Where does Cristiano Ronaldo fit in football's history ?

+42
worms
rwo power
white_star
Be/\/ceCALI
McAgger
StrugaRock
Lupi
Mamad
Clockwork Orange
dronte
Mr Nick09
sportsczy
ARIARAIDEN
Ganso
the xcx
Dutti
Beautiful Football
Onyx
7amood11
VivaStPauli
Nirgall
barca 2011
Real Kandahar
scotladd
futbol
Harmonica
FennecFox7
Albiceleste
LeBĂ©ninois
The Sanchez
Donuts
BarrileteCosmico
Lord Spencer
Blue Barrett
Milantildeath
Great Leader Sprucenuce
RealGunner
The Franchise
Die Borussen
Vibe
Gil
Valkyrja
46 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

???

Where does Cristiano Ronaldo fit in football's history ? - Page 2 Vote_lcap26%Where does Cristiano Ronaldo fit in football's history ? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 26% 
[ 9 ]
Where does Cristiano Ronaldo fit in football's history ? - Page 2 Vote_lcap46%Where does Cristiano Ronaldo fit in football's history ? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 46% 
[ 16 ]
Where does Cristiano Ronaldo fit in football's history ? - Page 2 Vote_lcap28%Where does Cristiano Ronaldo fit in football's history ? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 28% 
[ 10 ]

Total Votes : 35

Where does Cristiano Ronaldo fit in football's history ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Where does Cristiano Ronaldo fit in football's history ?

Post by FennecFox7 Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:22 pm

Albiceleste wrote:
likeastar wrote:But Ronaldo is maybe the most hard-working player ever. (speaking of all-time greats, because he obviously is)

OT: Smack dab right in front of Ibra, by the skin of his teeth. In the top 50-100 area as RG said. Far too many players to get more specific than that.

No way.. at least top 25.
I can't say top 10 with certainty however

FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Where does Cristiano Ronaldo fit in football's history ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Where does Cristiano Ronaldo fit in football's history ?

Post by Albiceleste Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:30 pm

Giggity5313 wrote:
Albiceleste wrote:
likeastar wrote:But Ronaldo is maybe the most hard-working player ever. (speaking of all-time greats, because he obviously is)

OT: Smack dab right in front of Ibra, by the skin of his teeth. In the top 50-100 area as RG said. Far too many players to get more specific than that.

In terms of greatness, he has a lot to do for me to consider him one of the top 25 players in footballs history.

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:04 pm

Difficult question, as the years have gone by my appreciation has definitely grown towards him. Definitely not Top 10, but he's been consistently great the last few years, so probably a third tier player, which without thinking it too much would place him somewhere Top 30~, voted Top 25. The thing is, he's been showing some sings of getting past his prime this season, which would be normal for 28 year old physical player that he is, so I don't know if he will ever reach that second tier of footballers.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sanchez Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:43 pm

Lol Top 10... Clearly people have issues if they think that...
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:05 pm

The Sanchez wrote:Lol Top 10... Clearly people have issues if they think that...

Tbh in my opinion he is around the 10-15 mark. Ridiculously underrated here.

Harmonica I have to disagree, our team in general is in shambles. However ronaldo IMO will have to convert to a pure CF to stay effective IMO.
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:07 pm

Albiceleste wrote:
Giggity5313 wrote:
Albiceleste wrote:...

In terms of greatness, he has a lot to do for me to consider him one of the top 25 players in footballs history.
Well in terms of achievements, goal scoring records, I think he's around there bro Smile
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sanchez Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:02 pm

Giggity5313 wrote:
The Sanchez wrote:Lol Top 10... Clearly people have issues if they think that...

Tbh in my opinion he is around the 10-15 mark. Ridiculously underrated here.

Harmonica I have to disagree, our team in general is in shambles. However ronaldo IMO will have to convert to a pure CF to stay effective IMO.

We are talking about the greatest of all time aren't we because if we are then he is no way near close to Top 15...
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:08 pm

It's a compliment if he even makes it to top 50 don't know why some fans take it so personal.
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:09 pm

Top 100 - 200.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sanchez Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:10 pm

Donuts wrote:It's a compliment if he even makes it to top 50 don't know why some fans take it so personal.

This.
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBĂ©ninois Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:10 am

He is a great player : same bracket than Rivalodo, ronaldinho, Henry , raul , eto'o , iniesta, drogba, xavi, figo , ... even if he didn't win many trophies like them.

but what make people remmenber you as a great player is the emotions you give to them and this is why this thread's title is written as a question. Ronaldo has scored 171 in 171 for Real wich is awesome but did he score emotionals/importants goals like eto'o for example ( 2 goals in 2 finals for barcelona, and the one in 2006 against arsenal almost made me almost cry)

He is seen as a goal machine, too bad. Scoring the last P-K against Spain and brought Portugal to the finals for example is a way to make history

First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by scotladd Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:15 am

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:

I'd also argue that Messi is the reason CR pushed himself so much and would be a lesser player without him.

You hit the nail on the head.
scotladd
scotladd
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Real Kandahar Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:59 am

what if real madrid wins UCL and Copa del rey this season.... leading ronaldo to win his 2nd balondor? restoring his confidence and aims for another?
Real Kandahar
Real Kandahar
Banned (Temporary)

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by barca 2011 Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:06 am

Messi, Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, R9, Zidane, R10, Di Stefano, Garrincha, Mueller.

There's 10 attacking players, never mind defenders, who can arguably be placed above CR7. Not to discredit him, but would you agree?
barca 2011
barca 2011
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Nirgall Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:00 am

top 25 for me. Amazing player. And lately kind of underrated because of being compared to messi so much.
Nirgall
Nirgall
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:08 am

He got robbed this season though, for sure. :X
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:09 am

VivaStPauli wrote:He got robbed this season though, for sure. :X
Gunpoint, when was this?
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by 7amood11 Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:57 am

Definitely a top 25 player. If Messi didn't exist, he would be by far considered the best player in the world atm. His goal-scoring records are absolutely ridiculous, very few strikers have been able to replicate.
7amood11
7amood11
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:02 am

Harmonica wrote:
Gunpoint, when was this?

Sorry, technically he got robbed this season, because of last season - meaning: I think he should've won the Ballon d'Or; he just had the better season than Messi, if you take into account the league win and the Euros.
I'd rather Messi have gotten his 4th the next time around.

Note that I have no doubt about Messis eventual 4th Ballon, I just think Ronaldo deserved the award for his performances in 2012. Especially the 2nd part of the 11/12 season and the Euros.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:07 am

7amood11 wrote:Definitely a top 25 player. If Messi didn't exist, he would be by far considered the best player in the world atm. His goal-scoring records are absolutely ridiculous, very few strikers have been able to replicate.

Plenty of players in history have similar goalscoring records but are not remembered as a top 25 player.

Its simply not enough, the best players ever were players who were still GOATs even if they can't finish without CR's finishing he isn't even a top 20 player of today he has no other redeeming qualities.

Unlike Messi who would still be the best player in the world even if his finishing was crap.

Why do you think everyone talks about Di Stefano and not Puskas? despite Puskas being a much superior goalscorer?

I don't think people realise how many great players their have been to say CR is top 50-100 is not disrespecting him.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:20 am

VivaStPauli wrote:
Harmonica wrote:
Gunpoint, when was this?

Sorry, technically he got robbed this season, because of last season - meaning: I think he should've won the Ballon d'Or; he just had the better season than Messi, if you take into account the league win and the Euros.

Note that I have no doubt about Messis eventual 4th Ballon, I just think Ronaldo deserved the award for his performances in 2012. Especially the 2nd part of the 11/12 season and the Euros.
How did he have better season or year? He won more or more major team trophies, as in La Liga? Well then surely Torres or Mata were robbed even more?

Messi was better in La Liga, La Liga player of season, better in Uefa Champions League, Uefa Champions League top scorer, in Copa Del Rey, Golden Boot, broke about 100 scoring records, about 15 of them being major ones.

I fail to see how Cronaldo's exploits in Euros come even close to dipping the balance in his favour. And most of people saw that, which the vote projects.

Last edited by Harmonica on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Nirgall Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:23 am

I don't think it's only Messi being the better player. He obviously is, but at the same time. he is much more likeable than Cristiano. And Ballon d'or is a popularity contest.

i mean if both players have similar arguments to win the award (one more trophies, the other better individually) the more popular player is going to take it hands down. For cristiano to win he has to be noticeably better than messi. Beyond argument.
Nirgall
Nirgall
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:30 am

Nirgall wrote:I don't think it's only Messi being the better player. He obviously is, but at the same time. he is much more likeable than Cristiano. And Ballon d'or is a popularity contest.

i mean if both players have similar arguments to win the award (one more trophies, the other better individually) the more popular player is going to take it hands down.
No it's not, and no they hadn't.

For cristiano to win he has to be noticeably better than messi. Beyond argument.
Laughing So how the hell he won it in 2008, when he was even more hated?
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Nirgall Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:36 am

Harmonica wrote:
Nirgall wrote:I don't think it's only Messi being the better player. He obviously is, but at the same time. he is much more likeable than Cristiano. And Ballon d'or is a popularity contest.

i mean if both players have similar arguments to win the award (one more trophies, the other better individually) the more popular player is going to take it hands down.
No it's not, and no they hadn't.

For cristiano to win he has to be noticeably better than messi. Beyond argument.
Laughing So how the hell he won it in 2008, when he was even more hated?

He won it because messi was too young and struggling with injuries. he basically had no other player that was even close to his level.

And Ballon d'or is a popularity constest without questions. I doesn't even have an established criteria to vote. People are still arguing wether the award is for best player in the world, player with best season, or best player of the team that won the most.
Nirgall
Nirgall
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:40 am

Nirgall wrote:And Ballon d'or is a popularity constest without questions. I doesn't even have an established criteria to vote. People are still arguing wether the award is for best player in the world, player with best season, or best player of the team that won the most.
No it's not lol, some people vote their palls sure, but it all evens out in the end, and the results itself portray pretty correctly who was the best player of the year, in opinion of the majority. At least when the difference is this big.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:45 am

Harmonica wrote:
VivaStPauli wrote:
Harmonica wrote:Gunpoint, when was this?

How did he have better season or year? He won more or more major team trophies, as in La Liga? Well then surely Torres or Mata were robbed even more?

Messi was better in La Liga, La Liga player of season, better in Uefa Champions League, Uefa Champions League top scorer, in Copa Del Rey, Golden Boot, broke about 100 scoring records, about 15 of them being major ones.

I fail to see how Cronaldo's exploits in Euros come even close to dipping the balance in his favour. And most of people saw that, which the vote projects.

Messi better in UCL and La Liga ? When he flopped in most of the away games ? And score 10+ goals after they lost the title when everyone played for him ? In UCL because he scored 2 penalties against an average Milan side and 5 goals against Leverkusen ? He is the better player, but he clearly didn't have a better season.
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next