Twoism
McAgger
Hapless_Hans
El Gunner
RealGunner
47 posters

Page 17 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread

Post by MJ Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:09 am

Between Per Mertesacker, Laurent Koscielny, Gabriel and Calum Chambers we have good cover in that department, two fullbacks in each position and all of the aforementioned can slot fill in for each other.

Adding a world class keeper behind them will only make them better. Coquelin and/or a new DM as well makes for great protection.

MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:04 am

urbaNRoots wrote:Because Cech is still one of the best GK in the world and better than both our current GK's. And he has shown no sign of decline so he's got some years in him left still.

Of course we must sign other players too but we can enjoy this one if it happens.

Don't understand why people think he's past it lol.

He was the best keeper in the league the season before last and was dropped because Mourinho wanted to go with the future in Courtois.

I said when it happened that Cech is still a better keeper and I still think he is ( unless a season without much football has had a bigger impact than I realise) A lot of crow will be eaten in regards to Cech this season.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:09 am

omg rofl

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:12 am

GoonerJay29 wrote:As Sri would always say, it's not official until its on the website.

Won't stop me being all like bounce though

Logged in after quite a while today (am on vacation). Good to see this. Jay keeping things sane in my absence <3

MJ wrote:This move has me so bounce that I'll probably be asking "Is Arsenal.com reliable?" if/when it's announced.

How dare you doubt the .com? You need to spend some time on the bench  The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread - Page 17 2276801876

My 2 cents after reading the 10 odd pages of posts:

I'm still not sure if we are actually becoming ruthless enough to sign in a position we only 'addressed' a year back. That said, IF we are doing this, I am really happy to see the you-are-out-if-you-are-not-pushing-on side of AW again. It's a welcome departure from the deadwood era.

At the same time, let's not get ahead of ourselves about us (finally) signing top players from domestic rivals instead of the likes of Silvestre and Gallas. This is a 34y.o. GK looking for more game time, because he's been benched by a young player who is already World Class. The likes of Sczcesny and Hart (and obviously, Ospina) are not the same league as DDG or Courtouis.

And in the mean time, we've always been linked with an older-experienced-mentor sorts since after Mad Jens days. Cech signing would definitely be better than the Schwarzer level types we were constantly linked with. And who knows, maybe Lollichan would come along and kick Szczesny back into the DDG/Courtouis class where he should have been in the first place. Wink

In all, it would be a good transfer no doubt. However, I expect something more from the summer and there has been an unsurprising lack of news on other fronts. Still early days, but it most definitely is a more relaxed summer than even the previous one. Thumbs up

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:46 am

srigooner wrote:
At the same time, let's not get ahead of ourselves about us (finally) signing top players from domestic rivals instead of the likes of Silvestre and Gallas. This is a 34y.o. GK looking for more game time, because he's been benched by a young player who is already World Class. The likes of Sczcesny and Hart (and obviously, Ospina) are not the same league as DDG or Courtouis.

It would be signing a 33* year old world class GK who is still among the best in the world, has won a plethora of trophies and would be plucked from Jose Mourinho against his will, I believe you're massively underselling the significance lol.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:57 am

I'm only trying to keep a lid on the excitement levels. On the contrary, imho, you are overselling it to prove your point. :coffee:

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:03 am

It is most definitely an upgrade on the current options in the position. We haven't had a GK in that class since arguably Seaman, although Mad Jens is a fair shout.

Hopefully, Cech and Lollichan can get Szcz and/or Emi into that bracket by the time Cech hangs his boots (/gloves) up.

One can always make an argument that 33/34 is not old for a GK and he can deliver even 5 seasons of top class performances, if not 3.

I still don't see this as us pulling off some major coup and "plucking someone from under Mourinho". Let's be honest - Mou didn't even let Demba effin' Ba leave on a loan. Cech has an almost legendary stature at Chelsea which allows him, supposedly, to have a (telling) say in his choice for a move, and that to a hated rival. But this is no coup like us signing Sol Campbell; this is purely circumstantial.

Now us signing Lloris - that will be a coup. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:23 am

srigooner wrote:I'm only trying to keep a lid on the excitement levels. On the contrary, imho, you are overselling it to prove your point. :coffee:

Definitely not. And everything is 'circumstantial'. We might not have signed Ozil if RM didn't sign Bale, same with Sanchez and Suarez. Cazorla --> Money problems at Malaga. Chelsea --> Courtois and Cech wants to stay in London. You're writing it off when transfer happen because circumstances change.

And no, he didn't let Demba freaking Ba join us on loan and that's exactly my point. He doesn't want Cech to join us because he know he's a huge upgrade. Abramovich is the one pulling the trigger here and that's why we're 'plucking' him. We're taking advantage of generous circumstances and signing a Chelsea legend who is still among the best in the world and doing it all while Mourinho shakes his head furiously. The significance of that isn't lost on you, is it?
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:29 pm

No, I am not contradicting what you are saying. The signings you bring up was us making hay while the sun shined. The purchase of Bale/Suarez were not circumstantial in the same sense - nor was Gabriel for us. Talking really broadly, however, you can always say everything depends on the circumstances Razz

However, I refuse to believe that Chelsea/Abrahmovic are so big hearted all of a sudden. These are the same jokers who thought Ba would make us a title threat. And all of a sudden they'll just let one of their top players walk across town? Call me a cynic, but the circumstances surrounding this are all very fishy to me.

That said, I am sure that AW and Arsenal know what ther're doing and won't get conned into a stupid transfer - like when we got Silvestre or when QSG bought David Luiz for 50m.

Arseblog knows what I mean Proud

Arseblog wrote:They might genuinely feel like they can’t stand in his way out of the goodness of their hearts, but goodness of heart is not a quality you can easily attribute to Roman Abramovich or Jose Mourinho. One a man who made his money in the most ruthless, rapacious way possible, the other one of the biggest wankblasters football has ever seen. It all seems a little against type, even if the fee of £10-12m would allow them to save face a little.

And while I accept fully there’s an issue with our goalkeeping position, there’s also a part of me that thinks if Chelsea really, really felt Cech would improve us to the point where our challenge would impact on their chances of winning the league, they simply wouldn’t allow the deal to happen. He’s undoubtedly a very good goalkeeper, at one point the best in the world, but definitely not the same player he was since that injury and not getting any younger.

http://arseblog.com/2015/06/time-for-me-to-cech-in-again/

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:38 pm

Sometimes a player is way too big to sit on the bench, Cech is like that. Ba was back up through and through, he was never 1st teamer so to keep or to sell makes no difference to the team or locker room. Cech has influence, whether positive or negative, i'm sure Chelsea evaluating. Mou sold Mata to MU before, this might not be a 1st time nor the last.

Also Gallas was still top notch defender when he joined, so lets not shat on him. He played well up until that Birmingham game.

That brings us to another point which Gallas was prime example, when player fixated on his destination, nothing much club could do if they want to recoup some money. Gallas refused to play to ask for Arsenal transfer, Cesc refused any club wanted him except Barca. So again it might not be as hard for Cech to leave as you think.

Also If Arseblog implied his head injury, Cech had a rough year and a half post injury but he's been solid ever since. There is also several example of 33-34 years old goalie still playing weekly til 40.

I'm positive with this transfer, Chesny obviously hasnt done convincing job, Ospina is hot and cold, so yeap we definitely use an upgrade there.
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:53 pm

Yes, Roman Abramovich is a murderous gangster and Jose Mourinho is his puppet, yes, it does seem fishy in that context.

But I wouldn't totally discount the possibility that Abramovich really does want to honor what Cech has done for the club. Maybe he feels that if he's only good enough for the Chelsea bench then Mourinho should be able to win the title even if he's sold him to us, you know? If they have a GK who is so good that he can bench one of the best in the world then they should be confident enough with their overall team and resources to let this one happen. Just another angle to consier.

And I still maintain that Cech is a huge upgrade to the players we have/could get and will (if he signs) play at his stellar level for at least 2-3 years. Blah blah about GKs going into their late 30s and early 40s.

And signing a Chelsea legend, no less, after Fabregas is a great lift for the club.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:56 pm

Can't we just be happy to be probably signing a very good keeper in Cech and not try and find some flaw or weave some sort of conspiracy theory just to curtail our own hype/excitement?

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:03 pm

Gallas was behind a lot of trouble in the dressing room - let's also not forget that if we are talking about him. But that's beside the point.

I am not changing my stance on this one.

Cech is definitely a top class player and an upgrade - even if he gives 3 years and not 5. It's money well spent. But I will not go so far as to call this a major coup for us as signing one of the best players from the starting 11 of a domestic title rival. If it happens, it's us signing a player better than what we have because we're a top club in London - circumstances which are proving favorable for us. That is all. Not some sign of how great and attractive we have become. Some may even go so far as to suggest that we're continuing a trend of signing 'rejects not wanted at their own club'. (I truly hate that view, just so that nobody here assumes that I think Özil or Alexis are rejects fyi!) Laughing

Like I said - Chelsea didn't want to sell us someone warming their bench and having shattered knees made of dust, in fear of us winning the title. This is the same Chelsea. The one which has myriads of youth players on loan - you know the ones they hoarded so that nobody else got them? They're the ones which didn't care about selling Mata because that was a United managed by Moyes and not even a top 4 candidate. They are, and have always been, the Sith to our Jedi.

Let's not kid ourselves about them being altruistic and granting a player his desire, even if that is truly the case. I don't believe that there is room for humanity where there is money involved, especially with a scum club like them Chelskis.

#EndRant

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:06 pm

GoonerJay29 wrote:Can't we just be happy to be probably signing a very good keeper in Cech and not try and find some flaw or weave some sort of conspiracy theory just to curtail our own hype/excitement?

Like you said, let's wait till it is announced. Could just be a load of media cock & bull and the likes of Gazidis playing along.

If it does happen, it is a very good signing and I will be very happy for it. (See my post regarding how we've missed this since Dave Seaman).

However, I'll have you know that my distrust of Chelsea doesn't equate to concocting conspiracy theories. :coffee:

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:15 pm

srigooner wrote:Gallas was behind a lot of trouble in the dressing room - let's also not forget that if we are talking about him. But that's beside the point.

I am not changing my stance on this one.

Cech is definitely a top class player and an upgrade - even if he gives 3 years and not 5. It's money well spent. But I will not go so far as to call this a major coup for us as signing one of the best players from the starting 11 of a domestic title rival. If it happens, it's us signing a player better than what we have because we're a top club in London - circumstances which are proving favorable for us. That is all. Not some sign of how great and attractive we have become.

Put the conspiracy aside for a moment, do you think we could have pulled this off 3-4 years ago?

Mourinho could sneeze and people would hush and stare in awe of the mind games they thought he was engaging in.

This is a sign of progress and it is a great signing for the club. Simple as.

Last edited by MJ on Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:15 pm

MJ wrote:But I wouldn't totally discount the possibility that Abramovich really does want to honor what Cech has done for the club. Maybe he feels that if he's only good enough for the Chelsea bench then Mourinho should be able to win the title even if he's sold him to us, you know? If they have a GK who is so good that he can bench one of the best in the world then they should be confident enough with their overall team and resources to let this one happen. Just another angle to consier.

I think that is clutching at straws. You're giving him a lot more credit than he deserves. :coffee:

You have a big heart, habibi, and I can admire you for it. However, the realist in me doesn't agree with this as a possibility.

MJ wrote:
And I still maintain that Cech is a huge upgrade to the players we have/could get and will (if he signs) play at his stellar level for at least 2-3 years. Blah blah about GKs going into their late 30s and early 40s.

And signing a Chelsea legend, no less, after Fabregas is a great lift for the club.

I agree on the part that it'd be a kickass signing if Cech delivers on a weekly basis like he has been doing for years now.

Not sure if Chelsea already considers him one of their legends, a la Terry, but that is beside the point. They've already been treated to the loyalties of Fat Frank Proud Would definitely feel good to lift the treble with Cech this season Proud

Don't see why Fabregas makes any difference in any of this. He joined Chelsea after we rejected the chance to sign him. And tbh, I maintain that we're better off without him. Never understood why gooners felt bad about him joining Chelsea, although I agree on feeling disgusted to see him celebrate that title. Then again, after seeing the likes of Cole, Persie, Nasri, etc, I cba.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:16 pm

Can't wait for Arsenal Fan TV next year...
https://twitter.com/BergkampSpin/status/613024743994859524/photo/1
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:18 pm

srigooner wrote:
MJ wrote:But I wouldn't totally discount the possibility that Abramovich really does want to honor what Cech has done for the club. Maybe he feels that if he's only good enough for the Chelsea bench then Mourinho should be able to win the title even if he's sold him to us, you know? If they have a GK who is so good that he can bench one of the best in the world then they should be confident enough with their overall team and resources to let this one happen. Just another angle to consier.

I think that is clutching at straws. You're giving him a lot more credit than he deserves. :coffee:

You have a big heart, habibi, and I can admire you for it. However, the realist in me doesn't agree with this as a possibility.

MJ wrote:

I agree on the part that it'd be a kickass signing if Cech delivers on a weekly basis like he has been doing for years now.

Not sure if Chelsea already considers him one of their legends, a la Terry, but that is beside the point. They've already been treated to the loyalties of Fat Frank Proud Would definitely feel good to lift the treble with Cech this season Proud

Don't see why Fabregas makes any difference in any of this. He joined Chelsea after we rejected the chance to sign him. And tbh, I maintain that we're better off without him. Never understood why gooners felt bad about him joining Chelsea, although I agree on feeling disgusted to see him celebrate that title. Then again, after seeing the likes of Cole, Persie, Nasri, etc, I cba.

I wouldn't waste my beautiful heart on giving Roman Abramovich the benefit of the doubt lol but I also wouldn't tirelessly credit Mourinho and Chelsea with some evil scheme to get us to waste money on a 'reject' or whatever through some incredibly elaborate and BS reverse psychology through the media.

But I do think Petr Cech is more than good enough to start for any team in the world. Courtois gets in ahead of him because of his age, not quality.

And, yes, Cech is definitely a club legend for them/us.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:22 pm

MJ wrote:

Put the conspiracy aside for a moment, do you think we could have pulled this off 3-4 years ago?

Mourinho could sneeze and people would hush and stare in awe of the mind games they thought he was engaging in.

This is a sign of progress and it is a great signing for the club. Simple as.

Winning 2 cups and a community shield is progress. Signing the likes of Özil at 50m€ by nuking our austerity or Alexis by beating so many other interested parties is progress. Beating Mourinho's Chelsea to win the Community Shield in a couple of months would be more progress.

Signing Cech, who seems to want to stay in London and indubitably has the quality to play for a top 10 side but is surplus to requirements at his current club - nah, that's not progress.

Anyway. You guys want a parade, go for it. I don't want to rain on that one. I just don't see why it is such a big deal in terms of what it means off the pitch. What it means on the pitch is that we would be upgrading what has been a problem position for over a decade and that is what I am happy about. How it implies we are pulling off a coup and shitting all over Mou and bla bla - I think that's where you guys are going overboard. :coffee:

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:27 pm

MJ wrote:I wouldn't waste my beautiful heart on giving Roman Abramovich the benefit of the doubt lol but I also wouldn't tirelessly credit Mourinho and Chelsea with some evil scheme to get us to waste money on a 'reject' or whatever through some incredibly elaborate and BS reverse psychology through the media.

But I do think Petr Cech is more than good enough to start for any team in the world. Courtois gets in ahead of him because of his age, not quality.

And, yes, Cech is definitely a club legend for them/us.

To clarify, MJ, my point is not to credit the evil genius of Mou/Chavs. Rather, its just that I don't see why any of this should matter so much in terms of determining our progress or status or whatever. Its hardly a worthy indicator.

I do agree, again, that Cech would be an incredible signing on the pitch IF he does perform and add to the squad on the pitch and off it while he's here. If he does enough of that and for long enough, we can talk about whether he's a legend for us.

(It's Chavs prerogative if they consider him one of their legends, would not comment on it. Then again, for a small club with no history... Wink )

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:29 pm

srigooner wrote:
Winning 2 cups and a community shield is progress. Signing the likes of Özil at 50m€ by nuking our austerity or Alexis by beating so many other interested parties is progress. Beating Mourinho's Chelsea to win the Community Shield in a couple of months would be more progress.

Signing Cech, who seems to want to stay in London and indubitably has the quality to play for a top 10 side but is surplus to requirements at his current club - nah, that's not progress.

Anyway. You guys want a parade, go for it. I don't want to rain on that one. I just don't see why it is such a big deal in terms of what it means off the pitch. What it means on the pitch is that we would be upgrading what has been a problem position for over a decade and that is what I am happy about. How it implies we are pulling off a coup and shitting all over Mou and bla bla - I think that's where you guys are going overboard. :coffee:

Completely underselling it, going off the deep end, habibi. Shocked

Hope you meant Petr Cech is good enough for a top 10 side in the world and not in England otherwise we have completely different opinions on his quality Laughing

Again, he's only surplus to requirements because of Courtois' age marking him as their number one for a long time to come, not that Cech has declined to the point that he needs to be ousted.

Going by what has been reported for months, that he has his heart set on keeping his family in London, it's a great sign for the club that a world class player will be playing at the Emirates and that he's coming from our most bitter rivals no less.

And what happens on the pitch has a direct effect on morale off the pitch. Signing a proven winner and top quality player like Cech will lift the entire squad and improve the side to no end. The fact that it's happening off of the back of three summers of having signed Cazorla, Ozil, Alexis and winning a couple FA Cups is momentum. No one is saying it's a revolution or changing the club but it could be a great moment if it happens. Don't get carried away in your realism because it's bordering on unwarranted cynicism.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:34 pm

It's simple for me, world class player and that's all I want. I dont care if he's playing street football in Peru and 12 years number 1 goalie of PL top side. It shown that Wengers is serious about improve the squad. I said at the begining, Wengers sign WC player only when they're cold, he is opportunistic. This has Ozil/ Sanchez written all over it and i'm ok with it and i will celebrate just the same.
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:36 pm

Obviously I meant top 10 globally in the past decade or so. Don't worry, I am always one to give credit where it is due. Smile

Nor did I say he has declined. If there were 2-3 other big clubs in London (apart from us and Chavs) playing in CL and challenging for the title, and Cech chose us over these others, that would merit such praise of how attractive we have become. As things stand, we are one of the only two top clubs in the city where he is settled. He's not needed at the current club (for reasons you have mentioned) and that leaves us as the only other obvious choice. He's obviously too good to be playing for Spuds or West Ham or something. This part is what I mean by circumstance.

My point is precisely that it is not a revolution or such a significant moment in our long history as a top club in London. If you agree on that, then we're just saying the same thing.

My impression, based on all the posts from the last 10 days which I caught up with earlier today, was that people here are going overboard with what this means. And that notion is what I am crusading to temper.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:41 pm

Twoism wrote:It's simple for me, world class player and that's all I want. I dont care if he's playing street football in Peru and 12 years number 1 goalie of PL top side. It shown that Wengers is serious about improve the squad. I said at the begining, Wengers sign WC player only when they're cold, he is opportunistic. This has Ozil/ Sanchez written all over it and i'm ok with it and i will celebrate just the same.

Completely agree with this.

Fact is, we stay away from 'hot' players who are (a) flavour of the month, and/or (b) pursued by clubs with much more resources to burn. We are prudent in adding to the squad at the right value and the right position.

And I don't have a problem with that - look how the likes of Santi, Nacho, Özil and Alexis have been contributing!

What I would really appreciate with this transfer is AW rediscovering his ruthlessness, instead of being patient with his current options and waiting on them to hit their peak. It is a stark contrast to the deadwood era. I absolutely love that part of it!

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:43 pm

srigooner wrote:
My impression, based on all the posts from the last 10 days which I caught up with earlier today, was that people here are going overboard with what this means. And that notion is what I am crusading to temper.

Maybe I missed some posts but all I've seen are people talk about it excitedly. It's true that because he wants to stay in London we're really his only choice but I also think it's a great indicator of where we're headed that he (might) join us over PSG when 3-4 years ago he'd be faced with joining a very different Arsenal.

It's another notch in the post after Cazorla, Ozil, Alexis and potentially a fantastic signing. Putting one over Chelsea, if only for the sentimental aspect, also feels really good Smile
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:45 pm

Twoism wrote:It's simple for me, world class player and that's all I want. I dont care if he's playing street football in Peru and 12 years number 1 goalie of PL top side. It shown that Wengers is serious about improve the squad. I said at the begining, Wengers sign WC player only when they're cold, he is opportunistic. This has Ozil/ Sanchez written all over it and i'm ok with it and i will celebrate just the same.

+1 Thumbs up
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next