Myesyats
RealGunner
Firenze
28 posters

Page 20 of 24 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Go down

The TV Series Thread - Part 5 - Page 20 Empty Re: The TV Series Thread - Part 5

Post by El Gunner Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:12 pm

okay S4E4 of Succession felt like prime Succession, a step in the right direction to finish off this season with a blast.

El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:20 pm

I cant believe Succession is rated so highly, tried the first few episodes couple years ago and thought it was boring af
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:46 pm

El Gunner wrote:okay S4E4 of Succession felt like prime Succession, a step in the right direction to finish off this season with a blast.

Spoiler:

Myesyats wrote:I cant believe Succession is rated so highly, tried the first few episodes couple years ago and thought it was boring af

It's definitely not for everyone, the show has a clear distaste for rich people and doesn't shy away from mocking them repeatedly and pointing at the fact that how lonely and empty their lives are, it regularly takes shots at how corrupt the whole system is, so if you're a fan of capitalism and the current system it makes sense why you wouldn't like it.

I mainly watch it because of the family drama and the intriguing power play between characters but the show has clear leftist undertones which i'm a big fan of.
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:16 pm

i love it mostly for the absurdity - like, look at these aristocrats thinking they have better lives than us just because they dress in suits and ties, and look down on us from their Manhattan penthouse. But in actual fact they seem to live more stressful, "soulless" lives than us.

i don't think it's necessarily a left-leaning show because Shiv gets made fun of a lot too. It's more like look at how fucked the world is because these are the bozos that run our world.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:18 pm

El Gunner wrote:i love it mostly for the absurdity - like, look at these aristocrats thinking they have better lives than us just because they dress in suits and ties, and look down on us from their Manhattan penthouse. But in actual fact they seem to live more stressful, "soulless" lives than us.

i don't think it's necessarily a left-leaning show because Shiv gets made fun of a lot too. It's more like look at how fucked the world is because these are the bozos that run our world.

Shiv is not a leftist, she's more of a Hillary neolib type, that's probably why the director pokes fun at her a lot and makes her look the most evil of the bunch because these centrist wishy washy people are like the mortal enemy of the left in real world politics.

Last edited by Pedram on Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:27 pm; edited 3 times in total
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:21 pm

okay perhaps not, but i still think the rest of my analysis stands
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:47 pm

Spoiler:
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:51 pm

Pedram wrote:It's definitely not for everyone, the show has a clear distaste for rich people and doesn't shy away from mocking them repeatedly and pointing at the fact that how lonely and empty their lives are, it regularly takes shots at how corrupt the whole system is, so if you're a fan of capitalism and the current system it makes sense why you wouldn't like it.

I mainly watch it because of the family drama and the intriguing power play between characters but the show has clear leftist undertones which i'm a big fan of.

The reasons for me not liking it are not political in nature, I dont think I've gotten that far into the show anyway. I just didnt connect with the characters and the narrative seemed tedious to stomach. I know that some shows need a bit of time to pop off but if I'm not hooked after 3-4 episodes then I generally won't commit

Definitely a critcism of capitalism and the hollow lives power-hungry workaholics and such live is not a deal-breaker, unsure whether it was a personal comment but I'm not a big fan of capitalism especially the American type. It's a good system but needs lots of regulations and tweaks. I support UBI and stuff, especially with the inevitable AI takeover and automation lol

I mean why would it even be a deal-breaker, I'm not a fan murder but I love serial killer shows lmao
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:12 pm

Watched two episodes of Last of Us so far.

I loved the first one. No I did not mind that Sarah was not white but I did not get why she was portrayed considerably older and more mature. I did enjoy the slow build up to the pandemic compared to the opening of the game that took place within an hour basically. The actress behind Sarah did a very commendable job as Joel's daughter though I feel while the accuracy behind the entire opening was perfect it did not hit me like the game, but that's a point ill get to soon.

I love Pascal's portrayal as Joel for they nailed his look but his voice is very far off from Baker's which should sound obvious but he sounds more like the Mandalorian than Joel himself with his heavy gruff Texan accent.

Ellie I am sold on as Ramsey could not look less like Ellie but does her so well. Glad she was picked for the role as it is.

Its odd for Pascal resembles Joel more than Ramsey does to Ellie but Ramsey is more Ellie than Joel is Joel.

My explanation behind that is we'd never be satisfied given the two characters from the game you forget they are pixels and polygons rather than real life actors portraying the characters themselves, so expectations will be in limbo.

I dont know why the second half of the premier episode was dragged out so long and did not have much impact as a whole. Second episode I loved once again due to the sheer accuracy of the set pieces and adding another layer onto how the Cordyceps works including that scene where Tess is approached by the parasite to her mouth. The interaction between Joel and Ellie each time was gold but it was so far and few and I dont know why Tess had a far more prominent role than even Joel did in shot and dialogue. Clickers turned out to be as accurate as you can do though and that won me over.

These are just rambles but the scenes simply are not impacted me as I thought they would but an explanation behind it can exist. If you're playing a video game which is far more extensive than the series itself you're more involved in the outcome, its more intense and its within your hands to play it out. Within the series those do not exist and we must not forget Ive seen it all happen as it is so know what would happen to Tess, how Joel and Ellie will develop so its more observing what the creators did to replicate it than the suspense itself.

Objectively I cannot really criticise it but I cannot help but feel I'd be into it far far more if I actually did not end up playing the game itself.

Third one is tomorrow and cannot wait to see how the controversial one plays out as well.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:15 pm

Myesyats wrote:
Pedram wrote:It's definitely not for everyone, the show has a clear distaste for rich people and doesn't shy away from mocking them repeatedly and pointing at the fact that how lonely and empty their lives are, it regularly takes shots at how corrupt the whole system is, so if you're a fan of capitalism and the current system it makes sense why you wouldn't like it.

The reasons for me not liking it are not political in nature, I dont think I've gotten that far into the show anyway. I just didnt connect with the characters and the narrative seemed tedious to stomach. I know that some shows need a bit of time to pop off but if I'm not hooked after 3-4 episodes then I generally won't commit

Definitely a critcism of capitalism and the hollow lives power-hungry workaholics and such live is not a deal-breaker, unsure whether it was a personal comment but I'm not a big fan of capitalism  especially the American type. It's a good system but needs lots of regulations and tweaks. I support UBI and stuff, especially with the inevitable AI takeover and automation lol

I mean why would it even be a deal-breaker, I'm not a fan murder but I love serial killer shows lmao

No it wasn't a cheap shot at all but i believe you need some degree of hatred for the system or at least agree with the director's viewpoint (Adam McKay is very progressive. The Big Short, Vice, Don't Look Up) to enjoy this show, otherwise who wants to watch a bunch of unlikable cunts constantly scheming against each other every week. Laughing  

Because to be fair sometimes this show can be quite tiring if you only focus on the power relations, characters barely showing any vulnerabilities and everyone being at each others throat, it's honestly feels like a more toxic version of Game of Thrones sometimes.
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:27 am

I absolutely loved Succession for the first 3 seasons but just not feeling the 4th, despite everyone raving about it.

Kendall is suddenly a killer? Laughing Been going around people's back and backstabbing for 3 seasons and now this is somehow a surprise, gtfo. He's done way worse.

He's also literally a killer already ffs
Vibe
Vibe
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:35 pm

Got free apple TV for 6 months.

What are the must watch shows?

Severence?
Black bird?
Old horses?
Ted lasso?
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:37 pm

Severance is a must watch, Ted Lasso is too corny for my taste, don't know about the other two.
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:58 pm

Severance best original of 2022
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:09 pm

Severance must watch, Black Bird is a great 'true' limited series, fucking loved that
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:44 pm

I'm going to echo the same same sentiments as above. Severance and Black Bird are both amazing.

Ted Lasso is mid, probably one of the most overrated shows within the American demographic in the 20s. If you actually follow football, it's a painful watch. But even if you didn't it's a very average show. Had to stop after season 1 after forcing myself through it like a chore.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:55 am

Ted lasso had the great fortune to come out during peak covid. It offered a reassuring, heartwarming worldview when the world was shit. And it became a phenomenon. But in isolation its not all that.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:56 pm

final Poker Face rating and review: https://cavytv.blogspot.com/2023/04/poker-face-2023-season-1.html
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:45 am

Black bird was fantastic. Thanks for the rec
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:28 am

Loving Winning Time so far.

The Showtime Lakers from the 80's basically with Magic, Kareem, Pat Riley...Definitely worth watching.

I don't know if Jerry West was really like that but the way they've portrayed him Laughing
Vibe
Vibe
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:35 pm

RealGunner wrote:Got free apple TV for 6 months.

What are the must watch shows?

Severence?
Black bird?
Old horses?
Ted lasso?

Severance and Black Bird for sure. Not sure if you'd like Ted Lasso. It's watchable to me, but it's not something I've gone out of my way to watch.

Could try Foundation as well. It's pretty uneven on a whole, but Lee Pace is excellent in it.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue May 02, 2023 2:24 pm

Began 3 hours ahead of the deadline last night.

The big 4 Late Night shows are all going dark tonight so those networks will probably air re-runs.

The working conditions appear to be much worse than what led up to the 2007-2008 one.

I'm 100% behind the writers here. None of the shows we watch are possible without them.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Sat May 06, 2023 10:13 am

Anyone watching Killjoys? I've seen the first season a couple years ago and liked it but forgot about the show, it's now 5 seasons in and every season is 100% on rotten tomatoes and it's getting rave reviews although it doesnt get many votes overall, not a popular show I guess

gotta get back into it
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by elitedam Sat May 06, 2023 1:56 pm

I tried Killjoys when it first came out and I couldn't get into it.

I watched the first two episodes of Silo and it looks promising.
elitedam
elitedam
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sun May 07, 2023 3:43 am

First season of Killjoys was fine. Not great, but good enough to have on in the background.

The other seasons were very forgettable.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Sun May 07, 2023 8:24 pm

first two eps of SILO were indeed promising, I hear good things about the books and the cast looks fantastic
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 24 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next