Who is the most consistent top player in the world?

+26
DuringTheWar
Kev
fatman123
Zealous
Lord Hades
Harmonica
larisano
guest7
harhar11
jibers
The Sanchez
Kick
FennecFox7
billionmillion
Great Leader Sprucenuce
RealGunner
Die Borussen
RedOranje
Swanhends
_SuperFloren_
goonbrain
II Capitano
Le Samourai
Adit
Yeezus
BarrileteCosmico
30 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Who is the most consistent top player in the world? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who is the most consistent top player in the world?

Post by Harmonica Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:15 am

Messi, 82 goals + 40 assists @ 69 games for club+nt, in less than 10 months time. Missed only one game in La Liga, because accumulated yellows, one game in UCL because it was pointless, and two games in CDR, because it was against 4th division team. Doesn't really have bad games in other players standards, only few on his own.

Says it all really.

Last edited by jiopsi on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:23 am; edited 4 times in total

Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Who is the most consistent top player in the world? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who is the most consistent top player in the world?

Post by The Sanchez Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:18 am

Fontas... :coffee: Slow, out of position, waste of time, every time he was on the field. Thats consistency! :coffee:
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Hades Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:30 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:
Se7en wrote:Ronaldo imo. Scoring against every team in La Liga is enough proof for me that he has been the most consistent this season.
Except that when he doesn't score his contribution is null and fans start asking for him to be sold. A consistent player will be good even if he doesn't score.

yes but the fact is he does score most of the times thus his high level of consistency.. btw it isnt entirely true that without scoring his return is null, specially this season. there have been so many matches where he may not have scored b ut has created chances , and has been very dangerous with his pace n long shots
Lord Hades
Lord Hades
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by harhar11 Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:46 am

Lord Hades wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:
Se7en wrote:Ronaldo imo. Scoring against every team in La Liga is enough proof for me that he has been the most consistent this season.
Except that when he doesn't score his contribution is null and fans start asking for him to be sold. A consistent player will be good even if he doesn't score.

yes but the fact is he does score most of the times thus his high level of consistency.. btw it isnt entirely true that without scoring his return is null, specially this season. there have been so many matches where he may not have scored b ut has created chances , and has been very dangerous with his pace n long shots

Then how, as BC already explained, in most of the games where has not scored the real madrid fans wanted to sell him?

---

Easily Messi. This season Messi was Barca and he did a really admirable job carrying us throughout the season with all the setbaxka(injuries, poor form of other players). I generally dont care about stat, but that stat that showed that we would finish 6th without Messis goals/assist really shows how big of a one-man team we were and how consistent Messi was..

harhar11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:57 am

Messi was only consistent at the Nou Camp so no.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by harhar11 Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:11 pm

Zealous wrote:Messi was only consistent at the Nou Camp so no.

thats why he scored 15 goals away from home and thats without counting his assist tally.

harhar11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:22 pm

None of those 15 came when Barca had a realistic shot at the league so still no tbh.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by harhar11 Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:31 pm

Zealous wrote:None of those 15 came when Barca had a realistic shot at the league so still no tbh.

He only scored 3 away goals after the Real Madrid game...

and once again Messi, unlike cristiano ronaldo, is not jsut about goals. Against Valencia when we drew 2-2 made a brilliant pass to Villa to win the game, but Villa missed. I lost count how many times something like that that has happend this season when we were in bad situations. So just because he didnt score doesnt mean that he didnt play well...

harhar11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:49 pm

Lol you guys lost the league in jan/feb and your away form was the reason why.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:00 pm

Frank Lampard :bow:
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:21 pm

I reckon this year, Casillas deserves to be recognised as the best and most consistent. Off the top of my head, I cannot think of one instance where he could've done better or needs to be blamed for. Usually, he has a couple of blunders against minion teams when we're 4-0 up every season, but this year, I can't even recollect that happening. Every goal conceived was extremely difficult to save, while he's saved countless extremely difficult shots on goals, especially in key moments in big games.

In essence, he had almost the perfect season, individually.

Ronaldo could've been the player who thoroughly deserves to be regarded as the best and most consistent, but he has had less than ideal moments throughout the season, especially his performances against Barca at the Bernabeu. However, scoring against every team he's faced in the season surely merits him more praise. Considering the strong "competition" he faces against Benzema, Higuain, Kaka, Di Maria, Ozil etc in regards to scoring, his statistics are even more impressive. Scoring twice against Bayern in the decider, scoring the winner against Barca at Camp Nou, scoring the only goal against Rayo, scoring three and assisting one against Atletico away... these moments defined our season. In the most crucial of stages, Ronaldo was there when we needed him. In terms of big game performances, I think it's safe to say Ronaldo is not a big game choker.

Messi, on the other hand, IS Barca's attack. When Barca attacks well, Messi deserves all the glory, but if not, Messi deserves all the blame. Barca's struggle in away games during the first leg of the season boiled down to one cause- Messi's performances. In the most important moments in a few games over the year, Messi just did not step up. Missing penalties against Sevilla, Chelsea, losing possession that leads to goals, selfish playing in many circumstances... But, his overall statistics are simply amazing. 72 goals is no small achievement, but it would've been more awe inspiring if they were distributed more evenly. Also, ask yourself this- if Eto'o and Henry and Ronaldinho in their prime were playing, would Messi have these statistics?
Kev
Kev
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:02 pm

Messi not performing in away games? Very Happy First half of the season refs carried Madrid, everyone knows that. Penalty stats were in christmas something like 10-2, when the fair number would have been something like 10-12.

Here is one example Messi not performing:

Perfect example. culminating Messi, and La Liga, luck, referees etc.

First game against Valencia (away) 2-2 and Messi didn't score, yet

- Assisted both Barcelona's goals (isn't only about scoring)
- Should have had 2 penalties by his own individual effort, and second yellow and red card for Valencian player. (referees and luck in the first half of the season)
- At last moments gave Villa 1on1 to give Barca all three points (bad finishing)

Who is the most consistent top player in the world? - Page 2 Di-WSDV
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:12 pm

I'm sorry but Messi has been the best player by a mile. all these threads are just some sort of way of trying to get others to say Ronaldo Cassilas etc. EVeryone knows Messi is the best, hell Di Maria and Ronaldo's bum buddy Marcelo even admitted it. If the Balon dor is objective, which it sint Rolling Eyes There would be no competition. 70+ goals has NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE IN HISTORY. All the other achievemnts have happened before. Again Casilas desreves nothing, the balon dor is not some sort of sentimental award, it is for the best.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:30 pm

jibers wrote:There would be no competition. 70+ goals has NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE IN HISTORY. All the other achievemnts have happened before.

I wouldnt give too much importance to a stat, ronaldo scored against every team in la liga last season, i dont think that HAPPENED BEFORE IN HISTORY*, in some ways i think that is a more impressive stat as it shows it wasnt to some extent all stat padding against cannon fodder. Ronaldo also set a goalscoring record in la liga last season that hadnt happened before, still didnt win. I said before though there is still a long way to go and as messi didnt win the champions league or la liga it is still possible for someone else to win. If iniesta puts in consistent great performances until december i would give it to him, considering his performance in winning the euros and seeing as he was MOTM in the copa final for barcelona. But at the moment messi is still the favourite imo

*i may be wrong about that, i dont recall it happening before though
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by alexjanosik Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:54 pm

Messi and its not close imo.
Nobody has been as consistently good as him for the past 4-5 seasons.
Xavi and Alves also deserev a mention.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by guest7 Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:16 pm

Diego Armando Maradona wrote:
jibers wrote:There would be no competition. 70+ goals has NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE IN HISTORY. All the other achievemnts have happened before.

I wouldnt give too much importance to a stat, ronaldo scored against every team in la liga last season, i dont think that HAPPENED BEFORE IN HISTORY*, in some ways i think that is a more impressive stat as it shows it wasnt to some extent all stat padding against cannon fodder. Ronaldo also set a goalscoring record in la liga last season that hadnt happened before, still didnt win. I said before though there is still a long way to go and as messi didnt win the champions league or la liga it is still possible for someone else to win. If iniesta puts in consistent great performances until december i would give it to him, considering his performance in winning the euros and seeing as he was MOTM in the copa final for barcelona. But at the moment messi is still the favourite imo

Yeah, it hasn't happened ever. And Messi has been playing in La Liga his whole career, so he has had plenty of chances to break that record himself. Too bad he was inconsistent as f*ck this season, he didn't start scoring against away teams til the league was over ffs.
guest7
guest7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by alexjanosik Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:22 pm

Se7en wrote:
Diego Armando Maradona wrote:

Yeah, it hasn't happened ever. And Messi has been playing in La Liga his whole career, so he has had plenty of chances to break that record himself. Too bad he was inconsistent as f*ck this season, he didn't start scoring against away teams til the league was over ffs.

He wasnt inconsistent.Unlike CR,Messi doesnt need to score to have a great game.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Hades Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:43 pm

harhar11 wrote:
Lord Hades wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:

Then how, as BC already explained, in most of the games where has not scored the real madrid fans wanted to sell him?

---

Easily Messi. This season Messi was Barca and he did a really admirable job carrying us throughout the season with all the setbaxka(injuries, poor form of other players). I generally dont care about stat, but that stat that showed that we would finish 6th without Messis goals/assist really shows how big of a one-man team we were and how consistent Messi was..

dude as you may have realized , madrid fans have always been very demanding and some of them are downright bufoons , changing their stance at every oppurtunity.. dont confuse them with the general fanbase please
Lord Hades
Lord Hades
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by harhar11 Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:20 pm

Lord Hades wrote:
harhar11 wrote:
Lord Hades wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:

---

dude as you may have realized , madrid fans have always been very demanding and some of them are downright bufoons , changing their stance at every oppurtunity.. dont confuse them with the general fanbase please

Its not just the fans on this forum. The fans in spanish forum say the same thing. Heck there is a video on the fans at the santiago bernabeu after the 3-1 loss to barca and everyone wanted ronaldo out..

harhar11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by billionmillion Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:06 pm

Ronaldo was so consistent that 2-3 times we had "Sell Ronaldo" threads, "Team plays better without Ronaldo" threads, "he ruins our passing" comments. Messi didnt have any of these, he was off form 2 games in december after international break, beside that he got all the praise until may nobody even put CR in messi level. then suddenly a goal against barcelona and CR vs Messi started again. it became even bigger after messi missed penalty against Chelsea. so people now think messi and ronaldo performed in same level in reality nobody even came close to messi

and people who say messi beat ronaldo at scoring after competition finished, well until the last clasico messi had 65 goals 28 assists and ronaldo 56 goals 12 assists, if even messi didnt play his last 4 games ronaldo wouldnot catch him. so stop this nonsense. they both played their last 4 games, they both played to score goals it was head to head competition. ronaldo was so desperate to beat messi that he even ruined higuain's chance to score a goal so its not like messi played and ronaldo benched. in his last game he was trying to score 5 goals

and you say ronaldo scored every la liga team, so messi also scored against every la liga team except 2. but he assisted against them so messi also scored or assisted against every la liga team

and i didnt even mention "Penaldo" thread, many times penalties saved his life when he had no goals. but i see everybody forgot about this now when you ask about messi they only remember his penalty miss against chelsea, when you ask about ronaldo they remember his goals vs barcelona hmm
billionmillion
billionmillion
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:36 pm

We have "sell ronaldo" threads because we are very harsh on our players. How about benzema, when we were debating whether to sell him? It has nothing to do with goals. He had a dip in form, and not only did his goals go, his overall play dipped too. It's not hard to understand.

The thing is we seem to think just because messi is the superior player, ronaldo is shit. It's fine that messi is better, because he is. But when you start comparing ronaldo to one-dimensional players like gomez and huntellar, you need a reality check.
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by larisano Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:23 am

casillas getting the b d'or would be for sentimental reasons more than anything. He had a great season but get real, Andres Iniesta was voted Best Player of the Euros, and that should any chances for Casillas performance wise,tbh. Even Zoff said it,' Casillas is great, but Messi is an artist.'
larisano
larisano
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Geo Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:44 am

Don't worry Phil..
I still remember you.. as the most consistent player, since 2002!

Who is the most consistent top player in the world? - Page 2 628x471
Geo
Geo
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Hades Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:42 am

harhar11 wrote:
Lord Hades wrote:
harhar11 wrote:
Lord Hades wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:

---

Its not just the fans on this forum. The fans in spanish forum say the same thing. Heck there is a video on the fans at the santiago bernabeu after the 3-1 loss to barca and everyone wanted ronaldo out..

everyone? morel ike the immature babies who cant stand a loss without blaming 50 people. . he had one bad game and a couple of ordinary games in that period , i mean nobody is god you know , consistent doesnt mean that you never have a bad game ..
Lord Hades
Lord Hades
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sanchez Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:18 am

Giggity5313 wrote:We have "sell ronaldo" threads because we are very harsh on our players. How about benzema, when we were debating whether to sell him? It has nothing to do with goals. He had a dip in form, and not only did his goals go, his overall play dipped too. It's not hard to understand.

The thing is we seem to think just because messi is the superior player, ronaldo is shit. It's fine that messi is better, because he is. But when you start comparing ronaldo to one-dimensional players like gomez and huntellar, you need a reality check.
Comment of the year... :coffee: Please tell me when people were comparing Gomez to Ronaldo...
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by harhar11 Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:07 pm

Lord Hades wrote:
harhar11 wrote:
Lord Hades wrote:
harhar11 wrote:
Lord Hades wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:

---

everyone? morel ike the immature babies who cant stand a loss without blaming 50 people. . he had one bad game and a couple of ordinary games in that period , i mean nobody is god you know , consistent doesnt mean that you never have a bad game ..

Thats true for EVERY teams in la liga or have you forgotten that after 2 games, everybody wanted Guardiola sacked on his first season? or how they wanted Xavi to be sold?

The difference between Ronaldo and Messi is that Messi has won over 99% of the barca fans with his performance in CL finals, Cup finals and league games. Even if he doesnt score a goal in games there is a BIG chance that Messi still has been the best player on the pitch, like in the 5-0 humiliation of Real Madrid. Messi didnt score, but he was the best player on the pitch or like in the 2-1 win against Real Madrid in the Spanish cup at the bernabeu. Messi didnt score while Ronaldo did, Messi was more impressive than Ronaldo (though on this case, Messi wasnt the best on the pitch). While you cant say the same thing for Ronaldo in games that he hasnt scored, hence why ALOT of Real Madrid fans wanted him out.

While Ronaldo is not a Huntelaar, Gomez or Higuain, his all around play isnt as consistent as a Messi, Iniesta, Pirlo, Özil, Xavi or even a Benzema. And because of that, the majority of the games that I have seen Ronaldo play, apart from the goals he has been very little involved in the game.

Last edited by harhar11 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

harhar11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next