NiallQuinnsdiscoPants
Onyx
sportsczy
Great Leader Sprucenuce
McAgger
26 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Jamie Carragher Announces Retirement at the End of Season Empty Jamie Carragher Announces Retirement at the End of Season

Post by McAgger Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:33 pm

Can't believe there is no thread for it already in the Gen section.

Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Another one of the greats from the past generation about to hang up his boots. One of the biggest legends the game has ever seen. Absolute top class footballer and man. Football will lose a little the day he hangs 'em up.

Last edited by Messiah "Aggerswagger" on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Jamie Carragher Announces Retirement at the End of Season Empty Re: Jamie Carragher Announces Retirement at the End of Season

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:39 pm

Liverpool fan and can't spell the name of a legend No

Anyway great player and fantastic pro who worked so hard to get where he got to.

Will be difficult to replace as far as his stature goes in the club.

I think he should have played more for England too, but he's not the only legend who have been ignored for England and he won't be the last.

Wish him good luck in the future.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Jamie Carragher Announces Retirement at the End of Season Empty Re: Jamie Carragher Announces Retirement at the End of Season

Post by McAgger Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:42 pm

Me :facepalm: Thanks for catching that Moal
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:43 pm

'bout time he kicked the bucket...
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:43 pm

One of my favorite comments by Carra

McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:24 pm

Carragher. :bow:

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by NiallQuinnsdiscoPants Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:35 pm

Please no Evil or Very Mad I pray no one gives him a pundit or commentator job.

His voice is even more annoying than 40,000 vuvuzelas.
NiallQuinnsdiscoPants
NiallQuinnsdiscoPants
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:17 pm

A legend. I have a lot of respect for him. I wish him all the best after his retirement.
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:51 am

Announces retirement just when he displaced Skrtel. A top guy and Liverpool legend.
Im feeling so low, It feels like an end of an era. I grew up watching him play throughout my LFC love life, Now he wont be there. Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

Hope he takes a coaching role. Sad

JAMIE CARRAGHER
:bow:
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Be/\/ceCALI Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:31 am

respect him a lot, and wish him luck with whatever he chooses to do next
Be/\/ceCALI
Be/\/ceCALI
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:29 am

A legend? come on guys. Ok player with great dedication, professionalism and loyalty to his club, but barely a legend.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:43 am

free_cat wrote:A legend? come on guys. Ok player with great dedication, professionalism and loyalty to his club, but barely a legend.

He's a Liverpool legend, ask any Liverpool fan and they will tell you that.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:10 am

Sad to see him retire, a true gladiator of Liverpool. He will be missed
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:23 am

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
free_cat wrote:A legend? come on guys. Ok player with great dedication, professionalism and loyalty to his club, but barely a legend.

Every fans can say someone is a legend for their club, I'm fine with that.

But saying he is a "legend" in general, it's going to far.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:43 am

free_cat wrote:
Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:

Every fans can say someone is a legend for their club, I'm fine with that.

But saying he is a "legend" in general, it's going to far.

He is our version of Puyol.

An absolute model professional on and off the pitch, and one of the very rare breed of old school CBs that do not exist in today's modern football anymore.

He is incredibly respected even by Everton and United fans. A lot more than Gerrard.

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:44 am

El Shaarawy wrote:Sad to see him retire, a true gladiator of Liverpool. He will be missed

In 2nd half of extra time at Istanbul, he had cramps in both groins, due to defending last ditch tackles. We had made all 3 subs, so he played on and defended like an absolute soldier when he could barely move.

I watched the extra time again last night.....absolutely unbelievable commitment. Makes a mockery of pansies and pussies who play football now and with a push, they fake injuries....

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:27 am

Harry Redknapp wrote:
El Shaarawy wrote:Sad to see him retire, a true gladiator of Liverpool. He will be missed

In 2nd half of extra time at Istanbul, he had cramps in both groins, due to defending last ditch tackles. We had made all 3 subs, so he played on and defended like an absolute soldier when he could barely move.

I watched the extra time again last night.....absolutely unbelievable commitment. Makes a mockery of pansies and pussies who play football now and with a push, they fake injuries....

Bad memories Sad
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:57 am

A PL legend just not a Liverpool one. He is one of those who is well respected by everyone. His professionalism and his love for liverpool is what makes him stand out so much. Every kid in the youth ranks at liverpool looks up to him and Gerrard. He isn't just a player but a mentor. The way he helped Henderson and now Allen over a year/now is a perfect example of a great role model he is.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:35 pm

free cat go take hike. I think Carra in his prime was a exceptional defender, among the elites for sure in that period. From 03-09 he was untouchable in our team. Never put a foot wrong.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:39 pm

Messiah "Aggerswagger" wrote:free cat go take hike. I think Carra in his prime was a exceptional defender, among the elites for sure in that period. From 03-09 he was untouchable in our team. Never put a foot wrong.

I dont want to speak bad about a PL legend but this is not true.

He was not ever among the elites.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:47 pm

What a post on rawk :bow:

Nothing has the power to both age and rejuvenate the soul quite like football. Buried amongst the eulogies for the great Jamie Carragher, who has- just to clarify- neither died nor retired just yet, that much is evident. Tributes for fading legends cascade forth, and it seems the man destined for the Premier League glue factory may yet paddle there on the tears of our collective inner child.

Nearly every man or woman who has held the dream of being a footballer, at some point has to make peace with it. It is just one of football’s many ageisms. The next might be when your idol retires, or indeed realising they are younger than you are. For others, it is watching children being paid in a week what you earn in a year. For those with kids of their own, I can only imagine a whole other set of depressing benchmarks to give your exuberance a kicking.

And so Carragher, fit as a butcher’s dog but now greying at the temples, must have stared into the pitying eyes of his new master Brendan Rodgers and feared that last car ride. ‘Where’s Jamie gone?’ asks Steven Gerrard. ‘A long holiday’ replies Brendan as he bangs the mud off his shovel.

Sportsmen are offered no tonic to age. Even with a heady cocktail of steroids, lies, and the color yellow, Lance Armstrong found his supply of career-Botox finite. For footballers, the Transfer Deadline shines a particularly unflattering light on the crow’s feet of the senior pro.

Around him, Jamie has team-mates almost young enough to be his sons. Had he a little of the Raheem Sterling to him, perhaps grandchildren. One wonders if watching Phillipe Coutinho arrive at Melwood, Carragher questioned whether Liverpool had signed Terry McDermott’s niece. The times they are a-changin’, and in Coutinho and Carragher Liverpool have two players so diametrically opposed, Carragher could kill and eat the slightly-built Brazilian and it’d be written off as food chain justice.

Yet, Carragher’s well-practiced at outlasting arrivals at Anfield, so it’s unlikely that the latest waif with a step-over was what hurried him towards his slippers. He perhaps instead cast fearful glances towards the players leaving Premier League clubs this January, and it was that which led him to call ‘time’.

As he sat there on ‘Deadline Day’, in one of a thousand identical tracksuits, eating his signature dish of plain pasta, I have no doubt Carra flicked over to Sky Sports News curious to see how things were unfolding. For a man who reclines cosily every year knowing the carousel does not let you get on at Bootle, Jim White slinging dimebag rumours would be extra repellent. And when Peter Odemwingie began circling the Queens Park Rangers car park like Collymore on GHB, Carragher was left with only the decision he made. The grim reality of free agent wilderness will hail the retirement of even the bravest of legends.

It will be an emotional procession to retirement, but Jamie I do offer you some solace. Some years ago, in the most time-honoured of ‘wool behaviour’, I popped into the club shop. Struggling to choose my favourite piece of eye-molesting merchandise, I spied none other than Jamie himself at the counter. Of course, I was awestruck.

‘The man is a mountain, go into the dressing room and walk around him’ Shankly said of Ron Yeats, and my mind took the same tour of Jamie. Everything about him was as imagined: that red-faced pre-temper; the wiry frame like six feet of knuckle; pleasantness blended with Scouse agitation. Meeting him is a silly little moment that will stay with me forever.

Why was Jamie there? He was picking up baby-sized home kits with ‘Dad 23’ on the back: one of the cutest damned things you’ll ever see. These days you can see his son James in an almost full size version playing for one of the youth teams, and that really feels like a fact that should age a guy.

And yet it doesn’t. Earlier in the week, Steven Gerrard’s goal against Manchester City brought sadness at the prospect of extinction, but it also reignited the joy of every other goal of his I have burned in my memory. It was strange to know there wouldn’t be many more like it, and yet the goal itself brought all sorts of clichĂ©d childlike wonder, and I felt just that one moment meliorate my entire football soul.

Football gives with one hand, and takes away with the other, but you can bet your life it’ll give it back a moment later. You’re only ever one rewind of the clock away from your next rejuvenation, and that even goes for the immortal Jamie Carragher. So I say to Jamie: don’t worry, there’ll be plenty of moments for you to feel young again. In the meantime, just enjoy a few months of growing old: you've earned it 'Dad 23'.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:48 pm

The Franchise wrote:
Messiah "Aggerswagger" wrote:free cat go take hike. I think Carra in his prime was a exceptional defender, among the elites for sure in that period. From 03-09 he was untouchable in our team. Never put a foot wrong.

Whatever floats your boat. I don't want to sour Jamie's appreciation thread with pointless discussion, as you know as well as I that whatever the other says won't change our opinions.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:05 pm

The Franchise wrote:

Bullshit mate.

He was part of a defensive partnership with Hyppia/Agger who was always among the top 2 in PL (1o clean sheets in a row 05-06, 5 home goals conceded all season, etc) , and part of some masterful defensive displays in Europe:
Juve 0-0 Liverpool
Barcelona 1-2 Liverpool
Liverpool 0-0 Prime Chelsea
Madrid 0-1 Liverpool
and many more masterful European displays.

From 04-08, he was as good as any centreback in the world....both domestically and in europe. stats, and well my own eyes agree with it. Only 2 centre forwards who bullied him in his prime were Henry and Drogba, but then, those 2 bullied everyone, so no shame in that.

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:08 pm

Great player and a premier league legend.

Last edited by The Ostracised One on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:22 pm

I aint going to ruin the thread, believe what you wish.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next