rwo power
El Gunner
Neutropin
25 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Prime Casillas or Neuer - Page 2 Empty Re: Prime Casillas or Neuer

Post by Casciavit Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:32 pm

Casillas in his prime was an AMAZING shot stopper. Definitely better than Neuer in that regard. However, Neuer has more to his game. He's better at reading the play and is better with the ball at his feet.

Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:36 pm

Neuer better at reading the play ? I've seen him countless of times making rash decisions leading up goals.
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:37 pm

And how many times has he made the right decision? He's better at commanding his box, and his sweeping is on another level.
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:52 pm

i've never been a fan of the "ball at his feet" argument with regards goalies. yes, it helps when a goalie knows how to clear and all, but what i look for most in a goalie isn't how good he is with his feet. it's like lauding the dribbling of a defensive midfielder, when that's not his primary requirement....its a good add on, nothing more....@ least in my opinion (btw i'm more impressed with neuer's shot stopping skills than him rushing out to dribble a striker or make random clearances)
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Neutropin Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:43 am

rincon wrote:To clarify I'm not dissing Casillas. Great GK in his prime. One of the best I've seen. I just rate Neuer a bit higher.

Buffon
Kahn
Neuer, Casillas
van der Sar, Cech, etc.

something like that

was buffon actually better than both Nuer and Casillas in your opinion? If you were neutral
Neutropin
Neutropin
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:00 am

Germans picking Neuer.
Madrid fans picking Casillas .
Juventus fans picking Buffon ( who was not even mentioned by OP ).

Shocking stuff here.
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester City

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:22 am

Barca fans picking Casillas.

Obviously only unbiased and logical group. hmm
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:31 am

Shouldn't Barca fans pick Manuel Neuer as he fits best the idea of a goalie playing in a team that works with a lot of short passing and possession? With his style he is a top candidate for the Cruyffian idea of total football: "In my teams, the goalie is the first attacker, and the striker the first defender."
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:35 pm

Neutropin wrote:
rincon wrote:To clarify I'm not dissing Casillas. Great GK in his prime. One of the best I've seen. I just rate Neuer a bit higher.

Buffon
Kahn
Neuer, Casillas
van der Sar, Cech, etc.

something like that

was buffon actually better than both Nuer and Casillas in your opinion? If you were neutral

I can't really be neutral since he is my favorite player of all time. For me I've seen no equal (I wasn't alive for Yashin and his peeps). The thing that wins it for me is how he has adapted his game over the years and beasted for 20 years. He was amazing at Parma and starting from '96. Made the '98 world cup team. Got nominated for the ballon d'or back then. Was first choice for Italy already at 2000. And now, 20 years later he breaks the record for the longest clean sheet in Serie A.

He was really athletic for a GK with fast reflexes when younger. Always good in the air. He organizes and understands the defense perfectly. His positioning is always good. Even at old age his game is so complete that I'd still call him the best GK in the world this season. That can be argued of course, but who has been better? Neuer has had some howlers.

---

On the topic. Casillas peak I think was somewhere around 06-10 like someone said. His peak was great but he relied too much on reflexes. As a shot-stopper he was amazing but he seemed a little shaky in the air and his positioning wasn't always the best. The moment he got older and couldn't relly on his quickness he declined so much. Neuer is a little too bold for me yet he is still well rounded and great at many things.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucifer Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:00 pm

farfan wrote:Germans picking Neuer.
Madrid fans picking Casillas .
Juventus fans picking Buffon ( who was not even mentioned by OP ).

Shocking stuff here.

Such objectivity I tell you this forum has. Reminds me of LA Liga refs Proud

Harmonica wrote:Barca fans picking Casillas.

Obviously only unbiased and logical group. hmm

HEAR HEAR

rwo power wrote:Shouldn't Barca fans pick Manuel Neuer as he fits best the idea of a goalie playing in a team that works with a lot of short passing and possession? With his style he is a top candidate for the Cruyffian idea of total football: "In my teams, the goalie is the first attacker, and the striker the first defender."

Gud point RWO, but you see for us Barca fans, due to the fact that we are most modest group on internet, modesty superceded everything and quite frankly Neuer though very gud is a one Cocky bastard. Which obviously is huge deal breaker.

Lucifer
The Last Cat Hater.

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:31 pm

Lucifer wrote:Gud point RWO, but you see for us Barca fans, due to the fact that we are most modest group on internet, modesty superceded everything and quite frankly Neuer though very gud is a one Cocky bastard. Which obviously is huge deal breaker.
Then you obviously should go for Yann Sommer instead, who is not only a modern goalie with great ball playing skills, but also humble, modest and - to top it all - incredibly handsome. Proud
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Claudio84 Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:32 pm

Prime Casillas for me

Claudio84
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:24 pm

Wait, if Buffon is an option, I don't choose Neuer. Thought this was vs Casillas.
If Buffon is an option, I choose Kahn!
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:58 pm

Why choose anyway? I'd take Gigi Buffon, Manu Neuer, Oli Kahn and for good measure Yann Sommer as well cheers
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:42 pm

you dirty, dirty, dirty girl Thumbs up
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:38 pm

Rob Green for me tbh.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Joel_M Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:04 pm

Neuer.

That said, Casillas was underrated for more than half of his career by both Real fans and enemies. I think the turning point was WC2010.

Joel_M
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:44 pm

i don't think iker was ever underrated. after the 02 world cup, he pretty much cemented his place with his country and club, it was never up for debate. i think with his decline, people have now begun to downplay the reflexes he had in his younger days as "just reflexes". i'm sorry you can't downplay a goalie's reflexes; it's the core part of his job, not what he can or can't do with his feet. freekicks were always a problem
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:54 pm

Things don't come down to just relexes vs playing with your feet. A goalie should always play it safe in my view, i don't care for whatever Pep has his GKs doing.

Probably the main part of Gks job is positioning and reading the situation. More often than not "superman" saves can be avoided by being in the right place and closing down space. Casillas had the reflexes and quickness of the very best, but the rest was lacking compared to more complete keepers.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:05 pm

whilst you have a point, you can hardly play it safe with the defense that iker had to contend with in his prime. hierro (who could sometimes lose his mind) imo was the most reliable defender he had (manolo sanchis was pretty much done)...no matter how well you think you're organizing, with some of the lads iker has had to cope with, its either superman saves or concede goals....i'd say he handled himself quite well ..just to set the record straight, me preferring prime iker to neuer does NOT automatically mean i think prime iker is the greatest goalie of all time, that would be incredible myopic
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:15 pm

titosantill wrote:i've never been a fan of the "ball at his feet" argument with regards goalies. yes, it helps when a goalie knows how to clear and all, but what i look for most in a goalie isn't how good he is with his feet. it's like lauding the dribbling of a defensive midfielder, when that's not his primary requirement....its a good add on, nothing more....@ least in my opinion (btw i'm more impressed with neuer's shot stopping skills than him rushing out to dribble a striker or make random clearances)

Goalies are expected to do more now. Especially with how intense teams press nowadays. Of course, it isn't the most important factor, but it is an advantage.

Either way, let's us take out passing from the equation. Neuer still has another dimension to his game that Casillas never had. I don't know how that is even arguable. Casillas relied a lot on his physical qualities and the moment they started declining he couldn't adjust. I can't see Neuer rapidly declining the way Casillas did. He's smarter and simply has more to his game than Casillas ever did.
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:17 pm

titosantill wrote:whilst you have a point, you can hardly play it safe with the defense that iker had to contend with in his prime. hierro (who could sometimes lose his mind) imo was the most reliable defender he had (manolo sanchis was pretty much done)...no matter how well you think you're organizing, with some of the lads iker has had to cope with, its either superman saves or concede goals....i'd say he handled himself quite well ..just to set the record straight, me preferring prime iker to neuer does NOT automatically mean i think prime iker is the greatest goalie of all time, that would be incredible myopic

He handled himself more than well, he was great. I'm just pointing out what I see in other keepers over him. His sharp decline shows it.

Neuer is too bold. His mistakes come from being overconfident when leaving his line for the most part. Otherwise the rest of his game is absolutely top notch.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:07 pm

Let's put it another way: if tomorrow I play a CL final I would rather have prime iker in goal than neuer
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:39 pm

Neuer is better with the ball but he's not as good in terms of reflex saves.  Casillas is incredible in terms of his reflexes and isn't good with the ball.

Both are great yet incomplete imo.

The best ever?  Yashin, Kahn and Zoff were my favorites, although i only saw tape of Yashin.  Buffon is on par with Casillas and Neuer in the next category.... along with Sep Maier, Van Der Sar, etc.

Just a lot of great keepers over history.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:14 pm

peter schmeichel more than deserves a mention too. whilst names like pagluica, taffarel, toldo, canizares may not be stellar household names nor in a top 5 list, i thought they were pretty good goalies...just maybe a shorter prime or not fancy enough
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Kebab Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:35 pm

Casillas was amazing but he was short to be a perfect keeper. So i take Neuer
Kebab
Kebab
Cant go to the last pages in mobile version. There is no page numbers

Back to top Go down