Napoli 2 - 0 Arsenal: Qualified. Just about.

+15
Chumlum
Arquitecto
Peccadillo
M99
bloodless
Wilson37
Benry
EL Patron
urbaNRoots
Lex
Eman
Twoism
Sri
RealGunner
Jay29
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Napoli 2 - 0 Arsenal: Qualified. Just about.  Empty Napoli 2 - 0 Arsenal: Qualified. Just about.

Post by Jay29 Thu 12 Dec - 0:09:39

I'm massively disappointed after that, so retaining a sense of perspective is proving difficult. The circumstances surrounding tonight's game have a lot to do with the outcome, so things aren't quite as straightforward as "Arsenal played poorly and lost", but it's very tempting to just leave it at that.

Psychologically, before the game even starts, we had some difficult decisions to make. The only way for us not to have gone through was if we lost by three clear goals, so despite all the talk about playing professionally and going for a positive result, the players must have had it in their minds that they could lose the game and still go through, which was the ultimate objective regardless of the sizeable perks winning the group brings. Additionally, the timing of the match, with it being three days before a huge game against a main title rival, would cause the players to hold back, if only a little. So as much as we want to believe that we were fully committed for this game, it's likely that we weren't.

During the game, it was a question of game management. There was no need for Arsenal to be gung-ho and go for the jugular, but they couldn't risk sitting in and soaking up pressure for the entire game either. They had to find a good balance between keeping it tight at the back and offering some attacking threat, and in the first half they managed to do that quite well. Napoli had their moments but were more passive than anything, and with the score still 0-0 at half time you could say that things were going quite well.

The second half was close to a disaster, though. We continued to sit back instead of pushing a bit to get a goal and really kill off any Napoli hope of qualifying. Napoli improved, the sub Insigne making them a more dangerous side, and scored an excellent goal through Higuain, who turned Mertesacker a bit too easily. Then Arteta gets sent off for his 2nd foul, which was a nothing challenge, and suddenly we're on the ropes. Napoli continued to push forward, all the while Walcott is watching from the sidelines as Giroud struggles to chase after a loose ball that was played in behind Napoli's defence. Why Walcott didn't come on is anyone's guess.

At the very least, we responded well and managed to not completely capitulate. Napoli's second in stoppage time made us all a bit nervous, but thankfully there wasn't enough time for them to get another. Hate to think how the game would have ended if there were more time.

So where does that leave us? Well, we're through, which is the important thing. The downside is that Dortmund won and went above us on goal difference, so now we can draw one of five teams in the last sixteen: Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Bayern Munich and PSG. Good times ahead, guys.

I'm not entirely sure how I should feel right now, really. On one hand, few people expected Arsenal to even qualify from what was this year's group of death, but we have done. In that sense, we've achieved our objective. On the other hand, circumstances now and different to how they were when the group was drawn. Back then, we didn't even have Ozil. Now, we're a team in very good form and were in control of the group going into this game, yet come out of it in second place with the guarantee of a difficult draw. I can't help but feel we've really missed an opportunity there and struggle to really find an excuse for it. In the end, it was of our own making.

Then there's the weekend to think about. City won against Bayern and managed to rest seven or eight of their players. We've lost, had to spend all game defending, twenty minutes with ten men to add to that, and only Wilshere got a proper rest. I worry for us physically and mentally for Saturday.

Last edited by GoonerJay29 on Thu 12 Dec - 0:22:30; edited 1 time in total

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Napoli 2 - 0 Arsenal: Qualified. Just about.  Empty Re: Napoli 2 - 0 Arsenal: Qualified. Just about.

Post by RealGunner Thu 12 Dec - 0:14:14

I am sad at Arsene

Can't help but question his decisions. I don't usually blame him but tonight it was on him.

We played the game to not lose, but to not win either. No midfielders made the runs in behind like we usually do. Fullbacks didn't go beyond the halfway line. It was very much like the Barcelona match 2 years ago.

That is not Arsenal.

We rested Ramsey and Wilshere. Fair enough. But Walcott? why?

Why did we not introduce Walcott when Napoli's back 4 were literally in our own half? Why Arsene?

Why did we not try and get the top spot?

It's not like players had an easy game. City away will still be as difficult.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Napoli 2 - 0 Arsenal: Qualified. Just about.  Empty Re: Napoli 2 - 0 Arsenal: Qualified. Just about.

Post by Sri Thu 12 Dec - 0:17:09

Well summarized Jay, I already see some knee jerk in GS. As you rightly put it, it is difficult to maintain a perspective.

To keep it brief, we have missed an opportunity but I wouldn't say I don't like this. It's better without having expectations weighing us down. For a change, this year, I am actually looking forward to meeting one of those big boys in the R16.

It's time to shift the entire focus to the Etihad. Anything other than an away win and I am sure we'll have the usual "our season is over", "Wenger out", "XYZ is crap" knee-jerk, witch-hunt threads to deal with. Sigh.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Thu 12 Dec - 0:18:19

by Twoism Today at 5:15 am
Funny as it might sound, i want Baca match up. No better time to play tyem but now, the rest yuck.

As for the game, i'm totally dissapointed and Wenger got it wrong this time. We lost and we ddnt even rest some tired legs. Napoli is there for us to take, no Hamsik, we were able to put proffessional performance in games like this at the start of the season.
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Eman Thu 12 Dec - 0:19:43

We should have learned our lesson from last year's Bayern win that going into a game without intensity and thinking that you can coast your way to a good result is always a terrible idea. There wasn't nearly enough urgency, and so many players had no impact at all. It felt like our most common offensive move was a Carl Jenkinson back-pass :facepalm:

If you think about it as if we played each team in our group in knockout rounds, we would have lost to Dortmund on away goals, drawn with Napoli but been down to 10 men and likely lost in extra time, and only beaten Marseille. We don't deserve top spot, at least not after today's result, even if we are capable of beating any team in the competition IMO. We need to improve for the City game.

I really hope we get PSG in the next round, but knowing our luck with draws, I'm expecting Barca, Real Madrid or Bayern.
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Thu 12 Dec - 0:24:47

@sri while i dont agree with kneejerk, it's important to go to Eithhad with some momentum, City does and we dont. They have one more rest day, fielded 2nd team, high morale; we do the opposite. I would be ok if we lost 0-2 and played the likes of Theo, Bendtner, Gnarby etc, not this full strength team.

Time to move on, i suppose
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Thu 12 Dec - 0:26:01

I think Walcott was going to come on after they scored their 1st, but once Arteta was sent off, there was no point
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Thu 12 Dec - 0:27:43

Twoism wrote:@sri while i dont agree with kneejerk, it's important to go to Eithhad with some momentum, City does and we dont. They have one more rest day, fielded 2nd team, high morale; we do the opposite. I would be ok if we lost 0-2 and played the likes of Theo, Bendtner, Gnarby etc, not this full strength team.

Time to move on, i suppose
The team was strong, but the tactics were lucid and relaxed tonight. No-one was bothered about taking a risk or making a run. We just wanted not to lose by 3 goals

We'll see a different team at the Etihad, physically and mentally
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Thu 12 Dec - 0:38:44

I'm not really bothered about finishing 2nd as we were never going to win the competition anyway, and if we do we do it by beating the best.

Stiill, I was disappointed with Wenger's team selection - we could've rotated more without losing much quality especially if we were approaching the game the way we did.

Anyway we're through which was the main objective, not thinking about who we might face as we have a more important game coming up. Let's get a result there first!
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Thu 12 Dec - 0:40:27

I know Lex but i hate that thinking, like Jay said if the game could last 2 or 3 minutes longer, brick shitting is guranteed.you're right though, hopefully we see different Arsenal this weekend.
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Thu 12 Dec - 0:43:05

Dissapointed with the result today, there was a chance for us to top the group and we have blown it but if you had given us second place quality when the group was drawned then I am sure many would have taken it. I hope the team can regroup quickly and focus on the big game during saturday.
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Benry Thu 12 Dec - 0:45:35

I agree with a lot of what's been said made it even harder than needs be, we have to get back on track Saturday.

Tonight says a lot about what AW thinks of his some of his squad. I mean I've become dreary with Walcott, but I think a lot of people at the club have.

It was telling how Henry (who was amazing as a pundit btw), took the whole situation about him starting Saturday. I mean chucking on Ramsey, I don't know why at all, for all his faults Walcott would have intimidated Maggio, but clearly he's not switched on enough to do a job.

Ozil needs a rest I'd rather he be on the bench this weekend, and come on for the final 30. We could conceivably play Walcott, Poldolski for 60, Wilshere and Ramsey in place of him.

Foolish from Arteta and I think he knows it, love the guy but that was stupidity no need to make the tackle, poor decision from the ref but why give the ref a reason.

We're still naive in some aspects like failing to get simple free-kicks to alleviate pressure, done this well in the 1st half, but 2nd half was silly. That Mertens breh could have been easily wound up and sent off.

AW made questionable decisions, but I feel this was the game where he decided he has to buy someone else to sustain the rest of the season.

Final word, I think Arsenal have only won one game with Sagna not playing in all competitions, frightening really, need to get that general back as soon as possible.
Benry
Benry
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Thu 12 Dec - 0:47:35

wtf ? really pissed off..
lost the golden opertunity to play 2nd placed weaker teams in next round.. now get knocked off in round of 16 again ?

for the first time i am seeing Arsenal playing with negative tactics almost the entire match.. and trying to play a couner attacking game keeping your most suited player in the bench.. terribly underestimated the firepower of Napoli and paid the biggest price.. goodbye CL..
players were ok and cant blame anyone individually.. lost this game because the plan completely went wrong today.. this was the exactly same like Everton match.. Good pacy fullbacks destroying us.. Failure of playing central midfielders like Cazorla, Wilshere, Rosicky, etc in wings.. just like Gary Neville summarised it.. once they were pushed back by the FB and they didnt have the pace to get front again for the counters...
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by bloodless Thu 12 Dec - 0:49:49

ozil and poldi on twitter...not sure if this is reaction? sometimes a loss is like a win? no we should have won today, maybe a draw would have felt like a win...idk, im i wrong on this or? hmmm

bloodless
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Thu 12 Dec - 0:54:46

Would Arsenal have been 1st if they lost 1-0?
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Peccadillo Thu 12 Dec - 0:56:15

Ozil should have been rested.
Peccadillo
Peccadillo
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Thu 12 Dec - 1:34:08

Gooners, you fail to understand the intense predicament that such situations present. When you are presented with the choice of sitting on your lead (whether points or goals) or going for an aggressive sealant to the game, it is highly difficult to strike a balance between the two; because frankly attempting such trivial incidentals would be futile to incidence of bringing what you as a manager think onto your full squad.

Max Allegri faced the same predicament during the 2nd leg vs Arsenal in the Emirates.

Usually the pre-eminent managers face this dilemma considering how much they (have to) calculate in comparison to a more provincial manager with less ramifications on his hands.

Credit also must go to Rafael Benitez; who despite fielding a weakened squad (for some reason) formulated a plan with far more conviction than Wenger.

Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Thu 12 Dec - 2:33:06

A really disappointing game. But the ultimate goal was to advance to the knockout stages, which is what was accomplished. That is the #1 priority and we shouldn't forget that - advancing from this year's CL group of death.

So yeah the match sucked (from both club's perspectives, no doubt), but in the big scheme of things it didn't matter as much as a loss in the league right now would have. To me there are two negative repercussions that could bite us in the ass though.

1. The result meant Arsenal finish 2nd in the group and miss what is likelier an easier opponent in the next round. That's true. But then again, it's the Champions League, sooner or later you can't hide from massive challenges. So to me this is a minor annoyance rather than a huge setback, as some fans have felt. You've got to give it the old college try and if Arsenal draw Real Madrid or Bayern or whatever, well ... just go for it.

2. The only thing I'm really concerned about is whether the result and the poor performance will have a knock on team morale in the next few important matches. Let's hope it doesn't.
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Thu 12 Dec - 2:57:49

I am disappointed at the result, but I dont care who we face. I want excitement not boring football. We qualified that's what matters and hope the players pick themselves up for the next game.

Lets move on, and cheer up guys we have more important games coming up.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Thu 12 Dec - 6:43:02

Whats the news on Sagna? I dont want to see jenkinson this Saturday or any other games this season.Laughing 

I hope the experiment of the combo of arteta and flamini in the middle is over. The last time we lost both were starting and lack mobility and drive.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Thu 12 Dec - 10:02:57

I told you guys this match was just such bad timing and it was going to feck things up a bit.

It looked like we were in control, and I think in the 2md half Wenger would have thrown on Walcott and we'd try to beat them on the counter, but that never materialised.. But well oh well, what's done is done. And we need to move on.

It is now important we don't lose the City match, otherwise shit's just going to go negative again.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Thu 12 Dec - 11:22:35

Very bad result. Winning the group was crucial... now Arsenal is going to be an underdog against whoever they play in the next round + the return game is away.

Shooting yourself in the foot for no reason. Nothing about Napoli was impressive. Game that was easily winnable if Arsenal play their game.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu 12 Dec - 11:32:13

It's cool sports, we're not too worried about who we face Wink

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Thu 12 Dec - 13:43:32

Like someone before said, you'll end up facing a juggernaut sometime during the comp, so no point in shying away from it. Facing a good team in the next round will make victory all the sweeter
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Thu 12 Dec - 14:11:01

Agree with Lex, besides we are the best 2nd placed team in the CL and no one is going to be happy about facing us either.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next