Mamad
RealGunner
izzy
EarlyPrototype
The Devil
Gil
13 posters

Go down

Was Roberto Carlos a Great defender? Empty Was Roberto Carlos a Great defender?

Post by Gil Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:14 pm

Finding it hard to decide who was the worse defender between him and Marcelo.

Didn't have the privilege of consistently watching him in his prime but in the latter stages of his career I honestly believe Marcelo was the better individual defender.
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Was Roberto Carlos a Great defender? Empty Re: Was Roberto Carlos a Great defender?

Post by Guest Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:16 pm

Gil wrote:Finding it hard to decide who was the worse defender between him and Marcelo.

Didn't have the privilege of consistently watching him in his prime but in the latter stages of his career I honestly believe Marcelo was the better individual defender.

Roberto Carlos was a very good full back.Neutral

Back to top Go down

Was Roberto Carlos a Great defender? Empty Re: Was Roberto Carlos a Great defender?

Post by The Devil Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:19 pm

In his prime he played in two of the best attacking sides of all time, Real Madrid late 90's early 2000's and the Brazil 2002 side.

I would personally say he's one of the best full backs of all time, that must surely answer your question as Marcelo isn't even close to being the best in this era.
The Devil
The Devil
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:19 pm

You ask "Was Roberto Carlos a Great defender"?

Then you say you find it hard to distinguish between him and Marcelo....

You probably answered your own question...
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by izzy Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:22 pm

Recovery speed covers up a lot of cracks, especially the 3-5-2.
izzy
izzy
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:25 pm

He wasn't a "great" defender but he was a "good" defender. Miles better than Marcelo.

As an overall Fullback, one of the best of all time.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Mamad Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:28 pm

Roberto Carlos was a beast. this  Marcelo is nowhere near him. Marcelo was miles better 2 years ago.
Mamad
Mamad
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:33 pm

He practically played as a wing back in Madrid's 3-5-2 and for the national team too with both he and Cafu bombing on.

In short he was a decent defender, nothing outstanding but his offensive talents far outshone that.

I'd say his defence was probably around Alves level.... good but not great.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:44 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:He practically played as a wing back in Madrid's 3-5-2 and for the national team too with both he and Cafu bombing on.

In short he was a decent defender, nothing outstanding but his offensive talents far outshone that.

Thanks best answer so far.
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:48 pm

Gil wrote:
Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:He practically played as a wing back in Madrid's 3-5-2 and for the national team too with both he and Cafu bombing on.

Why ask a question and then pick out one single negative Carlos opinion and decide that is the one I'm going to go with?

It's like you already had the answer in your head and wanted someone to tell you you're right, the truth is you will never find a single football pundit or anyone with notable football knowledge that would claim Marcelo (not assured of a first team place at Madrid) is anything near as good a footballer as a Roberto Carlos.
The Devil
The Devil
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:51 pm

Lol you will get used to him The Devil
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:55 pm

The Devil wrote:
Gil wrote:

Why ask a question and then pick out one single negative Carlos opinion and decide that is the one I'm going to go with?

It's like you already had the answer in your head and wanted someone to tell you you're right, the truth is you will never find a single football pundit or anyone with notable football knowledge that would claim Marcelo (not assured of a first team place at Madrid) is anything near as good a footballer as a Roberto Carlos.

The original question was intended to pertain to his defending ALONE not his overall qualities. I think even the most casual football fan would be able to allude to the fact Carlos was exceptional going forward even though his free kicks were massively overrated.

Mole is the only poster to describe his defensive qualities in detail so far.

We all know Marcelo is utter shit defensively, wanted to see if Carlos was just as bad, simply a marginal defender or better.

Seems like he was just average throughout his career.
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:01 pm

Gil wrote:
The Devil wrote:
Gil wrote:

The original question was intended to pertain to his defending ALONE not his overall qualities. I think even the most casual football fan would be able to allude to the fact Carlos was exceptional going forward even though his free kicks were massively overrated.

Mole is the only poster to describe his defensive qualities in detail.

He was underrated as a defender as he didn't have to do much but when called upon he had enough pace and power to get back from a wing position and help defend for his team. Do you honestly think Real Madrid won two Champions league's and Brazil won a world cup with a player so weak at full back?

As for Mole I don't know the lad and I would never question his football knowledge as he could be well up on the sport but he's 23 years old and when Carlos was in his prime he was about 9 to 10 years old.

Personally his power and strength make him a better player than Dani Alves has ever been, that's not knocking Alves as he's a great full back. I certainly would never judge a player on his ability to hit a free kick, otherwise I'd think Nakamura was a greatest of all time.

The truth is we're judging outstanding players against outstanding players and it's pretty pointless.
The Devil
The Devil
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by elitedam Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:09 pm

He was a good defender but he was capable of making some god awful errors. Much, much better than Marcelo though.
elitedam
elitedam
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:12 pm

Yeah Devil i'm just saying from what i remember, not saying any of it is fact.

Also i agree he's better than Alves i was talking about purely defense.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by sbaggio Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:13 pm

Was Maldini classy, was Nesta good looking, does Rooney look like Shrek, is John Terry a scum bag, does s**t stink?...... :coffee:
sbaggio
sbaggio
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Berbatov Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:25 pm

i've never seen him play but i think he was a horrible defender.
Berbatov
Berbatov
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Real Betis

Back to top Go down

Post by Milantildeath Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:27 pm

He was no Maldini in defense, but he was a very solid one on one defender.
Milantildeath
Milantildeath
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:28 am

Defensively he was a Maicon (prime miacon) offensively he was even better. He might have a reputation that is a little bigger than his actual abilities thanks to some amazing goals but calling him a bad defender or comparing his with Marcelo is stretching it too far in my opinion.
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:03 pm

Roberto Carlos, one of my all time favourites, he was a monster. Going forward he walks over anybody today as well. He was second best player in the world for a year behind Ronaldo.

Defending obviously not as good, but not bad, but prone to be unsafe and mistakes....otherwise great pace and takes care of his side....
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down