RealGunner
Gil
jibers
Firenze
RED
34 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Gareth Bale- The BPL's poster child. - Page 2 Empty Re: Gareth Bale- The BPL's poster child.

Post by stevieg8 Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:13 pm

Most people know who messi is = people who casually follow sports. Anyone who watches sportscenter will have heard his name and seen him on top 10, but if you think he has higher name recognition (and ESPECIALLY face recognition) than say... jimmie johnson, a freaking nascar driver, than you're definitely offbase.

by the same token, most of those same people are plugged enough into the sports world to have heard of bale as well, just from the madrid rumors and top 10 plays getting airtime on sportscenter - aka for the exact same reason.

my point was simply that nbc isn't advertising to people who need star power to get into the league. it's going to take quite some time for ANY soccer player to compete in face recognition with lebron/kobe/jeter, or even second tier stars below that, and it's definitely not going to happen through 8 am or noontime broadcasts (conflicting with nfl games, no less) on nbc sports. the move to pick up the epl in the us was driven by the growth of interest that has already occurred in the us, and will certainly help inspire more such growth in the future, but for their first season picking up these games? they're advertising to the people who already want to watch epl and might not have realized nbc sports is now airing the games, NOT to the super casual fans who will only recognize a player from sportscenter clips (at best). and that final part applies equally to bale, balo, neymar, messi and anyone else you want to name who plays the sport.

stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Gareth Bale- The BPL's poster child. - Page 2 Empty Re: Gareth Bale- The BPL's poster child.

Post by LeBéninois Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:15 pm

Diego Armando Maradona wrote:Balotelli has star power because

A) he is the public face of an ethnic minority with an unusual story

And
B) He acts like a crazy fool

But there is ceiling to how much stardom he can have, because tbh he just isn't THAT good. He was not respected as a player in England, the general idea was was that he was not good enough to get away with his his behaviour. Only a REAL talent can act like a fool but still be a big asset to his team. Balotelli was just a fool. The fact that he is succeeding in serie a is just embarrassing for for the state of Italian football

Laughing wat ? The lad is one of the most talented player in Serie A. I'd take him , based on pure ability, over any of Arsenal's striker right now.
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:40 pm

Should have gone with Rooney. He's the most popular player in the EPL in America. Or rather, the only one people have really heard about lol
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:54 pm

Giggity5313 wrote:Everyone knows who ronaldo is in the us... handegg fans and basketball fans, you name it. Messi, neymar.. not so much

People actually know balotelli here lol too

Gareth Bale- The BPL's poster child. - Page 2 Mj-laughing

You can always count on Thuggity to deliver some grade a Harmonica level bias...
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:15 am

jibers wrote:
Giggity5313 wrote:Everyone knows who ronaldo is in the us... handegg fans and basketball fans, you name it. Messi, neymar.. not so much

People actually know balotelli here lol too

Gareth Bale- The BPL's poster child. - Page 2 Mj-laughing

You can always count on Thuggity to deliver some grade a Harmonica level bias...

i'm not a big cr fan, but he's right. messi really doesn't have any advertising power, and that's the main way athletes get face recognition in the states. the population who watch sportscenter have heard of both, and the population that don't still couldn't pick messi out of a lineup of NBA players if you spotted them his height.

i do have to retract my earlier statement about bale, though. i asked a few friends of mine (all avid sports fans, although not into european football) and none of them had heard of him. when i tried other names to figure out who should've gone on that billboard, the only one that rang any bell was rooney, though, so it's not like i was that far off base. there just aren't many epl players with star power in the US right now.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:44 am

What?

Messi is definitely more recognizable than Ronaldo.

For the simple reason that people see Messi being plastered as the "best soccer player in the world", whereas Ronaldo doesn't get that luxury, because he's not. As for advertising, I see Messi around more than I see Ronaldo.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:33 am

Players will have to be like celebrities in order for their star power to increase. Hopefully that never happens though.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:36 am

CBarca wrote:What?

Messi is definitely  more recognizable than Ronaldo.

For the simple reason that people see Messi being plastered as the "best soccer player in the world", whereas Ronaldo doesn't get that luxury, because he's not. As for advertising, I see Messi around more than I see Ronaldo.

No he isn't tbh. Ronaldo is in bloody entertainment mags and fashion mags.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:42 am

75% of the people in US believe Christiano Ronaldo and Fat Ronaldo are the same people.
and lol at Messi not being known in the states.
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:47 am

Donuts wrote:75% of the people in US believe Christiano Ronaldo and Fat Ronaldo are the same people.
and lol at Messi not being known in the states.

Wot? They're not?!!
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:31 am

jibers wrote:
CBarca wrote:What?

Messi is definitely  more recognizable than Ronaldo.

No he isn't tbh. Ronaldo is in bloody entertainment mags and fashion mags.

If true then point conceded. Not things I ever look at Laughing
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:46 am

Well, Ronaldo parties with people like Paris Hilton, Rihanna, etc, so his exposure to the non "soccer" crowd benefits

Humble Messi isn't that type of person, he prefers to make headlines on the pitch :coffee:
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSwagg James Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:19 am

Not using El Blanco Pele is blasphemous to be honest..

What happens if Madrid buy Bale though? Laughing 
LeSwagg James
LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:35 am

'Murica would give Tottenham 250M just to KEEP Bale, to avoid this embarrassment. And inadvertantly make Tottenham one of the best teams in the world with that investment.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:35 am

Swagg wrote:Not using El Blanco Pele is blasphemous to be honest..

He'd flop and be playing the in the PL in 2 seasons.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:38 am

CR7 is a lot more marketable than Messi. Saying that, Messi is still a poster boy of the game.

Bénin wrote:
Diego Armando Maradona wrote:Balotelli has star power because

A) he is the public face of an ethnic minority with an unusual story

And
B) He acts like a crazy fool

But there is ceiling to how much stardom he can have, because tbh he just isn't THAT good. He was not respected as a player in England, the general idea was was that he was not good enough to get away with his his behaviour. Only a REAL talent can act like a fool but still be a big asset to his team. Balotelli was just a fool. The fact that he is succeeding in serie a is just embarrassing for for the state of Italian football

Laughing wat ? The lad is one of the most talented player in Serie A. I'd take him , based on pure ability,  over any of Arsenal's striker right now.  

He was the best young striker in the PL too. Not his fault Mancini is stupid and believe everything in the press. Would of rathered him at Liverpool, but I'm glad he went to Milan. Can finally shut up his doubters.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSwagg James Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:42 am

Tomwin Lannister wrote:'Murica would give Tottenham 250M just to KEEP Bale, to avoid this embarrassment. And inadvertantly make Tottenham one of the best teams in the world with that investment.

Laughing 

ynwa wrote:
Swagg wrote:Not using El Blanco Pele is blasphemous to be honest..

He'd flop and be playing the in the PL in 2 seasons.

I meant what would happen to NBC's advertisement campaign?
LeSwagg James
LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:45 am

Swagg wrote:

I meant what would happen to NBC's advertisement campaign?

It'd stall for 2 years or so or whenever he comes back.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:48 am

Ronaldo appeals to the gay community, pop culture and the female contingent.

Messi doesn't.

Ronaldo is clearly the most popular football player on the planet now that Beckham's retired and it isn't even a debate.
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Körbl Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:52 am

I might be a CR fan but trust me, him being more popular or recognizable than messi in america is not even arguable.
Körbl
Körbl
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:54 am

jibers wrote:
RED wrote:
jibers wrote:LOL. Face indeed. The prem has no 'star' power. Bar Ronaldo and Messi football has no stars atm. Bale is being force fed to everyone, but let's be honest here. The EPL is in decline.

No it's not. If you're judging it in terms of the CL, then maybe....but I call it a bad year. For instance we were one bad call away from atleast reaching the semi's....maybe even the final. And Chelsea did win the EL.

As for the league itself, I think it's more of a level playing than it's ever been, and with the new TV income small clubs will get, it will be even more competitive.

So competitive that City needed a Sheikh to compete with United and Chelsea. So competitive that we ran away with the league last season. EL is a mickey mouse cup. EPL is behind BUndesliga and La LIga and is slightly ahead of Serie A, but not for long. The star power is waning.
Funny that you mention "competitive" and "ran away with the league last season" and then you mention Bundesliga & La Liga. Remind me what the margin between Bayern & Dortmund or Barca & Madrid were last season.

We're still talking competitive and "running away with the league" right?
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:26 am

lol. either way the quality of the epl is embarassing. there is a clear gap at the top

madrid beat us
madrid beat city
dortmund embarrassed city twice
atletico madrid raped chelsea
schalke beat arsenak twice and even topped the group

the mighty epl indeed. lol. minors like mechu are coming to the league and scoring for fun. in terms of quality and tactics we are below germany and spain. tacticalky behind italy
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Grooverider Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:42 am

jibers wrote:lol. either way the quality of the epl is embarassing. there is a clear gap at the top

madrid beat us
madrid beat city
dortmund embarrassed city twice
atletico madrid raped chelsea
schalke beat arsenak twice and even topped the group

the mighty epl indeed. lol. minors like mechu are coming to the league and scoring for fun. in terms of quality and tactics we are below germany and spain. tacticalky behind italy

Oh c'mon.

Get a grip, you talk about the Prem as if it is some obscure random league in Peru ffs.

:facepalm: 
:brickwall: 
Grooverider
Grooverider
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:28 pm

Every girl i talked to knows who CR7 is.. (a lot of girls)

Every girl i talked to doesn't know who messi is lol

It's mostly the hispanic population who really know messi. Literally everyone knows who ronaldo is... trust me.. there is no confusion with "fat" ronaldo and CR
As dumb as this sounds there isn't a reason for me to make this up lol.. I'm being honest. I live here

also lol at thuggity

redded for bragging about gains in exercize thread
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:37 pm

Hawky wrote:Looks like the BPL is already helping in bolstering Real Madrid's future T-shirt sales in the US.

EPL :bow: relieving the burden off Perez's shoulders

imagine the scenario. Bale used as the posterboy for EPL, next season he signs for Real Madrid for a record fee. American fans like this Proud
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:43 pm

Gil wrote:Ronaldo appeals to the gay community, pop culture and the female contingent.

Messi doesn't
I must've hit my head and imagined all those Pepsi adverts and the vs Kobe Bryant airline advert, as well as numerous global Adidas commercials
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next