MJ
Great Leader Sprucenuce
RealGunner
El Gunner
Sri
37 posters

Page 32 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread - Page 32 Empty Re: The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread

Post by S Mon May 23, 2016 7:12 pm

The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread - Page 32 Cil8YnzUkAAlgDS

Last edited by S on Mon May 23, 2016 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread - Page 32 Empty Re: The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread

Post by Jay29 Mon May 23, 2016 7:15 pm

So I shouldn't compare the goals scored of two strikers? Explain that one to me.

I get it, stats aren't everything. Yes, stylistically Morata is a better fit than Giroud. But my whole point is that we've been here before with Welbeck, a player who fits our style better but doesn't improve on Giroud's goalscoring. It doesn't matter if Morata can run faster than Welbeck/Giroud, or is better at dribbling, passing, whatever - the key questions is, as Lex said, can he improve on Giroud's scoring record?

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by S Mon May 23, 2016 7:15 pm

Lex wrote:I really don't care if this guy was made of adamantium and could sing Fly Me To The Moon out of his butthole, is he the prolific, 30 goal a season sensation everyone's been banging on to us about buying? No? Then why are we even discussing this transfer

Highly rated player who's already built a reputation for himself in the CL and one who's waiting to explode probably next season.
Cant believe he's compared to beta's like Welbeck and Giroud.ffs :facepalm:
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Mon May 23, 2016 7:17 pm

We're comparing their goalscoring. I'm not buying a striker and looking at his long pass accuracy, am I
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon May 23, 2016 7:18 pm

Higuain is still ideal

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by S Mon May 23, 2016 7:19 pm

Morata will easily score 20 goals with Ozil and Sanchez supporting him.
If its a big price,you're simply investing in his potential.He's going to be a great fit for Arsenal.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by S Mon May 23, 2016 7:20 pm

RealGunner wrote:Higuain is still ideal

Higuain also has a €94M buyout clause.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Mon May 23, 2016 7:59 pm

How exactly is he clearly much better if he can't score more than 7 goals in 34 or so games while playing for the most dominant team in the league? :facepalm: rofl

Even Giroud has a better record while playing for a worse team and in a harder league.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Mon May 23, 2016 8:05 pm

I would gladly give the asking price for Morata
S wrote:Morata will easily score 20 goals with Ozil and Sanchez supporting him.
If its a big price,you're simply investing in his potential.He's going to be a great fit for Arsenal.

So you saying Morata wouldn't go 15 games with out scoring?  Laughing

I rather pay 50mil for a real donkey than watch Giroud up for Arsenal. cheers

Bring in Morata and Janssen and sell Giroud.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by S Mon May 23, 2016 8:13 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:

How exactly is he clearly much better if he can't score more than 7 goals in 34 or so games while playing for the most dominant team in the league? :facepalm: rofl

Even Giroud has a better record while playing for a worse team and in a harder league.

Except that most dominant team in the league doesnt play free flowing attacking football like Bayern or PSG where there's greater room for stat padding.Coman's stats for example is a joke tbh.

We have rarely scored more than 1-2 goals in this season,only handful of occasions.We havent created as many chances.Juve's defense is the real secret behind their dominance.

The fact that a beta striker like Giroud has scored that many goals further strengthens my point.Morata wouldnt find much of a problem scoring many goals with the amount of chances Ozil and Sanchez create.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Mon May 23, 2016 8:24 pm

Except that we are NOT PSG or Bayern, we don't even play free flowing football since 2013. In fact I'm pretty sure that Arsenal create fewer chances per game than Juventus. Morata wouod feel just as much out of place here because he'll be trying to create for other players who will miss constantly. What we need is a striker who scores goals on his own, for the way Arsenal play-- link-up is irrelevant. Both Giroud and Welbeck combine well with other players but in the end it's not what we need.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Mon May 23, 2016 8:31 pm

Jay29 wrote:Yeah, that's what Welbeck does. Except the scoring in big games part. Besides that there's nothing Morata offers that Welbeck doesn't.

Other than talent and potential. Sure.
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Mon May 23, 2016 8:36 pm

So if he has so much talent and potential why aren't Madrid buying him back to keep him instead of selling him on for profit? Madrid only have Benzema, after all.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by S Mon May 23, 2016 8:39 pm

Jay29 wrote:So if he has so much talent and potential why aren't Madrid buying him back to keep him instead of selling him on for profit? Madrid only have Benzema, after all.

He's not a fancy name.Doesnt have enough hype surrounding him like Lewandowski for example.

His agent has already communicated that it will be difficult for him to remain at Madrid if he isnt a starter so we'd have to take his will into context too.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Mon May 23, 2016 8:42 pm

They sold Higuain to Napoli and we missed out on that. How much Madrid want him shouldn't really be a factor here. We could say the same for Ozil. If he really is the best 10 why did they sell him? etc.

Welbeck is a workhorse winger who isn't even comfortable playing centrally. Morata is a legit 9. There really isn't a fair comparison to be made here as to why he'll end up not contributing anymore than Welbeck if we buy him.
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Peccadillo Tue May 24, 2016 12:42 am

S wrote:
Jay29 wrote:So if he has so much talent and potential why aren't Madrid buying him back to keep him instead of selling him on for profit? Madrid only have Benzema, after all.

He's not a fancy name.Doesnt have enough hype surrounding him like Lewandowski for example.

His agent has already communicated that it will be difficult for him to remain at Madrid if he isnt a starter so we'd have to take his will into context too.

There is no hype around Morata? lolz.

I swear S are you his agent or something? Look - I think most Arsenal fans would be happy enough if we signed Morata for 30m. Hes young, he isn't going to lose too much value if things don't quite work out and he theoretically fits the mould of what we are after (minus the goals ffs) - but accept that he could find form as he gains experience. But most importantly - hes a striker and fans are desperate that we actually sign one.

But you are not going to convince anybody of sound mind that Morata - a striker with a distinctively average goal tally at a dominant club and who plays second fiddle to Mandzukic - represents good value for money at 50m. Far better options out there. He could well become an elite striker and be worth 50m but it is a huge risk and we need the real deal - not a 50m gamble.

The Higuain comparisons are rubbish - Higuain had a very good scoring record at Real actually he was just not as good as Benzy at the time. If Wenger wouldn't cough up 35m for Higuain then I very much doubt he will cough up 50m for bleeding Morata ffs.
Peccadillo
Peccadillo
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Tue May 24, 2016 12:55 am

Bacca is on the market for 30-35m, bid and you can have him
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Tue May 24, 2016 3:19 am

But is Morata a legit nine? I don't watch Juve at all so I'm asking. To me he's a classics second striker, and that's what his goalscoring record indicates. He's fantastic with his link up play, he's got great dribbling ability, he's got pace. I think he's a quality buy for Arsenal, I really do.

That being said, I would be wary if I were Arsenal asking him to play as a nine. He doesn't look like one and he doesn't score like one either. That could change and tbh I think he mightactually be worth a punt, but there is no real reason to suspect that he's going to automatically turn into a 20+ goal a season striker with Arsenal.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Tue May 24, 2016 5:38 am

Inb4 injuries prompt Wenger to plug in forgotten man Joel Campbell up top and he transforms shockingly into a striker beast who scores 40 goals for us in all comps, and then remembers he has had Bayern DNA all along so off he goes in 2017.
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by AnJl Tue May 24, 2016 6:47 am

You all do know that when Adebayor came to Arsenal, his goal scoring record was just as bad (if not worse), right?

Didn't he drastically improve his goal scoring record when he came to Arsenal?

Why can't Morata, who has a lot more experience and talent under his belt, do better than what he can now?

AnJl
AnJl
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by AnJl Tue May 24, 2016 6:53 am

Also, people calling for a goal scoring winger, Joel Campbell is there.

He can actually score 10 - 15 goals in a season if he is actually given a proper chance ahead of scrubs like Walcott.
AnJl
AnJl
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Tue May 24, 2016 8:40 am

AnJl wrote:Also, people calling for a goal scoring winger, Joel Campbell is there.

He can actually score 10 - 15 goals in a season if he is actually given a proper chance ahead of scrubs like Walcott.

And has the past shown that Wenger is intent on giving Campbell a 'proper chance'?
No.
AnJl wrote:You all do know that when Adebayor came to Arsenal, his goal scoring record was just as bad (if not worse), right?

Didn't he drastically improve his goal scoring record when he came to Arsenal?

Why can't Morata, who has a lot more experience and talent under his belt, do better than what he can now?

Tbf Sanogo already is the new Adebayor.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Tue May 24, 2016 10:06 am

RealGunner wrote:So seriously though. Masking my Giroud dislike..

Are we all fine with Morata? if it happens that is.

I would be happy with Morata and what he brings
i like his skill-set and he can be useful in different situations
can form a good partnership with Alexis as both can turn creator/runner on different occasions

Price is hefty but that's how striker market is and i don't care if we have to overpay

He may/may not start producing more regularly with age but with his overall ability he is worth a punt
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Tue May 24, 2016 10:23 am

Nobody's saying Morata can't or won't improve his scoring record. They're saying he's unlikely, given his past totals and whatnot, to come in and score 25+ goals. This isn't people knocking the talent he has - it's just a logical conclusion to reach based on the type of player he is and what he's done previously for Juventus.

Besides, there's a lot of difference between Adebayor coming in for peanuts and being a backup for a couple of years and Morata coming in for a near-record fee and being the main guy from day one. If Adebayor didn't work out he would have been quietly moved on and replaced and nobody would have cared. If Morata doesn't work out it's a much bigger problem.

He could come good, prove all of us wrong and score a crap tonne of goals. But that's only a chance. It's not my money but I don't think the club should throw out a near £40mil fee on the chance of a player fitting what they need.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Tue May 24, 2016 11:30 am

I reckon Arsenal would be better off getting Aubemayang for less than what they would have to pay for Morata. Auba is a proven goalscorer and that is what Arsenal need, somebody to score the goals from the chances Özil creates week in week out. Still Wenger had the chance to buy TWO proven goalscorers like Higuain and Suarez for ansolute peanuts compared to the going rate right now but passed up on the chance to buy either of them because apparently it was top much money. No way will Wenger gamble on a guy like Morata who hasnt broken the 20 goal/season barrier yet, for 50 mill no less. LVG gambled on Martial and he has been better than what we all expected. Sometimes you need to take that leap of faith in order to reep the rewards. Wenger is too pragmatic and the only ones it is hurting are the players and the Club as a whole
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Tue May 24, 2016 11:34 am

Didn't BVB put a €100mil price on Auba? Laughing

I'd be more open to Morata if the deal was structured like the Martial and Dembele deals recently i.e. less money up front and huge bonuses/performance based fees. Not sure if Madrid would be open to that, though.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 32 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next