teamanarchy
24 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Puyol's replacement - Page 2 Empty Re: Puyol's replacement

Post by alexjanosik Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:38 pm

free_cat wrote:
BarcaKizz wrote:
teamanarchy wrote:So, there's nobody coming through the youth that looks like he might find his feet in time?
Because, given that that's where Puyol came from, I figured that's where you would look first...

Our defensive stocks in our youth is very, very strong.

There is of course Fontas (22) who's now in the first team and he should be playing more, but Pep obviously doesn't trust him yet. He's a lot like Pique though, and I can't see a Pique-Fontas duo being successful. He's probably not quick enough to cover Pique when he goes for a march downfield.

Then there is Marc Bartra (20) who is also quite a bit like Pique. Interestingly, Bartra is very, very fast. His problem is, he's a good footballer but not a well-rounded defender yet. Hopefully, he'll mature, but for now his tackling, positioning and decision-making leaves a bit to be desired.

The most promising players are probably Muniesa (19) and Gomez (19). Both are very good on the ball, but also have those qualities of steel Puyol is famous for. Particularly Muniesa, who is a great tackler and is very fast. Muniesa has always been marked out as Puyol's heir but had some injury problems last year. He missed the Spain U20 tour (he is Spain's captain). Potentially, if he comes through he has some of Puyol's qualities plus much better ball-skills. So he's a great option. Gomez isn't as fast but is tall, and is a no-nonsense type of defender. Also good on the ball and in the air.

If 0 of these four players make the first team squad one day I'll be very disappointed.

It's a pitty Muniesa is all the time injured, he really looked like puyol's replacement!

Bartra seems the one with the most potential for his great speed and incredible techinque, but it is not that his defensive qualities "leave a bit to be desired", it's that he is bad at defending. Players just run "through" him.

I agree with you, if I had to bet, I'd bet a lot of money that at least one of this 4 guys will become a starter for Barça, just like I think that at least one of Thiago, Dos Santos, Roberto and Rafhina will become starters.

Why the skepticism regarding Thiago free?
He is a sure fire starter.I have seen very few midfielders with as much talent as Thiago.
There was a pass against Osasuna and a trick in the second half that brought a smile to my face.
It so reminded me of Ronnie.
Just hope he doesnt go the Ronnie way.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:22 pm

Agree with Alex, Thiago should be there for sure.

I'd add to that, I expect at least 1 of Roberto, Rafinha and Dos Santos to make it too. I really like both Roberto and Rafinha, so I hope they will.
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by alexjanosik Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:39 pm

BarcaKizz wrote:Agree with Alex, Thiago should be there for sure.

I'd add to that, I expect at least 1 of Roberto, Rafinha and Dos Santos to make it too. I really like both Roberto and Rafinha, so I hope they will.

Seen only glimpses of Roberto and Rafinha not at all.So wont comment on them.
JDS,I have seen and although I am not as big a fan as say dani he is a very good player.
Just dont think he can get into the current team.We have Xavi,Iniesta,Thiago and Fabregas.Granted Xavi is old but he can still play 2,3 years.So just dont see JDS breaking into the side.
We cant keep them all so it would be wise to sell him for a good price.Best for both parties.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:25 pm

alexjanosik wrote:

Why the skepticism regarding Thiago free?
He is a sure fire starter.I have seen very few midfielders with as much talent as Thiago.
There was a pass against Osasuna and a trick in the second half that brought a smile to my face.
It so reminded me of Ronnie.
Just hope he doesnt go the Ronnie way.

No skepticism about thiago. I wrote the sentence in present, but that was actually my thought on Thiago and the other guys a year ago, that at least one of them would be a starter for Barça. Now it's very likely Thiago will make it, he is already a rotation guy at 20.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by matpol Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:01 pm

Barcelona is unbeaten in last 35 matches which Puyol played (last loss with Puyol - Internazionale 20 April 2010). Impressive stat.
matpol
matpol
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sanchez Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:35 am

Mascherano seems to be 'enjoying' his position at centre back though I would like to see either David Luiz or Thiago Silva come to the team. They bring quality to the side though both teams want to keep them
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by barca 2011 Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:49 am

Arquitecto wrote:Naming anyone right now as the heir to him would be an insult.

David Luiz will never reach his level.

The heir will have be a leader, a commander, a man who can symbolize Barca and its colors.

Its not that the young defenders can't possess the technique of Puyol, but does anyone really have the heart, soul and passion he displays on the pitch?

No one as of yet and the way its going, no one for a long time.

Please don't name me Barca youth who haven't proven anything.
Totally agree that the youth defenders are unproven and not nearly ready to fill Puyol's void, but where would u find someone who could symbolize barca and their colors elsewhere? It's unlikely that these players will ever reach puyols level and I'm not saying you aren't a passionate player if you're not from barca, but to replace puyol with a player like u described, imo he has to be a player who loves the team and has grown up in the team like puyol. But I'm sure it'll take at least a few years if we ever do see a canterano reach anywhere near that level.
barca 2011
barca 2011
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:17 am

U mad guys......................................................

MUNIESA.End of Story.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sanchez Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:06 am

They will try as many B players since of their 'financial issue with money. Muniesa looks in good touch but I would also be looking at players like Barta and Sergio Gomez. Fontas looks like he needs time to develop.
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by matpol Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:02 pm

Puyol is now unbeaten in his last 41 games that he played with Barcelona. :dance:

Pique and Puyol have so far played 64 Liga games together. They only lost one. #fcblive 1-2 vs Espanyol, 21 Feb 2009

Anyone have a record with Puyol - Pique in all competitions? Their last lost together IIRC was the Inter game at San Siro in UCL.

BTW in last season we didn't lose with our once de Gala (Valdes - Alves - Pique - Puyol - Abidal - Xavi - Busquets - Iniesta - Pedro - Messi - Villa). :coffee:

We are unbeaten in last 26 official games, and unbeaten in all 20 games in this season so far. What's club record for unbeaten streak in all competitions? khaled I'm calling you.
matpol
matpol
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Ik7 Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:28 pm

From I have heard is that AC Milan are still strugling to all the money for Ibrahimovch and that Barcelona would be ready to accept Thiago Silva as part of the deal. Can anyone confirm it though?
Ik7
Ik7
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossoneri Ninja Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:46 am

Ik7 wrote:From I have heard is that AC Milan are still strugling to all the money for Ibrahimovch and that Barcelona would be ready to accept Thiago Silva as part of the deal. Can anyone confirm it though?

As pointed out by the Barca members they have adequate replacements coming through the youth ranks, no need for them to plough through Europe in search of the ideal replacement.
Rossoneri Ninja
Rossoneri Ninja
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum: