Owen Hargreaves claims injections at United hindered recovery

+3
Raptorgunner
LeVersacci
Adit
7 posters

Go down

Owen Hargreaves claims injections at United hindered recovery Empty Owen Hargreaves claims injections at United hindered recovery

Post by Adit Fri 23 Sep 2011, 18:55

Manchester City midfielder Owen Hargreaves claims his recovery from long-standing knee problems was hindered by injections given to him at Manchester United.

United responded Friday by insisting the former player's criticism lacked validity.

Persistent tendinitis limited Calgary-born Hargreaves to six minutes of playing time at United after having surgery on both knees during the 2008-09 season. The 30-year-old midfielder is trying to kick-start his career at Manchester City after being released by United at the end of last season.

MORE RELATED TO THIS STORY
Hargreaves celebrates return with goal
And Hargreaves, who scored a goal on his City debut on Wednesday, claims United mishandled his rehabilitation after the 2007-08 season, which ended with the club winning the Champions League.

“I received some injections but my tendon was never the same,” the former Bayern Munich player told British newspapers after City beat Birmingham 2-0 in the League Cup. “After the injections, I tried to get back on my feet and they said my tendon was good, but it felt like I was made out of glass. That obviously had a huge impact. With my tendon injury, I've had to be a guinea pig for a lot of these treatments. It's difficult.”

The Canadian-born player, who competed for England at the 2006 World Cup, said he was assured by United that there would be no side effects from the painkilling injections.

“That wasn't the case and if I'd known, I wouldn't have done it,” he said. “I wish I had not had the injections ... it got significantly worse after that through the injections I had. After that my tendon was never the same.”

United issued a statement saying it was “disappointed with Owen's remarks.”

“The club gave him the best possible care for three years and is as disappointed as anyone he was not able to play a part in the team's success at that time,” the statement said. “It has shared all the medical records with Manchester City and is comfortable with the actions taken by its medical staff at each step of his many attempts at rehabilitation.

“United does not acknowledge any validity in the comments Owen is alleged to have made. Manchester United has some of the best sports medical staff in world sport, who have made a significant contribution to United's on-pitch success in recent seasons.”

United manager Alex Ferguson had defended his medical staff before the statement was released.

“As far as I am concerned my medical staff is one of the main reasons why we have been so successful over the last few years,” Ferguson said. “Do you think we would be successful if they were not 100 per cent brilliant? Our doctor and his five physios are fantastic. That is my opinion and that is more important than what anyone else has to say about it.”

City manager Roberto Mancini said Hargreaves could be a regular member of his squad within a month if his present progress continues.

“He is pain-free,” Mancini said. “There are no problems, apart from a bit of tiredness. He has been out for two years, which is a long period. He has worked hard for the last six months in Canada. And I hope it has solved all his problems.”
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Owen Hargreaves claims injections at United hindered recovery Empty Re: Owen Hargreaves claims injections at United hindered recovery

Post by LeVersacci Fri 23 Sep 2011, 19:00

Hargreaves Y U NO HUMBLE & RESPECTFUL?
LeVersacci
LeVersacci
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Owen Hargreaves claims injections at United hindered recovery Empty Re: Owen Hargreaves claims injections at United hindered recovery

Post by Raptorgunner Fri 23 Sep 2011, 19:05

Anti-DNA wrote:Hargreaves Y U NO HUMBLE & RESPECTFUL?
Thumbs up
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by 7amood11 Fri 23 Sep 2011, 19:06

I doubt this is true, and if it is, I 'd like to see ManUtd's response.
7amood11
7amood11
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Albiceleste Fri 23 Sep 2011, 19:07

already a thread on this I believe

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Fri 23 Sep 2011, 19:41

This Adit guy is clearly trying to troll united. Get a life mate.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Vyey Fri 23 Sep 2011, 20:46

jibers wrote:This Adit guy is clearly trying to troll united. Get a life mate.

he mad 'cause you called Ramos average

Vyey
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by LeVersacci Fri 23 Sep 2011, 21:57

jibers wrote:This Adit guy is clearly trying to troll united. Get a life mate.
Oh the kid can't handle it.

But he has no problem spewing shit aswell :brickwall:
LeVersacci
LeVersacci
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down