30/1/2013 Manchester United 2 - 1 Southampton EPL

3 posters

Go down

30/1/2013 Manchester United 2 - 1 Southampton EPL Empty 30/1/2013 Manchester United 2 - 1 Southampton EPL

Post by Vlad the Impaler Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:02 pm

Form guide: United are on an 11-game unbeaten streak and looked constantly menacing during the weekend's resounding FA Cup win over Fulham. The Reds have also won the last seven games against Southampton, including this season's 3-2 thriller at St Mary's. The Saints arrive at Old Trafford in better shape than you may think: they've lost just once in their last seven games, although five of those fixtures ended in draws.

Ins and outs: United came through the weekend unscathed and there's good news for Nick Powell fans, as the youngster has resumed training following a recent knock. This match will probably come too soon for both Ashley Young (knee) and Jonny Evans (hamstring), however. Southampton will sweat on the fitness of Adam Lallana, while striker Guilhermo do Prado and defender Jose Fonte are almost certain to miss the clash. All three players have been out with knee injuries.

Last meeting: Southampton were in dreamland back in September when they took a two-goal lead at St Mary's. But along came Robin van Persie to rescue the Reds with a superb hat-trick, including a 90th-minute winner. Bizarrely, though, the Dutchman wasn't even the best player on the pitch that day. That honour went to Paul Scholes, who pulled all the strings in midfield.

Did you know? Each of the last five fixtures between United and Southampton have been played at St Mary's. Old Trafford last hosted the teams way back in December 2004. On that occasion, United won 3-0 thanks to goals by Paul Scholes, Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo.

Opposition boss: The surprise sacking of Nigel Adkins, a man who took Southampton from League One to the Premier League in just two seasons, opened the door for Argentinian Mauricio Pochettino to take over. A legend at Espanyol as a player, Pochettino, 40, also managed the club - based in Barcelona - for three-and-a-half years before losing his job in November.

Star man: Southampton may lie in 15th spot but in striker Rickie Lambert they have a player with an exceptional eye for goal. Indeed, only four players – Michu, Demba Ba, Luis Suarez and Robin van Persie – have found the net more times in the league this season. A real journeyman in his earlier years (he's played in each of England's top four divisions), Lambert would love to continue his fine form by netting at Old Trafford.

Quote/unquote: “To meet Sir Alex will be a proud moment. He’s an incredible manager who has had a successful project for 25 years. But I’m worried about which Argentine wine I can take him. I worry he may end up disappointed.” – Mauricio Pochettino

Whistle-blower: Lee Mason is the man in charge on Wednesday night. The 41-year-old from Bolton has officiated one Reds game already this season, the 5-4 Capital One Cup defeat at Chelsea.

Preview by ManUTD.com

Last edited by vladdy on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:59 pm; edited 3 times in total
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

30/1/2013 Manchester United 2 - 1 Southampton EPL Empty Re: 30/1/2013 Manchester United 2 - 1 Southampton EPL

Post by Vlad the Impaler Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:33 pm

Manchester United have dropped just two points in 13 Premier League home games against Southampton.

Robin van Persie has scored four goals in three Premier League appearances against Southampton, including a hat-trick in Manchester United's 3-2 win at St Marys earlier this season.

Southampton have lost none of their last six Premier League matches, but five of these have ended in a draw.
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

30/1/2013 Manchester United 2 - 1 Southampton EPL Empty Re: 30/1/2013 Manchester United 2 - 1 Southampton EPL

Post by Vlad the Impaler Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:00 pm

Very good FIRST HALF, except the goal conceded.Again, lack of communication between defenders and De Gea :facepalm: . This time Carrick gave a wrong pass.

The formation is 4-2-3-1: De Gea, Jones, Smalling, Vidic, Evra, Carrick, Anderson, Welbeck, Rooney, Kagawa, Van Persie.

Subs: Lindegaard, Rafael, Buttner, Ferdinand, Cleverley, Nani, Valencia.

I am impressed by Kagawa.Finally, he reminds me of his form at BVB.He gave a superb assist for Rooney's equaliser goal.His in-field relationship with Rooney and RVP improved a lot; I saw some excellent one touch passes between Roo and Kagawa.Shinji could have been the player of the first half if he wouldn't hit the post but scored in that chance created near the 6 yard box.

Also Evra showed huge lust for goals and he tried to score a few times.I am happy because Wazza scored 2 goals, btw yesterday I predicted on chat that he'll score a hat-trick today.

Vidic was our best defender until now.I amglad to see that he's back his old form. cheers

Soton can't pretend more from this game, they were lucky with that mistake, but obviously...it is part of the game Smile.

Good luck RED DEVILS for the 2nd Half!

Last edited by vladdy on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad the Impaler Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:25 pm

vladdy wrote:
Good luck RED DEVILS for the 2nd Half!

I guess they really needed luck. Shocked

Game analysis:

Bewildered, confused, hazy, vague, groggy, dizzy, perplexed...those words aren't enough to reflect the way we played in the second half.

I am disappointed by almost all of our players because they literally ruined the old Man United spirit.

We started the second half in opposition to the way we finished first.We surely lost over than 30 balls in the midfield area.Rooney...tired very quickly and he couldn't manage to do anything good for the team (in 2nd half), I believe that he could have been easily substituted, but 'luckily' for him Sir Alex had to make some changes in our defense.

De Gea saved our asses a few times, especially at that short free kick when he practically won the match.Carrick, Anderson, Smalling, Welbeck had one of the worst performances of the season...thus Sir Alex substituted Smalling with Rio because he felt that something's wrong with the young lad.Also, Rafael replaced Ando, and Jones played as a CDM the rest of the game.

Nani's presence refreshed our team a little bit and helped us to create some good opportunities to score but Boruc was outstanding today.

RVP couldn't do much things because nobody was helping him...

Southampton is on 16th place, but they almost won a point today.The game could have easily end as a draw and it would have been fair for both teams.Our team seemed to be very very tired.All of our players showed lack of stamina, fact which leads me to think that Ferguson treated superficially the physical training in the last few weeks.

For me Vidic is MOTM because he won every one on one duel, dominated the aerial balls and managed to oragnise our defense in the last minutes.It is a very very important wing; this kind of games can decide the title but we usually realise this only at the end of the season.

Tactically, we lost the second half by miles.Also, Pochettino's players showed more confidence and in opposition with our players, they exhibited their strong personalities...they seemed to have no pressure.Somehow, Mauricio won the psychological game with Sir Alex at the half time.Our manager had almost no reaction to Pochettino's boys absolutely incredible atitude.They are worthy of praises.

We had a decent 1st half and a disgraceful 2nd half performance.Full respect for Pochettino and Southampton.

FULL TIME: Manchester United 2-1 Southampton

smoking
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by vizkosity Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:11 am

rooney is back, we'll need everything from him when playing against RM Smile

league tittle is totally within our grasp...i can see us having a treble this year Razz

although we didn't play too well, i think kagawa and Evra are showing something positive Smile
vizkosity
vizkosity
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:03 pm

Great work Vladdy!

Watched the higlights and agree about Kagawa and Rooney. Both were brilliant.

Also Southampton play some great stuff
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down