Would you rather win the FA cup/EL or qualify for the CL?

+11
VendettaRed07
DeletedUser#1
Sri
El Gunner
Lex
adoptiongunner
lenear1030
RealGunner
Sina
Raptorgunner
BarrileteCosmico
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Would you rather win an FA cup/EL or qualify for the CL?

Would you rather win the FA cup/EL or qualify for the CL? Vote_lcap88%Would you rather win the FA cup/EL or qualify for the CL? Vote_rcap 88% 
[ 14 ]
Would you rather win the FA cup/EL or qualify for the CL? Vote_lcap6%Would you rather win the FA cup/EL or qualify for the CL? Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 1 ]
Would you rather win the FA cup/EL or qualify for the CL? Vote_lcap6%Would you rather win the FA cup/EL or qualify for the CL? Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 1 ]
Would you rather win the FA cup/EL or qualify for the CL? Vote_lcap0%Would you rather win the FA cup/EL or qualify for the CL? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Would you rather win the FA cup/EL or qualify for the CL? Vote_lcap0%Would you rather win the FA cup/EL or qualify for the CL? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 16

Would you rather win the FA cup/EL or qualify for the CL? Empty Would you rather win the FA cup/EL or qualify for the CL?

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed May 15, 2013 11:43 am

The Wigan thread made me think about this. Which would you choose?
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Would you rather win the FA cup/EL or qualify for the CL? Empty Re: Would you rather win the FA cup/EL or qualify for the CL?

Post by Raptorgunner Wed May 15, 2013 11:46 am

For me its CL.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Would you rather win the FA cup/EL or qualify for the CL? Empty Re: Would you rather win the FA cup/EL or qualify for the CL?

Post by Sina Wed May 15, 2013 11:48 am

Would you rather win the FA cup/EL or qualify for the CL? Xowen10is that a queston?
CL
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed May 15, 2013 11:50 am

CL for me as well.

The respect and fame it has given us in Europe over the last 13 years. We can attract the best players, and to play in the 2nd best competition in the world. It's CL for me

But it doesn't have to be either of the two for us. It should be both :coffee:

Like the old times
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lenear1030 Wed May 15, 2013 11:53 am

I wouldn't mind winning the EL. To me, it's no mickey mouse trophy. I'd just hope that in that scenario we finished in the top 4 to make the CL the next year...
lenear1030
lenear1030
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by adoptiongunner Wed May 15, 2013 12:37 pm

I prefer the EL the trophy in the cabinet first then we get to champion league following season

adoptiongunner
adoptiongunner
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by adoptiongunner Wed May 15, 2013 12:41 pm

I prefer the EL the trophy in the cabinet first then we get to champion league following season
and there wont be 8 years without trophy slang again

adoptiongunner
adoptiongunner
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Wed May 15, 2013 12:45 pm

Put it this way, had Wigan stayed up, no top players would flock to them because they won the FA cup
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed May 15, 2013 3:06 pm

CL for sure...

But don't worry the trophies are coming, we'll be winning them soon.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Wed May 15, 2013 4:46 pm

For a small town club with less resources, domestic cups matter more than staying up, a la Birmingham and Wigan.

For a creme de la creme club, a la Arsenal, the consistency and CL qualification will define the transfers and the way forward, not Europa League or Carling Cup.

The levels of expectation are markedly different. Thats what makes them super clubs.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Wed May 15, 2013 6:35 pm

But, don't you want to attract top players in order to WIN A TROPHY ??? (and not 4th place one)

what's the point of having top players if you don't aim to win anything ....

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Wed May 15, 2013 7:02 pm

Harry Redknapp wrote:But, don't you want to attract top players in order to WIN A TROPHY ??? (and not 4th place one)

Well I suppose the aim is to win the league or CL or FA without having to finish outside top 4 to do it.

I'd sacrifice one season of no CL to win the FA Cup just to get that 8 years no trophy monkey off of our backs.. and to focus on the league alone the next season. But not everyone thinks that way, and thats ok.

I know some believe that no CL means no top signings, that making CL is like oxygen to us or w/e but I think thats a bit of nonsense. Arsenal doesn't stop being arsenal after one year of finishing outside top 4. It would eventually really hurt to be out of it for several years in a row, but that seems like a different question to me.

Its all about the money, which we have. And if we are willing to spend it then the players will come.

Last edited by VendettaRed07 on Wed May 15, 2013 7:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBĂ©ninois Wed May 15, 2013 7:03 pm

Harry Redknapp wrote:But, don't you want to attract top players in order to WIN A TROPHY ??? (and not 4th place one)

We obviously aim to win something ..

LeBĂ©ninois
LeBĂ©ninois
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Wed May 15, 2013 7:13 pm

Sepi, I dont consider FA Cup, EL and Carling cup a trophy. I have been waiting for a trophy so long that none of them will replace CL football for me.

Only CL or EPL trophies I look forward to.

We have been making CL for so long that, that I cant go with out it, I can go without a FA cup for another 100 years.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Wed May 15, 2013 7:39 pm

Raptorgunner wrote:

Sepi, I dont consider FA Cup, EL and Carling cup a trophy. I have been waiting for a trophy so long that none of them will replace CL football for me.

Only CL or EPL trophies I look forward to.

We have been making CL for so long that, that I cant go with out it, I can go without a FA cup for another 100 years.

I take it as you didn't celebrate when Arsenal beat United in that massively heated FA Cup final in 2005 then ??

or you weren't gutted when you lost the Uefa Cup final to Galatasaray in penalties?

Arsenal have won 10 FA Cup trophies. that's one of the biggest bragging points of Arsenal. the oldest trophy ever. yet, you say you don't count it ??

Did you bother watching the FA cup finals during Wenger's reign (4 of them )

I don't know about you Arsenal fans. You seem to be from very different DNA. I was out of my mind in joy and tears when we beat Cardiff for the league cup last year. I spent $80 on beer, I cried in happiness to see Gerrard lift a trophy after 6 years.

a few months later, I was gutted beyond words at losing FA Cup final to Chelsea. I didn't eat for 2 days. I kept waching Carroll's header being saved by an amazing Cech and thinking what it could have been.

I had a kidney stone operation the day before Liverpool's EL semi-final vs atletico madrid 3 years ago. I left the hospital at 12 PM, and without even getting home..STRAIGHT FROM HOSPITAL, I went to pub to watch the game. the noise, the passion of the fans was amazing. We were in a EUROPEAN SEMI FINAL !!!!

I absolutely find it unbelievable, that you find your club too good for some trophies and glories, despite a near decade drought.

I believe most of you have forgotten the joy of seeing your team with a medal up their necks, at the podium with champagne.

I guarantee you one thing. When Arsenal eventually wins something again (what ever it may be), you'll be feeling very differently. Because you'll remember the amazing feeling of how winning a trophy and adding to club's history feels like.

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed May 15, 2013 7:42 pm

Lex wrote:Put it this way, had Wigan stayed up, no top players would flock to them because they won the FA cup
Not sure I agree with this. If you miss out on the CL one time it probably won't make a huge difference, tottenham is able to get top players like vertonghen in spite of not playing in the CL, if you miss out constantly then I would agree. But the Arsenal brand would still have a lot of appeal to the prospective players.

What if you considered this from the player's position? They're not going to tell their grandkids "and that was the season we narrowly got 4th place by a 1 point difference", but he would tell them "and that time we won the oldest cup in history"

Last edited by BarrileteCosmico on Wed May 15, 2013 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Wed May 15, 2013 8:18 pm

Maybe I am different but for me going against the best teams in the world is better than winning a small trophy.

Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Wed May 15, 2013 8:23 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:
Lex wrote:Put it this way, had Wigan stayed up, no top players would flock to them because they won the FA cup
Not sure I agree with this. If you miss out on the CL one time it probably won't make a huge difference, tottenham is able to get top players like vertonghen in spite of not playing in the CL, if you miss out constantly then I would agree. But the Arsenal brand would still have a lot of appeal to the prospective players.
Tottenham play the odds when it comes to transfers. For every one player that does sign, at least fifteen reject them. And I believe Lionel Bale himself said his future at WHL hinges on whether Sp*rs manage to get CL football or not.

Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Wed May 15, 2013 8:23 pm

Kind of Surprised at this thread. hasn't it gotten to the point where you feel you've waited long enough for glory?

I know it would drive me mad by now.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Wed May 15, 2013 8:41 pm

Kick wrote:Kind of Surprised at this thread. hasn't it gotten to the point where you feel you've waited long enough for glory?

I know it would drive me mad by now.

lol really? how long have you been a chelsea supporter? Very Happy
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Wed May 15, 2013 8:56 pm

Since 2000. Would you like to see my First Shirt?

You have no idea how happy I am that we won the EL, even if it is only the EL. After 8 years, I'd take that for one season out of the CL.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Wed May 15, 2013 9:08 pm

I'd be happy we won a trophy a la EL, but I'd be happy if we won the Community Shield too

To me, the EL is the equivalent of failing the police exam and becoming a mall cop
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Wed May 15, 2013 9:11 pm

Lex wrote:I'd be happy we won a trophy a la EL, but I'd be happy if we won the Community Shield too

To me, the EL is the equivalent of failing the police exam and becoming a mall cop

still better than being unemployed, sitting home, and mooching off parents/friends :coffee:

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Wed May 15, 2013 9:59 pm

Lex wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:
Tottenham play the odds when it comes to transfers. For every one player that does sign, at least fifteen reject them. And I believe Lionel Bale himself said his future at WHL hinges on whether Sp*rs manage to get CL football or not.

Thumbs up
for a club like Arsenal who balances the budget on CL money, it is indeed Oxygen itself.. and one season out of it means, the benefits go to Spuds/Everton strengthening the rivals and making it difficult for ourselves.. there is no guarantee that spending a 100 million will win u trophies, unless u can do it consistently for some time like Chavs or Shitty.. and we dont have the money to do it...
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Wed May 15, 2013 10:09 pm

Lex wrote:I'd be happy we won a trophy a la EL, but I'd be happy if we won the Community Shield too

Thumbs up
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next