract defenders towards them, thus opening up space down the sides.

That's what can be so frustrating, is that in a lot of matches the movement isn't good or creative enough and it resorts to a fullback overlapping for a cross to nowhere! (Wish there was a smiley for 'laugh until I cry'.)

Arsenal are better at crossing when they go with pace down the flanks (Podolski crossing to Giroud a few times this season comes to mind), but not all teams will play us to allow that easily.

But yeah I see your point about the AMs and movement. We don't necessarily have the best players in other positions to help implement that system.
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by 6unner Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:53 am

GoonerJay29 wrote:
So you can see where the problems would lie. What's pivotal for Arsenal now, with our current lopsided formation, is for whoever is playing on the right hand side to realise that they need to start out closer to the touchline then make runs inside when the space in there. The sooner Walcott remembers this, the better.

The problem with this is that when Cazarola starts on the left he spends the majority of his time in the center of the pitch. Then the defense starts to cheat to the right with nobody at the left wing. When this happens Walcott can start where ever he wants if the defense is overloaded on his side he is not going to be able to do anything. We need somebody on the left that will stay on the left side of the pitch. Cazorla does not.

6unner
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:32 pm

Our left fullback can do that, so you don't necessarily need a left sided attacker to stay on the left as well one to stay on the right. Gibbs does it very well, making well timed runs beyond defenders. Monreal doesn't do it quite as much.

Our play will be better with Gibbs in there, imo.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:34 pm

Sina wrote:It's your time, Lukas Podolski  - Page 2 Tumblr10

:bow: Heart

Thanks for this SIna, I am stealing it. Proud
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:41 pm

no prob mate Wink
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:20 pm

Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud has had his appeal for wrongful dismissal rejected, the Football Association confirms.

C'MON POLDI SAVE US PLS
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:26 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud has had his appeal for wrongful dismissal rejected, the Football Association confirms.

C'MON POLDI SAVE US PLS

Has a red card appeal ever NOT been rejected? Especially for Arsenal.

I hope to god Wenger does not go with his usual crazy line up and start Gervinho or Theo.

Podolski. :bow:
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:45 pm

GoonerJay29 wrote:Cazorla's best form us has been in the centre, though it's kind of a moot point since that's where he ends up even if does play LAM.

I'd debate that there is something wrong with the set-up, in that with the players play within it, we become too narrow. Cazorla coming inside is fine, but the LB needs to become a LW which Monreal doesn't do and the RW needs to stay out wide to stretch the play, which Walcott doesn't do anymore; he's beginning to play closer and closer to Giroud.

This is where Podolski is useful because although he also doesn't stick to the left hand side, he doesn't drift into central areas or even to the right hand side.

@Mole... Pretty much this.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Eman Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:52 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud has had his appeal for wrongful dismissal rejected, the Football Association confirms.

C'MON POLDI SAVE US PLS
It was definitely not a red card IMO :facepalm:

Oh well, I want Poldi to play anyway so it could be worse.
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:23 pm

I don't see how it was any different from Sidwell's red card (which was justified).

I guess you could say Sidwell's was a bit worse and tbf it was, but both are red cards. Both are going high with studs up, clearly very recklessly and those types of challenges are the ones that get players injured. I'm sure you were shouting red after Sidwell's challenge and Fulham fans were shouting red after Girouds, and in this case both sets of fans are right.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Eman Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:51 pm

CBarca wrote:I don't see how it was any different from Sidwell's red card (which was justified).

I guess you could say Sidwell's was a bit worse and tbf it was, but both are red cards. Both are going high with studs up, clearly very recklessly and those types of challenges are the ones that get players injured. I'm sure you were shouting red after Sidwell's challenge and Fulham fans were shouting red after Girouds, and in this case both sets of fans are right.
CBarca pls Rolling Eyes

Sidwell's was studs on ankle with nothing of the ball. Had Arteta been standing differently, he could have Eduardo/Ramsey'd him.
It's your time, Lukas Podolski  - Page 2 8664729355_fbc44988e5_o
Giroud's studs on the other hand landed square on the ball, so he lost balance and fell over, and the Fulham player 'fell' over his legs (late reaction after minimal contact :facepalm:).

The closest his studs got to Manolev was still a football's distance from his body; had no ball been there, Giroud still would not have made contact with him, although he would have taken him down.
It's your time, Lukas Podolski  - Page 2 IUwk1BLKXh2Cy
You really can't compare the two when you look at them side by side. There's no way Giroud should be out for 3 games for that :coffee:
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:03 am

CBarca wrote:I don't see how it was any different from Sidwell's red card (which was justified).

You can't be serious ?
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:16 am

Giroud's clearly trying to trap the ball, hence why his foot is above the ball. Unfortunately, his right foot slips while doing so, so his left foot ends up going into Manolev's leg. You can even clearly see that Giroud's foot rolls over the ball for further evidence he wasn't going in for a tackle there.

The contact does make it look bad and ultimately that's what got Giroud sent off (and his red subsequently upheld). If he slips over and doesn't make contact with Manolev, Giroud would not have received a red card.

Contrast that with Sidwell's challenge, which may have seen him see red even if he missed Arteta.

When I saw Giroud's first time, I thought it was a red, too, so I can't begrudge the decision there and then. Upon review, though, the card should have been rescinded.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:04 am

Morning all,

it seems somewhat quieter this morning. Hopefully there are a few Manchester hangovers, some of which include acute food poisoning and 72 hour ebola as they ready themselves for the trip to play us on Sunday.

The Arsenal news yesterday was not particularly good as Olivier Giroud’s red card appeal was rejected. The FA’s disciplinary committee who rescinded an over the top because he slipped red card by Vincent Kompany on Jack Wilshere – decided not to do likewise for the Frenchman, but it’s no surprise really.

The issue now is that we have to find a solution ahead of a game from which we definitely need something this weekend. There are three obvious candidates, it’s probably worth looking at their pros and cons. Starting with:

Lukas Podolski
Pros: Plenty of experience as a striker for Cologne; left foot like Thor’s hammer; takes a good free kick; some of his finishes this season have been outstanding

Cons: Has been nursing an ankle injury since September, meaning he’s sluggish and lacks pace; has barely been picked there all season, suggesting Wenger isn’t convinced; may require a London cab to get him through 90 minutes

Theo Walcott
Pros: Still the top scorer; has lots of pace; is quick; is very fast; can run at high speed; velocity goes to 11; is capable of sprinting with great alacrity; once beat Speedy Gonzalez in a race; after a few weeks out should have plenty of energy

Cons: Unsuited to playing as a central striker in this system; hold up play non-existent; will be out-muscled by United centre-halves; form is in the toilet since new contract

Gervinho
Pros: Live-wire, full of energy and running; is also fast; had a decent spell there early in the season scoring 5 goals in his first 7 games; has found some form recently; unpredictability makes it hard for defenders to know what he’s going to do

Cons: Is Gervinho; unpredictability makes it hard for teammates to know what he’s going to do; unpredictability makes it hard for himself to know what he’s going to do; finishing can often leave something to be desired; often makes it look like he’s kicking a 20 pound medicine ball rather than a football

So, I think what that tells us is that there’s no obvious solution at this moment in time. Were he fully fit then it’d have to be Podolski, but unless we can get him juiced up like a hepcat on boogie-woogie pills it’s difficult to see how he’d manage. I remain entirely unconvinced by Walcott in a central role, regardless of how often he tries to hint he wants to play there by drifting in from the right and leaving Sagna scratching his head about who to pass to. Therefore, by default, it could be that Gervinho is the best option.

Which leads me to the conclusion that those ‘fans’ who celebrated Giroud’s red card and suspension after the game on Saturday are even more stupid than I thought. And that’s quite the feat because I thought they were pretty stupid to begin with. There’s nobody saying he’s the perfect centre-forward, I doubt there are too many people completely blind to the flaws he has in his game, but roistering over the absence of our only real central-striking option is mindless at this point of the season.

Yes, it points to a lack of depth in the squad, but that’s hardly news – it’s been a topic of discussion for the entire season. I’ve feared a time when the paucity of options would come back to bite us in the arse, and unless one of the three above steps up, then we could find the final four games of this campaign tough going.

That said, another point worth bearing in mind is that although we certainly lack forward choices, the goals don’t have to come from forwards. We’ve got talented midfield players who, Cazorla aside, have a very poor return in front of goal this season. Arteta’s have all come from penalties (I think there might have been one scrappy 2 foot header), Aaron Ramsey has 1, Jack Wilshere has 2 and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain 2, but only the latter has scored in the Premier League (during the 7-3 win over Newcastle).

Tomas Rosicky got 2 the other week against West Brom, but that’s not as healthy as it could be. In the absence of Giroud, and when the forwards are going through a period of difficult form, you look to other areas of your team to help and there’s no doubt the midfield could contribute more in that regard. Anyway, as the week goes on and we hear more from the boss we’ll be able to get a better idea of what he’s planning on doing.

On the flip side, for all his suitability to the role, it’s not as if Giroud is a goal machine who has been banging them in left, right and centre in recent weeks. He’s scored 3 in his last 12 appearances, so while he’s the man who fits the central striking position best from the squad we have, it’s not as if we’re trying to replace our only goalscorer.

Perhaps it might refocus others, force them to step and take responsibility. Somebody’s got to. The points are too valuable for that not happen. I guess we’ll find out who, if anyone, is ready for that.

Till tomorrow.

Arseblog sums it up about right.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:31 am

Hmm. Those gifs are very good, being able to watch them a lot of times, I can say...I'm not one to put up a petty fight and try and convince anyone otherwise, I think I was in the wrong here.

I do agree with Jay though that I hardly blame the ref, in real time, for giving it a red. But that in retrospect that's very harsh. It's still a stupid and clumsy challenge from Giroud but it is very harsh to give it a red.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:39 am

Yea i don't blame the referee. Like Arsene said, once Sidwell was off, any challenge which even looked like a two footed lunge even if it wasn't, would have been punished with a red.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eman Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:33 pm

Yeah, even Wenger thought it was a red at first, but the thing that was frustrating was the decision not to rescind it after the fact. The FA :facepalm:
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum