If Arsenal don't win the CL/finish 4th, is it time for Wenger to get sacked/leave?

+43
Peccadillo
Mr. Moratti
spanky
Zealous
nasir6371
iftikhar
Helmer
OLpower
RealGunner
Great Leader Sprucenuce
sportsczy
the xcx
halamadrid2
lenear1030
Forza
Berbaflop
Raptorgunner
Mr Nick09
baresi
McAgger
TalkingReckless
S
DeletedUser#1
Dnmac4
Swanhends
Casciavit
Bear
rwo power
Ganso
Jay29
Kaladin
Highburied
Cassius
Motogp69
LeBéninois
Grooverider
Art Morte
VanDeezNuts
Donuts
Lex
timzink
VendettaRed07
Onyx
47 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

If Arsenal don't win the CL/finish 4th, is it time for Wenger to get sacked/leave? Empty If Arsenal don't win the CL/finish 4th, is it time for Wenger to get sacked/leave?

Post by Onyx Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:29 am

I mean they haven't won a trophy in 8 years. How can a top elite club like Arsenal be happy with this?

Apparently they have the money to buy top players, however they have a 'buy cheap' policy. That obviously isn't working.

If Chelsea/Real Madrid/Barca didn't win a trophy in 8 years, their manager would surely be sacked.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

If Arsenal don't win the CL/finish 4th, is it time for Wenger to get sacked/leave? Empty Re: If Arsenal don't win the CL/finish 4th, is it time for Wenger to get sacked/leave?

Post by VendettaRed07 Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:37 am

I just don't see the board sacking him under any circumstance short of getting relegated. He has too much power at the club for that. The only way he leaves is if he steps down imo.
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

If Arsenal don't win the CL/finish 4th, is it time for Wenger to get sacked/leave? Empty Re: If Arsenal don't win the CL/finish 4th, is it time for Wenger to get sacked/leave?

Post by timzink Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:47 am

its likely that if the managers at those clubs didnt win trophies within 2 years they would get sacked, let alone 8 .

Arsene Wenger is an excellent manager and he should be allowed to see out his contract . Given how much Arsenal spend in wages in relation to other clubs in the premier league, they have actually been performing as expected over the last few years in terms of league positions . In the cups Arsenal have been disappointing . Nothing would be gained from sacking Wenger, let him see out his contract . His biggest failures are the lack of tactical plans in the team and their chronic defensive weakeness as well as the signing of players who everyone knew were not of the highest quality like Squillaci and while allowing better quality players to run down their contracts .
timzink
timzink
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:48 am

Wenger is above the board. He'll leave on his own terms
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:48 am

They need to spend money and get rid of this buy cheap random players strategy, it is appealing and everything but after so little success something needs to change, and I don't think it has to be Wenger.
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:55 am

Donuts wrote:They need to spend money and get rid of this buy cheap random players strategy
I don't understand this statement. Who have we bought that's cheap? We've spent quite a considerable amount on players, but it looks insignificant compared to the reckless spending of teams like Chelsea, City and even Liverpool. Most of the players Wenger's signed (Cazorla, Giroud, Podolski, Arteta, Mertesacker) have done a good job and all were bought for quite a hefty amount
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:58 am

If he doesnt resign or doesnt get the sack after this season I predict he will die on the job at the ripe age of 1000.

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:01 am

For the record, the Squillaci and Santos signings were a fcking disgrace, that money could have been used to buy Bebe or Scott Sinclair
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:04 am

He's a top, top manager, but cold hard results are stacking against him. Eight years without a trophy and if they miss out on the CL spots, it just might be the time to let him go. But I believe he really is a world-class manager and replacing him might not turn things around for Arsenal - in fact it might even turn them for the worse, but that's the risk that is starting to seem quite justifiable.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:18 am

Art Morte wrote:He's a top, top manager, but cold hard results are stacking against him. Eight years without a trophy and if they miss out on the CL spots, it just might be the time to let him go. But I believe he really is a world-class manager and replacing him might not turn things around for Arsenal - in fact it might even turn them for the worse, but that's the risk that is starting to seem quite justifiable.
And thats the fear. Thats one reason why he has not been let go. Fear that it will be just the beginning of a downward spiral that we will never climb out of.

People say, well at any other big club, had a manager not won anything in 8 years he would be let go.. But any other big club can replace their manager and reload their squad without much risk.
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:27 am

Lex wrote:
Donuts wrote:They need to spend money and get rid of this buy cheap random players strategy
I don't understand this statement. Who have we bought that's cheap? We've spent quite a considerable amount on players, but it looks insignificant compared to the reckless spending of teams like Chelsea, City and even Liverpool. Most of the players Wenger's signed (Cazorla, Giroud, Podolski, Arteta, Mertesacker) have done a good job and all were bought for quite a hefty amount
Theres just a problem with the transfer mentality. We buy players for a lot of money, but don't shell out that extra bit of cash to get that special player. Like not forking out an extra three million to get Juan Mata, we'd rather spend slightly less and get the next best option. I just don't think thats the right way to go about transfers.

You can't just spend 4-10m on each player and hope for the best. Because while it does turn out well for us some of the time, you get too many mediocre players with that mentality who we rely on too much
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Grooverider Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:43 am

Lex wrote:Wenger is above the board. He'll leave on his own terms

This is a very dangerous situation for Arsenal and the Fans, a manager who puts his own ego and agenda before the good of the club is going to end in disaster, one might say zero trophies in the last eight years makes this obvious.
Grooverider
Grooverider
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:16 am

VendettaRed07 wrote:
Lex wrote:
Theres just a problem with the transfer mentality. We buy players for a lot of money, but don't shell out that extra bit of cash to get that special player. Like not forking out an extra three million to get Juan Mata, we'd rather spend slightly less and get the next best option. I just don't think thats the right way to go about transfers.

You can't just spend 4-10m on each player and hope for the best. Because while it does turn out well for us some of the time, you get too many mediocre players with that mentality who we rely on too much

The main problem is there. We don't even need to spend like crazy.
The last guy we were willing to pay the real price for is Arshavin and it was great deal after all.
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:16 am

I figured at this point he would of moved on to another "project". Overall, I think he's just gotten stale in his ideas and doesn't really "coach" or create talent anymore. I think it would be best for both sides if they moved on. I doubt he'll leave though unless Barcelona or Madrid come calling at the end of the season.
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:24 am

Mourinho's probably above the board at Real Madrid, however he's been given that freedom because we need to win trophies. However Wenger's not really doing much at Arsenal.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassius Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:43 am

Who would they replace him with exactly? I agree he needs to go but for who? are there any established managers available that would go to arsenal or do they have a competent assistent that can fill in or what?
Cassius
Cassius
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:44 am

Cassius_Case wrote:Who would they replace him with exactly? I agree he needs to go but for who? are there any established managers available that would go to arsenal or do they have a competent assistent that can fill in or what?

Mourinho? hmm

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:53 am

Arsenal FC is at a situation like a thin line between becoming a world class team or Liverpool FC.

With or without Wenger, our board should be prepared to support the manager with funds.

But games like today has nothing to do with money or lack of spending.

Its simply a disaster for Wenger and his choice for a line up and players for their shit performance.

Todays loss has no explanation.
Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:58 am

#ZemanToArsenal #SaveArsenal
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassius Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:02 am

Redknapp? hmm :coffee:
Cassius
Cassius
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:18 am

Motogp69 wrote:I figured at this point he would of moved on to another "project". Overall, I think he's just gotten stale in his ideas and doesn't really "coach" or create talent anymore. I think it would be best for both sides if they moved on. I doubt he'll leave though unless Barcelona or Madrid come calling at the end of the season.

I agree with this, pretty much. We've gone through the same problems for a decent number of seasons now and there's been a clear degradation from 10/11 to 11/12 and, again, to 12/13. Our win percentage this season is the lowest in Wenger's reign and it'd be quite an accomplishment if we finish in the top four again.

For me, I want a change regardless. Not because I don't think top four is good enough, or because I'm under some delusion that we're a "top elite club", but because I can't see us improving a whole lot going forward with Wenger still in charge. I genuinely believe we need some new ideas.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:21 am

Sick of this buying cheap thing.Maybe they arent paying a lot but they are getting great players like Cazorla,Giroud,Podolski,Monreal etc.

this arsenal squad is good enough to get a top 4 spot, period.
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:23 am

If Arsenal is buying cheaply, what do you make of Dortmund whose most expensive buys from 2005 to 2011 (with Reus in 2012 the notable exception) cost 5 mio Euros? You don't have to spend wildly to create a top squad. You just need good scouting.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:26 am

Even if they do finish top 4, they still aren't winning anything. They seem pretty content with finishing in the top 4 every season, when they should be going for the EPL/CL.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:26 am

2012-13 dortmund wouldnt finish top 4 in the pl imo
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next