Sri
BarrileteCosmico
RealGunner
sportsczy
Swanhends
18 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

New York City getting another MLS team - Page 2 Empty Re: New York City getting another MLS team

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue May 21, 2013 8:43 pm

Don't see how anyone can complain about this name. I think the best name in the MLS is FC Dallas. But then again I'm not American.

BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

New York City getting another MLS team - Page 2 Empty Re: New York City getting another MLS team

Post by VendettaRed07 Tue May 21, 2013 8:56 pm

Swanhends wrote:
VendettaRed07 wrote:
schrutebucks wrote:
No...just no...The fact that this type of sponsorship/advertising/**** is in my league makes my stomach turn. It's everything that I hate about this modern day iteration of this sport, even a name is up for change due to big business.

Oh well, they have nothing to show for it. 0 trophies. Crap club.

Well at least the Red Bulls is something.. Like you can say, hey guys wanna go to a red bulls game?... Or say hey theres a red bulls game on.. What are we going to say with this team?.. Whats their nickname gonna be?...Because nobody says the full name of a sports team every time they talk about them.. NYCFC is so bland, and long.. What are people gonna call them?.. YOrk City? lol... City FC?..

I mean most of the other MLS teams have good catchy names.. The Sounders, The Galaxy, The Fire, DC United, etc..

How is New York City FC any different than Liverpool, Fulham, Chelsea, Manchester City etc etc etc?
they are a little bit shorter, and they have been around so long that a lot of the teams are more popular than the places that they are even located.

Like if you type in Liverpool into google, you won't have to add FC, itll show up right there as the first result, the team news etc.

A team that wants to get popular in a league like the MLS that isn't all THAT huge yet, I can see people in america not really getting it when they hear the name that its a "soccer" team I guess.

Plus while Manchester is a City its not called manchester city. So City is a name that is synonymous with the club, Where as thats not true for New york City, its actually called new york city.

Plus they are going to be playing in Queens most likely, so its also kind of misleading. it is new york but its not new york city. Queens FC or something would have been a lot better.
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue May 21, 2013 9:07 pm

Reading about this left a bad taste in my mouth honestly. I actually like the Cosmos as a club and I respect what they're trying to do. The emergance of this team all, but condemns them to NASL for a very long time with little prospects of coming up to MLS unless the league expands beyond 20 teams.

As for the name, I think it's fine....they'll end up just calling them "City" like the English fans call Man City.

All-in-all, this is likely good for NYC, but it remains to be seen if it will be good for MLS and for US soccer on a whole.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Tue May 21, 2013 9:22 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Don't see how anyone can complain about this name. I think the best name in the MLS is FC Dallas. But then again I'm not American.

Philadelphia voted on our team name

Originally there was a lot of talk about FC Philadelphia or Philadelphia FC being tossed around. I was in favor of both of those names, but when the voting came around neither of them were options on the ballot

Our choices were: Union, Philadelphia City, AC Philadelphia, SC Philadelphia, and a voter's choice pick.

Obviously the voters choice pick wasn't going to win shit, so it basically came down to the other 4

Philadelphia City seemed kind of redundant to me
AC Philadelphia and SC Philadelphia were really dumb ideas...Its not an athletic club, and its not a sporting club, why try to act like or pretend its something its not? Its a soccer franchise, thats its..

So The Union kind of won by default Laughing
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Tue May 21, 2013 9:31 pm

Red bulls to become New York United? Razz
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue May 21, 2013 9:50 pm

Btw is there ever a chance of relegation being introduced to America or would that alienate American viewers too much?
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by 1991 Tue May 21, 2013 10:02 pm

Crap name. Go Cosmo's.
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Tue May 21, 2013 10:04 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Btw is there ever a chance of relegation being introduced to America or would that alienate American viewers too much?
It would alienate the fanbases for sure. Teams would just collapse if they got relegated
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by 1991 Tue May 21, 2013 10:13 pm

Looking at it closer it just seems like a way for Man City to avoid FFP, watch this team get piled full of Arab Sponsorship and as it's a business owned by City, they gain revenues from it.
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Tue May 21, 2013 10:20 pm

1991 wrote:Looking at it closer it just seems like a way for Man City to avoid FFP, watch this team get piled full of Arab Sponsorship and as it's a business owned by City, they gain revenues from it.

One reason why I really don't like this. If this team ends up wearing sky blue with a gold eagle badge and is just a way to promote the big club because Man City owners see all the American united fans and want a piece of that pie then MLS and Don Garber should be ashamed. The goal of MLS is to become a stand alone competitive league. It shouldn't just strive to be a collection of european club's farm teams..

VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Wed May 22, 2013 12:51 am

VendettaRed07 wrote:Oh well.. At the end of the of the day this is good news. Finally well have a complete league with a hopefully balanced schedule of one home one away game, no more of this split stuff.

Now they just need to move Chivas to Miami and we're good

Miami can't support the sports teams they already have, they are a place for sports teams to go and die.

Orlando is the obvious choice for the next franchise. Orlando City already averages 8,000 a people a game (which includes weekday games). The team as it stands could seamlessly move into the MLS and at least challenge for a playoff spot. Nevermind, that the MLS has been pretty obvious in terms of the amount of free press and visibility they've given Orlando City through their various mediums of communication.
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Wed May 22, 2013 12:56 am

Beckham intends (according to reports) to invest in an MLS club in Florida, so that's likely why City opted to look elsewhere. I don't personally think that New York was the best option but at this point it's time to hope for the best, rather than second guess.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Juveman17 Wed May 22, 2013 1:38 am

Cosmos are actually going to mean something to the area. They recently had open tryouts and called I think 4 people to tryout with the team. It's great to see a grassroots incorporation.

The Cosmos will always have a special place in the hearts of New Yorkers and once they come to the MLS I have no question that they will have the largest set of supporters between the three.
Juveman17
Juveman17
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

https://www.youtube.com/user/juveman176

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Wed May 22, 2013 1:58 am

The Cosmos aren't coming to MLS though lol

Like, they aren't even in the picture anymore

Joining NASL was the death of a Cosmos-to-MLS move for the forseeable future
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Juveman17 Wed May 22, 2013 2:00 am

Swanhends wrote:The Cosmos aren't coming to MLS though lol

Like, they aren't even in the picture anymore

Joining NASL was the death of a Cosmos-to-MLS move for the forseeable future

Sad really considering they are the only team that really represents the city of NY.
Juveman17
Juveman17
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

https://www.youtube.com/user/juveman176

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Wed May 22, 2013 2:40 am

RedOranje wrote:Beckham intends (according to reports) to invest in an MLS club in Florida, so that's likely why City opted to look elsewhere. I don't personally think that New York was the best option but at this point it's time to hope for the best, rather than second guess.

It was another infusion of cash and it helps in terms of television dollars having another team in a major market.
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by ioilersrock448 Wed May 22, 2013 2:45 am

FFS, why not look into the NASL? Here in Edmonton we have commonwealth which can hold 55,000 (albeit probably around 30,000 would be a more realistic attendance goal) but why not look here and not bring in a double team to the MLS. FC Edmonton could be the rivals of Whitecaps and get a western Canadian rivalry in the league. It doesnèt make since especially because Red Bulls are in the area and they donèt even fill the seats and now there are 3 teams (including Cosmos)?

what a joke.
ioilersrock448
ioilersrock448
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : FC Bayern

Back to top Go down

Post by TalkingReckless Wed May 22, 2013 3:51 am

Cosmos is in another league, and NYRB are in NJ
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Wed May 22, 2013 7:32 am

If this team is a success Im not sure whats going to happen with the red bulls honestly. Getting to their Stadium is an absolute nightmare. They barely fill their stadium as it is, and if there is another new york team its going to take a lot away from them. Harrison is such an awful awful location for a team. No way it even comes close to competing with a team in Queens near the Mets, Nets, Islanders.

But they are stuck there, they just built that stadium I don't see them being able to move for a long time. its a shame that so much of that franchise so so ill-concieved..

I hope they can one day move to a better area and go back to being the Metro Stars

At least for now they have Henry making them forget their troubles :bow:
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Wed May 22, 2013 6:57 pm

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/05/22/new-york-city-fc-name-claudio-reyna-director-football-operations

Claudio Reyna named director of football for New York City FC

“I am incredibly excited to again wear City’s ‘Sky Blue’ as part of the expansion of the MLS and the growth of soccer in the United States, and am honored to have been offered this opportunity."

So City confirmed to be sky blue?... I don't think I like that. Doesn't Sporting already have the Sky Blue, man city like kits?

But Reyna was a good hire imo. Even though there might be a man city bias there hes still right for the job.
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Wed May 22, 2013 7:38 pm

We'd have to know what the secondary color will be. Sporting 2nd color is navy blue as well to offset the sky blue. NYCFC might got in a completely different direction than that.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TalkingReckless Wed May 22, 2013 7:50 pm

VendettaRed07 wrote:If this team is a success Im not sure whats going to happen with the red bulls honestly. Getting to their Stadium is an absolute nightmare. They barely fill their stadium as it is, and if there is another new york team its going to take a lot away from them. Harrison is such an awful awful location for a team. No way it even comes close to competing with a team in Queens near the Mets, Nets, Islanders.

But they are stuck there, they just built that stadium I don't see them being able to move for a long time. its a shame that so much of that franchise so so ill-concieved..

I hope they can one day move to a better area and go back to being the Metro Stars

At least for now they have Henry making them forget their troubles :bow:

They built it in Harrison because Harrison council gave them the land, plus in a couple of years that area will be full of high rises (a bit like Jersey City) so more people will come
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Wed May 22, 2013 8:43 pm

McLewis wrote:We'd have to know what the secondary color will be. Sporting 2nd color is navy blue as well to offset the sky blue. NYCFC might got in a completely different direction than that.
True, hopefully its not just white. Something maybe like a light green, or even orange to keep up with the New York Blue Orange combo team colors.
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Wed May 22, 2013 10:52 pm

VendettaRed07 wrote:
McLewis wrote:We'd have to know what the secondary color will be. Sporting 2nd color is navy blue as well to offset the sky blue. NYCFC might got in a completely different direction than that.
True, hopefully its not just white. Something maybe like a light green, or even orange to keep up with the New York Blue Orange combo team colors.

Blue and orange always work together.

New York City getting another MLS team - Page 2 Kitkj
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:18 am

New York City getting another MLS team - Page 2 1672748-slide-image-1

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1672748/the-proposed-logo-of-nycs-new-soccer-team-inspired-by-the-old-subway-token#1

I like the idea but its missing something. Just glad to know its not going to be a Man City Logo. Though they need to do something to make the kits a bit more original. I don't like combining yankees navy blue with the man city sky blue. But this is still very early. We'll see how it goes.
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by TalkingReckless Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:31 am

Looks like MLS is gonna be adding another 4 more teams by end of decade... Too many teams.
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next