Where would you rank Ronaldo among Madrid's greatest?

+23
Milan31
BarrileteCosmico
StrugaRock
Die Borussen
McAgger
The Sanchez
baresi
Onyx
Arquitecto
buddytaller
VanDeezNuts
FennecFox7
Adit
jibers
Lord Spencer
sportsczy
S
Kaladin
Zealous
windkick
Donuts
fatman123
Gil
27 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Where would you rank Ronaldo among Madrid's greatest? - Page 4 Empty Re: Where would you rank Ronaldo among Madrid's greatest?

Post by kiranr Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:21 pm

But it is not just because of Cruyff, the player, that he is considered a legend, don't you agree?

kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Where would you rank Ronaldo among Madrid's greatest? - Page 4 Empty Re: Where would you rank Ronaldo among Madrid's greatest?

Post by Zealous Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:47 pm

kiranr wrote:But it is not just because of Cruyff, the player, that he is considered a legend, don't you agree?

Of course I do. But Cruyff is obviously one of the best you ever had correct?
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:16 pm

I don't think you can really compare the criteria of becoming a Madrid legend to anywhere else. After this generation, Barca will be close to it. For example, once you have Messi, Iniesta and Xavi, it becomes really hard to be great in the same position afterwards. The standard is enormously high. Madrid set that standard in the 50s for its players and has mostly maintained it.

Abroad, you have similar things at Mila, Juve and Bayern.

Another issue for Ronaldo is that he is an absolute individualist both on the pitch and off of it. You can't point to intangibles with him. He's not a cantera, he's not a natural leader, he doesn't inspire, etc. He sets the hardest path for himself to reach legendary status.

I'll never consider him a legend even if he wins 10 CLs with Madrid as i think about it more. It's more than just football to become a Madrid legend in my mind. It's also about representing the values of Real Madrid.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:22 pm

Gil wrote:
1. Alfredo Di Stefano
2. Ferenc Puskas
3. Raul
4. Iker Casillas
5. Zinedine Zidane
6. Cristiano Ronaldo
7. Hugo Sanchez
8. Fernando Hierro
9. Roberto Carlos
10. Santiago Bernabeu - Default really

It's quite telling that a team with so many titles as Madrid has such a poor legends.

Hierro, Raul, Bernabeu or Hugo Sanchez in a top 10.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:23 pm

sportsczy wrote: It's also about representing the values of Real Madrid.

Values of Real Madrid? Very Happy

What are Real Madrid values? Please, educate me, I thing it has amusing potential.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:27 pm

sportsczy wrote:I don't think you can really compare the criteria of becoming a Madrid legend to anywhere else. After this generation, Barca will be close to it. For example, once you have Messi, Iniesta and Xavi, it becomes really hard to be great in the same position afterwards. The standard is enormously high. Madrid set that standard in the 50s for its players and has mostly maintained it.

Another issue for Ronaldo is that he is an absolute individualist both on the pitch and off of it. You can't point to intangibles with him. He's not a cantera, he's not a natural leader, he doesn't inspire, etc. He sets the hardest path for himself to reach legendary status.

I'll never consider him a legend even if he wins 10 CLs with Madrid as i think about it more. It's more than just football to become a Madrid legend in my mind. It's also about representing the values of Real Madrid.

Not a natural leader ? Ok maybe not, but he developed into one, you can see this in his attitude on the pitch. Doesn't inspire ? If scoring against Barca with sprained shoulder, if continuing on the pitch and scoring with his eye bandaged, pointing to the crest with his face full of blood are't inspiring, I don't know what the hell is.
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:28 pm

sportsczy wrote:I don't think you can really compare the criteria of becoming a Madrid legend to anywhere else. After this generation, Barca will be close to it. For example, once you have Messi, Iniesta and Xavi, it becomes really hard to be great in the same position afterwards. The standard is enormously high. Madrid set that standard in the 50s for its players and has mostly maintained it.

Really? The dude is a great example of being a great professional. Trains hard, plays hard and always wants to win. I wish more of our players had his "individualist attitude" if that's the case. He wore the arm band against Barca and he looked like he was Madrid captain for years, it was such a natural fit and he played great in that game, ran his socks off. "Doesn't inspire" how does that explain what all his team mates say about him? Hell even Zidane was impressed, that counts for something right?

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it but if Ronaldo leads us to a Champions League trophy the overwhelming majority will consider him a legend. The criteria you're talking about is "I should like him for me to consider him a legend" lol . Ronaldo represents the values of Madrid just fine from where I'm standing. Hard work, the unquenchable desire to win and to always get better. Ronaldo has all that in spades.

Last edited by Zealous on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:28 pm

free_cat wrote:

What are Real Madrid values? Please, educate me, I thing it has amusing potential.
Why would i waste my time on you lol...
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:32 pm

free_cat wrote:
Gil wrote:
1. Alfredo Di Stefano
2. Ferenc Puskas
3. Raul
4. Iker Casillas
5. Zinedine Zidane
6. Cristiano Ronaldo
7. Hugo Sanchez
8. Fernando Hierro
9. Roberto Carlos

It's quite telling that a team with so many titles as Madrid has such a poor legends.

You would say the same if our legends were swapped lol I hope no one takes your bait. :fishing:
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:35 pm

"I'm sad"

"Why don't people love and support me more"

"Humility is overrated. I feel like it's a sign of weakness"

"Being a Portuguese in Spain is not easy"

"PSG? Why not"

"People are jealous of me because i'm rich, talented and handsome"

I mean i can go on and on. You don't complain like a little girl every time you have a little adversity to deal with. You don't talk about being at other clubs publicly while playing at Madrid... it's beyond disrespectful. You don't say "I'm sad" when the club is struggling and they need you to be a leader.

Look at Iker. He has had every opportunity to talk to the media and lash out a bit. Instead, he is keeping everything private and remains respectful. That's a role model.... not one who acts like a diva and only thinks of himself.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:35 pm

sportsczy wrote:
free_cat wrote:

Values of the Bernabeu crowd (chants):

"Pepe kill him, Pepe kill him"
"*bleep* Barça and *bleep* catalunya"
"She's a whore, Shakira is a whore"
"Messi midget, your son is Cristiano's"
"To be a barça fan is to be a subnormal"
"Mourinho, your finger points our path"

+ Fascist flags almost every match in the stands.

Great values.

Last edited by free_cat on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:37 pm

Zealous wrote:
free_cat wrote:
Gil wrote:
1. Alfredo Di Stefano
2. Ferenc Puskas
3. Raul
4. Iker Casillas
5. Zinedine Zidane
6. Cristiano Ronaldo
7. Hugo Sanchez
8. Fernando Hierro
9. Roberto Carlos

You would say the same if our legends were swapped lol I hope no one takes your bait. :fishing:

Sure dude, sure: Ronaldinho, Messi, Laudrup, Cruyff, Maradona, Kubala, Samuel Eto'o, Iniesta, Xavi...

Barça legends are almost an all-time best XI.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:40 pm

free_cat forgot to take his meds again lol.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:42 pm

sportsczy wrote:free_cat forgot to take his meds again lol.

Don't know if you mean it because of the values or the legends, but those are true. Madrid fans have chanted all those things recently, and many of those chants all the stadium joint int.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:43 pm

free_cat wrote:
Zealous wrote:
free_cat wrote:

Sure dude, sure: Ronaldinho, Messi, Laudrup, Cruyff, Maradona, Kubala, Samuel Eto'o, Iniesta, Xavi...

Maradona a Barca legend ? Eto'o ? I can name at least 10 RM strikers that were better. Di Stefano was better than every player you've ever had.
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:44 pm

free_cat wrote:
sportsczy wrote:
free_cat wrote:

Great values.

Do you remember when 'Barca legend' Eto'o sang 'Madrid cabron, saluda al campeon'?

Or Mr humble and respectful said that Madrid players are animals ?
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:50 pm

likeastar wrote:
free_cat wrote:
Zealous wrote:

Maradona a Barca legend ? Eto'o ? I can name at least 10 RM strikers that were better. Di Stefano was better than every player you've ever had.

One of the best players in history like Maraonda not a Barça legend?
If you don't like Eto'o, put there Stoitchkove, Ronaldo or Romario, don't worry.
And obviously no, Di Stefano is not better than any player we've ever had and you know that quite well.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:51 pm

likeastar wrote:
free_cat wrote:
sportsczy wrote:

Great values.

Do you remember when 'Barca legend' Eto'o sang 'Madrid cabron, saluda al campeon'?

Or Mr humble and respectful said that Madrid players are animals ?

Sure I do, but 1 person =/= a group of person.

The only insulting chant at those level the barça fans use regularly is "That portuguese is a son of a bitch" either to Cristiano or Mourinho. Don't agree with it, but it's a much more unusual thing that the hatred that comes from the Bernabeu and all their insulting fans every match.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:52 pm

sportsczy wrote:"I'm sad"

"Why don't people love and support me more"

"Humility is overrated. I feel like it's a sign of weakness"

"Being a Portuguese in Spain is not easy"

"PSG? Why not"

"People are jealous of me because i'm rich, talented and handsome"

I mean i can go on and on. You don't complain like a little girl every time you have a little adversity to deal with. You don't talk about being at other clubs publicly while playing at Madrid... it's beyond disrespectful. You don't say "I'm sad" when the club is struggling and they need you to be a leader.

Look at Iker. He has had every opportunity to talk to the media and lash out a bit. Instead, he is keeping everything private and remains respectful. That's a role model.... not one who acts like a diva and only thinks of himself.

You completely misquoted some of those Laughing

But every person (let alone player) has defects and that is Ronaldo's. He isn't good with the media, shame he doesn't have a journalist girlfriend to make complaining easier huh? :whistle:

As for lack of support he had a point, Iker voted for fcking Ramos in the Balon D'Or vote and told the world via twitter. What type of message does that send? Is that how any other club in the world treats it's best player? Cristiano is a clutz in the media but despite some of the things he's said (which btw he does because he's a guy who wears his heart on his sleeve) he's always played hard on the field and didn't let things affect his performance.

You think other Madrid legends weren't handfuls in terms of personality? Don Alfredo had a notorious ego. Juanito, a club legend had his problems as well. Raul was famous for having complete control over the dressing room and pretty much forced his way into the starting line up for every game regardless of his form, that seems pretty selfish to me.

Anyway like I said you have your opinion of Cristiano and that's fine but don't be surprised if he becomes a club legend according to many if we win the 10th.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:53 pm

Maradona got introduced to cocaine in Barcelona. Fun little tid bit.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:55 pm

free_cat wrote:
likeastar wrote:
free_cat wrote:

One of the best players in history like Maraonda not a Barça legend?
If you don't like Eto'o, put there Stoitchkove, Ronaldo or Romario, don't worry.
And obviously no, Di Stefano is not better than any player we've ever had and you know that quite well.

Romario, Maradona and Ronaldo played 1-2 years for Barca, and you call them Barca legends ?
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:56 pm

Iker doesn't like CR7 and vice versa. It's not a secret. Iker wanted to vote for Iniesta probably but couldn't because of the Madrid v Barca thing... so he made his vote irrelevant by voting for Ramos. I think that was rather well done.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:58 pm

You lot suck.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4