Arsenal 0 - 2 Liverpool: Which God did we piss off?

+31
Ganso
Ali
urbaNRoots
tsgooner1
RealGunner
MJ
EL Patron
iftikhar
Eman
KMD
hecticfootballer
GenBlizkin
Art Morte
OLpower
BeautifulGame
TalkingReckless
Jamin
InvalidComment
Wilson37
getdarker
El Gunner
lenear1030
BarcaKizz
Amar
Sushi Master
Sri
Lagged
Lex
djoe26
Spider
Jay29
35 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Arsenal 0 - 2 Liverpool: Which God did we piss off? Empty Arsenal 0 - 2 Liverpool: Which God did we piss off?

Post by Jay29 Sat 20 Aug 2011 - 15:43

Our hugely important start to the season continues with a home game against fellow top four contenders, Liverpool. On the back of a decent result against Udinese, one would have expected a somewhat better performance and, despite the result, we actually did perform better. But in the end, it was just a step too far for the Young Guns.

The title of this thread may imply that we only lost because we were unlucky. To a degree, I do genuinely believe that. At the same time, Liverpool were the better side and did deserve the win.

Another good defensive display, all things considering
We conceded twice but actually defended really well. It was a different test for the defence today with the imposing figure of Andy Carroll leading the Liverpool line and he was backed up by players with excellent delivery. The defence really had to be on form to deal with it.

It certainly didn't help when Laurent Koscielny had to be subbed off for back spasms, of all things, but thankfully Thomas Vermaelen was still there and he marshalled the defence and lead by example. Vermaelen was magnificent against Carroll and his agressive and brave brand of defending really improved the defence as a whole.

His performance was all the more impressive when you consider the players around him: 19 year old Carl Jenkinson making his league debut at right back, 18 year old Ignasi Miquel also making his league debut and Bacary Sagna making a very rare appearance at left back. For the majority of this match this young and slapped together defence did very well and only really started faltering towards the end; the own goal definitely effected their morale somewhat.

As an aside, Suarez was actually offside in the build-up to that own goal. Margainally off, but offside nonetheless. The goal itself was just greatly unfortunate and something you can't really blame someone for. It was a freak occurence.

This is where, I feel, we were unlucky. Up to this point, we had done well to keep a clean sheet and the game looked like it would end 0-0.

Overall, despite missing two left backs and two central defenders, we're actually doing okay defensively.

Midfield and attack still not clicking
The real problem came in midfield and attack... once again. Liverpool had more posession than us in this game. That should tell you that this midfield is inadequate. Individually they're good players but as a unit they are lacking. It looked disjointed and out of touch with the three forwards.

In this instance I do feel sorry for van Persie. We know van Persie is a dangerous player but without support from his team-mates he's no where near as effective.

There were flashes today of some good Arsenal play going forward when players actually got forward to support van Persie, but it was still lacking that bit of quality. There was no one in this team that could produce that final pass.

At times, Arsenal did play some good balls into the box from wide areas but van Persie was the only recipient in the box. Again, it shows the lack of support he's receiving from the midfield.

The midfield three just didn't look like they knew what to do. Nasri drove forward on ocassion but tended to drift in and out of the game. Ramsey rarely broke forward and was on the periphary of the game most of the time. Neither them controlled the game or the used the ball that well, hence Liverpool having more of the ball.

Without the ball, we can't be a threat going forward. Given how poor our midfield and forward line were today, the result was either going to be a 0-0 draw or a Liverpool win. Right now, our greatest hinderance is our inability to construct attacks, sustain pressure and create chances.

Injury, suspension and a lack of depth
Of course, our other big hinderance at the moment are injuries and suspension. Koscielny has become the latest player to pick up and injury.

A bigger problem, though, are the suspensions. In two league games, we've had three players suspended and each suspension came from an act of stupidity from the players involved. Gervinho should not have slapped Barton (no matter how tempting it might have been), Song should not have stamped on Barton's leg and Frimpong should not have needlessly squared up against Henderson so early on in the game. Given Frimpong's style of player, you just knew he wasn't going to last the ninety minutes.

Needless to say, this is not helping us one bit. It's exposing our lack of depth and forcing young, inexperienced players into important games.

Of course, the players aren't the only ones to blame. The manager must also bear responsibility for not adding depth to the squad during the summer. Even if the younger players had good games, they shouldn't be there.

Next week is make or break
Wednesday is the second leg of the Champions League qualifier against Udinese. It's going to be a tough game and we're going to have to play really well to get through. At this point, qualification for the Champions League is vital.

The following weekend we got to Old Trafford to play United. I'm dreading that game. I can't see anything other than a defeat given the state of our squad and our form.

And if we lost both games next week, then it will be very difficult to defend Wenger.

Player Ratings
Wojceich Szczesny - 8. Assertive and dominant, the big Pole made some vital saves to keep us in the game.

Thomas Vermaelen - 8. An absolute rock at the back. Oh how we've missed him.

Laurent Koscielny - N/A. Let's just hope that injury isn't bad.

Bacary Sagna - 7. Had a good game despite playing out of position.

Carl Jenkinson - 6.
Had a nervy start but grew into the game. Performed well in the end.

Emmanuel Frimpong - 7.
Was excellent in midfield, displaying good determination and strength. He was actually our best midfielder. Shame he had to ruin it with a sending off. Shows his inexperience.

Aaron Ramsey - 6. Just average. Didn't do anything of real note. The own goal was unfortunate though and not something I can blame him for whatsoever.

Samir Nasri - 7.
When he runs directly at teams, he's a signifcantly more dangerous player. We only saw that in flahses, but we saw it nonetheless.

Andrey Arshavin - 6. Actually did track back but wasn't very effective as an attacking force.

Theo Walcott - 6.
Put in a couple of decent cross but otherwise not very effective.

Robin van Persie - 6.
Lacked service but perhaps should have scored in the second half.

-----------------------------------

Ignasi Miquel - 6. Had a composed and solid showing on his league debut.

Henri Lansbury - N/A.

Nicklas Bendtner - N/A.

Last edited by GoonerJay29 on Sat 20 Aug 2011 - 16:50; edited 1 time in total

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Arsenal 0 - 2 Liverpool: Which God did we piss off? Empty Re: Arsenal 0 - 2 Liverpool: Which God did we piss off?

Post by Spider Sat 20 Aug 2011 - 15:43

We are losing 2 players per game !!!!!

VS Newcastle ( Gervinho + Song )

Vs Udinese ( Djourou + Gibbs )

Vs Liverpool ( Kosc + Frimpong )

Incredible
Spider
Spider
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

http://twitter.com/#!/ma7moud_21

Back to top Go down

Arsenal 0 - 2 Liverpool: Which God did we piss off? Empty Re: Arsenal 0 - 2 Liverpool: Which God did we piss off?

Post by djoe26 Sat 20 Aug 2011 - 15:44

10th spot here we come(with this team)
djoe26
djoe26
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Sat 20 Aug 2011 - 15:46

djoe26 wrote:10th spot here we come(with this team)
You're optimistic, Bolton, Everton and Sunderland are 10th spot teams, they'd batter us right now

We're currently in the bottom half of the table
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Lagged Sat 20 Aug 2011 - 15:46

If wenger don't buy it will get worst.
Lagged
Lagged
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sat 20 Aug 2011 - 15:48

Bottom quarter of the table. F*ck this. See you guys on the Udinese match and Europa league.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by djoe26 Sat 20 Aug 2011 - 15:48

Lagged wrote:If wenger don't buy it will get worst.
haha he will buy but another kid.. anyway cant wait for his excuses after the match
djoe26
djoe26
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Sat 20 Aug 2011 - 15:48

Didn't piss off any Gods.

We are in need of some.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Amar Sat 20 Aug 2011 - 15:50

This is so demoralising and depressing.

Amar
Amar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz Sat 20 Aug 2011 - 15:51

I feel so sorry for you guys right now... Wenger's been such a great manager, but right now its ridiculous what he's doing. A bit of bad luck to start the season, but at the end of the day, no excuses that he hasn't signed 4-5 big signings this season.

Frakking ridiculous...

Should have gone for Enrique, Zapata, Vertonghen, Fernando, maybe even Adam, Hulk, Falcao and Mata.
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by lenear1030 Sat 20 Aug 2011 - 15:52

i hate to be caught up in doom and gloom, but we're in REALLY bad shape right now.

this hurts.
lenear1030
lenear1030
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Sat 20 Aug 2011 - 15:53

BarcaKizz wrote:Should have gone for Enrique, Zapata, Vertonghen, Fernando, maybe even Adam, Hulk, Falcao and Mata.
You're confusing us with Madrid Lite, we're not made of money
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat 20 Aug 2011 - 15:54

I don't know what to say!

I mean, feck, are the Gods conspiring against us? What in Feck's fecking name did we do to deserve this.

Losing a third player to injury in the first 3 games of the season, and Jenkinson hobbeling off at the end. Conceding through a fecking own goal,

I don't know why Wenger did not sub Frimpong earlier, because when i saw him get booked early on in the game I knew, for sure, he'd get sent off, because the guy makes some awful challenges. God dammit learn the fecking kid how to tackle. It's because of the red card that we conceded the 2nd goal, because we were totally stretched.

We defended great today, and I think a draw would've been the fairest result.

And yet again I'll say, we gotta spend,spend,spend!

Last edited by El_Gunner on Sat 20 Aug 2011 - 15:56; edited 1 time in total
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by getdarker Sat 20 Aug 2011 - 15:54

sign so fraking players wenger , ure gettin more hated day by day
getdarker
getdarker
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by djoe26 Sat 20 Aug 2011 - 15:56

Wenger has been manager for decades and i cant understand what is that stopping him not to spend on f***ing players? How hard can it be to not see what we fans can see? He is 60+ and he is more stubborn than my 6 years old niece.

What will he do now? Now thatFrimpong is banned for another match? What now mr wenger?
djoe26
djoe26
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Amar Sat 20 Aug 2011 - 15:58

Wilshere or Rosicky at DM for United.

Just think of that for a moment.
Amar
Amar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat 20 Aug 2011 - 15:58

We're in a deep shit hole, atm!

And, imo, the only way we can get out, and safe our season from being a complete disgrace, is to buy some quality experienced players.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Sat 20 Aug 2011 - 15:59

Sczeny did an amazing job.. But sad to be done by a selfgoal..
Vermaelen is the difference from last season.. If it wasnt him we would have ended conceding more than 5...
Frimpong played well.. But his behaviour is now a problem.. More worse than Song..
Jenkinson was great... Promising...
Miquel nervous...
Ramsey.. Wth are u doing.. I didnt see u playing today..
Arshavin.. All is lost...
RVP... isolated..
Walcott.. thinks he is a great.. Below average..
Nasri... Seeing todays game..Yes he would make a difference..

Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Sat 20 Aug 2011 - 16:02

I too admit.. This season can be the worst..
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by getdarker Sat 20 Aug 2011 - 16:03

watchin QPR play and gettin merked is better than arsenal at the moment
getdarker
getdarker
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by InvalidComment Sat 20 Aug 2011 - 16:04

srigooner wrote:Bottom quarter of the table. F*ck this. See you guys on the Udinese match and Europa league.

i kinda think playin in the Europa league will be great wake up call for us Sad
InvalidComment
InvalidComment
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz Sat 20 Aug 2011 - 16:08

Lex wrote:
BarcaKizz wrote:Should have gone for Enrique, Zapata, Vertonghen, Fernando, maybe even Adam, Hulk, Falcao and Mata.
You're confusing us with Madrid Lite, we're not made of money

???

So Arsenal can afford to pay 12m for Oxlade-Chamberlain but not 5.5m for Enrique, or 7m for Charlie Adam?? Two of the EPLs best players equal the same amount as some absolute random kid. Fernando's price is said to be about 15m, Vertonghen would be about 10 I'd say, as would Zapata...

Arsenal have the money... I have no idea wtf they're doing with it, because they're not paying for a very good medical staff either.

BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamin Sat 20 Aug 2011 - 16:08

1 word.... shit
Jamin
Jamin
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

http://twitter.com/#!/J_Amin94

Back to top Go down

Post by djoe26 Sat 20 Aug 2011 - 16:09

Szczesny - He was superb today and is def. our #1

Sagna - He did all he could do but didnt get much help from Arshavin.

Vermaelen - Todays performance shows what we missed last season. He was simply faultless and couldnt do anything about Suarez goal. MOTM for me!

Koscielny - Another injury blow for arsenal.

Jenkinson - Nervous and got caught sometimes but he did quit okey. Also he needs to work on his crosses.

Frimpong - He has got talent there is no doubt about that but the hell is wrong with his temper? he needs to improve his temper if he wants to play starting 11.

Ramsey - He got lost sometimes and therefore needs some more playing time and he couldnt do anything about the goal.

Nasri - He was in great form but little selfish and he showed what we are going to miss if he leaves.

Arshavin - Nothing to say about him, he has been terrible and shouldnt start anymore. Flop of the match for me.

Walcott - We didnt get to see anything from him and was ghost for most of the time.

Van Persie - same like walcott but i cant totaly blame him because our midfield wasnt that creative and missed one easy chance.
djoe26
djoe26
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat 20 Aug 2011 - 16:10

Wilson37 wrote:I too admit.. This season can be the worst..
Exactly what I said after Cesc went!
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next