Milantildeath
Blackmore.
DeviAngel
Onyx
juventus101
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is the 4-4-2 gone? Empty Is the 4-4-2 gone?

Post by juventus101 Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:15 pm

Is it gone? The 4-4-2 is not really used by any top teams anymore, whereaa 10 years ago and even less, even 5 years ago it was still the most prominent. The traditional second striker is also hone now as most formations other than the 4-4-2 use only 1 main target man. So is the SS position and 4-4-2 formation both gone?
juventus101
juventus101
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Is the 4-4-2 gone? Empty Re: Is the 4-4-2 gone?

Post by Onyx Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:36 pm

Yeh, not a lot of top teams use 4-4-2 nowadays. It's usually a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3.

If teams do use a 4-4-2, they might get outnumbered in midfield. Plus there's a lot of attacking midfielders.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by DeviAngel Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:51 pm

Wasn't Utd using 4-4-2 diamond ? That fomartion is still usable
DeviAngel
DeviAngel
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackmore. Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:53 am

Sir Alex still uses the 4411 and is going strong with it.
Blackmore.
Blackmore.
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Milantildeath Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:46 am

The only top team I can think of who uses it on a consistent basis is Manchester United. Ronaldo made his name in a 4-4-2. It's sad to see it fade away though. Zlatan Ibrahimovic actually loves the 4-4-2 and asks for it at almost every club he is at.
Milantildeath
Milantildeath
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutti Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:52 am

442 is still used by many PL clubs including MU (obviously).

Even City deployed the formation in a number of games this season.
Dutti
Dutti
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:07 am

4-4-2 can easily become a 4-2-3-1, because you can't play with two target men, one of the 2 forwards was always playing deeper.
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:43 am

technically yes. it is virtually gone. but honestly from my point of view formations now-a-days are almost irrelevant. what matters most are the players.

what i mean is that during the course of a match a team can look like 20 different formations, players push up, spread out, drop deep, pinch in etc. and this all effects formation.

for instance- ive seen quite a few times where madrid look like they are playing a 4-4-2 when ronaldo pushes up. di maria floats to the left and ozil to the right and bam, pretty distinct 4-4-2.

so are teams setting tactics to be based around a 4-4-2 playing style? -not really, not nearly as much as it used to and is practically only left to a few teams in the bpl.

BUT situationally it exists, and pretty much all teams have times when they will play a 4-4-2 in the course of a match.

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:59 pm

5 years ago the most prominent? Your like 15 years off or more.

Nobody puts 2 out and out strikers in front anymore and they havent for years.

Seecond striker is not gone, it can be basically in the 4231, the central player in the "3" can be a second striker or a number 10, depends on that player.

Anyways, all formations are relative. The players dictate what it becomes and its usually different on defence than it is to offence

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:30 pm

Nowdays formation changes very often during the game depending on the result.
Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:35 pm

Man U play 442 with Rooney.  PSG play 442 with Ibra.  Chelsea are moving towards a 442 with mata right behind Ba with Ramirez and Hazard attacking the wings.

442 is coming back in a big way.  It's too hard to find midfielders that are multi-faceted enough to run a two man midfield.  Depending on whether you have better wingers or better CMs, you see either a 433 or 442.  I always thought the 4231 was flawed because the midfield is too thin.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:36 pm

and the 442 is not about two CFs... it has always been about a SS and a CF.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Mac Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:45 pm

we roll it out essentially every week...rooney plays behind RVP....some days Rooney is moer of a attack midfielder then a SS tho, but still essentially we play it all the time.
B-Mac
B-Mac
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:55 pm

Formations only matter when defending as far as I'm concerned.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:28 pm

Question of definition, if your CAM/SS doesn't help out much in defence, you're playing a 4-4-2 whether you like it or not.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:39 pm

a 4-2-3-1 is more of a 4-3-3, depends on how the CAM plays, in some cases it may become a 4-4-2.
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:47 pm

sportsczy wrote:and the 442 is not about two CFs... it has always been about a SS and a CF.

No, not always....which is why I contend that is indeed dead.

Arsenal, Blackburn, Newcastle and many others have had very popular 442's with 2 real CF's.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lupi Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:54 pm

:coffee: classic left mid and right mids like beckham are not that many in football right now . mostly managers want them to engage in attack therefore wingers are more than classic mids nowadays . 4-2-4 does not provide a strong midfield so they drop a striker in favor of the midfield and you get 4-3-3 .
or the easiest way that by dropping one striker into CF or SS 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1 in made .
Lupi
Lupi
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:56 pm

Well, here are some famous striking duos where one was the creator and the other the pure scorer when both could be scorers and have been: Bebeto/Romario, Trezeguet/Del Piero, Platini/Rocheteau, etc.

For now, you have Rooney/RVP, Suarez/Cavani, Messi/Higuain, etc. At Juve, you're going to have Vucinic and Llorente soon with Pogba going in and Marchision pushing wide left + Vidal wide right. PSG want to get either Higuain or Benzema to play with Ibra. If Madrid pass on Falcao, they'll go after Falcao. Mata is playing more like a SS/AM combo, which is why he's scoring so many goals. His positioning and runs are now on goal. City do it as well with 2 of Aguero/Tevez/Dzeko.

As i mentioned, most teams are going towards 443 or 442 or both. Big reason is that fullbacks are just not that good right now + most of the great creative players like to drift to a wing (Ozil, Silva, etc.).

Just my opinion though.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:06 pm

Sure Sport,mostly true.

But I am talking about say in mid 90's PL the likes of Arsenal with Ian Wright and Kevin Campbell, Blackburn with Alan Shearer and Chris Sutton, Newcastle with Bellamy/Kluivert briefly and Alan Shearer..any many more..The PL had straight 442 for years...that is what is dead and died long ago mostly.

You still get odd exceptions like Stoke.

When we speak of a striker and then a Del Piero behind, or a Zola for Chelsea or now Rooney behind or Mata, whoever the case may be, thats a different thing and that will likely always be around because it just makes sense to have a player to link the lines together. That I consider different to 442 and make a point of separating that type of thing.

In England, they caught on pretty late and the concept of linking the lines isnt one they knew about. Which why even now, some teams are still stuck in the idea of wing play-crosses and direct football with little control over the game. That is dying too, but the fact its still around in any way is to me crazy, but more importantly shows the slowness for teams/coaches to get with the program.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:31 pm

Tbf Dani that 4-4-2 we had under Robson wasn't really a straight 4-4-2....

Bellamy, Speed and Dyer would hover off Shearer with Robert and Solano on the wings.

That was one of the reasons we conceded so many goals ( other than the fact individually the defence wasn't all that) we would empty the midfield constantly.

It was a frightening prospect going forward because we had such pace and ability combined with guile and skill and a set piece threat.

But defensively it was a joke at times Laughing

Even the 4-4-2 under Keegan wasn't either arguably..... 1 of our strikers would often drift wide and Beardsley would operate in the "hole" with fullbacks bombing on and Ginola providing genuine width.

Tbh the idea of a straight 4-4-2 isn't often successful and hasn't been for a very long time.

But a 4-4-2 that can combine into 4-2-3-1 and other systems by players dropping into other areas is and still is to this day.

PSG are an example of it, Man Utd are quite a few others.

Really it depends what you're asking, is straight 4-4-2 dead? yes it has been for a long long time is a flexible 4-4-2 with players dropping into space while retaining that 2 striker threat dead? no far from it.

Is the 4-4-2 gone? Avg_po10

This is an average position graphic from our win against Chelsea a couple of weeks back.... now what formation does that look like to you?

It looks like a 4-4-2 to me, difference being is one of the forwards will drop back and the fullbacks are almost like extra wingers to allow sustained pressure and midfield numbers while the actual wingers will tend to drift inside to help with build up.

I don't think 4-4-2 is dead personally, it really depends on who you use those 2 strikers and midfielders to drop into space to counter the numbers of a 4-3-3.

A flat 4-4-2 is definitely dead though.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:01 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Tbf Dani that 4-4-2 we had under Robson wasn't really a straight 4-4-2....

Bellamy, Speed and Dyer would hover off Shearer with Robert and Solano on the wings.

That was one of the reasons we conceded so many goals ( other than the fact individually the defence wasn't all that) we would empty the midfield constantly.

It was a frightening prospect going forward because we had such pace and ability combined with guile and skill and a set piece threat.

But defensively it was a joke at times Laughing

Even the 4-4-2 under Keegan wasn't either arguably..... 1 of our strikers would often drift wide and Beardsley would operate in the "hole" with fullbacks bombing on and Ginola providing genuine width.

Tbh the idea of a straight 4-4-2 isn't often successful and hasn't been for a very long time.

But a 4-4-2 that can combine into 4-2-3-1 and other systems by players dropping into other areas is and still is to this day.

PSG are an example of it, Man Utd are quite a few others.

Really it depends what you're asking, is straight 4-4-2 dead? yes it has been for a long long time is a flexible 4-4-2 with players dropping into space while retaining that 2 striker threat dead? no far from it.

Is the 4-4-2 gone? Avg_po10

This is an average position graphic from our win against Chelsea a couple of weeks back.... now what formation does that look like to you?

It looks like a 4-4-2 to me, difference being is one of the forwards will drop back and the fullbacks are almost like extra wingers to allow sustained pressure and midfield numbers while the actual wingers will tend to drift inside to help with build up.

I don't think 4-4-2 is dead personally, it really depends on who you use those 2 strikers and midfielders to drop into space to counter the numbers of a 4-3-3.

A flat 4-4-2 is definitely dead though.

Well I would argue in Shearer's later days, they required Bellamy's pace so he ran off of Shearers flick ons and that is a classic proponent of the old 442. Beardsley of course not, he was one of the few England players who understand the lines at the time.

But overall we are in the same place, I agree.

I think we all agree having a player drop off the front and then go on to be an additional scoring threat later on the move still exists and I think it will always because I think its always great when you can have some players in your team do multiple roles.

The thing is, I for one think its important to distinguish the difference between this and 442..because they are not the same. As you said, the answer to the question is what are you talking about when you say 442.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Grooverider Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:43 pm

Not for the En-ger-lund NT, for some odd reason they think it actually works and will lead them to glory scratch
Grooverider
Grooverider
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:44 pm

We played 4-3-3 against Brazil
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:52 pm

For England I think it makes sense we play a 1 striker formation since we only have like 1 elite striker.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum