Harmonica
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

FIFA to test video replay - Page 2 Empty Re: FIFA to test video replay

Post by BeautifulGame Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:36 am

RedOranje wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:
RedOranje wrote:So if a referee waves play-on in a hand-ball situation or potential foul (such as a shoulder-to-shoulder in the box) and then a manager wishes to challenge will they stop play and check the video? Because that absolutely would effect the flow of the game, and dramatically so at that.
They could probably have the 4th ref do that and inform the ref is the wrong call was made.

So then all play after the play-on call is waved away regardless of what happens post-incident? I can only see such practices causing MORE controversy and issues, not less.

Seems to me this is all likely to cause MORE major issues rather than fewer by trying to fix a symptom rather than the underlying problem of incredibly vague regulations and nonsensical explanations that lead to broad and conflicting interpretations. Technology is great and offers some real benefits (goal-line tech being a key example) but it's not ALWAYS the answer. I fear many people are getting too caught up in the novelty and idea of change, and aren't considering the full potential (likely as I see it) ramifications.

The key is no of challenges allowed.If its restricted to one unsuccessful challenge per team then teams wont waste it 50-50 shoulder barges and mainly on game changing decisions.

As for inconclusive replays they should stick with on field referee in that case.Video referee should only overrule if its clear cut decision

BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:38 am

Also the decision making should be with players(Captain ) imo.Managers most often wont be near the action to decide whether the challenge is needed or not.

BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:38 am

2 challenges per team imo

Worst case scenario play is pointlessly interrupted 4 times. A small price to pay for a reduce in ridiculous dives, penalties, red cards and offside goals.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:42 am

Only to have plenty of other missed ridiculous dives, penalties, red cards and offside goals plus dangerous counterattacks ended, spells of increasing pressure broken, and other gamesmanship.

I remain unconvinced.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:44 am

Meh, catching some offenders and stopping some game changing decisions due to human error is better than stopping none

I am 100% for this, so long as the No. of challenges is limited.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:49 am

Why would anyone miss dives or penalties or red cards if they keep on successfully challenging the wrong decisions?

Team will only lose the right to challenge only if their challenge is wrong.

If they contest for correct decision decision and lose their right to challenge for a game changing penalty/red card its their mistake .

Also the referees will be saved form the unfair criticism they are subjected to which will result in improved performance from them as well as has happened in cricket and hockey

One will never get 100% accurate decisions infootball regardless of whatever technology.But the key is reducing the match changing errors not getting every 50-50 challenge correct

Last edited by BeautifulGame on Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:53 am; edited 1 time in total
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:51 am

Like I said there will never, ever be a perfect way to officiate games

However we shouldn't settle for the current mess of massive human error just because we can't achieve a perfect method.

Reducing human error and clamping down on cheats would be a start
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:53 am

Maybe they can limit it to certain incidents only.

Penalties and wrongly allowed/disallowed goals for a start.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:54 am

Straight reds definitely.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:59 am

Dutch Football Federation release footage showing how video refereeing works

The Dutch FA have been the driving force in the quest to introduce video refereeing at the top level of world football.

And the Dutch federation (KNVB) have now released a video, (with English subtitles) to highlight the work that went on last season to see if video refereeing works.

The Sunday Mirror revealed their initiative at the weekend and the global interest in the story has been compelling.

The Dutch proposal to use video referees will be presented to the IFAB - who govern the laws of football - this week. They are traditionally conservative but, as you'll see from their video, the Dutch refs hope to have the next stage of video refereeing up and running next year.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/dutch-football-federation-release-footage-4045667

BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by drakefyre Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:50 pm

BeautifulGame wrote:Also the decision making should be with players(Captain ) imo.Managers most often wont be near the action to decide whether the challenge is needed or not.

What makes a player more likely to judge to an opportunity to challenge better than the manager? Players can be far away from the action or too involved with their game (challenging for a ball, making a run) to see what happened to the man on the ball. And it can be unfair to put that kind of pressure on a player.

I don't think this is going to be easily implementable.
Imagine this
- player goes down in the box under challenge, gets up, has a chance to shoot at goal
- ref blows the whistle,interrupts play and points to the spot
- defense challenges the decision
- videos overrule the ref
now what?

For video replays to work IMO, the play should already be stopped by the ref and the decision to stop play should be considered correct, in the sense once you stop the play, you cant undo it.
Only scenario I can see this working foolproof is when you need to decide the color of the card after a foul(or if a card needs to be issued).In this case, the refs decision to allow a foul should be considered irrevocable to ensure that the attacking team does not lose an advantage just because the ref decided to stop play.
drakefyre
drakefyre
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:18 pm

first use it only for offside and then we will see it it works out. I have three scenarios where, a player is called offside by the linesman and we have a video replay system in play:
1. then he continues the run and finishes the chance to score a goal
2. he doesnt go ahead with the ball and simply decides to stop because he was called offside.
3. the player is not called offside but the defenders are sure that the player was offside; so they decide to challenge the referee for replay and simply stop running.

So the only possibility to avoid confusion and make this system work, is that both teams will keep running and try to defend or score, irrespective of whether a linesman calls offside or not. This whole idea sounds so stupid to me

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:03 pm

We had that discussion before, video evidence is not practical for offside decisions. The only cases to use it are penalties, red cards, and disallowed goals
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:32 am

Interesting article aboout the Shaw injury in connection with the demand for video refereeing.

Spells out many of my thoughts about it too. Mainly, incidents will not be clear cut, someone has to make a CALL, and video refereeing would only displace where the call is made to even more controversial places-

On the one hand, there is the argument that Moreno’s challenge was an automatic sending‑off judging by Uefa’s guidance for any tackle that has “excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent”. On the other, there is the counter‑argument that it was hard but fair and that, unfortunately in sport, injuries can happen without culpability having to be attached. It is a split jury. Nobody is going to disprove the other case and the only real conclusion to draw is that this surely kills, stone dead, the argument that video technology will solve these cases.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/sep/19/referees-luke-shaw-technology
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by T-Mach Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:29 am

Thought of starting a new thread after the C*ntsta incident about video replay & its assistance in refereeing.

I hope FIFA is taking serious measures regarding video assistance to save the beautiful game & eliminate refereeing mistakes out from the game.As long as the match is won/lost because of players & their mistakes its fine but the when the match is won/lost because of a mistake by someone not related to either of the teams its feels so horrible.

Helmer wrote:first use it only for offside and then we will see it it works out. I have three scenarios where, a player is called offside by the linesman and we have a video replay system in play:
1. then he continues the run and finishes the chance to score a goal
2. he doesnt go ahead with the ball and simply decides to stop because he was called offside.
3. the player is not called offside but the defenders are sure that the player was offside; so they decide to challenge the referee for replay and simply stop running.

So the only possibility to avoid confusion and make this system work,  is that both teams will keep running and try to defend or score, irrespective of whether a linesman calls offside or not. This whole idea sounds so stupid to me

Quite an interesting point.I wanna know how it can be solved.
With the video assistance in,I guess linesman will think twice about calling offside coz they know they'll be held responsible if {2}/{3} happen and he made the wrong call.

Since footballers are thought to play for the whistle,I believe linesmen will have no job other than deciding throw-ins.Or if they feel that the player was offside and instead of raising the flag,he communicates the same with the video referee who then checks it out & let's the linesman/referee know whether 'twas offside or not while the play goes on.

Seems outlandish to the say the least.

I hope they first test it on overturning cards,fouls & pens and then go for offside/disallowed goals.
T-Mach
T-Mach
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:23 am

Use it as much as possible. The players have been fooling the refs for too long now. It won't stop the hard tackles or the feints but I don't give a damn at this point. I'd rather have the right call be made as much as possible.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2