Does anyone here take the club world championship seriously?

+20
Dnmac4
S32TABLANCA
LeSwagg James
pUsHa
futbol_bill
TheRedStag
Catracho
BarrileteCosmico
spanky
CBarca
zizzle
Lord Awesome
EarlyPrototype
The Franchise
rwo power
Nishankly
Ganso
OLpower
chinomaster182
jibers
24 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Does anyone here take the club world championship seriously? Empty Does anyone here take the club world championship seriously?

Post by jibers Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:47 am

I'm under the impression that most people here think that the cwc is a minor trophy. In many ways, the cwc is the successor if the intercontinental cup, which was, back in the days, the biggest trophy available. Now the argument that I see is that the other teams Re weaker and so it is a pointless trophy, so that means that the winner of the champions league is immediately considered the best n the world automatically? Both the south American and the European champions get a bye into the semi finals, which means that they are generally considered stronger than the other nations. Which sense as the final is almost contested by a team from either sides. That being said Barcelona lost to Internacional in 2006, so were they the best? And then Liverpool also lost in 05, where they the best? Barcelona struggled more against estudiantes in 09 Than any team in Europe bar Chelsea, so what does that say about the strength of south American teams? Now people will say that one game doesn't make a team the best, so does that mean the winner of the cl final isn't the best? The arguments I have heard to discredit a non European winner borders on arrogance by most fans. I think that is the problem. just like people come out and assume because their player is the good in the EPL that automatically makes them the best in the world.

Final point, if Barcelona Lose to Santos what would make them the best in the world? What argument would be used to discredit Santos? I have always maintained that if you don't have the trophies to back it up, then you are not the best. As far as I am concerned, if Barcelona lose, then they are NOT the best team in the world. [quote]
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Does anyone here take the club world championship seriously? Empty Re: Does anyone here take the club world championship seriously?

Post by chinomaster182 Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:11 am

I like the CWC because it is the only chance for other clubs to compare to the European champion.

I think you're seriously underestimating the concacaf champion Monterrey. Last Libertadores the match between Santos and CF America was decided by one fantastic Ganso goal and America has been very poor in the league since then. Also Mexican teams have consistently proven their salt in Libertadores reaching the finals twice.

Santos vs Monterrey will be the tightest game in the cup im sure.
chinomaster182
chinomaster182
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Does anyone here take the club world championship seriously? Empty Re: Does anyone here take the club world championship seriously?

Post by OLpower Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:13 am

Personnally, I don't take it seriously at all.

For me it's like the european super cup, the community shield, the trophée des champions etc....

It is more a gala match for the fans of the clubs playing than anything else. This is not a real tournament for me.
OLpower
OLpower
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:19 am

chinomaster182 wrote:I like the CWC because it is the only chance for other clubs to compare to the European champion.

I think you're seriously underestimating the concacaf champion Monterrey. Last Libertadores the match between Santos and CF America was decided by one fantastic Ganso goal and America has been very poor in the league since then. Also Mexican teams have consistently proven their salt in Libertadores reaching the finals twice.

Santos vs Monterrey will be the tightest game in the cup im sure.

Apologies if you assumed I as underestimating any of the teams in it. My point is what will happen if neither Barca and santos win the cwc? What right would anyone have to call them the best in the world? I'm of the view that most marketable and most watched doesn't equals best.

OLpower wrote:Personnally, I don't take it seriously at all.

For me it's like the european super cup, the community shield, the trophée des champions etc....

It is more a gala match for the fans of the clubs playing than anything else. This is not a real tournament for me.

Actually historically, the cup has always been taken seriously. You might view it as a gala match but I'm sure most teams dont. United took it seriously in 08, Barca in 09 and inter in 2010. I think it's a serious competition and to be there, you have to be the best in your respective continent.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:45 am

It is the most important trophy there is available for south American clubs....it's kind of stupid if people say that our clubs are way inferior since European clubs and SA clubs have the same amount of cwc trophies.I remember when people said that dinho's barca would destroy us in 06 and we ended up winning while raping puyol to death
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:59 am

Ganso wrote:It is the most important trophy there is available for south American clubs....it's kind of stupid if people say that our clubs are way inferior since European clubs and SA clubs have the same amount of cwc trophies.I remember when people said that dinho's barca would destroy us in 06 and we ended up winning while raping puyol to death

Yea I remember that match. And Barcelona were playing to win. But apparently they were still the best team in the world. Rolling Eyes
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by OLpower Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:01 am

Ganso wrote:It is the most important trophy there is available for south American clubs....it's kind of stupid if people say that our clubs are way inferior since European clubs and SA clubs have the same amount of cwc trophies.I remember when people said that dinho's barca would destroy us in 06 and we ended up winning while raping puyol to death

It's one match lost in a season.

That does not mean anything. If a south american club beat barcelona it does not mean they are better, that would just be like that last spanish club who has upset Barcelona.

This competition is worthless because it's one match (honestly only one match, the others before are useless), it is lost in the season, it has no prestige and nobody prepare for it.

It is nice to win it but nobody care if they lose. It like a national or continental super cup.
OLpower
OLpower
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:12 am

If Santos win of course barca will still be #1 but it would be extremely prestigious to win a trophy like that vs the best in the world.it's not like a cwc final is the same as a la la liga match anyway,Santos is better than most teams in that league
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:15 am

OLpower wrote:

That does not mean anything. If a south american club beat barcelona it does not mean they are better, that would just be like that last spanish club who has upset Barcelona.

This competition is worthless because it's one match (honestly only one match, the others before are useless), it is lost in the season, it has no prestige and nobody prepare for it.

It is nice to win it but nobody care if they lose. It like a national or continental super cup.

So is the champions league final. Im under the assumption you take it seriously, no?

So when Guardiola burst into tears after winning it in 09 I bet he was thinking, finally, Batcelona have won an exhibition trophy. Or Fergie was insane when he told United that they must win the tournament. Winner of the WC has the emblem on their jersey. Winner of the cwc also has the emblem.trophies are the only true objective ways to judge teams. As far as I'm concerned, no emblem, no party.

jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by OLpower Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:15 am

I admit that I don't know a lot about the level of santos but this competition is more like the confederation cup than the World Cup. And the confederation cup is not really prestigious.
OLpower
OLpower
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by OLpower Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:16 am

jibers wrote:
OLpower wrote:

So is the champions league final. Im under the assumption you take it seriously, no?

So when Guardiola burst into tears after winning it in 09 I bet he was thinking, finally, Batcelona have won an exhibition trophy. Or Fergie was insane when he told United that they must win the tournament. Winner of the WC has the emblem on their jersey. Winner of the cwc also has the emblem.trophies are the only true objective ways to judge teams. As far as I'm concerned, no emblem, no party.

The Champions league last the whole season and 13 matchs for the winner. You can't compare it.
OLpower
OLpower
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:20 am

OLpower wrote:
jibers wrote:
OLpower wrote:

The Champions league last the whole season and 13 matchs for the winner. You can't compare it.

To be in the cwc you have to win the champions league. I'm trying to be as objective as possible. Inter beat barca in 09/10 season yet barca were still being called the best. Why? Trophies are the only objective way of judging teams.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:32 am

I used to take it seriously when the South American teams competing were actually good, for a good while now they haven't been......

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:41 am

Arsenal fans do Razz
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:46 am

1.FC St.Pauli sure do. Very Happy

When Bayern München won the club world championship in 2002 and St.Pauli shortly thereafter won against Bayern, they printed this T-shirt:

Does anyone here take the club world championship seriously? Image_47015_1

"Weltpokalsiegerbesieger" = "club world champion winner beaters"
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:15 am

I dont think winning or losing it does or does not make the best in the world. Its only one game.

There is no measure of consistency needed.

Its different from the CL, because you have to prove yourself over and over again.

I think the CWC isnt a big enough test to prove anything.

I think however its crazy to suggest South American teams arent comparable quality wise to European counterparts, how many times in these games do they Europeans have to struggle or even lose for it to be obvious?

I mean, I still remember the grandpa version of Romario owning Manchester Utd...and it wasnt luck.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:23 am

Not really because the best team in the world is decided when the champions league is won.
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:42 am

EarlyPrototype wrote:Not really because the best team in the world is decided when the champions league is won.

Pretty much

Santos also this season has been pretty terrible, I fully expect Barcelona to steam roll them

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:31 pm

I expect Euro champs to ease up the gas a bit just so the players won't tire. I know I would implore such a stratagy. Use the B Team let the A team rest give the B team some competition.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:43 pm

Crimson wrote:I used to take it seriously when the South American teams competing were actually good, for a good while now they haven't been......
what?how are we not competitive enough,lol?
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:49 pm

Ganso wrote:
Crimson wrote:I used to take it seriously when the South American teams competing were actually good, for a good while now they haven't been......

Laughing We haven't been at Euro champ level ever since the Euros started buying our stars.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:56 pm

Lord Hispano wrote:
Ganso wrote:

Laughing We haven't been at Euro champ level ever since the Euros started buying our stars.
2010-SA and europe didnt face each other
2009-Estudiantes took barca to extra time. (barca won with 2 headers Suspect)
2008-Some team gave Man u hell,man u won by only 1-0
2007-Milan won vs boca
2006-Internacional won vs barca
2005-Sao Paulo won vs Liverpool

European teams dont roll over us,it is competitive.
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:00 pm

Ganso wrote:2010-SA and europe didnt face each other
2009-Estudiantes took barca to extra time. (barca won with 2 headers Suspect)
2008-Some team gave Man u hell,man u won by only 1-0
2007-Milan won vs boca
2006-Internacional won vs barca
2005-Sao Paulo won vs Liverpool

European teams dont roll over us,it is competitive.

Because the Euros chose to make it competive. Honestly, I can't remember a time when a Europe team has gone 100% + against a SA team. All I see is restrain from them now.

Which is why I look to Africa or Concacaf vs Comebol in the tourney.

Never said COMEBOL wasn't competative. Just not at level in terms of stature against the Euro champion.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:02 pm

Roberto Mancini once called it a friendly tournament and i cant agree more. Fifa, in its attempt to raise more money, have expanded the tournament by adding weaker teams so the whole thing became a joke except maybe for the final match

but anyway, even with the old format the trophy is not exactly a major honor, and eventhough its nice to have the title "world champion" it doesnt mean that much anyway
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by chinomaster182 Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:25 pm

I don't think its a joke of and idea to bring in the other champions, i think nobody thought the African club Mazembe would reach the finals last year but they did and now thats a part of their clubs history.

If the supposedly stronger teams are really stronger then why should they worry about the other teams?
chinomaster182
chinomaster182
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next