Are we Gonna act like 90% of this forum wasn't wrong about Walcott?

+17
free_cat
OLpower
lenear1030
Adit
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Arquitecto
Harmonica
Jay29
Bellabong
VivaStPauli
worms
Donuts
CBarca
rwo power
Tomwin Lannister
Lex
Gil
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Are we Gonna act like 90% of this forum wasn't wrong about Walcott? Empty Are we Gonna act like 90% of this forum wasn't wrong about Walcott?

Post by Gil Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:52 am

16 goals and 10 assists on the season despite spending half of it on the bench behind a scrub named Gervais.

Top 5 counter attacking player in the World, near elite finisher, terrific off the ball movement, fastest player to ever play the sport, ever improving intelligence and vision and almost always shows up in the big games when it matters.

Yeah he couldn't dribble past Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend but neither could Ronaldo and he's a consensus Top 2 player in the World. Dribbling matters little when your movement is so good and you're in the right system alongside above average footballers.

Already a Top 10 wide forward/winger.

Last edited by Gil on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Are we Gonna act like 90% of this forum wasn't wrong about Walcott? Empty Re: Are we Gonna act like 90% of this forum wasn't wrong about Walcott?

Post by Gil Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:53 am

Haters in 3...2....1.....
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Are we Gonna act like 90% of this forum wasn't wrong about Walcott? Empty Re: Are we Gonna act like 90% of this forum wasn't wrong about Walcott?

Post by Lex Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:02 am

Forget one crow, I bet Chris Waddle is currently wolfing down an entire flock
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:11 am

I never thought he "Lacked a footballing brain" like some people said but I didn't think he'd do this well. Good for him he's proving his doubters wrong.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:15 am

Well, I'm looking forward to watching him when Arsenal takes on Bayern in the CL in about three weeks.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:17 am

rwo power wrote:Well, I'm looking forward to watching him when Arsenal takes on Bayern in the CL in about three weeks.

You think Bayern will give him space to attack or approach the game in a more conservative manner.

Last edited by Gil on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:22 am

Gil wrote:
rwo power wrote:Well, I'm looking forward to watching him when Arsenal takes on Bayern in the CL in about three weeks.
You think Bayern will give him space to attack and approach the game in a more conservative manner.
Well, I think Bayern will do their game as they usually do. Their main problem is their depleted defense line atm (Badstuber injured, Boateng suspended), so Walcott might take advantage of it.

I rarely watch Arsenal as there are usually BL matches at the same time they play, so I have to wait for CL matches to have a good look at the Gunners. ^^
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:27 am

8 goals and 5 assists of those are against Reading and Coventry in the CC and a 7 goal route of Newcastle.

That is half his goals and assists.

I'm not even going to say anything else. I'm just going to leave this here and quietly leave the thread and watch how this develops cause it has potential to be tasty.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:57 am

If he keeps up this play, for a year or two then i'll certainly claim him top 10 material.
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by worms Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:59 am

"Top 5 counter attacking player in the World"

Na.

"fastest player to ever play the sport"

I laughed out loud at this.

Walcot is a player with a lot of pace,good movement and good composed 1 vs 1 finishing.

Apart from that the rest of his game average really,what else does he have to his game? I don't see how he has good vision tbh.
worms
worms
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:06 am

I'm pretty sure I belong to the 10%, then. Was he really that underrated on the forum?
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:26 am

Maybe you should hang out in the Arsenal forum and not La Liga teams
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:48 am

CBarca wrote:8 goals and 5 assists of those are against Reading and Coventry in the CC and a 7 goal route of Newcastle.

That is half his goals and assists.

I'm not even going to say anything else. I'm just going to leave this here and quietly leave the thread and watch how this develops cause it has potential to be tasty.

While there is an element of "stat padding" here, it's worth pointing out that Walcott scored the first, fourth and sixth goals in the 7-5 win over Reading, which were the most important goals of the night; his first when we were 4-0 down, his second made it 4-4 and put the game into extra time and his sixth came after Reading made it 5-5.

Likewise, he scored the first goal against Newcaslte and the goal which made it 4-3 to us. Again, goals at important times in a match.

In any case, forwards tend to score most of their goals against perceived weaker opposition. You can't knock a forward for actually scoring goals.

I'm pretty sure I belong to the 10%, then. Was he really that underrated on the forum?

There is some rightful doubt about him because his general play is limited and he only really thrives in certain in-game situations. The counter-argument to that is that he is a very productive player.

Some people just don't rate "just productive" players, though. Not just on this forum, but everywhere.

Anyway, Gil's exaggerating Walcott's qualities. He's playing with more confidence this season and is getting into goalscoring positions more often and finishing his chances really well. However, he is not "top ten". Top ten implies he's up their with the best forwards in the game which I don't believe he is. He's still a level below the best strikers/wingers, simply because of his limited game.

Samir Nasri had a similar first few months of the season a couple of years back. At this point, he had 14 goals and had upped his game considerably. Then, he failed to reproduce the same quality in the remainder of the season. Walcott has to prove he can be consistent throughout the whole season and that he can continue to produce in the bigger matches i.e. Liverpool, Spurs, Everton and Man United. It'll be a good measure of how much he's improved.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:19 pm

MessI's won countless trophies stat padding against la liga rejects. Aguero regularly punishes scrubs and when rapey batters crap like Wigan and Southampton, he gets listed for a ballon d'or Laughing
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:25 pm

You sound like it's surprise of century? He's been #2 in the well respected Most effective player of the season 12-13 for some time now.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:32 pm

Lex wrote:MessI's won countless trophies stat padding against la liga rejects.
Messi actually scores and creates more against top opposition than scrubs.

Messi against top opposition 11-12

Real Madrid 3+5@6
Valencia 4+3@4
Malaga 6+0@2
Atletico Madrid 4+1@2
Milan 3+3@4
Leverkusen 6+1@2
Chelsea 0+1@2
Porto 1+1@1
Santos 2+0@1

Overall 29+15@24 against top opposition, 1.83 G+A per game.
Overall 73+35@60 against everyone, 1.80 G+A per game.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:32 pm

Harmonica wrote:You sound like it's surprise of century? He's been #2 in the well respected Most effective player of the season 12-13 for some time now.

Nothing against Walcott but...

Most 'effective' based on what exactly? Because I hope you won't just give me arbitrary numbers to crunch and compare.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:35 pm

Arquitecto wrote:
Harmonica wrote:You sound like it's surprise of century? He's been #2 in the well respected Most effective player of the season 12-13 for some time now.

Nothing against Walcott but...

Most 'effective' based on what exactly? Because I hope you won't just give me arbitrary numbers to crunch and compare.
Well, OP was about goals and assists, hint hint.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:40 pm

Lex wrote:MessI's won countless trophies stat padding against la liga rejects. Aguero regularly punishes scrubs and when rapey batters crap like Wigan and Southampton, he gets listed for a ballon d'or Laughing

They score against big teams too and win their teams trophies as CB half of his goals came in 3 games.....

Outside of that he has 9 goals and 6 assists in 24 games.

Seriously peeps need to start making bigger arguments because stats based ones are so easy to pick apart.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:42 pm

I think it is hard judging Arsenal players this year..they flops consistently against big teams and wins consistently by a huge margin against the fodders.
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:58 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
They score against big teams too and win their teams trophies.
sorry, what trophies has RVP helped anyone win?

Big games? Chelsea, Liverpool, United, Tottenham, Barcelona are some of the teams he's helped beat in the past........are they big enough?
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:59 pm

Walcott actually has more goals and assists than a lot of people on here's golden boys Laughing
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:08 pm

Lex you said Aguero and Messi mate...... oops didn't notice the rapey comment Laughing Mad

Anyway i like Walcott i always have but he's still inconsistent and his numbers like Giroud are a bit misleading.

Still a bit unproven in his new role for me as far as consistency goes and hasn't done enough to prove people wrong.... yet.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by lenear1030 Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:46 pm

walcott is beginning to come into his own, but he's no WC player. he's not great either, i think he should just be considered 'a good player'. dont overyhype him please
lenear1030
lenear1030
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by OLpower Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:09 pm

I admit I thought that Gervinho would bench Walcott quite easily. Seeing as Gevinho was one of the best Ligue 1 player, playing impressively with Lille, I thought he would be able to show his capacities at Arsenal.

It did not happen.
OLpower
OLpower
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum