LeBéninois
Kamikaze692
rwo power
S
Onyx
24 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

UEFA Best Player of the Year 2014 Discussion Empty UEFA Best Player of the Year 2014 Discussion

Post by Onyx Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:13 pm

Neuer, Ronaldo and Robben are the finalists for the UEFA best player in Europe award.

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2131940.html

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

UEFA Best Player of the Year 2014 Discussion Empty Re: UEFA Best Player of the Year 2014 Discussion

Post by S Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:18 pm

Yohan Modric wrote:Neuer, Ronaldo and Robben are the finalists for the UEFA best player in Europe award.

This should be the Ballon D'or top 3 rather than a UEFA Top 3 cos as far as i'm concerned,Robben was really meh in the latter stages of the CL and i think Di Maria should be in place of him.As for Neuer,i think its a bit of a debatable inclusion as well.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

UEFA Best Player of the Year 2014 Discussion Empty Re: UEFA Best Player of the Year 2014 Discussion

Post by Onyx Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:29 pm

Full ranking:

4- Müller
5- Lahm
5- Messi
7- James
8- Luis Suarez
9- Di Maria
10- Diego Costa

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:29 pm

Manuel Neuer! I'm absolutely delighted that he was nominated under the final three!

S wrote:As for Neuer,i think its a bit of a debatable inclusion as well.
Where exactly is he debatable??
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by S Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:32 pm

rwo power wrote:Manuel Neuer! I'm absolutely delighted that he was nominated under the final three!

I dont know because i had other names in mind.Mind you,he'd waltz into my Ballon D'or Top 3.
But isnt the UEFA award criteria based on the league season + CL ? If so,i'd pick Diego Costa over him imo.
Ronaldo,Costa,Di Maria would be my Top 3.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:36 pm

Surprised James is ahead of Suarez and Di Maria.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Kamikaze692 Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:41 pm

S wrote:
Yohan Modric wrote:Neuer, Ronaldo and Robben are the finalists for the UEFA best player in Europe award.

This should be the Ballon D'or top 3 rather than a UEFA Top 3 cos as far as i'm concerned,Robben was really meh in the latter stages of the CL and i think Di Maria should be in place of him.As for Neuer,i think its a bit of a debatable inclusion as well.

The award is given for the best Club player in Europe, not the award for the best UCL Player.

The fact that Suarez is not there in the final list totally undermines it IMO. Robben (not even the best player in Bundesliga) at the cost of the undisputed best striker last season is laughable, and proof that these awards are nothing more than glorified popularity contests.
Kamikaze692
Kamikaze692
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:43 pm

Yohan Modric wrote:Surprised James is ahead of Suarez and Di Maria.

S wrote:
rwo power wrote:Manuel Neuer! I'm absolutely delighted that he was nominated under the final three!

I dont know because i had other names in mind.Mind you,he'd waltz into my Ballon D'or Top 3.
But isnt the UEFA award criteria based on the league season + CL ? If so,i'd pick Diego Costa over him imo.

I'm pretty sure that most people just vote without making a huge difference between uefa player of the year and ballon d'or. Hence why James is so high in the rankings
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Kamikaze692 Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:47 pm

Zlatan Ibrahimovich (topscored in Ligue 1 and scored 10 in UCL) is 11th but James finishes 7th for performing well in a tournament, totally outside the jurisdiction of the award
:bow: :bow: :bow:
Kamikaze692
Kamikaze692
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:48 pm

@S

On the other hand, Manu Neuer was pretty good in Bundesliga, DFB-Pokal and CL, too.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by S Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:58 pm

Kamikaze692 wrote:
S wrote:

The award is given for the best Club player in Europe, not the award for the best UCL Player.

The fact that Suarez is not there in the final list totally undermines it IMO. Robben (not even the best player in Bundesliga) at the cost of the undisputed best striker last season is laughable, and proof that these awards are nothing more than glorified popularity contests.

S wrote:

S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by S Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:59 pm

rwo power wrote:@S

On the other hand, Manu Neuer was pretty good in Bundesliga, DFB-Pokal and CL, too.

Yes but i'd rate what Costa did for Atleti last season higher than Neuer.
He was in the Top 3 of the European golden boot if i'm not mistaken and made a huge impact in the CL as well.(was among one of the top scorers in the tourney)
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:02 pm

Well, the problem is that there ist no golden boot equivalent for goalkeepers, or Manu Neuer would be high up there for save percentage and clean sheets, too, and thus he'd be as deserving as a striker who scores many goals.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:03 pm

Not a lot of people want to say this....

But Robben was extremely average in the KO stage of the WC, had zero impact on any of the games other than a dive against Mexico.

People questioned Messi's performance and rightly so in some cases but Robben was no better and arguably worse.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

UEFA Best Player of the Year 2014 Discussion Empty UEFA Best Player of the Year 2014 Discussion

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:06 pm

S wrote:

He was in the Top 3 of the European golden boot if i'm not mistaken and made a huge impact in the CL as well.(was among one of the top scorers in the tourney)

"huge impact " is debatable he was a non factor against Chelsea aside from a penalty and didn't play against Madrid and Barca.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:15 pm

My system got hacked, don't remember making this thread. Razz

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by S Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:17 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
S wrote:

"huge impact " is debatable he was a non factor against Chelsea aside from a penalty and didn't play against Madrid and Barca.

Perhaps but he made a huge breakthrough in Europe last season.Being the 3rd highest scorer in the tourney(in lesser minutes) counts for something imo.He was an impact player for them, i believe.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:21 pm

If this is UEFA then why is James on the list???

FFS :facepalm: nvm

Last edited by El Gunner on Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by S Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:21 pm

El Gunner wrote:If this is UEFA then why is James on the list???

Hype obviously
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:25 pm

S wrote:
El Gunner wrote:If this is UEFA then why is James on the list???

Hype obviously

Nah I was in a short-lengthed mindset that James just joined a European club this season, which is not true of course. Hence the reason I edited my post.

El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:26 pm

S wrote:
Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
S wrote:

Perhaps but he made a huge breakthrough in Europe last season.Being the 3rd highest scorer in the tourney(in lesser minutes) counts for something imo.He was an impact player for them, i believe.

Fair enough, I wouldn't have a problem with him or Neuer top 3 anyway.

We all know Ronaldo is winning it anyway.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:44 pm

This list is worse than the one where Rooney made it into top 5 while Ibra just scraped top ten.

What is James doing there?? and why is Costa so far down?? Ibra not even in top ten???? As long as the worthy player wins I suppose it makes up for the crappy list
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:44 pm

If World Cup had zero effect on this (as Messi was the best player) why is Robben, Neuer and Muller ahead of Messi?  Laughing
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:53 pm

Di Maria/Bale/Diego Costa should be ahead of Neuer.

And lol the WC hype, James Proud

Pretty sure CR will win this though.
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:56 pm

Because they actually had a great season unlike the general who was apparently saving himself for the WC only to save himself for the next game and so on until the final. Also WC must be a factor or else James wouldn't even be in the top hundred forget in THAT list

Last edited by halamadrid2 on Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next