Raptorgunner
Twoism
RealGunner
urbaNRoots
Jay29
20 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Borussia Dortmund 2 - 0 Arsenal: What a mess Empty Borussia Dortmund 2 - 0 Arsenal: What a mess

Post by Jay29 Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:02 pm

If there's one thing I have learned from tonight's horror show of a performance, it's that Arsenal have not learnt their lessons from the beatings they took away from home last season. We didn't lose 6-0 tonight – though probably should've done on the balance of chances – but the signs I saw were worryingly similar to those games last year. When the entire team perform poorly, then it's either down to preparation for the game, or the tactics on the day.

We were dominated the whole game. Right from the first whistle, Dortmund were in our faces and we spent the first 15 minutes unable to get out of own half. It was down to a combination of fierce Dortmund pressure and Arsenal's inability to control a football, let alone string a couple of passes together. We didn't concede in this period but the signs that this was going to be a bad night were present in that Arsenal didn't change their approach. They kept trying to play their way out the back and kept getting caught. In these sorts of situations, it's better to just hoof it up field so your front man can chase something. Relieve your back four of the pressure rather than invite pressure onto them.

Arsenal inability to keep the ball just made things more difficult for themselves and with a system that leaves them so vulnerable at the back it was asking for trouble. Playing with one DM and no attacking midfielder encourages the two central midfielders to push on into the space in front of them. Doing so leaves a gap between the central midfielders and the holding player, so the holding player then has to push up as well, and the back four then follows. In that situation, you press off the ball so the opposition can't play a simple ball over the top.

But Arsenal don't do any of that. Ramsey and Wilshere push on, but Arteta stays where he is. So when Arsenal lose the ball, there's space for the opposition to exploit. Throw in two fullbacks that always push up the field as well and you're left with three players at the back, with space in front of them and down the sides, and several players up the field not doing enough to stop the opposition from playing the ball into those spaces.

It's nothing complicated and it's a trap Arsenal have fallen into time and time again. All Dortmund had to do was play the ball forward and their attackers were running at our defence. Both goals came from throw ins we had in their half. Immobile's, in particular, was an absolute joke. The guy got to run 40 yards with the ball before stumbling his way past Gibbs and Koscielny. How the hell do you let any forward run 40 yards at you with the ball?

It wasn't the last time that happened. Mikhitaryan must have done at least three times, and Subtotic, a centre back hardly famed for his technical skill, casually waltzed through our midfield – or lack of it – with the ball.

We've not learnt our lesson and it does my head in. We're playing away from home against one of the best sides in Europe, and we decide to set-up in such a way that leaves the weakest part of our team exposed. I don't know what Wenger is thinking and that's not the first time I've said that in the last year or so.

It wouldn't be as bad if we were threatening going forward but we weren't. We couldn't control the ball, couldn't pass it, couldn't dribble past players and any chances we did manage to eek out were missed.

We can sit here and point fingers at the players – we could scapegoat Ozil again, we can call Welbeck a shit striker, etc. - but the system they're playing in does nothing for them. It's offering no balance at all; not helping the side keep the ball; not protecting their defence; not creating a good number of chances going forward; and not getting the best out of our best players. I don't see any signs that it's the formation for us this season and the longer we play it, the more I'll worry about us and what we might fail to accomplish.

It's made all the more frustrating that there was no reason to move away from the 4-2-3-1 that served us well last season. We lacked pace but we had balance and ball retention and that helped us become a better side defensively. Now all I see is disorganisation caused by a lack of balance. Wenger needs to find it again otherwise this is going to be a very long season.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Borussia Dortmund 2 - 0 Arsenal: What a mess Empty Re: Borussia Dortmund 2 - 0 Arsenal: What a mess

Post by urbaNRoots Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:10 pm

One of those games where you gotta say hands down they were the better team. It's pointless to even discuss individuals, there was no top performer.

Funny how Özil and Ramsey had to go off, two of our best attacking performers last season. All ruined because of an uneccessary change of formation.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Borussia Dortmund 2 - 0 Arsenal: What a mess Empty Re: Borussia Dortmund 2 - 0 Arsenal: What a mess

Post by RealGunner Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:18 pm

Disgusting performance. Granted we are playing against Dortmund away but that level of performance is League 2 worthy.

I can't remember a moment in the match where we passed 10 times in a row. There was no link up. No combination play. Every chance got ruined by shit finishing. Every cross went to their GK or cleared away.

Ramsey playing as a 10? why lol? He looked so much better whenever he dropped deep.

Wilshere was very good.

Arteta. I want to forgive him by saying this was his first match in months but that was an unacceptable performance by our captain.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:21 pm

changes need to be made or this will be a LONG LONG season
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:26 pm

No point really, there wont be any changes. Wenger will get outplayed by every single manager for next 3 years.Its embarrassing Arteta is our DM, and whats more embarrassing is he our Leader. :facepalm: rofl

Wenger will never change, there is no pressure on him. We are the smallest squad in the BPL with Burnley. :facepalm: :facepalm:
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:33 pm

awful awful performance, Dortmund won with ease and deservedly so. They could have won by more to be honest, if Mikitharyan and Aubameyang had taken their chances then it could have been ugly. Dortmund were without Reus, Hummels, Gundohan, Kagawa, Piczek yet we were totally outclassed. I expected us to go there and do what we did last year but we wilted under pressure, very disappointing stuff.

The worrying thing is we have seen this type of thing happen too often in the past, put Arsenal under pressure and stop them from playing and they will make mistakes for you. I know Dortmund pressed well and harried us in midfield but we were very poor with the ball. Jack, Ramsey and Arteta all gave it away times after times so did Ozil and Sanchez.

There was very little fluidity or control in our game, without that we can't do anything. it was as if we had never played against a team who employs a pressing game. The goal we conceded in the first half was very poor, once again we gave the ball away cheaply. Koscielny who was probably our best player on the night allowed Immobile to go past him whilst Gibbo watched behind him.Second half was even worse, I thought we might put them under pressure in the last 15 mins but everyone gave up and Dortmund won comfortably.

This result is a big blow because it will be very difficult for us to finish top in order to avoid the big guns in the last 16, can't see Dortmund dropping points against other scrubs in this group. The most alarming thing is we still live can't with teams who employ a pressing game at a high tempo, we even saw this earlier this season against Everton. We want to compete with the best but we can't even live with Dortmund and Everton for 20 minutes Mad
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:41 pm

Wilshere rolled his ankle. Wenger doesn't know how serious it is.

Neutral

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:45 pm

If this team finishes in top 4, it will be embarrassing for EPL, smallest squad in EPL and losing a player every single game. :facepalm:
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:51 pm

Disappointed with him tonight, lost count of the amount of times he gave it away
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:51 pm

It's unreal, I mean, even with all of dortmund's injuries, they still had better defensive cover than us!!!

Are you kidding, what is dortmunds wage bill? yet they have 4!!!!! top class defenders. hummels, sabotic, ginter, pap. 4!!!!!! WENGER WTF ARE YOU DOING????its not even funny, that is just BASIC POOR management.

HOW THE BLEEP HAVE WE GONE INTO THE SEASON LIKE THIS?? HOW? NO DM, NO CB, AVERAGE STRIKERS.

I am not even mentioning the style of play and tactics because we all know klopp is a much better coach than wenger, but a better manager as well? how much money has klopp got to work with compared to wenger? yet look at the squad he has assembled in the summer; look at the smart signings he achieved..., WENGER IS A FRAUD. only reason we get into the top 4 is because everyone else bar the top 3 in the pl is SHIT.  

we are playing the same shit as last year/ have same squad gaps, every year, we are STAGNANT! and I hate it!!!!
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:03 pm

ARTETA
on a difficult night…
We played against one of the top sides in one of the most difficult stadiums in Europe - we knew that from the start. They put us under a lot of pressure and we conceded a goal with just 20 seconds to go in the first half from our throw-in on the other end of the pitch. After you go 1-0 down here it's very difficult. They were very good on the break and we didn't perform well enough tonight.

on Dortmund grabbing the initiative…
They've got a lot of pace and put us under a lot of pressure up front. We gave the ball away too many times in our own half. They took the game where they wanted to take it and that's disappointing for us.

on forgetting about this defeat…
Absolutely, we have a big game coming up away to Aston Villa in four days. We've got to be ready because it's going to be a tough one.

SZCZESNY
on the performance...
It wasn’t good. We lost two goals and it was probably lucky that we didn’t concede more. They counter-attacked us very well. On another day they probably could have finished more [chances] so it was very disappointing.

on whether the fast tempo was a surprise…
That’s no surprise in the Champions League. You get to play against the best teams in Europe. You expect them to play at this pace. We didn’t do it well enough so now we need to improve for the second game.
on how confident he is about progressing…
We’ve got six games to play. We lost the first one, which was an important one, but we’ve got to pick ourselves up and get some momentum over the next couple of games at home, and hopefully put ourselves in the mix.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Eman Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:06 pm

I won't comment on the game because I didn't see it. I will be working during champions league hours for the whole of the group stages, but I just hope I can actually see some champions league football come 2015 if we're going to play like that. I know, we'll still qualify, but ffs; the highlights alone have me cringing.

I hate to harp on the most obvious source for improvement, but since I can't quite comment on the game, man we really screwed up this summer. I'm not really convinced we're any better of a team than we were last year. Ospina vs. Fabianski, Debuchy vs. Sagna, Chambers vs. Vermaelen - none of these new signings are really better than the guy they replaced, or if they are, it's arguable, and it's also arguable that they could be worse. I'm willing to give him a chance, but before he signed here, I didn't rank Welbeck that much higher than Bendtner ffs.

We're basically the same team as before with Alexis Sanchez, with the same obvious weaknesses and frustrating lack of consistency so far this campaign, and more injuries than we can possibly handle. We needed to bring good players in for vital positions and we didn't do it, and now we have been mediocre at best since the start of the season. I haven't been completely happy with any of our performances.

We need to figure our shit out.
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:14 pm

Jay that avatar lmao Laughing
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:20 pm

Eman wrote:I won't comment on the game because I didn't see it. I will be working during champions league hours for the whole of the group stages, but I just hope I can actually see some champions league football come 2015 if we're going to play like that. I know, we'll still qualify, but ffs; the highlights alone have me cringing.

I hate to harp on the most obvious source for improvement, but since I can't quite comment on the game, man we really screwed up this summer. I'm not really convinced we're any better of a team than we were last year. Ospina vs. Fabianski, Debuchy vs. Sagna, Chambers vs. Vermaelen - none of these new signings are really better than the guy they replaced, or if they are, it's arguable, and it's also arguable that they could be worse. I'm willing to give him a chance, but before he signed here, I didn't rank Welbeck that much higher than Bendtner ffs.

We're basically the same team as before with Alexis Sanchez, with the same obvious weaknesses and frustrating lack of consistency so far this campaign, and more injuries than we can possibly handle. We needed to bring good players in for vital positions and we didn't do it, and now we have been mediocre at best since the start of the season. I haven't been completely happy with any of our performances.

+1

biggest worry is that we haven't won since the palace game Shocked
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:38 pm

EL Patron wrote:
Eman wrote:I won't comment on the game because I didn't see it. I will be working during champions league hours for the whole of the group stages, but I just hope I can actually see some champions league football come 2015 if we're going to play like that. I know, we'll still qualify, but ffs; the highlights alone have me cringing.

+1

And that Palace game was a fluke win.

We can blame any player we want in our team but manager is the one responsible for the players in our team and and responsible for who to play. We Have the quality, at least offensively, our BANK Manager is clueless on how to use and motivate that quality. We wont win shit with redundant tactics. Put any decent manager in charge of this Arsenal squad would cause havoc for any team, home or away.

If Klopp was in charge of this Arsenal team and Wenger in charge of Dortmund what you think the score line would have been?
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:47 pm

Borussia Dortmund 2 - 0 Arsenal: What a mess 10653798_563707260424428_6758997869469768703_n

ffs :facepalm:
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:04 am

I'm actually going to re-watch parts of the game and get some screenshots going of our lack of defensive protection. Might have something approaching analysis up tomorrow morning.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:10 am

dat self torture
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:14 am

Call it intellectual curiosity.

I've watched the first three minutes so far and Arsenal don't get out of their half once. Dortmund were all over us. It wasn't until Koscielny dribbled out and just played it over the top for Welbeck that we finally got into their half. Kept the ball for about five seconds after that before losing it. Laughing

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:18 am

GJ...where did you get your avatar ??

I want one for 4-4-2 diamond...I'm having the exact same issues with manager changing a winning and proven formation :facepalm:

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:25 am

Just google 442 diamond and take your pick.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shed Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:31 am

Natalie Portman wrote:GJ...where did you get your avatar ??

I want one for 4-4-2 diamond...I'm having the exact same issues with manager changing a winning and proven formation :facepalm:

Spoiler:

Borussia Dortmund 2 - 0 Arsenal: What a mess DIAMOND_MIDFIELD1

hmm
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by 6unner Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:21 am

Raptorgunner wrote:
EL Patron wrote:

+1

And that Palace game was a fluke win.

We can blame any player we want in our team but manager is the one responsible for the players in our team and and responsible for who to play. We Have the quality, at least offensively, our BANK Manager is clueless on how to use and motivate that quality. We wont win shit with redundant tactics. Put any decent manager in charge of this Arsenal squad would cause havoc for any team, home or away.

If Klopp was in charge of this Arsenal team and Wenger in charge of Dortmund what you think the score line would have been?

I actually think that Klopp or just about any manager would want to replace most of this team. The team as a whole is unbalanced and lacking quality.

We have 3 teams worth of average of CM's, CAMs that are wasted on the wings, no prolific striker, 1 healthy winger, no DM/holding MID that will put the fear in anyone, average FBs. For some reason we seem to be more worried about a "British Core" than about getting the players in that can actually win anything. Then modifying our tactics to be able to use as many average players as possible.

6unner
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:29 am

Okay, so having watched parts of the game back, the conclusion I've reached is that Arsenal had no defensive plan based on their opposition, and stupidly kept doing the same things despite their being clear warning signs. Big shocker, I know.

Spoiler:

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:15 am

I have not much to say. The previous analysis are spot on. If you guys can see it so clearly , I guess Wenger is also well aware too. The question is why are the same mistake made ? Imo Wenger doesn't have the ABILITY to make a defensive plan based on his opponent's strenghts. Last year the reason we had a great run in the league is because our defensive line were terrific. Sagna-Mert-Kos were very solid defensively allowing guys like Ramsey to roam forward.
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next