Do you consider Goal Scoring a talent/Ability?

+11
fatman123
Valkyrja
Highburied
sportsczy
Red Alert
Vlad the Impaler
Casciavit
The Franchise
rwo power
Kick
jibers
15 posters

Go down

Do you consider Goal Scoring a talent/Ability? Empty Do you consider Goal Scoring a talent/Ability?

Post by jibers Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:47 am

Goal scoring is the most important thing in football when it comes down to it. Do you think that the ability to score goals is an intrinsic talent? If so where would you place someone like Cristiano Ronaldo in terms of his ability?
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Do you consider Goal Scoring a talent/Ability? Empty Re: Do you consider Goal Scoring a talent/Ability?

Post by Kick Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:52 am

Of course it is.

Some goal scoring abilities cannot be taught, they come naturally and they're the players you want.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Do you consider Goal Scoring a talent/Ability? Empty Re: Do you consider Goal Scoring a talent/Ability?

Post by rwo power Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:53 am

You only need to watch Mario Gómez. His poaching ability is just uncanny. He seems to have a knack to be at the right place at the right time pretty often.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:02 am

Yeah I think so.

There are just some players who know "how" to score goals.

Some of it is skill and working on that skill, but some players know exactly when to run, where to move, they can shoot accurately without even looking at the goal.

But no question there skills than need to be worked on also.

I think its everything, desire to score goals, working hard on the skills required and some kind of "natural" interpretation on the game.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:11 am

The Franchise wrote:Yeah I think so.

There are just some players who know "how" to score goals.

Some of it is skill and working on that skill, but some players know exactly when to run, where to move, they can shoot accurately without even looking at the goal.

But no question there skills than need to be worked on also.

I think its everything, desire to score goals, working hard on the skills required and some kind of "natural" interpretation on the game.
Do you think getting goals is the most important thing in a game?
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:15 am

TBH its a bit of both, for me.

I consider the ability for a player to be in the right position in the right time a talent, it's intelligence.

I don't exactly consider finishing a talent because with hard work, finishing can be improved.

But, the most important thing when it comes to goal scoring is a players desire and confidence. Most players have the desire that they want to score, but at times they totally lack confidence.

Cristiano Ronaldo has most of these things checked, so I do consider him one of the greatest of all time, when it comes to putting the ball in the back of the net.

Last edited by Casciavit on Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:19 am

jibers wrote:Do you think getting goals is the most important thing in a game?
Hm. Last time I checked, the team that scores more goals than the other wins, so goal scoring seems to be an objective. (Unless you reverse that and consider it more important to stop goals, in which case the GK and defense would be most important ^^)
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:20 am

jibers wrote:Do you think getting goals is the most important thing in a game?
Goals are what wins games and that's the most important thing in football, end of.
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad the Impaler Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:44 am

Casciavit wrote:TBH its a bit of both, for me.

I consider the ability for a player to be in the right position in the right time a talent, it's intelligence.

I don't exactly consider finishing a talent because with hard work, finishing can be improved.
I disagree.

In my opinion, the ability to easily score goals is pure talent. Finishing depends on how focused is the player on the ball and on the situation. If the player is focused enough, he won't lean back too much and shoot the ball far over the goal, he won't lean forward too much or other mistakes of this kind. But focusing is an ability which comes with intelligence. You must be clever and keep your calm whatever the situation is. If a player is intelligent, he will always find the perfect gap to put the ball through, he will always be creative and take the perfect decisions in front of the goal.

You are born with this type of intelligence and you can't do much if you don't have it. This intelligence can be improved in training sessions, but only a little bit and in an insignificant proportion.

Also, to be in the right position at the right time, comes with imagination, the ability to predict where will be the ball in a few seconds. Imagination is also part of football intelligence. Football intelligence is a talent.

Many players are hard workers but they can't put the ball into the net because they aren't focused, they aren't talented enough.
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:48 am

Sure getting goals are the most important thing in the game. But I think something which is not understood is, without many other things these goals do not happen.

You can be the best goalscorer the world has ever seen, but if you dont get the ball in a position to score, it means nothing.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:50 am

The Franchise wrote:Sure getting goals are the most important thing in the game. But I think something which is not understood is, without many other things these goals do not happen.

You can be the best goalscorer the world has ever seen, but if you dont get the ball in a position to score, it means nothing.
But that doesn't mean goal scoring is not a talent... it definitely is.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:54 am

Didnt say it wasnt.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:56 am

Sorry, just read your first post.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad the Impaler Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:56 am

That's why teams always used playmakers.

Most poachers don't bring the ball from the midfield into the box themselves. They usually get the ball in the last 25 yards.
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:00 pm

Midfield play is the most important part imo. It affect both the defense and goalscoring chances. That's why i always rate elite midfielders much higher than any goalscorer or defender... their job is 2x as hard literally.

goalscoring to me is a combination of hard work and instinct. If you don't work hard, you won't get into good goalscoring positions. And if you don't have the instinct to score, you won't make the right decision to finish off those chances. Some say you're born with the instinct... i disagree to an extent. To me it can be learned. But it is a combo of natural talent/hard work, so there's definitely genes involved.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:14 pm

This thread is zzz...

Asking whats obvious.
Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:44 pm

Ronaldo and Messi aren't IMO natural born goalscorers, even if their numbers are incredible.
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:19 pm

I dont think its as much as a physical skill as it is a mental skill, the best forwards can take in and analyse a situation and follow their intuition just that split second faster then an average forward which is what allows them to be "just ahead of the defender" or to be "in the right spot at the right time" etc.
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:48 pm

Valkyrja wrote:Ronaldo and Messi aren't IMO natural born goalscorers, even if their numbers are incredible.
Based on?
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:03 pm

Valkyrja wrote:Ronaldo and Messi aren't IMO natural born goalscorers, even if their numbers are incredible.
Do you consider Goal Scoring a talent/Ability? 2hzhcu0
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:07 pm

Harmonica wrote:
Do you consider Goal Scoring a talent/Ability? 2hzhcu0
Messi makes me sick...
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:23 pm

Of cos it is. I used to have a bit when I played a bit when I was a kid Razz Wasnt good at much else but eye for goal Very Happy

I think its an attribute. U see so many goal scoring who are crap in many other things, and players who are so good at many other things but just cant score. Its a strange sense to have I think, I believe many are born with it, and U will know such a player when u see one.
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:55 pm

Chicharito is a bad footballer but a prolific goal scorer.
is it a skill? yes
he doesn't do any spectacular skills but he is always in the right place to either head the ball or rebound. which isn't a coincidence.
Gomez as-well.
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:06 pm

definitely yes
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum