The Verminator
The Madrid One
Highburied
REWB
6unner
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Realistic pre and post mercato review - Page 2 Empty Re: Realistic pre and post mercato review

Post by Mr Nick09 Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:34 pm

sportsczy wrote:If Gervinho was as good as Nasri, you would have had Chelsea, Man City and Man U (not to mention all the foreign leagues) offer over 20 million for him... which is what happened to Nasri. But as it stood, the best offer he had was from Arsenal at 10.5 million.

Lille is not the type to give away talent either... they will go for a bidding war if at all possible.

Nasri is obviously much more highly regarded because he is kind of unique. He's a winger that has AM skills and can score. His range of skills is much wider than Gervinho.

So until proven otherwise Nasri > Gervinho.

I disagree mate, it's impossible to tell what each club scouting department was up to. first, Gervinho was in his last year, so the price is fitting. Nasri, being already in EPL and after the flashy half season, had significantly higher reputation, as opposed to Gervinho. Navas is a gem of a player, we all know it, but teams arent rushing to get him, just like Silva the summer we lost him, i dont recall teams having a bidding war for him.

I agree that his style is different from Gervinho, but at the end of the day, we arent looking at their abilities sheet. Gervinho can become much more productive than Nasri was in Arsenal new team, even if the players are of a different type.

Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Realistic pre and post mercato review - Page 2 Empty Re: Realistic pre and post mercato review

Post by Iceman Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:17 pm

My two cents: All of this depends on the change of tactics. If Wenger keeps the tactics the same (which would be foolish, imho), then this team is not as good as last season's; however, if we change our tactics, become more direct and less reliant on our midfield, then this squad might just be better than last season's, or more effective at least.

Iceman
Iceman
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Arsenalfaithfull Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:28 pm

1.Play with a deeper back four

2.Song and Frimpong- protecting the back 4
3.Santos and Song allowed to venture forward every now n then

Walcott/AOC-----Arshavin/Wilshere/Arteta/Rozza----------Gervinho/Miachi/Rozzai

------------------------------RVP/Park/Walcott

going with a 4-2-3-1

Why?
We dont have the creativity like last year
We have genuine wingers. Therefore use Arshavin where he thrives
Good finishers
A strong spine
You dont lose battles , with a strong defence. lets work on that.
Arsenalfaithfull
Arsenalfaithfull
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:57 pm

I disagree with a lot of what has been said, mainly because we gooners have been trying to make ourselves feel better by saying that the players that came in are better than the ones that left, and that isn't necessarily true. I just wanted to point out one thing in particular that bugged me, and it was this line Art:

Art Morte wrote:
Santos, well, if you're 28 and the biggest club you've played for is Fenerbache / Corinthians you probably aren't going to blow off everyone's mind when joining a top BPL side, but certainly an improvement to Arsenal's current LB choices.

Not accurate at all. Odeminwingie (However you spell it) was fantastic for WBA last season. Arshavin was playing in Russia before he came and ripped the EPL to pieces in his first half-season (Strictly statistically speaking, he's still doing very well)

Unfair way of judging a player
Iceman
Iceman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:14 pm

St_Nick09_of_Goal wrote:
sportsczy wrote:If Gervinho was as good as Nasri, you would have had Chelsea, Man City and Man U (not to mention all the foreign leagues) offer over 20 million for him... which is what happened to Nasri. But as it stood, the best offer he had was from Arsenal at 10.5 million.

Lille is not the type to give away talent either... they will go for a bidding war if at all possible.

Nasri is obviously much more highly regarded because he is kind of unique. He's a winger that has AM skills and can score. His range of skills is much wider than Gervinho.

I disagree mate, it's impossible to tell what each club scouting department was up to. first, Gervinho was in his last year, so the price is fitting. Nasri, being already in EPL and after the flashy half season, had significantly higher reputation, as opposed to Gervinho. Navas is a gem of a player, we all know it, but teams arent rushing to get him, just like Silva the summer we lost him, i dont recall teams having a bidding war for him.

I agree that his style is different from Gervinho, but at the end of the day, we arent looking at their abilities sheet. Gervinho can become much more productive than Nasri was in Arsenal new team, even if the players are of a different type.

Nasri was in his last year too... so the pricing conditions for both Gervinho and Nasri were the same this summer.

I've watched a ton of Gervinho last (i mean 25 games of him). He's very good on his wing. Excellent even. But he's not the player Samir Nasri is. Doesn't have the variety to his game.

Back to top Go down

Post by Benry Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:24 pm

Have to question your logic. Clarify. Are you judging a player's ability via the number of clubs interested in said player?

In regards to Nasri there was no formal interest abroad at all, Arsenal would have done business abroad rather than from within, for a cheaper price. Chelsea were very tentative with their interest, just a mere whisper to Arsenal. If Chelsea wanted him, they would have a very strong chance of signing Nasri.

In regards to Gervinho, it was a closed market ala Cesc Fabregas's transfer, Gervinho only wanted Arsenal thus the price will be lower than what it should be. Spurs were interested, apparently City were but I highly doubt that.

Comparing both players, clearly this is a tactical shift from Wenger, Wenger is looking for more direct players, Nasri is extremely frustrating in terms of being direct and having a quick end product, the amount of attacks that have died at that guy's feet for Arsenal (including last season) is unreal. In the big games was where Nasri showed that he was the French Gareth Bale. Very hot and cold, lack of composure, easy to isolate and easily nullified. He's not the sort of player you want when the going gets tough, only plays when the team are playing well, he is no talisman that many claim him to be.

His performances in the CC Final, Chelsea at home and Bolton away encapsulate what I state and contradict
what you are claiming. Nasri needs the players around him to make him effective, where as Gervinho is far more individualistic, direct and more confident when dribbling past players.

I would say both are very erratic and inconsistent, however in terms of productivity Gervinho looks the better player.
Benry
Benry
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2