VPN's/Proxy's

3 posters

Go down

VPN's/Proxy's  Empty VPN's/Proxy's

Post by LeSwagg James Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:13 pm

So I just moved into place that gives you 'free' high-speed internet, but downloading torrents and online gaming are 'banned'.. Well I am able to log into the Playstation Network, and the PS store and download stuff.. But I can play BF3 and UFC Undisputed 3 online for some reason, yet I can't play FIFA 13 or NBA 2K13 online (the two games I play the most Sad)

So I purchased a VPN (Virtual Private Network) that allowed me to bypass the torrent ban, but I can't get around the gaming part since I can't get the VPN on my PS3 (well I can buy a VPN router for $250 but I don't want to do that lol).. I tried connecting an Ethernet wire from my laptop to the PS3 and going online that way (after turning on the internet sharing feature on the laptop), but it didn't work out.. So can anyone that has gone through this help me out?

Banning online gaming is blasphemous!
LeSwagg James
LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

VPN's/Proxy's  Empty Re: VPN's/Proxy's

Post by Bellabong Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:09 am

What settings did you enter for your PS3's IP?

Without saying specifically what you've done it's hard to know where to start helping...

Also, torrenting on a shared connection is on of the most asocial things you can do.
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSwagg James Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:28 am

Phritz wrote:What settings did you enter for your PS3's IP?

Without saying specifically what you've done it's hard to know where to start helping...

Also, torrenting on a shared connection is on of the most asocial things you can do.

Actually I just went into my network settings, right clicked on my LAN network>properties>sharing and checked off the box that allows you to share it's Internet connection.. Back in the day I used to get my PS3 online that way when I had one of those USB modems that connect directly to ur laptop and supply it with Internet.. I thought I could do the same thing here and maybe the VPN would 'rub' off on the PS3 lol

Maybe I can input the IP/DNS etc from the VPN program and then just connect wirelessly? It's classified as a 'WAN' in the network settings

I don't do much torrenting at all actually, but when I need it I need it.. Plus it's only for aboit 5 weeks until I get my own connection hopefully..

Anyways I feel like I got jipped, I hear that I will be getting free Internet included in the rent which sounds great, only to find out later that I can't game or use torrents which is mandatory for me.. Now I may have to get my own connection anyways so it's pointless really.. Screw them :coffee:
LeSwagg James
LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:54 pm

If you connect via ICS the IP of your needs to be different from your comp, but the DNS needs to match your computer.

The thing is with torrents is that not only does it use up as much bandwidth as possible, it makes 100's of connections which residential routers can't handle. It's not even about the DL speed, you're essentially hogging 100% of the routers processing power so even if you're not downloading at max speed no one else can do anything.

Do you connect directly to an ethernet cable or do you have a router?

Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSwagg James Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:00 am

There is a router on every floor that we connect too wirelessly after giving the apartment our MAC addresses...

I just want to be able to game Sad

LeSwagg James
LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:33 pm

You could make your PC into a wireless hub. You will need to enable "Internet connection sharing" (ICS) over your wireless connection. Then, you need to set up an ad-hoc wireless network, which your PS3 will connect to. Obviously, your computer will need to be turned on for your PS3 to have Internet access.

I've never done it myself... but i've seen it done. Do some research on the internet and you can find stuff.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSwagg James Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:32 pm

sportsczy wrote:You could make your PC into a wireless hub.  You will need to enable "Internet connection sharing" (ICS) over your wireless connection. Then, you need to set up an ad-hoc wireless network, which your PS3 will connect to. Obviously, your computer will need to be turned on for your PS3 to have Internet access.

I've never done it myself... but i've seen it done.  Do some research on the internet and you can find stuff.

I tried that.. The same way I enabled the LAN sharing, I enabled the wireless network card to 'share' also.. But my PS3 didn't pick up my PC when I scanned for wireless networks.. I will research it more though
LeSwagg James
LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:42 pm

make sure that you make your computer visible to scanning... for security, a lot of computers are set to invisible. Also, check your firewall and make sure that you're not blocking connection.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum