Sushi Master
RED
Doc
Great Leader Sprucenuce
S
Blue Barrett
12 posters

Go down

Champions' League Revenue To Triple Starting Next Season Empty Champions' League Revenue To Triple Starting Next Season

Post by Blue Barrett Tue May 22, 2012 4:35 pm

Next season is the first of a new three-year broadcast cycle for Uefa and the broadcast element of the competition’s revenues which, including sponsorships, currently total €1.1 billion (£850 million) — will at least double.
That could mean the €51.025 million earned by last season’s champions, Barcelona, would become €100 million in the 2012-3 to 2014-5 cycle. Indeed, with England’s broadcast market generating more cash for English clubs than their continental competitors, the impact could be even greater here.

When Real Madrid reached the Champions League semi-finals in 2010-11 they earned €39.3 million; Chelsea, despite only progressing to the quarter-finals, earned €44.5 million.

Yet even those returns will be dwarfed from next season according to indications from the 100-plus territorial broadcast deals Uefa has already agreed. “We have not finished yet but we have at least achieved treble-digit growth,” Uefa Events’ chief executive, David Taylor, said. “At the top end of football when you have a property as valuable as the Champions League, broadcasters want it.

“The financial crisis affects different sectors differently but at the top end of football the model is very robust.” Uefa’s success in negotiating improved broadcast incomes will assist Champions League clubs’ efforts in achieving break-even for Financial Fair Play purposes.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/champions-league/9276189/Champions-League-final-2012-Chelsea-or-Tottenham-stand-to-lose-out-on-80m-Europe-bonanza.html

So spuds just missed out on a MASSIVE increase in CL revenue. Laughing

Good news for the clubs involved though, especially next year's winner. Thumbs up
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Champions' League Revenue To Triple Starting Next Season Empty Re: Champions' League Revenue To Triple Starting Next Season

Post by S Tue May 22, 2012 4:51 pm

Maybe this is a bit off-topic.Apart from no club having successfully defended its CL trophy,since the inception of the New Champions League, different clubs from the same country havent won consecutive CL's as well.

So hopefully we see this trend continue.Maybe its the turn of an Italian Club or German one to win it again although i see the former being very unlikely.

Anyways i just cant wait for Juve to compete in CL again.I dont care about the results i just want to see Juventus in the CL again.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Champions' League Revenue To Triple Starting Next Season Empty Re: Champions' League Revenue To Triple Starting Next Season

Post by S Tue May 22, 2012 4:59 pm

Since 2004-05 season onwards we're noticing a trend here.

England(2005)-Spain(2006)-Italy(2007)-England(2008)-Spain(2009)-Italy(2010)-Spain(2011)-England(2012)-2013 ?
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue May 22, 2012 5:03 pm

Kind of OT but i think the difference between CL and EL revenue is getting far too large and becoming almost pointless..... there needs to be a reason for clubs to show the respect it fully deserves....

Maybe winners of EL gets a CL spot?

The mere fact you get 50m+ for finishing 8th in the PL and 8m for winning the EL is nothing short of ridiculous Laughing
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Tue May 22, 2012 5:28 pm

No Mole. The thing is EL does not generate even 1/20th of the TV revenue CL generates. The there is a HUGE GAP in the number of viewers and that's why the revenue is that different.

Tell me another league where the 8th placed club earns that much. It has to do with the premiere league's TV revenue too. Its the most watched league in the world.

And lastly, NO WAY the EL winner gets a CL spot. So what happens in a case where the 6th placed team wins the CL and the 8th placed team wins the EL? You're going to knock 3rd AND 4th from CL spots? Doesn't work.
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue May 22, 2012 6:31 pm

Only way I could see the Europa League becoming really relevant is if they go back having only the league winner and runners' up qualify for the UCL. That way, one would see some of the more prominent teams competing thus raising viewership and prestige.

But that shit ain't happening so Europa is stuck where they are Sad
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue May 22, 2012 6:41 pm

Barrettinator wrote:No Mole. The thing is EL does not generate even 1/20th of the TV revenue CL generates. The there is a HUGE GAP in the number of viewers and that's why the revenue is that different.

I understand that but the revenue isnt as drastic as the payouts show......

For example you get more for getting KO'ed in the group stages of the CL than you do for winning the EL....

Surely theres a happy medium somewhere where CL remains fruitful for every club alive and EL gets enough revenue so it makes it a worthwhile and viable choice for clubs to take seriously...

Because atm hardly anyone takes it seriously and considering the money involved it is hardly suprising....
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Tue May 22, 2012 6:42 pm

Feel really gutted for Spurs, they just have no luck whatsoever.

Levy must be crying right now lol.

RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Tue May 22, 2012 6:46 pm

Germany took it seriously and now they have an extra CL spot for another club to spend that delicious CL money on.

Plus, they like winning or something.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue May 22, 2012 6:52 pm

Sushi Master wrote:Germany took it seriously and now they have an extra CL spot for another club to spend that delicious CL money on.

Not saying it shouldnt be taken seriously in its current state but i do feel there needs to be more incentive to take EL seriously as its clear most teams dont atm.

As i already said you get more money for finishing 4th in CL group stage than you do for winning the EL that surely is wrong no?
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by JAY-Z Tue May 22, 2012 6:53 pm

When Roma get back to the CL. Money all over:D
JAY-Z
JAY-Z
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by che Tue May 22, 2012 6:59 pm

the rich get richer...
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Tue May 22, 2012 7:04 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
Sushi Master wrote:Germany took it seriously and now they have an extra CL spot for another club to spend that delicious CL money on.

Not saying it shouldnt be taken seriously in its current state but i do feel there needs to be more incentive to take EL seriously as its clear most teams dont atm.

As i already said you get more money for finishing 4th in CL group stage than you do for winning the EL that surely is wrong no?
Well, maybe to the semi big clubs 8m ain't shit and they'd rather concentrate on their own leagues... but again, these are semi big clubs.

What about the underdog teams who play in other countries not in the "big" leagues and to who 8m would seem like a decent sum, or they play simply out of the fact they want to make a name for themselves? Probably explains why so many big teams flop in the EL while the underdogs rule supreme.

I agree a little more money wouldn't hurt, but to use "we can't bother, not enough prize money" ain't an excuse when you're on a multi hundred million dollar budget.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Tue May 22, 2012 7:38 pm

Champions' League Revenue To Triple Starting Next Season ImgFlorentino%20P%C3%A9rez3
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Tue May 22, 2012 8:22 pm

The DFB-Pokal winner in Germany gets a whopping 2.5 mio Euros. And guess what - the clubs here take it pretty serious still. I think many clubs in other leagues should rethink their stance - playing for some cup - UEFA or whatever - should be about the honour, too, not just about how much money one earns.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Tue May 22, 2012 8:25 pm

Europa League isn't even broadcast in the U.S AFAIK...Its definitely not on Fox Soccer

CL on the other hand is beginning to be broadcast on basic cable channels

The Champs League is well on its way to destroying football...Its going to make a European "Superleague" a necessity since the gap between top teams and lower teams in each league is only going to increase
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue May 22, 2012 8:27 pm

Your right RWO it should be but quite frankly its obvious it isnt.....

Theres too many clubs who work so hard to qualify for it and when they get there they just play thier reserves....

Why? theres many reasons but i believe one reason is the ridiculous difference in money you get for qualifying for the CL compared to the EL.

I get there should be a parity because of the obvious difference between revenue between the two competitions but i believe the difference is far too large.

I used to love it when i was younger when both competitions where taken seriously.... now it seems like its nothing more than a after thought.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Tue May 22, 2012 8:41 pm

Would be the best for football if some of CL's money would get distributed outside the competition.

Like, 80% to Champions League, 20% to Europa League.

Or if you'd really like to get drastic:

30% CL

10% EL

60% distributed evenly between every club that plays in a league which is represented in those two tournaments. So basically all European clubs in their country's top division would get a small amount of CL-generated money.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Tue May 22, 2012 8:42 pm

@Mole

Well, if you'd have seen how much the Hannover guys were happy they made it to the EL - they really celebrated each match. I guess in Germany we are fortunate that all EL matches with German teams are broadcast live here, and even though it is not as prestigious as the CL, the teams do get similar support as they are fighting for UEFA coefficient points, too.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue May 22, 2012 8:57 pm

rwo power wrote:@Mole

Well, if you'd have seen how much the Hannover guys were happy they made it to the EL - they really celebrated each match. I guess in Germany we are fortunate that all EL matches with German teams are broadcast live here, and even though it is not as prestigious as the CL, the teams do get similar support as they are fighting for UEFA coefficient points, too.

Not really aimed at the German teams as its clear they take it seriously.....

More the Italian, English, French etc etc that dont seem to take it seriously and often are playing reserves in a big European competition quite frankly disappoints me.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down