NiallQuinnsdiscoPants
Onyx
sportsczy
Great Leader Sprucenuce
McAgger
26 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Jamie Carragher Announces Retirement at the End of Season - Page 2 Empty Re: Jamie Carragher Announces Retirement at the End of Season

Post by The Franchise Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:22 pm

I aint going to ruin the thread, believe what you wish.

The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Jamie Carragher Announces Retirement at the End of Season - Page 2 Empty Re: Jamie Carragher Announces Retirement at the End of Season

Post by RedOranje Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:47 pm

Surprised some so familiar with defending club heroes against unnecessary and unwarranted slating have jumped into such an obviously emotional thread to do just the same to others.

There are many ways to play the game and in his role Carra was as good as anyone in his prime. Trophies and personal preference for style are clouding the judgement of a few unexpectedly.

Jibers and sportz would be wise to remove their troll posts before this evening as well...
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Kamikaze692 Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:17 am

His performances in the Champions League with Liverpool outrank those of his Premier League contemporaries (Terry,Ferdinand,Cole etc.)

To suggest that he is not up there among the elites is bullshit.

A great player and an even better person, Carra will definetly be missed.
Kamikaze692
Kamikaze692
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:09 pm

In his prime, he was part of one of the most intimidating and consistent CB partnerships in the Premier League. Was he the best CB in the world, at the time? Probably not. Was he darn good? Oh, yeah! You don't make 700 apps for a club like Liverpool without be very, very good at what you do.

Of course, as Liverpool supporters, we are prone to idealizing his reputation in the wake of such announcements, but it's hard to argue with his stats and accomplishments. Moreover, he was half of a partnership that warrants one of the biggest compliments you can bestow upon partnerships: to be better than the some of its parts. That's not meant as a slight to Carragher and Hyypia as individuals, but rather as a tribute to what they became together. Both were quality on their own, but together they made something special in the center of that Liverpool defense.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:51 pm

btw, today's clean sheet against swansea was 194th for carragher in his career, the highest in EPL history for any defender!!!
courtesy to sky sports

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:00 pm

PL legend. One of the best defenders to ever play in this league :bow:
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Thu May 16, 2013 3:09 am

Carra's last presser:
One game to go, how are you feeling about retirement now?

People keep asking me, the answer will come after the game. We just want to concentrate on the game; I'm looking forward to getting my tickets sorted and hopefully get a win, then I can look back and give you a better answer.

Have you, at any time, reconsidered retirement or has Brendan asked you to reconsider?

No, not really. We've had a couple of chats about different things over the season, not just since I made my decision. The more I've been in the team, the more I've wanted to stick with my decision and go out playing. I've been quite fortunate really that at the time that I announced it, I kept myself in the side. I can go out playing, which is something I'd prefer rather than maybe stay another year and be in the stand, on the bench or wherever it may be.

What will be the best memory of your Liverpool career?

Istanbul, nothing will beat that - the Champions League final. There's no point going over the game, I think we all know what happened that night. It's difficult to ever top that.

What was it like, that feeling, to lift the European Cup?

We've never won the league, which is a disappointment; if we'd have won that maybe I could have compared the two. We've won FA Cups, Carling Cups, the UEFA Cup but nothing compared to the Champions League. It's the biggest and best trophy that you can win as a footballer in club football. It's what we achieved.

Given the step you're taking after your football career, does it rule out management or is that something you're still looking at in the future?

I've never ruled anything out or in. I've gone down this road for a couple of years, I'll see if I enjoy it or if I'm any good at it, and see where it takes me. I've been playing football all my life and I'm looking forward to doing different things, and seeing where it takes me.

How emotional are you going to be at the weekend?

I won't be crying, put it that way!

Are you somebody who might have a 'Wish I could have...' when you retire?

I wish I'd have won the league. But you've given it everything and done as much as you can in terms of what you put into it. It's a team game; there are different managers and coaches who have helped you along the way, you do your best. I've done alright.

You've been part of a close-knit family for all of those years - that's a big part of your life that's suddenly going to change...

People automatically think of Anfield, I think of this place [Melwood]. This is where you come every day, this is where I've been coming since I was nine years of age. Anfield is sort of the icing on the cake where you go at the end of the week or every couple of weeks. It's special but this is where you come every day, the people you see; the people on the gate, the girls upstairs in the canteen, Ann on reception who is the only one who has been here longer than me - she's just pipped me. It's probably coming here and the characters and people you meet every day. You'll have to fill that void in your life.

Will the door still be open for you? Do you plan on coming back?

Ask Brendan on Friday, he's the boss. Once you're done, you're done. I'm sure I'll be welcome to come in for my lunch one day and watch training, but I don't think it's something I'll be doing.

When did you first realise it was time to go?

About 12 months ago, the end of the season. I was in and out of the side with Kenny. I was thinking about it in the summer but I had a year to go and a new manager coming in. I knew then it was always going to be my last season.

Going back to your debut, would have you taken then what you have achieved?

If someone had offered me to be here until the end of my career - the trophies, the big games we've played and won, the stadiums I've played in - I'd have bitten their hand off for that. I'm very lucky to have played with some great players, top managers and given the opportunity to experience those wins and sometimes losses. I've very lucky.

You mentioned the league title...why did Liverpool fall short?

Very simple - we weren't good enough, all of us. There's no fancy reason or excuse, other teams in that particular season were better than us. A couple of times we went close but it was Manchester United or Arsenal. It's not something I lose sleep over, I've been very lucky to achieve some of the things I have. If you look at everyone, there's always something someone hasn't done. There's always more to achieve, whatever you've done. I'm pleased with how it's gone.

You and Steven Gerrard always seem to be together - are there any concerns about Liverpool not having that local heartbeat in the team when you've gone?

I'm probably more concerned about who he's going to sit next to on the coach on the way home. I had that problem at the weekend coming back from Fulham when he wasn't there. I was on my own! Every club will say they want to bring players through from the Academy, that's why you have academies and put so much time and money into it. But the players have got to be good enough. If they're good enough, brilliant - get them in there. It's always good to have a few local lads in the side. That's the aim of everyone.

Now that Alex Ferguson has retired at Manchester United, does it give everyone else an opportunity?

I think it does a little bit more, he's obviously been a top manager - his record is there for all to see. They've got another top manager in David Moyes, I'm sure he'll do a great job there. I'm sure everyone is looking at it and seeing how it will go; maybe it will give other people a chance to get in there if there is maybe a bit of uncertainty at the club. But Manchester United are probably aware of that as well so I'm sure they'll be doing everything to stop that.

In terms of the Liverpool you're leaving, are you excited about the future of the club?

I am, I'm always positive about the club. The last few years haven't been great for us, with league positions and missing out on the Champions League. But with the new manager coming in and the run we've been on in the second half of the season, it gives us a lot to look forward to for next season.

How would a 'team of Carraghers' cope in the Premier League?

A lot of 0-0s!

Paul Scholes came back from retirement after half a year - can you see something similar for yourself?

No, I don't think so. The manager has known for a while that I'm retiring, so I'm sure he's got plans in place and different players that he wants to bring in, ideas of what he wants to do.

How did if feel physically when you were suffering cramp in Istanbul?

Not good! It was just one of those things, you've got to play on. Plenty of players have been in that situation and done the same - mine's highlighted because of the magnitude of the game and everyone was watching. I'm not the only player who has had cramp in football and carried on - there are plenty of other players who have done that. It was just part of the game, that's what made it so special. There were lots of different incidents and things going on, I'm just glad to have been part of it.

Who were the players who were inspirational for you during your time here?

When I first got into the side, I'd say John Barnes, he was the captain and a great player - one of the top players to ever play for the club. As I came into the side a bit more I'd say Steven Gerrard, even though he's younger than me. He's an inspiration, not just for younger players. It doesn't matter if it's a younger player or an older player. You watch the way he plays, what he's done for us and how he's won us a few trophies - he's added to my medal collection! I'd say those two.

Defensively, who have you learnt most from?

The best centre-back I played alongside was Sami Hyypia, I thought he was a great player for the club. We've had lots of players but it could also be a coach; we had Phil Thompson here, Benitez was brilliant at setting up defences. He brought my game on a lot in terms of playing at centre-back because that was his expertise - making a team solid. It's difficult to pick one person, I've had a lot of help from a lot of different people.

How did you feel when your position was under pressure?

It gives you motivation, football is a fight really whether it's opposition or sometimes it can be within your own dressing room in terms of getting a place. We're all mates, we're a big squad but when the team goes up, there's only one name that you look for. It's added motivation but if it hadn't have happened I'd have still motivated myself some other way. I've always been that type of lad. It pushed me on and made me a better player.

Have your recent performances made you think you could carry on?

It's made me go the other way, to be honest. It's made me think it is the right time. It's nice that I'm in the side and people are saying I'm doing well and why not stay for another year? It's better than them saying you should have gone a year ago. I prefer it to be like that and get out while it's going well because it can easily change.

How has the game changed during your era?

Anyone who has been in football the amount of time I have, you look from day one until now. There are big changes. The sports science side of it has come on more than anything; doctors, how to train and all this type of stuff. I think that has been the big advance in the game during that time. Four or five years ago, the Premier League was its best - I think it's dipped a little bit at the moment. A few years ago, ourselves, Chelsea and Manchester United were always close to winning the Champions League for two or three years. I think that was the height of the Premier League - hopefully that's something that I'll be able to talk about next season and we get the Premier League back up there. It would be nice to see some more top players coming in and give the league a little bit of a boost.

Rio Ferdinand has announced his England retirement today. Do you look back and think it would be nice to have had a few more games at that level?

I wish he'd have retired years ago, I might have got a few more games! He's been a great player, he's retired from England. He's a similar age to me so it was always going to come up at one time or another. Him and John Terry were the cornerstones of the England side for 10 years and it was just timing really - it was difficult for me to get in. They're two great players and I wish them well.

Is there anything you won't miss about being a professional player?

The feeling when you get beat, but I suppose I'll have that as a fan - watching and I won't be able to do anything about it if results aren't going well for Liverpool. So that feeling after a defeat, you're pretty low for a few days.

He won't be shedding any tears, but I can't promise the same. Sad

Last edited by RedOranje on Thu May 16, 2013 10:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Thu May 16, 2013 3:10 am

Thierry Henry wrote:"When Carragher retires, it will be a sad day for any Liverpool fan and for anyone who likes the game," he told LFC TV's new 'Carragher' documentary.

"The memory that I have of him is someone who was loyal and committed.

"You will always remember him as a Liverpool player because that's the only team he played for.

"I have had incredible battles against him. I lost some and I won some but they were always fair and always hard. He's a competitor.

"For me, he will go down as one of the top five. If you talk about how long he has played for Liverpool and what he won there and what type of player he was, he will go down as one of the greatest in the history of the league."
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Thu May 16, 2013 3:20 am

PL legend . Too bad he didn't have a better NT career
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Thu May 16, 2013 4:01 am

What a great man Carra is. The guy oozes passion and charisma. I get a feeling that he's also a bit of a joker and would be great to have pint with.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Thu May 16, 2013 4:12 am

PS Thierry Henry is a closet Liverpool fan and everyone knows it. Which is why we loved him and respected his Arsenal side so much.

Some of the quotes by Henry regarding LFC:

In 2005 after Istanbul
"I really want Liverpool up there at the top," he said. "It will make it much more exciting. I hope they can catch up with us, Chelsea and Manchester United. A four way championship fight would be special.

"And you have to give credit to Liverpool. People say the English league is easy. These supporters point to the fact that English teams rarely do well in the Champions League - even though we have four teams enter every year.

"Liverpool have done something for all of us and we should thank them. It was the most amazing final ever. At 3-0 down Liverpool looked completely dead. But they were able to show the fighting spirit which is so typical of an English team."

Henry also had words of praise for the club's brilliant supporters, adding: "Liverpool's fans are just amazing. The best feeling I have at away games is Anfield. It is just incredible. I love it.

"You get goosebumps when you see their supporters sing You'll Never Walk Alone."

Another in 2006

IN ANOTHER life, Thierry Henry might well have worn a different red shirt. “A kid asked me on Wednesday if I would have liked to play for another team,” the Arsenal and France striker said yesterday. “Straight away I said Liverpool.
“First of all, I would have loved to play with Steven Gerrard and second I like the club and their fans. There’s something about Anfield that you can’t explain

“I love it when you step out of the dressing-room and you see the Kop, the scarves, and [hear people] singing You’ll Never Walk Alone. Just that, that would do it for me.

Again in 2008

"For my first few years at Arsenal we didn't do well there, but we improved," he said.

"It's the atmosphere I love. It's unbelievable. I've played in a lot of stadiums but for me there is nothing like playing at Liverpool.

"Nothing can beat Highbury, of course, but playing at Anfield was great. The fans always sing and hold up their scarves before and after the game - whether they have won or lost.

"It must be amazing if you are a Liverpool player."

Henry on Gerrard
“I find it a disgrace that he didn’t win European Footballer of the Year in 2005 after Istanbul. For me, he is one of the best ever.

“Whenever you play Liverpool you know you have to get him out of the game. If not, it’s all over for you.

“He’s a midfielder and if you look at all the important goals he’s scored - well I can’t even think of a striker in the world who has scored as many important goals, never mind a midfielder. How many times has he done it in the dying seconds of a game? I am trying to think of a striker now who does it - there aren’t any. Think about it.

“For me, and I have always said this, he will be regarded as one of the greatest midfielders ever when he finishes his career. No doubt.

Proud Proud Proud
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu May 16, 2013 10:32 pm

Really sad to see him retire. Like fergie, he was just "always there" since i started watching football. It's always sad to see things end. Specially things as good as Carragher.

He was a typical people's player. A defender who was fazed by nothing. Gave his all, even when he made a mistake, he didn't hide away. His commitment to football and passion for the sport will always be remembered by the PL fans.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Fri May 17, 2013 12:20 am

list of Carragher's team-mates since making his debut Proud

Abel Xavier
Adam Morgan
Albert Riera
Alberto Aquilani
Alvaro Arbeloa
Andre Wisdom
Andrea Dossena
Andrew Carroll
Andriy Voronin
Anthony Le Tallec
Antonio Nunez
Bernard Diomede
Bjorn Kvarme
Boudewijn Zenden
Brad Friedel
Brad Jones
Bruno Cheyrou
Charles-Hubert Itandje
Charlie Adam
Chris Kirkland
Christian Poulson
Christian Ziege
Connor Coady
Craig Bellamy
Damien Plessis
Daniel Agger
Daniel Ayala
Daniel Pacheco
Daniel Sturridge
Daniele Padelli
Danny Gutherie
Danny Murphy
Danny Wilson
Darren Potter
David James
David Ngog
David Raven
David Thompson
Diego Cavalieri
Dietmar Hamann
Dirk Kuyt
Djibril Cisse
Djimi Traore
Dominic Matteo
Doni
El Hadji Diouf
Emile Heskey
Emiliano Insua
Erik Meijer
Fabio Aureilo
Fabio Borini
Fernando Morientes
Fernando Torres
Florent Sinama Pongolle
Frode Kippe
Gabriel Paletta
Gary McAllister
Glen Johnson
Gregory Vignal
Harry Kewell
Igor Biscan
Jack Hobbs
Jack Robinson
Jamie Redknapp
Jan Kromkamp
Jari Litmanen
Jason McAteer
Javier Mascherano
Jay Spearing
Jean-Michel Ferri
Jermaine Pennant
Jerome Sinclair
Jerzy Dudek
Joe Allen
Joe Cole
John Arne Riise
John Barnes
John Scales
John Welsh
Jon Flanagan
Jon Newby
Jon Otsemobor
Jonjo Shelvey
Jordan Henderson
Jose Reina
Josemi
Karlheinz Riedle
Lee Jones
Lee Peltier
Lucas Pezzini Leiva
Luis Garcia
Luis Suarez
Mark Gonzalez
Mark Kennedy
Markus Babbel
Martin Kelly
Martin Skrtel
Mauricio Pellegrino
Maxi Rodriguez
Michael Owen
Michael Thomas
Miki Roque
Milan Baros
Milan Jovanović
Mohamed Sissoko
Nabil El Zhar
Nathan Ecclestone
Neil Mellor
Neil Ruddock
Nick Barmby
Nicolas Anelka
Nuri Sahin
Oussama Assaidi
Oyvind Leonhardsen
Patrice Luzi Bernardi
Patrik Berger
Paul Ince
Paul Konchesky
Pegguy Arphexad
Peter Crouch
Phil Babb
Philipp Degen
Philippe Coutinho
Raheem Sterling
Raul Meireles
Richie Partridge
Rigobert Song
Robbie Fowler
Robbie Keane
Rob Jones
Ryan Babel
Salif Diao
Samed Yesil
Sami Hyypiä
Sanchez Jose Enrique
Sander Westerveld
Scott Carson
Sean Dundee
Sebastian Coates
Sebastian Leto
Sotirios Kyrgiakos
Stan Collymore
Stephane Henchoz
Stephen Darby
Stephen Warnock
Stephen Wright
Steve Finnan
Steve Harkness
Steve McManaman
Steve Staunton
Steven Gerrard
Stewart Downing
Stig-Inge Bjornebye
Suso
Titi Camara
Vegard Heggem
Vladimir Smicer
Xabi Alonso
Yossi Benayoun
Zak Whitbread

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri May 17, 2013 2:36 am

My god that just goes on to show how many absolute worthless scrubs we've had over the years in our team
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Fri May 17, 2013 4:21 am

Reina
Glen Johnson Henchoz Hyypia Carragher
Didi Gerrard
Suarez Macca Barnes
Fowler*

*or Torres / Owen

Best XI he's played with by ynwa. :coffee:

Bar Riise, we havn't really had a decent LB... and I rate GJ highly for him to get the nod over Markus Babbel.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Fri May 17, 2013 4:41 am

I've always had a soft spot for Finnan, to be honest. Felt he was another one of those players who was brilliantly consistent without necessarily being consistently brilliant. He always seems to get overlooked and underrated.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Fri May 17, 2013 4:48 am

Finnan was class. Gave it his and was quite consistent. Always did the job so I can see your thoughts on why he's underrated. With that said, Babbel is arguably the best full backs we've had in the last 15 years lol. He should probably be in the team before GJ, but I'm biased. Razz
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Sat May 18, 2013 11:44 am

I have a lot of respect for him. Was always a classy and great player. Wish him all the best.
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Sat May 18, 2013 5:32 pm

"Jamie is an icon – a Liverpool icon,” Drogba told LFC TV for a documentary on Carragher to be aired at 7pm on Friday, May 24th.
“16 years at the club, he has been the captain and a true leader. I think even now, he is still the leader of the team.

“He did a lot of things for the club, including winning the Champions League.

“I played a lot of games against him and it was always a battle. When
I thought I’d won the duel, he’d be there again, but it was always in a
good spirit.

“That’s what made him a great player.”

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Sat May 18, 2013 7:14 pm

RedOranje wrote:I've always had a soft spot for Finnan, to be honest. Felt he was another one of those players who was brilliantly consistent without necessarily being consistently brilliant. He always seems to get overlooked and underrated.

I would rate Finnan above Arbeola and perhaps Babel too. He was a very solid unfashionable player.

On the topic, it really makes me sad, angry and frustrated to see another Kop hero leaving without a Championship medal. He deserves better. Hope Gerrard has better luck.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sat May 18, 2013 8:31 pm

iftikhar wrote:
RedOranje wrote:I've always had a soft spot for Finnan, to be honest. Felt he was another one of those players who was brilliantly consistent without necessarily being consistently brilliant. He always seems to get overlooked and underrated.

I would rate Finnan above Arbeola and perhaps Babel too. He was a very solid unfashionable player.

On the topic, it really makes me sad, angry and frustrated to see another Kop hero leaving without a Championship medal. He deserves better. Hope Gerrard has better luck.

Loved Finnan as well. Never saw him make a stupid mistake. Always did his job well without getting much praise. Although I have to agree with ynwa, Marcus Babbel was arguably our best right back for the past 15 years.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat May 18, 2013 9:22 pm

Great read

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpools-jamie-carragher-retirement-before-1895193
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Badger Sat May 18, 2013 9:58 pm

I also had a lot of respect for Carragher, a great professional who was one of the few who shunned the limelight and was more occupied with his football than promoting himself.

The_Badger
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat May 18, 2013 10:02 pm

lol dat sly beckham dig.

btw can i ask you which club do you support ?
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Badger Sat May 18, 2013 10:03 pm

Carlisle Utd.

The_Badger
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat May 18, 2013 10:08 pm

League one :bow:
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next