Do You Agree with this Logic? [Was Hargreaves a successful signing for United? e.g]

+10
Jeps33178
Albiceleste
The Messiah
The Madrid One
Bellabong
RED
Vyey
drakefyre
Onyx
Great Leader Sprucenuce
14 posters

Go down

Do You Agree with my argument? Hargreaves to United was it a flop ?

Do You Agree with this Logic? [Was Hargreaves a successful signing for United? e.g] Vote_lcap32%Do You Agree with this Logic? [Was Hargreaves a successful signing for United? e.g] Vote_rcap 32% 
[ 9 ]
Do You Agree with this Logic? [Was Hargreaves a successful signing for United? e.g] Vote_lcap68%Do You Agree with this Logic? [Was Hargreaves a successful signing for United? e.g] Vote_rcap 68% 
[ 19 ]

Total Votes : 28

Do You Agree with this Logic? [Was Hargreaves a successful signing for United? e.g] Empty Do You Agree with this Logic? [Was Hargreaves a successful signing for United? e.g]

Post by Guest Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:50 pm

I often argue with people that as long as signings play a significant role in club's glory, they are successful no matter the price.

For example, I count Cisse a successful signing despite him not scoring much in PL, since he played a big role is Istanbul PKs, and scored in FA Cup final and his penalty there too. That totally rules out the flop thingy.

same for Hargo. I see many people labeling him a flop for his 20M move to United 4 years ago, in which he only played one full season, but hey, he was a big big part of their double by scoring that freekick vs Arsenal and good game @ Moscow and converting his penalty there. I see him contributing massively to their historic double. worth the fee then. He brought glory to the club. Same with Carrick for 20M 5 years ago. That's why I argue that as long as players bought bring some kind of glory to the club, fee is irrelevant and it's automatic success in my eyes (if not that, at least not a flop). That's why I don't get the fuss over fee of players that some people do, as I believe we can't judge their contribution until 1-2 seasons later at least. For example. Berbatov a flop until this season, this season plays a mssive role in league win. Success in my eyes and not a flop anymore.

Do you agree with my argument....How do you analyze Hargo to United transfer ?

Back to top Go down

Do You Agree with this Logic? [Was Hargreaves a successful signing for United? e.g] Empty Re: Do You Agree with this Logic? [Was Hargreaves a successful signing for United? e.g]

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:03 pm

Now Sep i agree with your overall logic but not in this particularly scenario. One season imo is'nt enough to consider a 20 million transfer a success.

Especially when for most of of those 4 years has been spent injured collecting his wages and Man Utd spent money on top of that on treatment to get him back to fitness.

Basically being useless to the club for 3 out of those 4 years and i dont consider that a success.

Again i agree with the logic you use but i dont agree with the scenario you used to try and explain said logic.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Do You Agree with this Logic? [Was Hargreaves a successful signing for United? e.g] Empty Re: Do You Agree with this Logic? [Was Hargreaves a successful signing for United? e.g]

Post by Onyx Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:05 pm

The thing is you could name some random players who could of contributed in a cup triumph and not call them flops. However I think if they contribute as much as Berbatov did for Man Utd this season then they shouldn't really be considered a flop.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by drakefyre Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:08 pm

Hargreaves did have one very good season at United . Was that worth 20m ? imo it's subjective .

Anyway say if Fergie knew he was gonna be crocked for the rest of his career before he signed him , I doubt he'd have spent that money on him .

drakefyre
drakefyre
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Vyey Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:20 pm

I still think his first season was really good. Is he a flop? Not in my eyes.

Vyey
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:26 pm

He helped us win the league and CL in his first season. So I will appreciate his contribution in that brilliant year.

Other than that, when you think about the price and the fact he has been in the sidelines for 3 years( through no fault of his) the signing was a disaster tbh.

I feel for him, he would have given us so much and would have been crucial for us.

I would never forget his FK v Arsenal and his WC pen in the CL final. He left us United fans with precious memories during his first season.
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:31 pm

I think it's a tragedy. Not a "failed" signing.
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by The Madrid One Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:06 am

there are 4 years

3 out of 4 were fails

had good times, but was he really instrumental?

The Madrid One
The Madrid One
"Imaybeonthesideoftheangels..."

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by The Messiah Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:45 am

personally I dont think Hargreaves was a flop........
The Messiah
The Messiah
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Chelsea

http://pose-grpp.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Albiceleste Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:10 am

The Madrid One wrote:there are 4 years

3 out of 4 were fails

had good times, but was he really instrumental?

Pretty much this says it all :coffee:

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeps33178 Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:30 am

I understand where your coming from, and that scenario can be applicable to Owen and United

but Hargreaves is different, I feel for him because of his injuries but he hasnt done nearly enough to make up for a 20 million price tag
Jeps33178
Jeps33178
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:34 am

Since flop is really a judgement of expectations vs performance I'd have to say he flopped. Doesn't mean he has not been important for United. They're different.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeps33178 Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:48 am

Exactly, Hargreaves may have been important, but he was definately not influential

plus one year does not overshadow three
Jeps33178
Jeps33178
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:52 am

20m price tags were a lot of money back then. He's a great player, but that's too much money to pay for someone perpetually injured.

He was awesome for Bayern, though Smile
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by teague Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:02 am

You can never count injuries as a reason for calling a player flopped.
teague
teague
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by gkamtu Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:21 am

wtf..let him go somewhere else....imo
gkamtu
gkamtu
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down