RealGunner
REWB
SamuelJayC
28 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Emirates Cup 2013 Preview - Page 5 Empty Re: Emirates Cup 2013 Preview

Post by urbaNRoots Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:47 pm

Well one positive is that the Arteta - Ramsey duo was very good again I thought, especially Ramsey... he's making a lot of Arsenal fans look like dicks (incl. me) - he has a place in the first team nailed on imo.

urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:50 pm

Right now, we've got a static striker who doesn't get involved a lot with the build-up and barely anyone making runs to support him. Other than Walcott, who does make runs, and Podolski, who just doesn't move well at all, everyone else likes to look for the ball. When you play with a lone striker, you really need the wingers and midfielders to make attacking runs otherwise you won't get anywhere.

When we had Cesc, we also had Adebayor or van Persie. Both of those guys were good in the build-up and we used to be able to play and makes runs off them. It's harder to do with Giroud since he's not as mobile.

I said this a lot last season but the way we want to play doesn't really suit the players we have. There's just not enough good movement and not enough consistency in the final ball to play a quick passing game.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by SUPERCARTTS Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:52 pm

REWB wrote:
SUPERCARTTS wrote:I wanted to wait till after the both games before having an opinion; knee jerks are frowned upon around this streets

Three words: Dire Fooking Bolical.

i swear our creativity is none existent. i honestly feel we need either a winger or another TOP class AM. but tbh a quality forward like suarez would help our creativity a lot.

Things are worse than they seem. I'm just majorly disappointing that it has only recently become apparent that the cracks we papered over weren't obvious sooner.

Granted, it was only a "friendly", but our performances, against Napoli and Gala, were no different to many games last season. So patchy and uninspiring.
SUPERCARTTS
SUPERCARTTS
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:01 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:We don't dominate games as we usually did in the Fabregas era, it's all becoming a little bit sad right now.

Your also nowhere near the joke defensively you was back then either.... you can't have it both ways.

Well you could but you have to realize that adding another attacking midfielder equals Wilshere to CM which automatically means joke defensively.

This isn't a video game to win things you need be solid as a team and you finally have that.

Just need to add a striker as well as some depth at DM and CB, adding another AM will cause imbalance.

But i keep saying this and no one seems to agree despite the facts heavily being in favour of my argument so i'll stop now Laughing

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:09 pm

It wasn't just Fabregas though. You had Nasri (as much as i hate him), RVP, a healthy Diaby, Arshavin who cared, etc.

This Arsenal team is ok, but just not very talented other than 3-4 spots. I don't see a high ceiling here. Arsenal had to overachieve to get 4th place last year imo. Need to get talent level up.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:15 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:Well one positive is that the Arteta - Ramsey duo was very good again I thought, especially Ramsey... he's making a lot of Arsenal fans look like dicks (incl. me) - he has a place in the first team nailed on imo.

you know even the arteta-ramsey duo, its okayyyy... maybe with the additions to the team it could probably get us top 2, the title if we are very lucky but we are not going to do any thing in the CL with that combo. these two are simply not of the highest quality. which is what we had in 07/08 and where we want to be now.
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:26 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:We don't dominate games as we usually did in the Fabregas era, it's all becoming a little bit sad right now.

The difference between then and now is we had 3/4 players capable of playing "wengerball", at first van persie, fabregas, hleb, and a (fit) rosicky, then from 08 09 nasri, van persie, and fabregas + arshavin late on (rosicky and fabregas were injury crocks though), following that the move to 4-3-3 and van persie up front on his own with fabregas behind and nasri on the left/right + arshavin before he turned into a potato was great technically and had great movement, it all went to shet when rvp got injured and arshavin was our "striker". After that wilshere got on the scene and we played nice football with these 4 playing: fabregas, nasri, rvp and wilshere.

why all this always gets reduced down to "fabregas" I really don't know.

DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:30 pm

ill tell you what the problem is...we have too many english players, they suck technically lool, we should go back to all foreign players, cant play wenger ball with english players.
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:40 pm

REWB wrote:ill tell you what the problem is...we have too many english players, they suck technically lool, we should go back to all foreign players, cant play wenger ball with english players.

We need a mixture but English lads bring that English grit and steel
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:41 pm

Arsene pls:
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:54 pm

djoe26 wrote:That dive by Drogba for thier firat goal was just :facepalm: but his 2nd goal was pure class.
some guys never change however old or however big legends they become.. :facepalm:
cough.Suarez.cough
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:04 pm

REWB wrote:
EL Patron wrote:Going forward we were average, I don't know why people think Oxlade is an attacking mid. Lost the ball in midfield whenever he had it and made some pretty poor decision when attacking. Overall its a bit of wake up call for both the team and the manager.

this is what i said to rg, i said no way oxlade is going to be an AM, he hasnt got the vision or technique to play there, he should just stay as a winger and come inside. he would grow up to be a decent player playing that role.
exactly.. he gives the ball away too much.. i too dont see any good in him playing in the centre except for an occasional long shot.. just need Cesc at CAM and we are done.. Razz
also dumb Walcott keeps drifting in always and the fact that he is playing with Jenko isnt helping our attacks from that wing..
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:57 pm

Still don't understand why fans take anything from pre-season games. Results mean absolutely nothing and fitness is the most important thing about them.

Just because players haven't been brought in doesn't automatically mean the entire team is shit.

Wenger has been working hard towards bringing a World Class player in and even bid £40m for Suarez,

You start signing players for the sake of it and you'll end up like Liverpool.

The biggest weakness in your team is the lack of a proper #9 and #10. The ones Wenger spent years grooming already f**d him over so give him some time.
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:01 pm

Couldn't give a gnat's piss about the Emirates cup tbh. Just don't like seeing that giant phlegm spot Drogba diving like a fish
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:01 pm

Gil wrote:

The biggest weakness in your team is the lack of a proper #9 and #10. The ones Wenger spent years grooming already f**d him over so give him some time.
what is Cazorla?

I think that what Arsenal need the most is a DM and a CF
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:08 pm

Ganso wrote:
Gil wrote:

what is Cazorla?

A top quality winger is more needed than a #10 tbh.

If you look at both Wenger's title winning teams they both had solid bases in midfield with Petit-Vieira and Gilberto-Vieira.

Yet you want to go away from the tried and tested formula..... every time Arsenal have had success this has been a common theme.

Unless you want to bench Wilshere.........
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by boyzis Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:47 am

Based on my experience I can say arteta and ramsey can be the same players which you said above. The system arsenal play depends on arteta to link attack defence. He is the key in the team,without him the team does not tick.
You will argue they are not solid defensive type but things have changed now. These days its fundamental to play a hybrid in the mid, who can attack defend(position wise). Both these players are capable and suitable for these positions.
Wilshere can play on the left wing. His style of play suits that.
Whats really needed here is top striker. Suarez is my fav and Rooney not far behind. If the team below plays its the best arsenal team

Cf: Suarez
Lf: oxlade/wilshere
Rf: walcot

AM: cazola/ Thomas
RM:Ramsey
LM: art eta

Lb: Gibbs
Cb: kosc
Cb: per
Rb: sagna

boyzis
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:44 am

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
Ganso wrote:
Gil wrote:

what is Cazorla?

A top quality winger is more needed than a #10 tbh.

If you look at both Wenger's title winning teams they both had solid bases in midfield with Petit-Vieira and Gilberto-Vieira.

Yet you want to go away from the tried and tested formula..... every time Arsenal have had success this has been a common theme.

Unless you want to bench Wilshere.........

Yeah, imo if it was up to me id buy a CM and a DM before I thought about adding any any wingers or AMs. I know it seems like we lack creativity and good forwards but I think the complete lack of a solid mid like Wenger has had with his more successful teams made the attack look worse than it actually was. I think if we do make the right signings, it will cause a domino effect. If we improve our midfield stability and defense/physicality, it will give our forwards more to work with and get better oppertunities.

With a solid CM to feed Jack the ball in the right places and a clinical creative striker infront of him I think well see the calls for Cesc to come back become less and less over next season. If wenger sets the stage for him, Jack can rack up 15+ assists over the season and help the team dominate like we used to when cesc was here in his prime

With a Striker like Giroud, Jack isn't going to develop well at AM as much as he probably could in this system. He played much deeper all year because or the long time off/injury, he wasn't ready to be the main cog to drive the offense because Giroud didn't carry enough of the load, and Giroud wasn't very clinical so we had to add as many creativity/attacking options as possible to feed him as much as we could.

I don't think well need a LW or AM (to start at least, for depth purposes though we need to sign one or the other but thats a different story) I know Cazorla has been pegged as more of the replacement for Cesc but I think going forward Jack should be the number 10. I think he can fill the Cesc role even better than cazorla in the future, and Cazorla can play anywhere and is just as effective anywhere he plays, so it makes more sense for the team to do it that way anyhow (especially considering Wengers history of prefering guys like Cazorla at LW)

With a striker like Suarez/Rooney, and a solid stable midfield, itll help the whole attack settle into their roles. Not just jack but Walcott, Cazorla, Podolski as well, Maybe help get the best out of the time we have left with Rosicky too. They won't have to roam and cross every which way just to make something happen like they did last season. I think with either one of those two with Wilshere, Walcott and Cazorla behind them as a starting line up will work wonderfully.
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:00 am

Wow from reading this I have concluded that arsenal needs a skillfull striker and another DM

I swear I have heard that since2008
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by boyzis Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:03 am

Not a purely defensive mid someone like arteta. Who can be a cover Incase  one get injures.
A top striker.

boyzis
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:23 pm

Sanogo vs Galatasaray :

Zelalem vs Galatasaray :

Rosicky vs. Napoli:
Sina