JAY-Z
sagnik92
teamanarchy
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Puyol's replacement Empty Puyol's replacement

Post by teamanarchy Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:00 am

I don't know if there's any youth lined up...
Perhaps someone ca let me know...
Puyol is 33, and he seems to be injured quite regularly these days.
Surely he has no more than 5 years left, and time can pass you by quite quickly.
According to you guys, who know better than me, what is Barca's long-term plan in terms of a new CB.
I cannot imagine Barca without him, and I truly love the guy.... Will someone be bought, or is there somebody being raised to take over?
teamanarchy
teamanarchy
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

https://www.facebook.com/#!/ks16152913

Back to top Go down

Puyol's replacement Empty Re: Puyol's replacement

Post by sagnik92 Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:04 am

we honestly dont have an idea.
so far it looks like mascherano is going to be the permanent replacement if he is finne with it
sagnik92
sagnik92
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by JAY-Z Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:41 am

His natural heir was David Luiz, but now I dont know.We cant rely on our youth (Muniesa), because they wont be in Puyol's level in 4-5 years or maybe never.Thiago Silva maybe, dunno.
JAY-Z
JAY-Z
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:39 pm

Naming anyone right now as the heir to him would be an insult.

David Luiz will never reach his level.

The heir will have be a leader, a commander, a man who can symbolize Barca and its colors.

Its not that the young defenders can't possess the technique of Puyol, but does anyone really have the heart, soul and passion he displays on the pitch?

No one as of yet and the way its going, no one for a long time.

Please don't name me Barca youth who haven't proven anything.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by billy_gr Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:42 pm

If I could get anyone, my pick would be Thiago Silva
billy_gr
billy_gr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:05 pm

Agreed on the obs. Arq, David Luiz will never reach the levels of Puyol.

Only player i can think who is intelligent enough to be even close to become puyols level is Hummels.

Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:13 pm

Thiago or hummels would be awesome
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:31 pm

Not David Luiz or Hummels......

They are both ball playing CB's, you dont play two ball playing CB's in a high back line you are asking for trouble......

Puyol's replacement must be a no nonsense defender, with pace and strength, excellent in the tackle just like Puyol and he doesnt need to have good passing skills because Puyol doesnt....

I dont understand this obsession with 2 ball playing CB's, it never has worked and it never will.....

Look at the best CB partnership's you have whats called Silk and Steel.....

Vidic and Ferdinand, Puyol and Pique, Nesta and Silva ect etc

The type Barca need to replace Puyol imo is a Sakho type.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:42 pm

That is not true at all,Barca would love to have 2 ball playing CBs at back.Having an extra skill wont bite you in the back.lol.
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:47 pm

Thiago Silva will be replacing either Carvalho at Madrid or Puyol at Barca next year...
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Albiceleste Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:18 pm

Vertonghen or Sakho would be good options.

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:07 pm

Mascherano, it seems like. He fits the leadership attributes and his skillset is similar to that of Puyol, just that in a worse body.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:23 pm

Well it depends in which way you're talking replacement. Like Arq says... you can't replace a legend, Puyol is more than a player, just like Xavi. However, obviously someone has to come in and play CB.

Tbh... the leadership thing doesn't have to be the player that replaces him, in fact it can't be that player. Pique has to assume the senior role. Right now, not sure if Pique's ready, he's WC but seems to be such a better player alongside Puyol... He's got leadership qualities and hopefully can learn to organise the defence.

The type of player is what needs to be looked at. Right now we have Mascherano, who's showing some nice qualities and while I like Gomez and Muniesa in Barca B, there will be a gap between the period they're ready to start and Puyol's retirement.

Other players? Well... no one really stands out for the position yet, and I think its silly to pick and choose any player in the world as if they would simply pack their bags and come straight to Barca. Depending on Mascherano's progress this year, as well as Fontas, we'll probably sign someone next year.
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by guest7 Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:57 pm

Pique to me doesn't come off as a good leader. He is very inconcistent and tbh the reason Puyol-Pique partnership was so great was becouse Puyol could light fire in Piques pants

Thus, the next partner has to be a good leader IMO
guest7
guest7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by ChollaVille Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:09 pm

Thiago Silva Smile
ChollaVille
ChollaVille
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:28 pm

The sort of leadership you guys are talking about is not going to come without experience. Which experienced defender can we buy that commands the respect of the dressing room? We have to look outside the defense to some of the other experienced players in the team for the leadership.

Mole described the kind of CB we need. Mascherano does that to some extent. Sakho would be a very good addition IMO.
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by alexjanosik Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:44 am

The Puyol and leadership thing is overrated.
Last season Puyol was out for the majority of the season.And we did just fine with Xavi as our captain.He led from the front and was inspirational.
So I am not worried about the leadership.
Its Puyol's sheer defensive quality that I am worried about.When fit he is a top 3 defender.So we need similar quality to replace him.Pique is nowhere near his level.
Hummels is a good option.I like him as a player but the question does arise whether 2 ball playing CB's is a good idea.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:56 am

Is his leadership overrated? In the few games Puyol did play the defense looked far more organized than in the games where he didn't. Pique has publicly admitted to feeling more complacent without him around. The in-game difference was quite visible, and it wasn't just his attributes as a defender that did that.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alexjanosik Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:04 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Is his leadership overrated? In the few games Puyol did play the defense looked far more organized than in the games where he didn't. Pique has publicly admitted to feeling more complacent without him around. The in-game difference was quite visible, and it wasn't just his attributes as a defender that did that.

You have misunderstood my quote.He is a fantastic leader.But the leadership part of it can be replaced.Our vice captain is a damn fine leader himself.
You have said it yourself.Its his ability as a defender that we have missed.His ability to organize the backline,his ability to make Pique look a better player.And not his leadership per se.
Similarly when Xavi retires its his complete mastery of the midfield that will be missed and not his leadership.
Other players can provide leadership but not the skillset.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by teamanarchy Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:06 am

So, there's nobody coming through the youth that looks like he might find his feet in time?
Because, given that that's where Puyol came from, I figured that's where you would look first...
teamanarchy
teamanarchy
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

https://www.facebook.com/#!/ks16152913

Back to top Go down

Post by billy_gr Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:12 am

teamanarchy wrote:So, there's nobody coming through the youth that looks like he might find his feet in time?
Because, given that that's where Puyol came from, I figured that's where you would look first...

it's too soon to tell. none of them are truly tested. look at Fontas for example.
You can't substitute a seasoned player with a Segunda Division regular
billy_gr
billy_gr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:40 am

teamanarchy wrote:So, there's nobody coming through the youth that looks like he might find his feet in time?

Our defensive stocks in our youth is very, very strong.

There is of course Fontas (22) who's now in the first team and he should be playing more, but Pep obviously doesn't trust him yet. He's a lot like Pique though, and I can't see a Pique-Fontas duo being successful. He's probably not quick enough to cover Pique when he goes for a march downfield.

Then there is Marc Bartra (20) who is also quite a bit like Pique. Interestingly, Bartra is very, very fast. His problem is, he's a good footballer but not a well-rounded defender yet. Hopefully, he'll mature, but for now his tackling, positioning and decision-making leaves a bit to be desired.

The most promising players are probably Muniesa (19) and Gomez (19). Both are very good on the ball, but also have those qualities of steel Puyol is famous for. Particularly Muniesa, who is a great tackler and is very fast. Muniesa has always been marked out as Puyol's heir but had some injury problems last year. He missed the Spain U20 tour (he is Spain's captain). Potentially, if he comes through he has some of Puyol's qualities plus much better ball-skills. So he's a great option. Gomez isn't as fast but is tall, and is a no-nonsense type of defender. Also good on the ball and in the air.

If 0 of these four players make the first team squad one day I'll be very disappointed.
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:18 pm

BarcaKizz wrote:

There is of course Fontas (22) who's now in the first team and he should be playing more, but Pep obviously doesn't trust him yet. He's a lot like Pique though, and I can't see a Pique-Fontas duo being successful. He's probably not quick enough to cover Pique when he goes for a march downfield.

Then there is Marc Bartra (20) who is also quite a bit like Pique. Interestingly, Bartra is very, very fast. His problem is, he's a good footballer but not a well-rounded defender yet. Hopefully, he'll mature, but for now his tackling, positioning and decision-making leaves a bit to be desired.

The most promising players are probably Muniesa (19) and Gomez (19). Both are very good on the ball, but also have those qualities of steel Puyol is famous for. Particularly Muniesa, who is a great tackler and is very fast. Muniesa has always been marked out as Puyol's heir but had some injury problems last year. He missed the Spain U20 tour (he is Spain's captain). Potentially, if he comes through he has some of Puyol's qualities plus much better ball-skills. So he's a great option. Gomez isn't as fast but is tall, and is a no-nonsense type of defender. Also good on the ball and in the air.

If 0 of these four players make the first team squad one day I'll be very disappointed.

It's a pitty Muniesa is all the time injured, he really looked like puyol's replacement!

Bartra seems the one with the most potential for his great speed and incredible techinque, but it is not that his defensive qualities "leave a bit to be desired", it's that he is bad at defending. Players just run "through" him.

I agree with you, if I had to bet, I'd bet a lot of money that at least one of this 4 guys will become a starter for Barça, just like I think that at least one of Thiago, Dos Santos, Roberto and Rafhina will become starters.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Psycho Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:38 pm

Let's not forget about Alberto Botía, the option for him is still out there. I'm surprised he didn't come in this past summer to be honest.

Puyol's replacement Foto_375867_CAS

Champions League Experience ~ lmao
Sir Psycho
Sir Psycho
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by alexjanosik Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:38 pm

free_cat wrote:
BarcaKizz wrote:

It's a pitty Muniesa is all the time injured, he really looked like puyol's replacement!

Bartra seems the one with the most potential for his great speed and incredible techinque, but it is not that his defensive qualities "leave a bit to be desired", it's that he is bad at defending. Players just run "through" him.

I agree with you, if I had to bet, I'd bet a lot of money that at least one of this 4 guys will become a starter for Barça, just like I think that at least one of Thiago, Dos Santos, Roberto and Rafhina will become starters.

Why the skepticism regarding Thiago free?
He is a sure fire starter.I have seen very few midfielders with as much talent as Thiago.
There was a pass against Osasuna and a trick in the second half that brought a smile to my face.
It so reminded me of Ronnie.
Just hope he doesnt go the Ronnie way.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next