Messi breaks the UCL knockout phase goal record @ 24.

+27
Lord Awesome
ronalessi
black mamba
BarrileteCosmico
barca 2011
nichabr
Zealous
Khaled
Sushi Master
harhar11
C.Marchisio #8
Great Leader Sprucenuce
StevieRayVaughan
Albiceleste
S32TABLANCA
billionmillion
The Franchise
Die Borussen
RealGunner
Mr Nick09
stunt
free_cat
Baraa
izzy
Lex
halamadrid2
Harmonica
31 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Messi breaks the UCL knockout phase goal record @ 24. - Page 2 Empty Re: Messi breaks the UCL knockout phase goal record @ 24.

Post by The Franchise Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:27 pm

Saetablanca wrote:Well obviously, the recent success of Barca has something to do with it. But the other European teams havent been as good in past years. I guess Barca were lucky they only had Mou's Inter as real rivals in the past few years. Laughing

Yeah, very lucky lol

Scoring against Man Utd et al isnt worth anything.

Make all the excuses in the world, Messi has scored at 24 already caught up a mid 30's Raul. I dont know why you feel the need to try and belittle Messi by overrating Raul's goals.

The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Messi breaks the UCL knockout phase goal record @ 24. - Page 2 Empty Re: Messi breaks the UCL knockout phase goal record @ 24.

Post by Guest Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:31 pm

This only goes to prove to me that defenders now are absolute shite compared to those of years gone by.

Honestly this generation of defenders in current football is the worst I have seen since I started watching football over 20 years ago and Messi's/Rooney's record in the UCL only go to prove that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:39 pm

Crimson wrote:This only goes to prove to me that defenders now are absolute shite compared to those of years gone by.

Honestly this generation of defenders in current football is the worst I have seen since I started watching football over 20 years ago and Messi's/Rooney's record in the UCL only go to prove that.
Mr. Analyst making again high-quality conclusions from the available data.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Albiceleste Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:43 pm

What an achievement. He has the record of a veteran at 24.

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:44 pm

jiopsi wrote:
Crimson wrote:This only goes to prove to me that defenders now are absolute shite compared to those of years gone by.

Yeah, like when he proved that Ronaldo is as creative as Messi when Messi had twice as much through balls than Ronaldo. Very Happy
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:48 pm

free_cat wrote:
jiopsi wrote:

Yeah, like when he proved that Ronaldo is as creative as Messi when Messi had twice as much through balls than Ronaldo. Very Happy

Still only created the same amount of chances for their team mates.

Throughball =/= chance created.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:50 pm

So are the Barcelona fans saying the defenders of today are better than those that Raul and Sheva faced in their prime?

lmao....

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:53 pm

Crimson wrote:
free_cat wrote:
jiopsi wrote:

Through balls needs the absolute highest amount of creativity, key pass can be made by one meter back pass that your team mate takes a shot.

Last edited by jiopsi on Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:00 am; edited 2 times in total
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by StevieRayVaughan Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:53 pm

This Thumbs up

StevieRayVaughan
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:53 pm

Crimson wrote:
free_cat wrote:
jiopsi wrote:

If I'm not wrong, the "key pass" statistic, means a pass that ends in a shot, right?

Pass that ends in shot =/= chance created.

Through ball = almost certainly chance created.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:54 pm

jiopsi wrote:
Crimson wrote:
free_cat wrote:
jiopsi wrote:

Through balls need the absolute highest amount of creativity, key pass can be made by one meter back pass that your team mate takes a shot.

Being Madrid, that shot is most likely taken from 25 metres away from goal.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:56 pm

Crimson wrote:So are the Barcelona fans saying the defenders of today are better than those that Raul and Sheva faced in their prime?

lmao....

I'm saying they are not worse.

Messi was already ripping defences apart when Raul or Sheva were in their prime, for your information. So barely valid argument. It's not like they are players from 20 years difference, they played in the same time.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:57 pm

Crimson wrote:So are the Barcelona fans saying the defenders of today are better than those that Raul and Sheva faced in their prime?

lmao....
Wait, you're actually saying that defenders were better then? Laughing
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:57 pm

lmao....

Didnt know individual centerbacks are the only relevant parts of a "defence".

And didnt Messi twice destroy Man Utd, the same Man Utd who have (or came a game away from I cant remember) the Champions League Clean sheet record.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by StevieRayVaughan Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:01 am

The way I see Messi fans in this forum is that they remind me of all the big religions. They believe in it, but no...they are not happy at that, they feel the need to make everyone else a believer. They constantly praise it, and bash anyone else who has a different opinion. Their delusion doesn't allow them to see a neutral perspective. They are stuck in a cycle, praise him, criticize others religions (players) to get rid of the insecurity, and bash the people who dont believe in it.

StevieRayVaughan
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:01 am

LOL @ some Madrid fans looking for excuses because Messi has surpassed Raul Laughing

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:04 am

free_cat wrote:

lmao....

Messi was already ripping defences apart when Raul or Sheva were in their prime, for your information. So barely valid argument. It's not like they are players from 20 years difference, they played in the same time.

No he wasn't......

Go look at his goals scored ffs

I haven't seen any defenders that could lay claim to being considered some of the best ever since Messi ramped up his scoring in the UCl over the last 3 years.

Those defenders were ending their careers or way past their prime.

I said the exact same thing about Ronaldo's and Messi's goal scoring exploits of late.

Defenders of today are not only not as good but are given less room for error when facing forwards compared to years gone by.

Back to top Go down

Post by Albiceleste Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:06 am

In 10 years, we'll say that the next GOAT didn't have to deal with the likes of Ramos Vidic or TSilva Very Happy

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:07 am

Albiceleste wrote:In 10 years, we'll say that the next GOAT didn't have to deal with the likes of Ramos Vidic or TSilva Very Happy

lmao I don't think so

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:10 am

I dont know if Crim realises this but good defending is a team effort and not just the individual defenders in the back 4.......

By saying Messi and Ronaldo score as many goals as they do because of the poor defenders you are also stating the cover that the forwards and midfielders provide is piss poor aswell......

I personally think your just enjoying a healthy dose of nostalgia.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:15 am

Team defending > individual centerback ability

Who are these great defensive centerbacks anyway? Nesta? Ronaldinho abused him in his prime.

Terry? Dinho did that too.

Cannavero? The almighty flop in La Liga then great again on his Serie A return.

Who else?
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by C.Marchisio #8 Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:16 am

Albiceleste wrote:In 10 years, we'll say that the next GOAT didn't have to deal with the likes of Ramos,Chiellini Vidic or TSilva Very Happy
Fixed

Btw on topic : And i cant realize that so many people hate Messi.They are trying to deny Messi's skills and his success.Thats unbelivable.
C.Marchisio #8
C.Marchisio #8
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:16 am

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:I dont know if Crim realises this but good defending is a team effort and not just the individual defenders in the back 4.......

By saying Messi and Ronaldo score as many goals as they do because of the poor defenders you are also stating the cover that the forwards and midfielders provide is piss poor aswell......

I personally think your just enjoying a healthy dose of nostalgia.

No shit sherlock
But the fact of the matter is defenders are no where near as good as they were, no more Sanchis, Hierro's, Cannavaro's, Maldini's, Nesta's, Stam's, Makelele's and Viera's

I could name a dozen more, the quality is not there any more.

No DM's today could you list as some of the best ever in the history of the sport and argue it clearly, same goes for the defenders. Where as you could with Maka and Viera.

Sure defending as a team does work but it's simply not the same thing.

I sometimes wonder how long people have been watching football here.

Back to top Go down

Post by harhar11 Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:29 am

Crimson wrote:
free_cat wrote:

lmao....

No he wasn't......

Go look at his goals scored ffs

I haven't seen any defenders that could lay claim to being considered some of the best ever since Messi ramped up his scoring in the UCl over the last 3 years.

Those defenders were ending their careers or way past their prime.

I said the exact same thing about Ronaldo's and Messi's goal scoring exploits of late.

Defenders of today are not only not as good but are given less room for error when facing forwards compared to years gone by.

goals =/= proof that someone ripped a defence apart.

dont belive that messi could rip apart some of the best defence of raul an hevas time? watch chelsea - barca 2006, where a 18 year old messi, without scoring a goal or assisted a goal, humiliated the best defence of that time, trained by the most defensive coach.

HereĀ“s a link

harhar11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:35 am

Defenses aren't as important as before. Focus is mostly in midfield now. Most teams employ 5 man midfields and lone strikers. Pressing is common.

I agree defenders aren't as good as before but you also have to see how the game has changed. Most great players seem to be focused in the midfield position. Nevermind fullbacks who are very, very scarse nowadays.

Pure DMs also don't exist anymore. You have to have some sort of technical ability to suceed. I can't think of any top team employing a pure DM week after week. It's always a more defensive oriented CM, and a more creative one paired up. And a guy in the "hole".
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:48 am

Sushi Master wrote:Defenses aren't as important as before. Focus is mostly in midfield now. Most teams employ 5 man midfields and lone strikers. Pressing is common.

I agree defenders aren't as good as before but you also have to see how the game has changed. Most great players seem to be focused in the midfield position. Nevermind fullbacks who are very, very scarse nowadays.

Pure DMs also don't exist anymore. You have to have some sort of technical ability to suceed. I can't think of any top team employing a pure DM week after week. It's always a more defensive oriented CM, and a more creative one paired up. And a guy in the "hole".

True the game has changed alot

But I just don't see these kind of goal scoring exploits happening 10 years ago.

Would Ronaldo score 40 in the league against Super Depor, Valencia and Betis if he were playing 10 years ago. I highly doubt it.

You look at where Rooney sits on the ladder of goals scored in knockout rounds as well and although I rate him a very good player, like Messi who I can say is the best player going around atm. I do think the pure quality in defence has dropped significantly.

Defenders are also I believe at more of a disadvantage now, every 50/50 call seems to go the way of the attacker and you cannot get away with nearly as much as you used too.

Rooney only needs 4-5 goals to pass Sheva and Raul as well, next people would be saying he is the second best player ever to play the UCL? I feel that's wrong.

Just my opinion and I realise it's not a popular one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next