Casciavit
Mamad
34 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Chat is Bad Empty Chat is Bad

Post by Mamad Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:31 am

Se7en wrote:the problem is also that friggin chat

it ruined the whole forum imo, all interesting discussions are kept in the chat instead of being discussed in the forum threads like they should have.

it kinda seems obvious to not use a chat in a forum environment but obviously not to the admins of the site
Mamad
Mamad
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Chat is Bad Empty Re: Chat is Bad

Post by Casciavit Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:14 pm

So you want more knee-jerk reactions and troll threads? Chat is a good way to discuss the game as its happening and you get to know other posters personalities. It's fine, really.
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by S Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:18 pm

Chat shouldnt be completely removed but in my opinion it should be limited.

He is absolutely right about one thing and that is zero debates take place in the club sections especially in those where fan numbers are relatively less(compared to the Arsenal section for example) and like most of the discussions happen in chat which is leading to stagnancy in various club sections.Curbing chat to a certain extent is one way of finding a solution to this.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:22 pm

Chat takes siphons away all the interesting discussions?

It literally is the GL cesspool where all our juvenile impulsive triggers are splayed upon the window of text; essentially typifying the vintage GL causality. When there is a serious debate, it is contained in the noise of other rudimentary discussions that serve testament to the chaos that GL chat is.

Thing is, we all embrace that. I mean Jibers, Dosto and Spencer are at their most juvenile within the chat as it brings out our inner child.

If you want interesting discussions, take the initiative to post and lead them on as Gil, Mole etc do as the rest will come to fruition.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:56 pm

Chat is more like a live commentary thread. I assure you hardly any big football discussions happen there. Mostly it's talk during the match, trolling and completely off topic stuff like Arq's diet, jibers demanding everyone's address and Gil singing Drake. It's a great feature of the forum.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:01 pm

Do you really think matchday threads that only contain posts with "Goal!" or "That was offside you blind fish!" or "Shoot, you %&$*" etc are really worthwhile or add to the quality of the forum?
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:16 pm

I absolutely loved living through the game again by reading the thread and poster reactions.It was priceless for me during Inter's treble season...With the chat now that is impossible.

I love the chat,but I think generally it's bad for the forum.Matchday threads used to be amazing,and discussion was more widespread.Some posters nowadays are only active when the chat is open,me included.I'm not posting half as much as before...

I also think we are losing new people.Unregistered users can't see the chat and only see dead matchday threads.It should be more exclusive,like only for Champions League Matches and International football for instance.

Matchday commentary section Proud
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by S Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:42 pm

We shouldnt be going from one extreme to another however.

Like i said ,it should be limited.I see there is chat on when even just a single game is on like Milan-Roma for example which was on Monday.Or for less important fixtures like Coppa,Carling Cup or Copa Del Rey.We can scrap chat for those days.

Also i think a proper chat schedule should be maintained regardless of the scheduling of the fixtures.

And since the forum usually runs slow during this month and with the 'festive' EPL fixtures approaching how about scrapping chat totally for those days ? Just a suggestion btw.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:04 pm

Nah the chat is great

It's far too much effort posting in a thread during a game and constantly refreshing the chat etc etc

You end up missing half of the game.

Chat >
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:04 pm

It ultimately comes down to to the posters to spur interesting discussions outside of chat. In the Milan section you can find many topics with great responses about the club, coach and players. Its hard for posters giving their opinions on chat when there's 40 others discussing other things.

It's the duty of the posters to engage in discussions outside of the chat, just like how a company's greatest asset is its employees. The forum's greatest asset is its posters (No offence Mods, you're awesome too)

I'd like to just add that half of the opinions on chat are knee-jerk reactions, in some cases it can even be volatile. Which may lead people to take chat half-seriously, thus, rendering interesting discussions to naught.
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by S Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:14 pm

^But that doesnt help when there's only one person initiating the discussions and he isnt getting responses from others(even the regular ones) who are just content with sitting there and lurking.

In terms of the General section its fine although it can be better,but its stagnating activity in club sections but i dont know if chat is the main reason for it or something else,just thought i'd put it out.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:17 pm

I am a fan of chat after hours, where the discussion doesn't have to be football, and it can be anything. Something like a couple of nights ago.

I'm pissed for example I wasn't on chat when we beat Spurs 5-0, so I could have seen the reactions as the goals went in Sad

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:17 pm

Chat never has any serious discussions anyway. Plus you can't discuss a game seriously while it is being played. Pre match/post match discussion still happens on this forum.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:35 pm

Chat the other night ffs Proud rofl
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:55 pm

@S

Well, for the Club World Cup match yesterday, no chat was opened and the reactions to the thread I opened in the Bayern section was negligible, too.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by S Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:59 pm

Bayern Section rofl

What there are like 1,maybe 2 at most active Bayern fans here ?

In contrast you have Juve section for instance who have atleast 6-7 active posters capable of engaging in regular discussions.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:17 pm

It allows us to discuss matches as they are happening with relevant posts. In matchday threads as the match is going on the posts are basically a summary of who scored. It's simply far more efficient and enjoyable.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:24 pm

well in my honorable opinion, its not the chat during the game the problem...its the fact that Chat is opened for like 15-30 minutes after the game is the problem...every body says their opinion about game in the chat itself after the game..that has to change. The chat has to be closed exactly after the game is over.
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:41 pm

I also preferred matchday threads...MUCH MUCH more.I dont even come to GL during games anymore, chat is always a clusterfck.
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:51 pm

I'm not buying these excuses. When RG was on a vacation for over a month this forum was completely dead. Chat was hardly ever up yet the Matchday threads were as uninspiring as ever and all the noteworthy discussions only took place in the Transfer threads.

It picked up again once he returned. This is coming from someone who didn't become a regular on Chat up until recently as well. Chat is the only thing I honestly look forward to on here anymore besides the Sports/Entertainment section.

The General died about 18 months ago when a large chunk of Madrid fans left the forum after yet another hammering by Barca in a Classico. It hasn't really been the same since, it had a sort of a domino effect on the entire forum.
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:53 pm

the matchday threads werent working because we lost the habit of actually using them...specially since the matchday section got cut
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:29 pm

Adit wrote:well in my honorable opinion, its not the chat during the game the problem...its the fact that Chat is opened for like 15-30 minutes after the game is the problem...every body says their opinion about game in the chat itself after the game..that has to change. The chat has to be closed exactly after the game is over.

Agree with this, there's no need for the chat to be open after the games.
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:25 am

Why yall talking as if you cant just open a thread regarding the game and people cant post their opinions on the game there?

Oh yeah...that already happens.

As Arq already said, take initiative for yourself and stop crying.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:54 am

Gil wrote:
The General died about 18 months ago when a large chunk of Madrid fans left the forum after yet another hammering by Barca in a Classico. It hasn't really been the same since, it had a sort of a domino effect on the entire forum.

Calm down, General section isn't dead.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:27 am

About Chat

We have had this talk for like 10 times now. Closing down chat will piss people off, opening it for long periods won't go down with the others. There is no middle ground.

Chat has been up for 2 years now. I don't see how it's having an effect anywhere other than the Matchday commentary thread which was shut down. People enjoy chat more. It's faster, more fun and acts as an internal social media outlet.

I agree that we miss out on some quality threads because we talk about it in chat instead and that's something which can't be helped. We can limit the timing of it obviously and see if that works.

But there is no cause of concern like Gil is making out.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next