Greatest World Cup game of all time? Even the English think it was Italy-Brazil 82

+16
white_star
Arquitecto
rsinatra
S
7amood11
VivaStPauli
M99
honduran09
Albiceleste
PedroBR
BarrileteCosmico
RealGunner
The Madrid One
Swanhends
Ganso
wigglesworth
20 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Greatest World Cup game of all time?  Even the English think it was Italy-Brazil 82 - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest World Cup game of all time? Even the English think it was Italy-Brazil 82

Post by honduran09 Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:28 am

well im not dogging on anything to me a win is a win considering my country has only made it to the actual world cup twice I really cant put my two cents in over if it was valid or not, but I was just throwing in my two cents in for what it is worth lol

honduran09
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Greatest World Cup game of all time?  Even the English think it was Italy-Brazil 82 - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest World Cup game of all time? Even the English think it was Italy-Brazil 82

Post by Guest Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:18 am

France-Germany semis in 82 or France-Brazil in 86.

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:50 am

Usually most people pick either 1970 Italy 4-3 Germany or 1982 Italy 3-2 Brazil as the greatest World Cup game of all time. For me it's 1982 Italy 3-2 Brazil. In "The Game Of The Century" things really picked up on half time. For 90 minutes things were just like any normal football match. Italy were playing old school cantenaccio, holding out to a 1-0 win but as usual the Germans pegged back at the end (and the irony, goal was scored by Schellinger who played for AC Milan for I think 9 years) Then things just went effing insane at extra time. 1982 was just drama from start to finish.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:52 am

wigglesworth wrote:Hey Brazilian fans, you have only won 1 World Cup more than Italy and you won it on penalty kicks, don't flatter yourselves.

Italy also won at 2006 by penalties. Your point?
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:57 am

Wiggles is gonna love me for this, but still:
Italy 4 - 3 Germany, 1970

Incredible match, just legendary.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by 7amood11 Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:01 pm

Ganso wrote:black power ftw
Greatest World Cup game of all time?  Even the English think it was Italy-Brazil 82 - Page 2 Article-1281298-09A7F0E2000005DC-663_634x373

You can see Gentile in the background of that picture Heart

I'm undecided between Italy-Germany and Italy-Brazil. Both were epic matches.
7amood11
7amood11
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by S Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:12 pm

italy-germany 2006 is the best world cup match i've witnessed..
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:13 pm

VivaStPauli wrote:Wiggles is gonna love me for this, but still:
Italy 4 - 3 Germany, 1970

Incredible match, just legendary.

I agree, incredible match just insane but the drama really picked up on extra time.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by rsinatra Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:41 am

lol what a joke, have they not watched brazil 4 x1 italy , the 1970 WC final with the most beautiful goal? it was pretty awesome.

the 1982 match was pretty good though , a shame we lost, we were the best team, no doubts, but rossi was inspired and the italians nailed it.. a fair game!!
rsinatra
rsinatra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sunderland

Back to top Go down

Post by rsinatra Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:43 am

brazil 3 x 2 holland at the 1994 WC was amazing too, the best match in that tournament..

brazil 1 x 1 holland at the 1998 WC was just as incredible, with brazil nailing it on the penalty shoot-out..
rsinatra
rsinatra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:25 pm

rsinatra wrote:lol what a joke, have they not watched brazil 4 x1 italy , the 1970 WC final with the most beautiful goal? it was pretty awesome.

the 1982 match was pretty good though , a shame we lost, we were the best team, no doubts, but rossi was inspired and the italians nailed it.. a fair game!!

That was one sided, 82 match was just pure drama from start to end.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:28 am

Wiggles = God !!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by wigglesworth Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:46 am

rsinatra wrote:lol what a joke, have they not watched brazil 4 x1 italy , the 1970 WC final with the most beautiful goal? it was pretty awesome.

In the 1970 game, everyone knew that after the game against Germany, Italy (or Germany had they won) would lose. The starters were dead tired after playing essentially two games in one day. It was not at all a memorable game.
wigglesworth
wigglesworth
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:48 am

sciacca wrote:Wiggles = God !!!!

Gotta agree here.

Despite him supporting a garbage team, Wiggles truly is a gem.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:52 am

Arquitecto wrote:
sciacca wrote:Wiggles = God !!!!

Gotta agree here.

Despite him supporting a garbage team, Wiggles truly is a gem.

I always agree with Wiggles, his knowledge on Italian football and it's history is fantastic, his logic, his personaility. He has it all! He is always right. Wiggles you are god!

Sei un mito Wiggles!!!!!!! Grande !!!

Back to top Go down

Post by white_star Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:56 pm

Since I wasn't around in the early 80s or 70s (born 86)I'm gonna say 98 final as the best I witnessed!!
So lots of people are old on here or never saw those games outside of YouTube lol I'm not hating just confused.
white_star
white_star
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Shakhtar Donetsk

Back to top Go down

Post by rsinatra Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:42 pm

wigglesworth wrote:

In the 1970 game, everyone knew that after the game against Germany, Italy (or Germany had they won) would lose. The starters were dead tired after playing essentially two games in one day. It was not at all a memorable game.

Of course, why else would Italy have lost to Brazil? Oh, yes, we had Pelé, Rivelino, Jairzinho, Tostão, etc, etc. Get over it, it wasn't a beautiful match for you, because you lost it. You are biased, it's that simple.

Last edited by rsinatra on Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
rsinatra
rsinatra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by rsinatra Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:44 pm

milanista99 wrote:

Yeah, so it must have sucked to be an Italian at that moment. For Brazilians, it was pure excitement to see it happening. I only watched it many years later, thank to the internet, but I still think it was great.

And yes, the 82 match was more disputed, but you all like it because you all love Italy, the team that won.
rsinatra
rsinatra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:52 pm

Italy-Germany 1970, most epic game.
/ thread end

:lol!:
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by wigglesworth Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:58 pm

rsinatra wrote:
milanista99 wrote:

Yeah, so it must have sucked to be an Italian at that moment. For Brazilians, it was pure excitement to see it happening. I only watched it many years later, thank to the internet, but I still think it was great.

And yes, the 82 match was more disputed, but you all like it because you all love Italy, the team that won.

No, most people are neutrals and the writer of the article and the listing is English. It didn't suck to be Italian, Italians knew that their team had been involved in the greatest game ever played up to that date and that the team would be too tired to play against Brazil. Everyone knew it, it was no surprise.

But this is what is written at the Estadio Azteca about the 1970 World Cup, nothing about Brazil, and no one remembers the Brazil-Italy game except some idiot Brazilians that think it is a great feat to beat a team that was totally exhausted after having played the 'Game of the Century".

"El Estadio Azteca rinde homenaje a las selecciones de: Italia (4) y Alemania (3) protagonistas en el Mundial de 1970, del "Partido del Siglo" 17 de junio de 1970. English: The Azteca Stadium pays homage to the National Teams of Italy (4) and Germany (3), who starred in the 1970 FIFA World Cup, the "Game of the Century". June 17th 1970."
wigglesworth
wigglesworth
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:24 pm

rsinatra wrote:
milanista99 wrote:

Dude, I'm Brazilian.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by awalezelin Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:48 pm

no doubt

the most entertaining, fantastico, brilliant, masterpiece, grand, elegance, wonderful, extravaganza match in the world cup

is..........................

england 0 algeria 0
awalezelin
awalezelin
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:55 pm

milanista99 wrote:
rsinatra wrote:
milanista99 wrote:

Dude, I'm Brazilian.
you said you were from Bangladesh...?
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by rsinatra Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:58 pm

wigglesworth wrote:
rsinatra wrote:
milanista99 wrote:

No, most people are neutrals and the writer of the article and the listing is English. It didn't suck to be Italian, Italians knew that their team had been involved in the greatest game ever played up to that date and that the team would be too tired to play against Brazil. Everyone knew it, it was no surprise.

But this is what is written at the Estadio Azteca about the 1970 World Cup, nothing about Brazil, and no one remembers the Brazil-Italy game except some idiot Brazilians that think it is a great feat to beat a team that was totally exhausted after having played the 'Game of the Century".

"El Estadio Azteca rinde homenaje a las selecciones de: Italia (4) y Alemania (3) protagonistas en el Mundial de 1970, del "Partido del Siglo" 17 de junio de 1970. English: The Azteca Stadium pays homage to the National Teams of Italy (4) and Germany (3), who starred in the 1970 FIFA World Cup, the "Game of the Century". June 17th 1970."

Thanks for the compliment. And it's not just us, anyone who remembers the best goal ever on a World Cup final will remember this match.

Oh yeah, I am sure all Italians just smiled and thought "it doesn't matter that we just lost the WC final to Brazil 1-4, we had a great game against Germany anyway, so who cares." Yes, I am sure that's what they were thinking, especially Italians, who apparently don't care a bit about winning a WC, huh? It's all very natural, nobody cared. I am sure you all just shrugged it off and went back home. LOL.

Dont come up with this exhaustion excuse, such a lame thing to do, pure bs. Everyone was playing at that WC, and Brazil had played as many matches as Italy. Who are you to say they were more exhausted? Brazil ran just as many minutes as Italy, and the fact is that if you ever say "Italy were more tired because we played such a game against the Germans" it will simply be your opinion, nothing else, you can't prove for a fact that they were more tired, no one can, it's just excuses, speculation. That Brazil was one of the best national sides ever, if not the best one, so stop whining about it, it's not an embarrassment to have been defeated by them. And just to be clear, I do think the '82 match was more dramatic, I've watched it.

Hell, what am I doing, this is wiggles, he probably even got an excuse for Italy not getting past the group stage last year.

P.S. Of course the stadium itself will say that that was the best WC match ever, who wouldn't want to have credit for that? "To have hosted the best match ever"... anyone would say it. Not that I disagree with it, I haven't watched the match, and the fact that it was good doesn't excuse anyone, you all knew there was a final after it, if you got too tired then you weren't prepared enough. I am not trying to say that Brazil 4-1 Italy was the best WC match ever, just that it was great.

Last edited by rsinatra on Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:08 pm; edited 5 times in total
rsinatra
rsinatra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by rsinatra Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:00 pm

milanista99 wrote:
rsinatra wrote:
milanista99 wrote:

Dude, I'm Brazilian.

If thats true, then this wasn't directed at you, but at all the other Italians on this thread.
rsinatra
rsinatra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:04 pm

So how Brazilians is that? Razz
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next