BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Pep Watch - Page 7 Empty Re: Pep Watch

Post by Vlad the Impaler Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:54 am

jibers wrote:

Trebles and quadruples where used before the wikipedia was invented. Football is a seasonal sport, it's just common sense....

I know, but you missed my point mate. They were invented before Wiki, but by who and do you know exactly what they mean? Is it written somewhere? We both know the answer.

The point is that we (the fans) used those words for the first time to highlight easier the performances of a team in one season.

In my previous post I said it is kinda 50%-50%. In the past, it was considered a treble only if you won the trophies in one single season. Nowadays, since Barcelona won six titles in 2009, this performance has been described as a 'sextuple' by many important football personalities.

In my opinion a 'sextuple' is when you win six trophies in one season. But this doesn't mean that I don't appreciate Barca's amazing team of the year 2009. It was pure dominance. Their performance should be always remembered as one of the best in the history, but not under the name of 'sextuple'.
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:34 pm

Season or calendar year argument is just semantics. They won 6 consecutive trophies they competed for, if i correctly recall. What else can you call it besides sextuple?
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:20 pm

Vlad the Impaler wrote:
jibers wrote:

Trebles and quadruples where used before the wikipedia was invented. Football is a seasonal sport, it's just common sense....

I know, but you missed my point mate. They were invented before Wiki, but by who and do you know exactly what they mean? Is it written somewhere? We both know the answer.

The point is that we (the fans) used those words for the first time to highlight easier the performances of a team in one season.

In my previous post I said it is kinda 50%-50%. In the past, it was considered a treble only if you won the trophies in one single season. Nowadays, since Barcelona won six titles in 2009, this performance has been described as a 'sextuple' by many important football personalities.

In my opinion a 'sextuple' is when you win six trophies in one season. But this doesn't mean that I don't appreciate Barca's amazing team of the year 2009. It was pure dominance. Their performance should be always remembered as one of the best in the history, but not under the name of 'sextuple'.

By what important personalities? rofl

Journalists in Spain started it. It's the equivalent of people in tennis calling a slam in tennis a grand slam. It is wrong, but people still do it. A grandslam is when someone wins all 4 grandslams in the same year, the way a season in tennis is judged. The media create nonsense and I should follow?

kiranr wrote:
Season or calendar year argument is just semantics. They won 6 consecutive trophies they competed for, if i correctly recall. What else can you call it besides sextuple?

and? 3 where in the 08/09 rightly called a treble, then they won 3 more in the next SEASON...

Consecutive or not is irrelevant...again I ask, does that mean UNited won the quadruple in 99 and 08...

Football has always been judged seasonally, unti the media in Spain wanted to keep euogisong Barcelona... They won a treble and then they won a quadruple the following season, that's what happened....

jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad the Impaler Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:04 pm

jibers wrote:
Vlad the Impaler wrote:
jibers wrote:

By what important personalities? rofl

Journalists in Spain started it. It's the equivalent of people in tennis calling a slam in tennis a grand slam. It is wrong, but people still do it. A grandslam is when someone wins all 4 grandslams in the same year, the way a season in tennis is judged. The media create nonsense and I should follow?

The media started it, but many other ex-football players and managers used to mention Barca's achievements from 2009 under the name of 'sextuple'. They are wrong and I do not agree with their words.

Def. wrote:Winning the four majors in consecutive tournaments but not in the same year is known as a Non-Calendar Year Grand Slam, while winning all four majors at any point during the course of a career is known as a Career Grand Slam. Winning the Olympic gold medal in addition to the four majors in a one calendar year is known as a "Golden Grand Slam" or more commonly the "Golden Slam".

So your example is fine and I agree with it. So many players didn't win all the Slams in tennis so they can't say they have won a Grand Slam.
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:14 pm

kiranr wrote:

Think by definition it's called a treble one season and a quadruple the next. Don't ask me what difference it makes - we still talking about Supercups and CWC Laughing
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:27 pm

Look Real and Man U fans etc, if ur club did the same thing u gonna tell us u wouldnt refer it to that? Very Happy
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad the Impaler Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:30 pm

BarcaLearning wrote:Look Real and Man U fans etc, if ur club did the same thing u gonna tell us u wouldnt refer it to that? Very Happy

Honestly, I wouldn't say we won 'the sextuple' if we didn't win 6 trophies in one season. If this makes you feel better Very Happy.
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:36 pm

BarcaLearning wrote:Look Real and Man U fans etc, if ur club did the same thing u gonna tell us u wouldnt refer it to that? Very Happy

Honestly, I wouldn't. But the media started calling it that, it is what it is. I honestly don't too much care for anything outside La Liga and CL lol.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:40 pm

Wouldn't have even crossed my mind. As I said noone refers to Uniteds 08 and 99 years as quadruples...
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7