Is Andy Townsend The Most Biased Commentator In The World?

+23
Donuts
CBarca
Art Morte
Doc
titosantill
Forza
McAgger
Tomwin Lannister
RED
Rebaño Sagrado
RealGunner
Bellabong
M99
Freeza
futbol
Mr_Puyol
Robespierre
izzy
Cruijf
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Shed
Lex
27 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Is Andy Townsend The Most Biased Commentator In The World? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Andy Townsend The Most Biased Commentator In The World?

Post by Freeza Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:22 am

Tomwin Lannister wrote:Not me some of their commentating infuriates me in the pre-game panel I haven't watched it properly in like 2 CLs

The Danish ones are usually pretty good and funny in pregame shows tbh.

Sadly this GOAT trio is no longer together

Would think it's hard for most English commentators to stay less passionate because it's such a big part of the English culture.

Last edited by Freeza on Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:42 am; edited 1 time in total

Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Is Andy Townsend The Most Biased Commentator In The World? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Andy Townsend The Most Biased Commentator In The World?

Post by McAgger Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:39 am

Lay off Phil Thompson ffs. The guy has never hid the fact that he's a die hard Red.

I don't understand Andy Townsend's boner for us though Laughing
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:44 am

ACMRox wrote:Martin Tyler made me want to kill someone with his disgustingly thinly veiled pro-British attitude all game so I feel deeply for anyone that had to endure something worse Laughing

Yeah, Martin Tyler is usually decent, but tonight he was poor. When the game finally ended it was "Basel are through", but you know if Liverpool had won it would've been "LIVERPOOL HAVE MADE ANOTHER EXTRAORDINARY COMEBACK AT ANFIELD! THEY WERE EXCELLENT WITH A MAN DOWN AND A GOAL DOWN! WHAT A TEAM!!!"
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:13 am

Correct me if i'm wrong, for those who speak other languages (german, french, italian, spanish, etc...) isn't the blatant bias towards clubs from the country just as evident? (maybe except in cases where there is deep rooted rivalry or dislike between certain clubs)....i mean we can all be disgruntled at the bias, from townsend's calling of the arsenal game, to ray wilkins infamous "stay on your feet" rant...but the same may be going on in other European commentaries, just that some of us do not understand the language or understand it well enough and it may just be the norm among commentators in general (i'm just playing devil's advocate and trying to put a positive spin on it....believe me I know some of the bias can be extremely overbearing at times).....people who speak and understand other languages (very fluent communicators, because I understand some languages here and there but not well enough to catch certain dialects and sarcasm during commentaries) and follow those commentaries and commentators may be in the best position to tell us whether its an epl thing or a regular phenomenon across european football
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:28 am

I agree tito. However, if you're commentating in English, I think you have a higher responsibility to be unbiased because people watch English-language commentary in places other than England.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:45 am

You guys probably never had the privilege of listening to NBC commentary for the Olympics.

I personally don't mind the bias since I rarely take on commentary these days but Andy set the bar really high yesterday. I think he was more Red than Jaime (both of them), Thompson, Rush, Fowler, Tommy Smith, Phil Neal, King Kenny, Jan, Sepi combined.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:28 am

I kinda like it that commentators are biased towards clubs from their country, but obviously there's a limit.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:36 am

NBC's coverage of the Olympics :facepalm:
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by 1991 Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:17 pm

Liverpool & Yanited will always be the darlings of the British media.

It's particularity hilarious when fans of either of these clubs (usually Pool fans to be fair to Man utd fans) claim that the media is against them.

Last edited by 1991 on Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:19 pm

my favorite is the argentines.

but to be fair it was national team so bias is fine
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:43 pm

1991 wrote:Liverpool & Yanited will always be the darlings of the British media.

It's particularity hilarious when fans of either of these clubs (usually Pool fans to be fair to Man utd fans) claim that the media is against them.

Says the fan of a top 4 club and from London no less Laughing Supporters of London clubs plus the traditional other big 4 teams have no right to complain about any decisions.

You all get ridiculously favoured by the refs and media compared to the rest of the league.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:45 pm

ray hudson is an englishman but when it comes to commentating, it did not look like "englishman", i think you know what i mean, Wink

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:45 pm

Freeza wrote:I don't really mind at all tbf, more entertaining than complete neutrals. What exactly do people hate about it? In Denmark it's widely widely accepted and encouraged to cheer for a national club like it's your own internationally, and if even it wasn't, I still don't see a problem with it at all.

There's being biased and there's what's seen in this thread.

It's embarrassing.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by 1991 Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:47 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
1991 wrote:Liverpool & Yanited will always be the darlings of the British media.

Says the fan of a top 4 club and from London no less Laughing Supporters of London clubs plus the traditional other big 4 teams have no right to complain about any decisions.

You all get ridiculously favoured by the refs and media compared to the rest of the league.
Is Andy Townsend The Most Biased Commentator In The World? - Page 2 82379-how-about-no-gif-UMMM-NO-Rupau-eAiH
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:21 pm

guest_07 wrote:ray hudson is an englishman but when it comes to commentating, it did not look like "englishman", i think you know what i mean, Wink

ray hudson's a bit different cos he runs commentary on another league. i may be mistaken but i don't think goltv ran premier league coverage back in the day....the bias could expand to the league that one covers, regardless of where one is from....for instance the journalists who cover spanish football, sid lowe, phil ball, despite being english men, might usually show some bias to spanish sides cos that's who they cover....

and hudson is the same, i remember his unnecessary and unfair attack on the epl after England got knocked out of the world cup in 06. yes, there are people who force the epl rhetoric on everyone, (the whole best league debate is a foolish argument imo, depends on what you like) but the league and national team are two different entities......i can't stand hudson's annoying metaphors, i'd listen to bias commentators or commentators who speak languages i don't understand before i listen to hudson.....my pc or tv are on mute when he's on
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Cruijf Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:03 pm

Hudson might just be the best commentator of all time...don't know what you're going on about. Everyone has their preferences but he's certainly neither bias nor unfair, he calls it like he sees it.
Cruijf
Cruijf
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:16 pm

He's even a crapper analyst/pundit.
Townsend that is.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by elitedam Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:57 pm

Ray Hudson is the most awful commentator I've ever heard. Worse than Galvao Bueno. There's nothing worse than hearing him scream and drivel on with his stupid metaphors. I didn't last 20 minutes before having to turn off the sound.
elitedam
elitedam
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:14 pm

elitedam wrote:Ray Hudson is the most awful commentator I've ever heard. Worse than Galvao Bueno. There's nothing worse than hearing him scream and drivel on with his stupid metaphors. I didn't last 20 minutes before having to turn off the sound.

"stupid" metaphor method commentator <<< clueless or stupid commentator (there are many of them on this earth)??????

your logic

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:01 am

ACMRox wrote:Hudson might just be the best commentator of all time...don't know what you're going on about. Everyone has their preferences but he's certainly neither bias nor unfair, he calls it like he sees it.

I said his attack on their league for the failure of their national team was unfair...in terms of bias, i haven't heard him call a ucl/europa league game pitting a spanish vs a non-spanish side, in that respect i am yet to hear the bias (though i'd hazard a guess he'll big up the league he calls, maybe not as bad as townsend)....as far as best of all time goes, he is Your best of all time, not THE best, (i doubt there's any one best), but me personally i just can't stand him, and his "magisterial" talk....different strokes i guess...a lot of people probably do love him, i think cristiano and messi fans especially, not that there's anything wrong with that, we all have our delights and our peeves
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:50 am

Hudson appeals to me because i grew up hearing over the top emotional mexican commentators..
when i started watching english commentators it was almsot so boring, somoene would score a goal and it would be silence for a good second or two, with a brief "what a good gol"
i prefer the commentator going just as crazy as i do over a goal.

but i can see how it's annoying when your watching a match with teams you probably don't care about.
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:07 am

Donuts wrote:Hudson appeals to me because i grew up hearing over the top emotional mexican commentators..
when i started watching english commentators it was almsot so boring, somoene would score a goal and it would be silence for a good second or two, with a brief "what a good gol"

but i can see how it's annoying when your watching a match with teams you probably don't care about.

i agree with you

its boring to see the soulless commentator

football will be an awesome sport if it is full of energetic player, energetic fan, energetic commentator, majority of it are energetic
(this come from the non-energetic but genius playmaker die hard fan)

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:16 am

Donuts wrote:Hudson appeals to me because i grew up hearing over the top emotional mexican commentators..

i'm a madrid fan, but i had to put hudson on mute a bunch of times even when winning, i dunno, i just like a good balance...btw, is it mexican commentary where they have that guy that sings when people score?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7vlaUkQ2dk and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phOxZHJeyXQ

yeah if i had to listen to those on every game i might have to bash the tv, i remember the italian commentator when i was younger who'd scream golaso a million times, that too annoyed me
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:51 am

I like Ray Hudson. I find that his style of commentating makes the match more desirable to watch ("if he's enjoying it so much, what about me?") and I personally enjoy his enthusiasm. His metaphors and similes is on point.

When he talks about Messi having more knowledge of geometry than Euclid, it makes me smile. I actually replayed my television multiple times after Messi's 2nd goal against Espanyol -- I don't know how many of you watch English commentary matches on beIN, but they did a slow-motion replay of Messi's 2nd goal and Hudson is like "Dink. Dart. Dagger. Messi" and it was perfect.

The only problem I have is that he uses the words 'magisterial' and 'magic' (amongst many others) for a lot of things, that sort of stuff bothers me.

Pip
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by elitedam Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:34 am

guest_07 wrote:
elitedam wrote:Ray Hudson is the most awful commentator I've ever heard. Worse than Galvao Bueno. There's nothing worse than hearing him scream and drivel on with his stupid metaphors. I didn't last 20 minutes before having to turn off the sound.

"stupid" metaphor method commentator <<< clueless or stupid commentator (there are many of them on this earth)??????

your logic

I guess I hate Hudson more because he's so loud and overbearing. I'm able to tune out the clueless commentators more easily than I can ignore Hudson screaming like a little girl at a Justin Bieber concert.

Generally, I prefer English commentators. American and Brasilian commentators are both annoying and clueless while Spanish speaking ones annoy me because it sounds like they're narrating the game for a radio station.
elitedam
elitedam
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:58 am

http://babb.telegraph.co.uk/2014/12/andy-townsend-is-not-the-co-commentator-we-want-but-he-is-the-co-commentator-we-deserve/

hmm
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2