Defending Set Pieces: Zonal vs Man-to-Man ?

+11
EarlyPrototype
Grande_Milano
Zealous
guest7
BeautifulGame
SaintJoe
Magricos
Ganso
The Messiah
dostoevsky
arabprince
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Defending Set Pieces ?

Defending Set Pieces: Zonal vs Man-to-Man ? Vote_lcap25%Defending Set Pieces: Zonal vs Man-to-Man ? Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 5 ]
Defending Set Pieces: Zonal vs Man-to-Man ? Vote_lcap30%Defending Set Pieces: Zonal vs Man-to-Man ? Vote_rcap 30% 
[ 6 ]
Defending Set Pieces: Zonal vs Man-to-Man ? Vote_lcap45%Defending Set Pieces: Zonal vs Man-to-Man ? Vote_rcap 45% 
[ 9 ]

Total Votes : 20

Defending Set Pieces: Zonal vs Man-to-Man ? Empty Defending Set Pieces: Zonal vs Man-to-Man ?

Post by Guest Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:29 am

Zonal for me. Man-2-Man is way too risky

Back to top Go down

Defending Set Pieces: Zonal vs Man-to-Man ? Empty Re: Defending Set Pieces: Zonal vs Man-to-Man ?

Post by arabprince Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:43 am

I'd say Man-2-Man. If you are doing Zonal, and someone makes a run, they will have an advantage over you because they already started moving. Man-2Man works if people are doing it properly.

Then again, you can say that about any strategy Razz
arabprince
arabprince
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Defending Set Pieces: Zonal vs Man-to-Man ? Empty Re: Defending Set Pieces: Zonal vs Man-to-Man ?

Post by dostoevsky Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:46 am

It really depends on the personnel you have available to you, a coach shouldn't be rigid on such a matter, though I personally prefer man-to-man.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by The Messiah Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:48 am

Man to Man is the best and the most effective way of defending set piece.

The Messiah
The Messiah
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Chelsea

http://pose-grpp.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:53 am

it depends....if you go against a team like barca where only busquets and pique are a real threat,id go for man marking
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Magricos Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:55 am

Man to Man.

Magricos
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:59 am

In zonal, you attack thee ball, in man-2-man, you simply on to make sure the opposition don't get the ball.

attacking the ball is more important IMO.

Back to top Go down

Post by SaintJoe Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:04 am

I prefer man to man.
SaintJoe
SaintJoe
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Schalke 04

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:17 am

Man to man for me
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by guest7 Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:21 am

If it's against a team with good aerial threats then I'd like my taller men to mark the tall ones
guest7
guest7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:34 am

Does it have to be one or the other?

How about playing zone but making sure that one or two of the other team's danger men are man marked.

Best of both worlds. (If I had to choose one though I'd choose Zone)
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:50 am

Zealous wrote:Does it have to be one or the other?

How about playing zone but making sure that one or two of the other team's danger men are man marked.

would be too much confusion for defenders i suppose.

U wont exactly know where the other team's danger man is gone stand for every set piece so man marking defenders will get confused with their zone marking defenders.
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Grande_Milano Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:09 am

A mix of both?

Its good to mark opponents' most dangerous players personally, but what if thats Ribery or Robben you are playing against, who rape 2-3 players consistently?

Need cover then
Grande_Milano
Grande_Milano
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:27 am

BeautifulGame wrote:
Zealous wrote:Does it have to be one or the other?

would be too much confusion for defenders i suppose.

U wont exactly know where the other team's danger man is gone stand for every set piece so man marking defenders will get confused with their zone marking defenders.

I know footballers aren't usually the smartest guys but I don't think it'll be that confusing to do LOL
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:38 am

I prefer man on man man to man, no one uses zonal anymore......

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:41 am

I blame Sky and English pundits in general for giving Zonal marking a bad rep.

It's an effective way to defend when done properly.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:43 am

Man to man.

Or both like Zealous said, man mark the dangerous ones and zonal mark the rest of the area.
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:45 am

Zonal is terrible. You allow players to take free runs into areas... makes them a lot more dangerous. Man-to-man is the way to go as you need to get in the way of players at the start imo.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:52 am

Zonal with man to man marking on the most dangerous players(CB's mostly)
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:54 am

Zonal is only as terrible as the players using it. Man marking is easier to understand and do but it's essentially a gamble especially if the other team has great set piece players, doubly so if the delivery is good.

Look at Hernandez's goal for United yesterday against Liverpool. All it took was a dummy run and the entire man marking thing fell apart.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:10 pm

It's much, much harder to have to see the ball flight and find the man coming into your zone at full speed... in fact, it's suicide if you have great air game by the opponent. Zonal is usually used when you have a height advantage and/or a speed deficit. Even then, it's really risky.

Imo, in the modern game, you just can't let people take free runs into the box. Players are too strong, too fast and jump too well for it to be effective. You need to pick everyone man-to-man from the penalty box in.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:13 pm

The supposed advantage you get when facing a zone on set pieces of getting a running start vs the opponant in a zone simply standing, I dont buy it.

When set peices are scored, its more common that someone is free and in space rather then one player just outleaping and jumping up and over another.

Players get open or in space because one man loses another, with a zone that doesnt happen.

Though of course, you dont want an aerial threat working out a weak player in a zone and then exploiting it.

So, mixing one with another depending on the opponant makes sense to me.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:21 pm

The Franchise wrote:The supposed advantage you get when facing a zone on set pieces of getting a running start vs the opponant in a zone simply standing, I dont buy it.

When set peices are scored, its more common that someone is free and in space rather then one player just outleaping and jumping up and over another.

Players get open or in space because one man loses another, with a zone that doesnt happen.

Though of course, you dont want an aerial threat working out a weak player in a zone and then exploiting it.

So, mixing one with another depending on the opponant makes sense to me.

Pretty much how I feel on this subject.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:23 pm

It's also just so easy to mess up in a zone. Remember Puyol's flying header in the wc? they were playing zone and didn't account for Puyol who made a late run into the box.

Arsenal also plays zone and often get raped because one player screens the zone defender to allow the teammate behind to get an open look.

Just requires too much quick thinking and reacting. Very error-prone.

Btw, i'm not talking straight man-to-man. you're always going to have one player play zone in the near post and another in the back post on corners for example. But in the end, playing mostly man-to-man is much safer.

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:25 pm

In most situations, you should have a numerical advantage in the box, so the selection of these extra players for a zonal role is important, however even so, enough physical pressure can be legally applied to an opponent to render any finish they can apply so inaccurate as to be useless. Unless you're dealing with players with the turning circles of heavy trucks, you should have the concentration to check any dummy run by focussing on remaining goal side. I know I'm making it sound easier than it is, however if you're aware of where you are, you should have the discipline to allow them to move based upon your position from the goal.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next