Sushi Master
Swanhends
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Troy Davis Empty Troy Davis

Post by Swanhends Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:50 am

Getting put to death in less than 15 minutes now....reasonable doubt be damned

Absolutely disgusting....21st Century and not only are we putting someone to death, but were putting him to death with barely any evidence at all :facepalm:

I'll be shocked if there are no riots
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Troy Davis Empty Re: Troy Davis

Post by Sushi Master Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:52 am

*does a quick Wikipedia search, sees he's black.

Typical Americans.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:01 am

Stay classy Rolling Eyes
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:12 am

Yeah, I'm not saying all Americans are racists, but there clearly still is a lot of it alive.

I find it strange the death penalty is allowed in some states, yet in others not. But well, federal government and all.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:15 am

Time of death 11:08...I feel like im going to be sick

Charles Manson still living out his days in California
Casey Anthony gets off with what amounts to a slap on the wrist...

Troy Davis gets put to death

Jesus F*cking Christ.
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Madrid One Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:19 am

Well we do live here

Troy Davis Earth_apollo17

and not here

Troy Davis Fairyland2

stuff happens. convicted for shooting a police office to death... whats the controversy herE?
The Madrid One
The Madrid One
"Imaybeonthesideoftheangels..."

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:30 am

No physical evidence.
No murder weapon found.
7 out of 9 original "witnesses" recanted their testimony - mostly citing police pressure...
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:33 am

I have no fking idea whether he actually killed the guy or not...but you do NOT put someone to death with that much reasonable doubt, it makes a mockery of the entire justice system and the country as a whole...I'm against the death penalty anyway - but even someone who is for it in theory has to recognize the travesty of executing someone who is not even CLOSE to clearly guilty.

"It is better to risk saving a guilty man than to condemn an innocent one.” Voltaire
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:43 am

US trying to enforce democracy to other nations Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by everest1 Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:15 am

i can honestly say that at times like this im ashamed to be an american. capital punishment is so barbaric, its disgusting that it is a pillar of our modern and supposedly civilized legal system. I can't understand the politics of it either--on average it is more expensive to execute an inmate than to have him serve out an entire life sentence, and you would think that it would be more miserable to live out your days rotting away in a cell than to be put to death, regardless of your views on the afterlife. to execute a man for murder is complete hypocrisy. to me it all boils down to this country's insatiable thirst for blood.

on another note, racism in america lives. those who thought that obama's election represented a turning of the tide were unfortunately mistaken.

RIP Troy Davis.
everest1
everest1
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by elm_baraja_shaman Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:22 am

Casey Anthony is still alive and going on nice vacations.......

this guy gets killed for no reason, no substantial evidence.......

capital punishment in itself is a mockery....
elm_baraja_shaman
elm_baraja_shaman
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by Chad Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:11 am

Racism exist around the world and capital punishment is a joke.
Chad
Chad
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Senor Penguin Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:16 am

Sushi Master wrote:Yeah, I'm not saying all Americans are racists, but there clearly still is a lot of it alive.

I find it strange the death penalty is allowed in some states, yet in others not. But well, federal government and all.
Racism exists everywhere ... and I believe this is more an issue of a crappy justice system.

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by dansik Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:57 pm

I know right. This Troy Davis guy is obviously a huge racist who targeted a white off-duty police officer.

On a more serious note, to the idiots who are claiming he's only dead because he's black.

Troy Davis was found GUILTY of this crime 20 years ago, by a jury of his peers (5 white, 7 black).

That's right. 7 black people (ya know, the same race as him) found him GUILTY.

dansik
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:06 pm

Then seven of the original nine eyewitnesses changed their views, stating that police coerced them into providing evidence.
One guy was illiterate, and didn't know what statement he was signing.
The only two guys that haven't changed their minds are a guy that hasn't been in court for years, and the guy who is the other suspect.

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:25 pm

Senor Penguin wrote:
Sushi Master wrote:Yeah, I'm not saying all Americans are racists, but there clearly still is a lot of it alive.

Racism exists everywhere ... and I believe this is more an issue of a crappy justice system.
It's not as apparent in other places, and it's ironic this being the "land of the free".

Also, the US is the only western country to fully endorse the death penalty. Not even here in Latin America do we have it. It's the 21st century, that shit shouldn't even be legal.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Senor Penguin Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:04 pm

Sushi Master wrote:
Senor Penguin wrote:

It's not as apparent in other places, and it's ironic this being the "land of the free".
Do you believe that this case turned out this way because of racism? If so, why and how? I find it less apparent than some of the politics we have here in Denmark.

We actually have a party in government that wants to remove the anti-racism paragraph from our constitution - a paragraph that several of their members got arrested for breaking. They also have a fairly obvious rhetoric that is all about keeping foreigners - mainly Muslims - outside of Denmark at all costs.

And yet, despite the obvious agenda of their politics, their voters still insist that they're not about racism and they're certainly not xenophobic.

It seems like no one is a genuine racist anymore. No one has the guts to admit it.

Also, the US is the only western country to fully endorse the death penalty. Not even here in Latin America do we have it. It's the 21st century, that shit shouldn't even be legal.
I suppose it depends on how you see the issue. If we assume that someone is convicted for lifetime, you could argue that the tax money to keep that person alive could be spent more wisely elsewhere. You could also argue that it's mental torture to imprison someone for lifetime.

On the other hand, how do you ensure that a person awaiting a death sentence was convicted beyond a reasonable doubt? In Troy Davis' case you can certainly argue there was reasonable doubt in the allegations against him. If you choose to death sentence a man just because of a bunch of (now recanted) witness accounts, it really seems unjust.

I'd like to know what sort of appeals that were made on his behalf and why other courts denied such appeals.

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:11 pm

Once you have been convicted, it is assumed the jury have made the correct decision.
Becomes much harder to prove your innocence then.

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Senor Penguin Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:17 pm

beatrixasdfghjk. wrote:Once you have been convicted, it is assumed the jury have made the correct decision.
But surely there are higher instances in the justice system - appeal courts - where you can appeal against the initial conviction?

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:18 pm

And what pisses me off something awful is the fact that scumbag, **** of a woman Casey Anthony gets off free, gets a book deal and is getting rich for practically killing her baby and trying to hide the fact she did.

This world disgusts me sometimes.
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:20 pm

Sushi_Master wrote:Also, the US is the only western country to fully endorse the death penalty.

wat

Around 20 states either have abolished the death penalty or haven't actually executed anyone in decades...The State of Michigan was the first English-Speaking government to abolish the death penalty

Its just the god damn South and all those hicks down there...

The difference between execution rates in the south compared to the north is ridiculous
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by dansik Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:45 pm

Senor Penguin wrote:
beatrixasdfghjk. wrote:Once you have been convicted, it is assumed the jury have made the correct decision.
But surely there are higher instances in the justice system - appeal courts - where you can appeal against the initial conviction?

There are and he went through them. He had 20 years, 4 separate stays of execution, and countless appeals. He lost all of them.

dansik
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by dansik Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:49 pm

everest1 wrote:and you would think that it would be more miserable to live out your days rotting away in a cell than to be put to death

RIP Troy Davis.

You would think that, and you'd be wrong. People in prison receive 3 hot meals a day, showers, TV, rec time, they get to hang out with all their homies, free medical care, free dental care, clothing, and protection from the elements. Don't forget that they still get to get drunk and high from homemade alcohol and smuggled drugs.

Prison in America is not nearly the punishment it is in other places.

And why the f are you saying RIP Troy Davis? That right there is what's wrong in our country. More sympathy for the CONVICTED crapheads than the people they hurt. Pathetic.

dansik
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:55 pm

dansik wrote:
everest1 wrote:and you would think that it would be more miserable to live out your days rotting away in a cell than to be put to death

RIP Troy Davis.

You would think that, and you'd be wrong. People in prison receive 3 hot meals a day, showers, TV, rec time, they get to hang out with all their homies, free medical care, free dental care, clothing, and protection from the elements. Don't forget that they still get to get drunk and high from homemade alcohol and smuggled drugs.

And why the f are you saying RIP Troy Davis? That right there is what's wrong in our country. More sympathy for the CONVICTED crapheads than the people they hurt. Pathetic.

And how do you know he was a convicted craphead when there is no evidence indicating he did it? stop talking out your ass!
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by dansik Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:00 pm

Devil-Is-Red wrote:
dansik wrote:

RIP Troy Davis.

And how do you know he was a convicted craphead when there is no evidence indicating he did it? stop talking out your ass!

I know he was a convicted craphead because a jury of his peers CONVICTED him...hence making him convicted...whether he was guilty or not is another question. However, this was a guy who had a criminal past not exactly a pillar of society so I could really care less that he's dead. I just always find it humorous that stupid people are always RIP to the crapheads, but where's the RIP Mark MacPhail? Where's the threads for whenever anyone actually doing something worthwhile is gunned down by some craphead? Oh I forgot, our society memorializes criminals more than they do dead soldiers, firefighters, and police officers.

dansik
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next