Forza
I Have Mono
JAY-Z
fatman123
rwo power
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Would BMG stand a chance against Barca? Empty Would BMG stand a chance against Barca?

Post by rwo power Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:15 am

Borussia Mönchengladbach is a classical counter team that sports a rock solid defense and can attack with lightning fast counters. They already managed to defeat Bayern twice in this season (home & away) and made
Bayern look not too good. Most of the match was played in the BMG half, but as soon as BMG got the ball, they were in front of the Bayern goal with lightning speed and scored with uncanny precision.

I wonder if they would possibly be able to use their strengths (very disciplined defending in two 4 player chains plus lightning fast counter attacks) to contain Barca, too. After all, going at Barca actively attacking is usually inviting disaster, but patient waiting for a chance to counter IMo could work not too bad. Ask Bayern Very Happy

It's such a pity that BMG will lose Marco Reus and Roman Neustädter after summer when they possibly get into the CL next season.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Would BMG stand a chance against Barca? Empty Re: Would BMG stand a chance against Barca?

Post by fatman123 Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:27 am

as good as they are i dont think theyd be able to withstand barca, sure they could frustrate them for the first half hour or so but in the end barca would be too much and win by a few goals
having said that, thats no insult to BMG, its not that theyre a poor side its just barca are the best in the world, and by a good measure too
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Would BMG stand a chance against Barca? Empty Re: Would BMG stand a chance against Barca?

Post by rwo power Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:33 am

Well, I do understand that it is highly unlikely to defeat Barca, but IMO the tactics used by Favre possibly stand a better chance than when a team tries to attack against Barca.

On Friday the disciplined defensive organisation of BMG really stood out - the question would indeed be how long they could hold it up against a superiour opponent like Barca. Against Bayern it worked pretty well on Friday, but of course Bayern wasn't showing a top performance either and the gifted goal by Neuer very much played into BMG's concept.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by JAY-Z Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:48 am

Where is Roman Neustädter going?

JAY-Z
JAY-Z
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:51 am

rwo power wrote:Well, I do understand that it is highly unlikely to defeat Barca, but IMO the tactics used by Favre possibly stand a better chance than when a team tries to attack against Barca.

yeah youre right, it would take quite the performance for BMG to beat barca but no doubt their solid defence and quick counters is probably the best way to play barca
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by I Have Mono Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:00 am

Rwo based off your paragraph I'm led to believe BMG should be the best team in Europe.

I Have Mono
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:05 am

rwo power wrote:Borussia Mönchengladbach is a classical counter team that sports a rock solid defense and can attack with lightning fast counters. They already managed to defeat Bayern twice in this season (home & away) and made
Bayern look not too good. Most of the match was played in the BMG half, but as soon as BMG got the ball, they were in front of the Bayern goal with lightning speed and scored with uncanny precision.

I wonder if they would possibly be able to use their strengths (very disciplined defending in two 4 player chains plus lightning fast counter attacks) to contain Barca, too. After all, going at Barca actively attacking is usually inviting disaster, but patient waiting for a chance to counter IMo could work not too bad. Ask Bayern Very Happy

It's such a pity that BMG will lose Marco Reus and Roman Neustädter after summer when they possibly get into the CL next season.

Maybe Leckie will get a shot (he's a striker on their bench)...

Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:18 am

aussie aussie aussie Thumbs up
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by la bestia negra Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:28 am

xavi will be decived :coffee:
la bestia negra
la bestia negra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:37 am

metinsk wrote:Where is Roman Neustädter going?
Schalke 04
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Hades Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:45 am

they would stand a chance against madrid for sure if they beat bayern , but we should come out on top in the end

but against barca, sadly no chance imo
Lord Hades
Lord Hades
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:47 pm

I don't think the idea of this thread is that 'Gladbach is so uber they'd stomp Barca just because they beat Bayern in a match where Bayern arguably sucked.

But the tactics and playing style - that's pretty much the perfect way to undo Barca, isn't it? They transition from defence to offence so quickly you pretty much can't press them.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:50 pm

No
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:52 pm

VivaStPauli wrote:I don't think the idea of this thread is that 'Gladbach is so uber they'd stomp Barca just because they beat Bayern in a match where Bayern arguably sucked.

But the tactics and playing style - that's pretty much the perfect way to undo Barca, isn't it? They transition from defence to offence so quickly you pretty much can't press them.

Faster transition = more counter-attacks = more chances. They do have a chance to score goals.

But can they stop Barcelona from scoring? hmm
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:54 pm

[quote="kiranr"]
VivaStPauli wrote:
But can they stop Barcelona from scoring? hmm

Pretty much not answearable by tactics, right? When Messi is having a brilliant day he'll probably run in between Lucio and Vidic and lob one over Neuer if need be.

Meaning to say: You can contain Barca all you want, on good days Messi will just score at least one goal, or play a brilliant through ball you can't do dick against.

But that doesn't mean you can't still outscore Barca.

Of course we all agree that Barca is the better team with the better players, and they'll most likely win at outscoring each other. But it's a nice thought-experiment to look at BMG and see almost-perfect counterattacking once again.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by che Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:56 pm

remember how germany was the perfect counterattacking team to stop spain at the world cup?

yeah...
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by The Messiah Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:58 pm

They wouldn't stand a chance against Madrid or Barcelona since players like Badstuber are not around and Right Back Boateng and a Mediocre old out-dated coach.
The Messiah
The Messiah
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Chelsea

http://pose-grpp.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:03 pm

butthurt bayern fan lol
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:09 pm

VivaStPauli wrote:
Pretty much not answearable by tactics, right? When Messi is having a brilliant day he'll probably run in between Lucio and Vidic and lob one over Neuer if need be.

Meaning to say: You can contain Barca all you want, on good days Messi will just score at least one goal, or play a brilliant through ball you can't do dick against.

But that doesn't mean you can't still outscore Barca.

Of course we all agree that Barca is the better team with the better players, and they'll most likely win at outscoring each other. But it's a nice thought-experiment to look at BMG and see almost-perfect counterattacking once again.

They would have to stop Barcelona from moving the ball around fast. If they can do that, and if Iniesta is injured, and considering how all of you are saying they are the perfect counter-attacking team, they can shock Barcelona.

But in a two-legged tie (as i am assuming they will meet in a CL match), their chances of progressing will be slim.
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:10 pm

With Badstuber being arguably one of the better defenders of the Bundesliga this season and Heynckes having been a great coach for ages, the butthurt emanating from Idris posts is beginning to give me hemorrhoids.

Bayerns back line is, on paper, one of the better ones in Europe, and at any rate, if attackers like Reus run at your defence the way they did in the recent match against BMG, the fault really lies in midfield for not preventing those runs, and in attack for losing the ball too quickly.

If you have Reus, Hanke and Herrmann running at you full speed already, what are you supposed to do? You dive for a 50/50 slide tackle and if you miss you're f*cked.

To pin sh*t like that on defenders is retarded, especially considering Buyten and Badstuber both had around 80% successful tackles. :coffee:
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Barca are used to teams parking the bus

Barca do worse when teams pressure them at their throat like Espanyol and Bilbao

if you think Parking the bus will be the go to formation then youre mighty wrong
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:12 pm

kiranr wrote:They would have to stop Barcelona from moving the ball around fast. If they can do that, and if Iniesta is injured, and considering how all of you are saying they are the perfect counter-attacking team, they can shock Barcelona.

But in a two-legged tie (as i am assuming they will meet in a CL match), their chances of progressing will be slim.

Sadly, that's where BMG lack. They got a decent midfield, but nothing special. I think they could counter-attack brilliantly, but I don't see them taking the ball off Xavi or Iniesta.

For that you need one of the Bender twins. Those f*ckers are probably the next big thing in defensive DMs. They're like the lovechildren of Mark van Bommel and Bastian Schweinsteiger, those two.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:13 pm

halamadrid2 wrote:Barca are used to teams parking the bus

Barca do worse when teams pressure them at their throat like Espanyol and Bilbao

if you think Parking the bus will be the go to formation then youre mighty wrong

It's not about really parking the bus, though. BMG are more flexible than that. They defend with two lines of four, and defend deep, yes, but not Italy-deep. They still leave themselves open enough so they can counter quickly.

Think less catenaccio and more Germany after going 1-0 up at the 2010 WC.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:16 pm

Counter attacks dont hurt Barca since they recover really quickly with the million players they got in midfield...

but what does really hurt them tho is their average defenders mistake and teams usually capitalize on that when they pressure them

never seen BMG other than highlights tbh not gonna lie but my sense tells me that nah they dont have a chance
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:18 pm

VivaStPauli wrote:
Sadly, that's where BMG lack. They got a decent midfield, but nothing special. I think they could counter-attack brilliantly, but I don't see them taking the ball off Xavi or Iniesta.

For that you need one of the Bender twins. Those f*ckers are probably the next big thing in defensive DMs. They're like the lovechildren of Mark van Bommel and Bastian Schweinsteiger, those two.

Man, you German fans talk about these players and i never get to see them. I have not seen Dortmund or Lever.

Oh well, atleast i will watch one of them in the CL match now.
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next