Wilson37
Jay29
RealGunner
SamuelJayC
8 posters

Go down

Newcastle v Arsenal Preview Empty Newcastle v Arsenal Preview

Post by SamuelJayC Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:17 pm

Newcastle v Arsenal, Sunday 29th December 1.30pm, Premier League, St.James' Park, Sky Sports 1

Newcastle v Arsenal Preview 144261180_westham_496427b
Walcott kept up his strong recent form against West Ham, helping the Gunners go top

Premier League

1. Arsenal 39pts
2. Man City 38pts
3. Chelsea 37pts
4. Liverpool 36pts
--------------
5. Everton 34pts
6. Newcastle 33pts
7. Man Utd 31pts

Gunners return to Tyneside for first time since memorable jubilant scenes in May

They weren't comfortable to watch, and they probably added a few more lines to Arsène Wenger's forehead, but the 90 minutes in which Arsenal last visited St.James' Park back in May, were arguably the most crucial in the club's recent history. Laurent Koscielny's second-half strike guaranteed Champions League football, well, a qualifier for Europe's premier competition at least, providing the platform for the inspirational signing of Mesut Özil and continuing the Gunners' excellent Premier League form - no side has accumulated more points in 2013 than Arsenal.

Ahead of the first meeting between the sides this season, on Sunday afternoon, it appears Wenger and Alan Pardew's teams have stepped it up a gear. Arsenal are 9 points better off than at this stage in the 2012/13 campaign, Newcastle 13 points.

"This place will be rocking, and Arsenal know that," Pardew said after his side defeated 9-man Stoke 5-1 on Boxing Day, "It's a difficult game for both of us, so let's see how we match up." That win was the Magpies' 7th in the last 9 League games. It's little wonder Wenger labelled his team's run of fixtures as "horrendous" - Arsenal have met Everton, Chelsea, Manchester City and Napoli already this month.

Match Facts

* Arsenal have lost just 1 of their last 12 Premier League games at St James Park.

* Arsenal have lost only one of their last 17 final games of the year (0-1 to Sheffield United in 2006).

* Olivier Giroud has only scored one of his 18 Premier League goals outside of London, but this solitary strike came in the north-east (at Sunderland) earlier this season.

* Arsenal have won the most Premier League points in 2013, and their current 79 point tally in the year cannot be surpassed by any other side.

* Yoan Gouffran has scored in five consecutive Premier League home games for Newcastle United.

Team News

Arsenal

Ramsey (thigh) joins Diaby (knee), Chamberlain (knee) & Sanogo (back) on the sidelines, but Wilshere (suspension), Koscielny (knee) & Rosický (rested) should all return.

Newcastle

Tiote is available again after his 1-match ban.

Newcastle v Arsenal Preview AbF6P4faen

Arsenal subs: Fabiański, Koscielny, Monreal, Wilshere, Özil, Podolski, Bendtner

Newcastle subs: Elliot, Taylor, Yanga-Mbiwa, Haïdara, Ben Arfa, Cissé, Ameobi

Prediction

As Pardew said, Sunday will be a true test of Arsenal's credentials. Chelsea & Liverpool have already dropped points at St.James' Park this season, and Newcastle have two of the League's in-form players just now; Cabaye & Remy. The French duo wouldn't look out of place in any side in the division, particularly the former, an Arsenal target last summer, no less.

Arsenal are unlikely to be top of the tree come kick-off, with Man City hosting relegation battlers Crystal Palace at the Etihad on Saturday. Three points are a must. Wilshere, Koscielny & Rosicky returning provides further options for Wenger, even if Ramsey's injury is a cruel blow.

I'm going for Arsenal to nick it 2-1 and stay top of the League heading into 2014.
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Newcastle v Arsenal Preview Empty Re: Newcastle v Arsenal Preview

Post by RealGunner Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:10 pm

Great work Sam.

Newcastle are in excellent form. They have beaten some of the biggest teams this season and are currently in top 8. This game will be as difficult as they get. The most important thing is to avoid any defensive lapses and make most of our chances. In this regard Giroud will need to step it up. I wouldn't mind starting Bendtner since he is fresh and is willing to fight and maybe a better option atm.

With Ramsey out, Wilshere is going to step in and hopefully step up as well. Some key decisions to make by Arsene in terms of team selection. Rosicky, Wilshere, Flamini, Bendtner, Podolski and Monreal are all fresh. Is it worth a gamble to change half the team?

Won't mind seeing a midfield of Wilshere-Arteta-Ozil with Podolski-Giroud/Bendtner-Rosicky upfront.

We can win this.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:58 am

Despite their good form and being at home, I can't see Newcastle taking the game to us. Pardew likes to stick with what's working and the way they've beaten the bigger sides this season is to stay solid at the back and counter attack. There's a good chance they'll use the same strategy against us.

The difficulty, of course, is that they're really good at it. They've got some tough, hard working midfielders like Tiote, Sissoko and Anita that'll make it tough for our midfield to play, they've got pace on the counter with Gouffran and Remy and they have Cabaye who can score a screamer or put in a good set-piece. It's a functional set-up that's working well for them.

Alternatively, they can go with Ameobi up front, but I don't think they'll risk leaving two midfielders against our four.

What United, Spurs and Chelsea have in common, though, is that not they're best sides going forward. United and Spurs have both suffered from slow build-up and a lack of creativity, while Chelsea lack balance. We, at least, have a much more cohesive attack, and I think we will trouble them if we can produce some of the attacking play we showed against West Ham, albeit with a bit less openness in midfield.

We'll need to be patient and make sure we don't commit too many forward when trying to break them down, otherwise we'll leave ourselves vulnerable on the counter. Scoring early would really help, for obvious reasons.

I don't see too many changes despite the short turnaround of fixtures. I expect Koscielny will come back in if he's fully fit, and I wouldn't be surprised if Arteta was rested and Flamini and Wilshere started, given they neither played in the last two games and would be a lot fresher than Arteta, who's had to do a lot of work this week. So I'd go with this:

Szczesny

Sagna - Mertesacker - Koscielny - Gibbs

Flamini - Wilshere

Walcott - Ozil - Cazorla

Giroud

I'm sure we'll see more rotation against Cardiff on New Year's Day, especially since there's nine days (again...) between the FA Cup game against Spurs and our next league game against Villa.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:02 pm

nice preview guys..
Wenger has to make some tough decisions regarding team selection for this match..
i would better see some rotation/changes and the team performing below par, than seeing tired performances from same players with excuse jaded.. we have a good squad with good players.. it is important to give them chances and show trust in them to keep everyone sharp and fit..

imo, Wilshere will certainly be starting.. Rosicky waiting for his chance after resting last game.. Poldi or Bendtner may be chosen as CF.. (wont be surprised if Giroud starts again.. playing away at Newcastle may not be the time for this change).. Flamini waiting to start.. (but no one can provide the calmness and security that we enjoy when Arteta is playing).. and finally keep Verminator or bring back Kos..? it is really hard to drop Verminator especially after last 2 games.. he is not a 3rd choice CB.. it is just his form was poor..

so quite a lot of options there.. i will be really disappointed if Wenger plays the same team again and it goes wrong..
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:31 pm

Great Job Sam.

There is no reason why we should not win this game, Newcastle have been playing well but we must get all 3 points. This is one tricky game, and if we take our chances we can really hurt them.
Its never easy playing Newcastle away, we need to start with pace, and get our passes right from the first whistle. Not giving up silly penalties. Control the midfield with Flamini and give Arteta rest.

We need a super sub, and Podolski can do that if Giroud is having night off again. Lat time Giroud played Newcastle he scored 2 goals in few minutes, would be a nice place to start scoring again.

You know this is a personal game for Alan Pardew after whole “Cabaye affair” I think it will be a great game and I hope we put them in their place.

2-1 win, with Theo and Giroud scoring.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:05 am

Great work Sam

i Would leave rotation for Cardiff and only drop Arteta for this one
with the way Newcastle stand off with front two we would bypass that phase of our build up and let a CB do the distribution
not sure how Flamshere pairing would work though
although you would think there wont be any partnership and they will play apart from each other if started

Aaron will be a big miss with his Goal threat but also offering him self as a passing option or going beyond pressing etc

i would stick with Giroud and hope he finally ends this drought

we can do this
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:26 am

We will not rotate, Wenger hates that word.  rofl

Big win tomorrow, Molecastle will get good beating. :bow: 
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:43 am

Who is Moal going to root for?

He says he is newcastle fan but i've noticed he is also a closet arsenal fan hmm
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:10 am

CBarca wrote:Who is Moal going to root for?

He says he is newcastle fan but i've noticed he is also a closet arsenal fan hmm
Who doesn't like Arsenal...

Anyway, it's gonna be tough. I think that goes without saying, but I have a good feeling about this game (usually when I have a good feeling about a game, we seem to feck things up, but hopefully not today)

I'm reading on twitter that Özil will be completely rested for today. So if that's the case, certainly Santi has gotta get the CAM spot with Wilshere next to Arteta. I would like Poldi to start up top, but you just know Wenger that ain't gonna happen.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down