Casciavit
Mamad
34 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Chat is Bad - Page 2 Empty Re: Chat is Bad

Post by RealGunner Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:27 am

About Chat

We have had this talk for like 10 times now. Closing down chat will piss people off, opening it for long periods won't go down with the others. There is no middle ground.

Chat has been up for 2 years now. I don't see how it's having an effect anywhere other than the Matchday commentary thread which was shut down. People enjoy chat more. It's faster, more fun and acts as an internal social media outlet.

I agree that we miss out on some quality threads because we talk about it in chat instead and that's something which can't be helped. We can limit the timing of it obviously and see if that works.

But there is no cause of concern like Gil is making out.

RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:36 am

Chats killing forums is a myth

Only really applies if there's a 24/7 chat

As for chat closing 'immediately after a game' well, if you actually look at the discussions that take place 20mins after the games have ended, you'll see the only section of the forum it's taking away from is the 'hub'

Because the conversations are so often about other things. During games... it's just a play by play with a lot of laughing/raging. Wouldn't make for a good thread at all.

Seems like a lot of the people who dislike the chat admit that they're not on GL during the actual games and miss reading through matchday threads. Well... tough luck.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:39 am

Gil move on the next argument: Chat decreases post quality because people are juggling between two screens rather than focusing on the screen, so they get less from the game.

this is true for me at least
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:01 am

If you don't like it, don't use it. Simple Laughing
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:44 am

Gil wrote:I'm not buying these excuses. When RG was on a vacation for over a month this forum was completely dead. Chat was hardly ever up yet the Matchday threads were as uninspiring as ever and all the noteworthy discussions only took place in the Transfer threads.

It picked up again once he returned. This is coming from someone who didn't become a regular on Chat up until recently as well. Chat is the only thing I honestly look forward to on here anymore besides the Sports/Entertainment section.

The General died about 18 months ago when a large chunk of Madrid fans left the forum after yet another hammering by Barca in a Classico. It hasn't really been the same since, it had a sort of a domino effect on the entire forum.

Calma mate, it's always been like this. General Section is at it's highest when the CL knockout rounds come. Remember last year? The year before? At this period GL has always been a bit slow but picks up around the last 16.

Another time is when an international tournament comes. This place was amazing during Euro 12 and Confederations Cup. I can't wait for the World Cup to come, this place will quadruple it's activity. Remember the World Cup draw? Imagine what will happen when the actual thing kicks off.

The off season actually sees more activity than the activity during this period. Transfer rumours in GS thanks to MT and all the club sections discuss transfers as well. This is nothing new, this time period is when GL is slow. It has always been like this.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mamad Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:23 am

Matchday commentary was a great section. Chat ruined it.

Also in chat 95% of the time all you read is jokes. and if you get up for a few minutes you miss plenty. in commentary section you could go, come back, read and enjoy.

As Arq already said, take initiative for yourself and stop crying.

Typical Franchise.

Chat has some ( very ) negative effects on the forum and because we love the forum we are discussing it. nobody is crying but you.
Mamad
Mamad
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:43 am

Vibe wrote:I absolutely loved living through the game again by reading the thread and poster reactions.It was priceless for me during Inter's treble season...With the chat now that is impossible.

Same for me, I enjoy reading people's reactions on matches from a match thread. Also occasionally posting in one, too. And you don't have to keep your eyes constantly on the chat, you can have a quick visit to the match thread when you have a nice gap.

Natalie Portman wrote:I am a fan of chat after hours, where the discussion doesn't have to be football, and it can be anything. Something like a couple of nights ago.

After hours chat is great, I agree. For match discussion it's far too fast paced for my liking.

BarrileteCosmico wrote:It allows us to discuss matches as they are happening with relevant posts. In matchday threads as the match is going on the posts are basically a summary of who scored. It's simply far more efficient and enjoyable.

However, in threads I can do this. Quote another poster. The chat is only good for those who are constantly active on it. You want to comment on something on chat, you have to be doing it lightning fast and follow it all the time - and even then many messages just drown in the stream. I find threads far more relaxing and enjoyable and I don't mind it if there are loads of one line or even one word posts.

I'm not too often on the chat because if I'm watching a game I can't be bothered to divide my attention to keep a constant eye on the chat, too. With threads you can just pop in quickly and see what's been posted. However, the chat is great for socializing and, like I said, I like it all right when I'm not watching a game or doing anything else.

And by the way, I do find it a bit disappointing that when the chat's on, there's very little conversation in the threads, even though game days should be the most exciting and active time on the forum.

Anyway, I guess it's impossible to reach an optimal solution in this matter. Maybe have both the chat and matchday section / threads?
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:53 am

Well, there is no one hindering people to open a matchray thread in the GenSec parallel to the chat. People who want to follow the match and post longer stuff than chat one-liners can go there and post that then. Just try it - next match open an additional matchday thread. People inthe chat will likely not post there, but if there are enough others who don't like chatting and prefer a slower and in-depth commentary could join you there. Just try it!
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:58 am

Thank you, Dani.

Chat essentially is a more efficient product to which has brought in more interest within the forum during the hours of match days. It presents a surprising ability in its social adeptness in effectively bringing the forum closer together as new ideas and debates are even formed within the basis of chat; sometimes even carried onto the general discussions. Non-users of chat are not aware of how well discussions are carried on simply because they do not seem to engage in the parameters of chat.

Matchday threads in its refresh and omit format was essentially a mess of non-descriptive posts involving the same knee-jerk impulsive text that is present in chat, only in the forum of static produce rather than real-time chat.

Limiting chat even post-matches is rather strange considering the BEST discussions on chat occur post-match. Tom presents food for thought that 24/7 or longer than needed chat would damage the forum yet the admins have formulated chat timings and usage in excellent utilization.

This issue is bigger than it should be, by now.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:29 pm

El Shaarawy wrote:It ultimately comes down to to the posters to spur interesting discussions outside of chat. In the Milan section you can find many topics with great responses about the club, coach and players. Its hard for posters giving their opinions on chat when there's 40 others discussing other things.

It's the duty of the posters to engage in discussions outside of the chat, just like how a company's greatest asset is its employees. The forum's greatest asset is its posters (No offence Mods, you're awesome too)

I'd like to just add that half of the opinions on chat are knee-jerk reactions, in some cases it can even be volatile. Which may lead people to take chat half-seriously, thus, rendering interesting discussions to naught.

Milan section :bow:

I love a good real-time chat, but the serious, thoughtful tactical discussion happens in the match-day threads ~ you know, carefully-written comments with more than one line and a meme.

No matter if we Milan posters have vastly different points of view on some issues, the discussion is always enjoyable and interesting. Chat can't replace our essay-length analyses of Milan's youth policy, transfer market activity, tactics and formation, or the performances of our players.

I think that the 1 down-side of chat is that it makes the forum look quieter. There could be a Milan Derby going on and you wouldn't see much of a conversation in the match-day thread until a few hours after the game if the chat was open during the game. But ultimately, it's up to the posters in each individual section to bring the best of chat back to the match-day threads.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:01 pm

Forza wrote:
El Shaarawy wrote:It ultimately comes down to to the posters to spur interesting discussions outside of chat. In the Milan section you can find many topics with great responses about the club, coach and players. Its hard for posters giving their opinions on chat when there's 40 others discussing other things.

It's the duty of the posters to engage in discussions outside of the chat, just like how a company's greatest asset is its employees. The forum's greatest asset is its posters (No offence Mods, you're awesome too)

I'd like to just add that half of the opinions on chat are knee-jerk reactions, in some cases it can even be volatile. Which may lead people to take chat half-seriously, thus, rendering interesting discussions to naught.

I love a good real-time chat, but the serious, thoughtful tactical discussion happens in the match-day threads ~ you know, carefully-written comments with more than one line and a meme.

No matter if we Milan posters have vastly different points of view on some issues, the discussion is always enjoyable and interesting. Chat can't replace our essay-length analyses of Milan's youth policy, transfer market activity, tactics and formation, or the performances of our players.

I think that the 1 down-side of chat is that it makes the forum look quieter. There could be a Milan Derby going on and you wouldn't see much of a conversation in the match-day thread until a few hours after the game if the chat was open during the game. But ultimately, it's up to the posters in each individual section to bring the best of chat back to the match-day threads.

I'm sorry but the Milan section is DEAD. It used to be one of the most active sections of the forum and now even Chelsea has overtaken it. Current results frustrated the hell out of everyone and now the section is in the worst state I have ever seen in my 4 years in this forum.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:14 pm

M99 wrote:
Forza wrote:

I'm sorry but the Milan section is DEAD. It used to be one of the most active sections of the forum and now even Chelsea has overtaken it. Current results frustrated the hell out of everyone and now the section is in the worst state I have ever seen in my 4 years in this forum.
Poor results = less activity. It's no coincidence that our position in Serie A is reflected by decreased activity in the Milan section. I remember the incredible Milan v Barca thread (the first time) and the Milan v Arsenal thread. Those were great times for the club and more people were interested in Milan because we were doing well domestically, had many world class players, and were beating high quality teams in Europe. I would not go as far to say that the section is in a bad state now, because a lot of very good discussion happens there and many of the best posters in the forum are Milan fans. But there's only so many times you can analyse the rut Milan is in at the moment and change does not appear to be forthcoming. Absolutely, more activity would be fantastic, but amidst the current crisis, it's understandable that the section is relatively quiet. You can't do anything about that. Also, I don't think it has anything to do with chat.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:38 pm

I've literally never seen an interesting discussion in the chat, just trolling and random, non footballing talk + kneejerking during live matches.
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:47 pm

Yeah it's rare a lengthy footballing discussion breaks out in the chat

All the forum is missing is a thread full of 5 word sentences and play-by-plays. Nothing worth reading, unless people genuinely love to see people post 'GOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL'

Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:03 pm

Tomwin Lannister wrote:Yeah it's rare a lengthy footballing discussion breaks out in the chat

All the forum is missing is a thread full of 5 word sentences and play-by-plays. Nothing worth reading, unless people genuinely love to see people post 'GOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL'

There were posts like that obviously,but generally it wasn't like that at all.Matchday threads were quality...

McLewis matchday commentary Proud
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:08 pm

Best solution is for people who don't want to use the chat, to go in their own thread. So long as there is enough people interested in doing that.

Trying to close the chat and force/encourage people to go back to matchday threads is just a bad idea.

Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by vivabarca38 Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:35 pm

Is there no possible way to see old threads in the deleted Match Day Section?
vivabarca38
vivabarca38
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:40 pm

What do you want to see
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:01 pm

Yes, it is "typical Franchise" if that's what you call me consistently telling people to stop whining then is no reason to.

Do this, do that, every Tom, Dick and Harry got an opinion on how things should be without any true consideration for the majority.

This notion that posters ideas and discussion points are lost and wasted in chat is beyond strange to me. And this is from someone who has never been that consistent a chat user, even if a little more so now.

There is hardly any poster who is posting legit, non kneejerk discussion post game in chat. And of the few that do (I consider myself one of them) I am more than happy to and do post similar stuff within the relevant threads.

Arq and RG have already clearly established the positives of chat and Tomwin has clearly detailed an accurate description of what happens on chat and even viable solutions for those with this rather strange issue.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:35 pm

Are we deliberately not opening chat today because of this pathetic thread?
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:40 pm

Gil wrote:Are we deliberately not opening chat today because of this pathetic thread?

I bet RealGunner is still sleeping. Tired of Mod bias tbh, this wouldn't happen if his team were playing today.
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:27 pm

Gil wrote:Are we deliberately not opening chat today because of this pathetic thread?

Was wondering the same thing.

Look at all the tremendous activity in the forum without chat Rolling Eyes
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Busby Babe Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:14 pm

In regards to the OP, is there a way to make an archive of what happens in the chat so people can read it at anytime?

I personally don't think it will be a worthwhile, as the discussions are not as interesting as some people are assuming it to be. However, at least the people that think all interesting discussions are locked inside the chat can read it at anytime like a thread.
Busby Babe
Busby Babe
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:20 pm

I wonder where all the Admins are at this time of the year.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:40 pm

Dani is getting drunk

RedO is making cash money

Devi is taking pictures of Dani getting drunk and RedO making cash money

and JD is usually drunk isn't he?

RG Proud

The chat is fine. I like both the systems, but I think I prefer chat. Also, there isn't any reason why the chat can't bring up good discussion. In fact, I think it does more than you lot think, in addition to the random, funny off topic chat/trolling.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:58 pm

Daily chat update:

Today, only on chat.............

We discussed black films from the 90's meanwhile debating which of McAgger's parents locking him outside in the Russian winter or Catracho's parents semi auto birthday gift was worse parenting.

I think its safe to say threads should be made of such crucial events before the forum goes into complete disarray.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next