Sina
urbaNRoots
Ali
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Goalkeeper Situation Empty Goalkeeper Situation

Post by Ali Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:25 pm

We have a slight goalkeeper situation at the back, and lot's of the time it's hard to pick who we want as a first choice. While obviously we have some very good goalkeepers in the team, are they world class? Are they able to play at an Arsenal level? If they are, which ones should start? So many questions to ask, but I'm just going to post a quick review of our options.

Wojciech Szczęsny

Goalkeeper Situation 1766435081
Second choice?!?

Wojciech, who at the moment, looks like he's going to end up as our first choice goalkeeper, won that very position at the age of 20. His father Maciej Szczęsny was also a goalkeeper, who's most famed moment must be punching Roberto Mancini in the face. He arrived to Arsenal from Legia Warsaw in 2006 as a bright prospect and Wenger and his staff praised him constantly. Very passionate about our team, he's been with us for 7 years and has said he wants to be Arsenals #1 until he retires. Very confident and composed, Wojciech looks like a goalkeeper who would stop a penalty when the opposition has one. Very young, and bright future.

Łukasz Fabiański

Goalkeeper Situation 2719098414

Eyeing that first place.

When I say Fabiański, I don't mean that young goalkeeper who kept making mistakes and costing us points. I'm talking about the sturdy goalkeeper we have right now between the sticks. He also joined from Legia Warsaw, and has been with us for 6 years. He had taken over from Almunia when Almunia was injured (And not very good to be honest) and was putting in an incredible shift, but then got injured himself, which lead to Wojciech taking over and hitting great form. Wenger would not remove Wojciech when Fabiański came back, and he had to win his place again which he did this year. After some bad form from Szczesny, Fabiański was given a run out and did excellent. Kept a clean sheet against Bayern at the Allianz Arena and is doing very well now. His contract runs out in the summer.

Vito Mannone

Goalkeeper Situation Article-2214987-15644224000005DC-345_306x423

Focused.

The Don Vito has been with us for around 8 years, and is third place right about now. Now Vito has played a few games this season and generally has played a few games a season for the last 3 seasons. He looks good, but not exceptional. Two years older than Szczesny, we can't consider him a propsect, but is young for a goalkeeper. At first glance, he doesn't seem like he has much a chance if a chance at all at Arsenal, but he's third choice and we can't rule him out. He's played a few games and shown us that he IS capable of giving top class performances.

Asmir Begović

Goalkeeper Situation Asmir-Begovic_2868158

Ready to step up

Asmir, who we are currently linked to, plays at the Britannia for Stoke City. He is currently hailed as the best young goalkeeper in the EPL. He is playing at a very high level and is an excellent and capable goalkeeper. He is 25 years old. Tony Pulis has said that Asmir once refused to play a League Cup game against Shrewsbury Town and Pulis called the decision very disrespectful. Begovic has denied the accusation. He would reportedly cost us around £15 million.

René Adler

Goalkeeper Situation Rene-adler-hamburg

LOL! They're my competition?

Adler currently plays at Hamburg after leaving Leverkusen on a free transfer. He was their first team goalkeeper but after many injuries, was replaced by Bernd Leno. Adler was the first team choice goalkeeper for Germany before he got injured and is now second, only behind Manuel Neuer. He's done some impressive things at Leverkusen such as stopping Schalke's record of 13 games unbeaten, Stuttgart's record of five games unbeaten and Hamburg's four-game winning spree with a saved penalty kick against Rafael van der Vaart. He is currently the closest one from the nominees to be considered world class and would be an incredible signing. Since he arrived at Hamburg for free, many speculate that he would cost as low as £5 million. Just today Frank Arnesen, sporting director at Rene Adler’s club Hamburg, has stated, “It is known that Arsenal are looking for a goalkeeper.”
Adler was also talking to Bild, very happy at the Arsenal link. “For any player, it is an honour [to be linked with Arsenal],” He said, “It is something that inspires me even more, but it is not distracting me.”

So who do you think should be our top three goalkeepers next season?
Ali
Ali
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Goalkeeper Situation Empty Re: Goalkeeper Situation

Post by urbaNRoots Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:01 pm

One of Caballero, J. Cesar, Adler first GK.

Szczesny 2nd choice.

Martinez 3rd choice.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:17 pm

nice work Ali
maybe You can add a poll?

while i still believe Szcz can make it as a top GK

Im all in for getting proven Keeper that can do the job and be safe hands
so if we can find some bargain i would welcome the idea

but not sure Szcz would be patient to get his chance then or not

also maybe new trainer for him hmm
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:54 pm

Still yet to see any concrete evidence as to why Szczesny shouldn't be our no.1 keeper and why we suddenly have an apparent goalkeeping situation
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Eman Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:10 pm

I'm actually happy with our options at the moment, but Fabianski is probably leaving at the end of the season unless Arsene can convince him to stay when his contract is up. Also, Mannone may want to play more often instead of being second choice, although I do rate him as a consistent backup. I'm not overly concerned about Szczesny being our first choice, but given what could happen in the summer, a new goalkeeper might be a necessity.

If so, I'm happy with Begovic or Adler, although I would probably lean towards Begovic because he's one of those guys I saw when he was 20, said he would be great, and he became great when nobody else knew who he was. If only our national team coaches had given him his chance before he got fed up and switched allegiance to Bosnia :facepalm:
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by 6unner Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:37 pm

I do not think that a replacement for Szczesny should be a need either. With Fabiański and Vito I do understand that we might need to be replacing one or even both of them. So I could see a backup as a potential. Szczesny tho started the season as a rock star in goal. After a while tho other teams figured out that when Santos was in they could take advantage of him that caused issues. When Santos was no longer playing it was figured out that if you pressed our midfield that they at times were prone to making mistakes and turning the ball over in bad locations. With as much as we have been passing the ball back to our side of the pitch this year with the less than consistent play at CB. Bad locations mean bad for any GK. Won't even talk about corners and free kicks, since the tactics behind or defense of them is tragic at best.

6unner
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by lenear1030 Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:43 pm

i think you guys are crazy if think szczesny is going to be 2nd string for us. we're gonna have to sell him if we buy someone else
lenear1030
lenear1030
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:49 pm

Adler is Manure fan btw No
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Eman Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:07 pm

lenear1030 wrote:i think you guys are crazy if think szczesny is going to be 2nd string for us. we're gonna have to sell him if we buy someone else
If we lose Fabianski and perhaps Mannone as well though, it will be a move out of necessity for competition. If Szczesny were to get his panties in a knot about us buying another GK for competition when we are lacking in numbers, it would be pretty damn childish. If we went out and bought a Casillas, that would be one thing, but getting Adler or Begovic or someone of their quality would not even guarantee that Szczesny would warm the bench for the entire season.
Sina wrote:Adler is Manure fan btw No
Begovic it is :coffee:

Last edited by Eman on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:08 pm

Lex wrote:Still yet to see any concrete evidence as to why Szczesny shouldn't be our no.1 keeper and why we suddenly have an apparent goalkeeping situation

Fabianski out of contract (don't think he & us will want to renew) and Mannone are gone in the summer.

Another GK needed. Hamburg Sporting Director said everyone knows are after a goalkeeper, so we might aswell accept and discuss it.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:09 pm

lenear1030 wrote:i think you guys are crazy if think szczesny is going to be 2nd string for us. we're gonna have to sell him if we buy someone else

If he can't accept competition and the fact that he needs to improve then we might aswell let him go.

A shame though... we missed out on Lloris because of him.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:59 pm

Thanks Sina!

Guys to add to conversation, I don't think that we need a goalkeeper. That's the key word, NEED a goalkeeper. However, a friend got me thinking. He said, you're Arsenal. You don't NEED a goalkeeper to get one, you GET one to UPGRADE your defense. Maybe it's time we buy a top class goalkeeper until Szcz is ready to become world class? Szcz is an excellent goalkeeper, but at the moment, he's not world class.
Ali
Ali
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:04 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:

If he can't accept competition and the fact that he needs to improve then we might aswell let him go.

A shame though... we missed out on Lloris because of him.
yes.. he needs to accept more competition.. Btw, can Lloris be considered a miss ?
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:28 pm

Ali :bow:

Szcz/Adler/Martinez. :coffee:

Would like Fabianksi to extend but its wishful.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Arsenalfaithfull Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:57 pm

Pick Begovic! Why? PL proven, Commanding, Huge frame, Intimidating, and the best of all... old enough to take Woj under his wings. I would even look at Swartser (even though he is in the wrong end of 30s). He would be old enough to coach/ gradually bed Szczesny in.

I think we are under rather our keeper because of his few blunders this season. Need I remind you how many times he has rescued us in the past?
CL football from last year comes to mind. The double penalty save again Kuyt. I still think he will develop into being a WC keeper.
Arsenalfaithfull
Arsenalfaithfull
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:41 pm

Arsenalfaithfull wrote:Pick Begovic! Why? PL proven, Commanding, Huge frame, Intimidating, and the best of all... old enough to take Woj under his wings. I would even look at Swartser (even though he is in the wrong end of 30s). He would be old enough to coach/ gradually bed Szczesny in.

I think we are under rather our keeper because of his few blunders this season. Need I remind you how many times he has rescued us in the past?
CL football from last year comes to mind. The double penalty save again Kuyt. I still think he will develop into being a WC keeper.

I think you contradict yourself in your two paragraphs.

You say Szczesny can become a WC keeper (which I agree with) and then suggest us to sign Begovic who's only 2 years older than Szczesny and has many years in him.

If we sign someone as young or younger than Begovic, Szczesny is done with Arsenal in my opinion.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:57 pm

We only need one great GK , not 2 or 3 . Thebest would be someone like Brad friediel as back up for a young keeper .

Szc won't accept the 2nd place so either you let him g or trust him 100%. i don't mind letting him go even if he becomes the great gk he could be , i won't regret it.

but i don't like the way things are going on right now. Wenger is the one who put his faith into players like Senderos, Denilson, Bendtner, giroud, Szc, Vermaleen, even diaby ... supporting them and now that things are going wrong they are paying the price. i'm sorry but except for diaby i never thought that any of the players above were going to be WC.
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Mon May 06, 2013 4:24 pm

Szcz played great against QPR and made some good saves.

Goalkeeper Situation IId6eHLUoRNPz

Goalkeeper Situation IGYtZQvsPw4Ud
Ali
Ali
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by juventus101 Mon May 06, 2013 8:13 pm

There's plenty of good keepers out there that you guys could go for that would be an upgrade over what you have now.

Rensing, Zieler, Sommer, Adler, Benaglio, Howard, Handanovic, Caballero, Mandanda, etc I could all see being reasonably priced and willing to go to Arsenal.
juventus101
juventus101
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon May 06, 2013 8:29 pm

Yea think Adler is coming.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Mon May 06, 2013 9:58 pm

juventus101 wrote:There's plenty of good keepers out there that you guys could go for that would be an upgrade over what you have now.

Rensing, Zieler, Sommer, Adler, Benaglio, Howard, Handanovic, Caballero, Mandanda, etc I could all see being reasonably priced and willing to go to Arsenal.

I have to disagree with Rensing, Sommer Zieler,, Benaglio, Howard, and Caballero. They aren't a class above Szcz.
Ali
Ali
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Tue May 07, 2013 8:35 am

Szcz is 22. Give him time. He can be better than De Gaya.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Wed May 08, 2013 5:48 am

Ali"The Superman"8775 wrote:Szcz played great against QPR and made some good saves.

Goalkeeper Situation IId6eHLUoRNPz

Goalkeeper Situation IGYtZQvsPw4Ud
nice.. and that point blanc save on the face which prevented RIP scoring.. Proud
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Wed May 15, 2013 8:06 pm

Szcz also played excellently against Wigan including making ANOTHER spectacular save against Kone when the game was 1-1 to keep us in the game.
Ali
Ali
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:34 pm

Make or break season Up Coming One IMO
if This is another season that he shows Promises yet makes some Gaffes and Gets Injured........
how many more seasons we should Go Through such things
Pls Prove your Worth
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down