Crystal Palace 0 - 2 Arsenal: We won. Somehow.

+13
urbaNRoots
Twoism
Wilson37
SamuelJayC
DuringTheWar
Chumlum
lenear1030
REWB
sportsczy
RealGunner
beatrixasdfghjk.
Raptorgunner
Jay29
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Crystal Palace 0 - 2 Arsenal: We won. Somehow.  Empty Crystal Palace 0 - 2 Arsenal: We won. Somehow.

Post by Jay29 Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:14 pm

It's fair to say that wasn't a vintage Arsenal performance. After Wenger commented that a couple of players were a bit jaded after the Dortmund game on Tuesday, he surprised nobody by only making the one change: Flamini back into the side for Wilshere, who had a slight ankle knock. Rather predictably, our first half performance was laboured. I can't recall the last time we didn't looked jaded the game after a Champions League game.

Arsenal managed aroud 85% possession in the opening twenty minutes, but only mustered one attempt on goal when Sagna's deep cross was headed over by Giroud. Palace were defending very well and were strong in the challenge without being overly physical, while our passing and movement was too slow. There were no sensational one-touch football, just a lot of boring sideways passing that got us nowhere. Palace, meanwhile, had managed four attempts on goal, albeit three of them were from distance. Still, they made more opportunities to shoot at goal despite going so long without the ball. But for Chamakh missing a guilt edged chance, we would have gone in behind and Palace would have been good value for that lead.

The only joy Arsenal got was down Palace's left hand side, where Sagna, Cazorla and Özil all got in behind on separate occasions. Unfortunately, the final ball was often poor, either going behind the player waiting in the box or not even reaching him.

It's hard to determine whether playing Monreal, Vermaelen and Rosicky would have much difference to the Arsenal performance, but I'm of the opinion that some fresh legs would have gone some way towards making tiredness less of a problem. We have a squad for a reason, after all. Still, we had the second half to improve.

Games are often decided by a single player making a mistake and that's what happened in the second half when Gnabry was brought down in the area. Gnabry had made a positive impact when he came on with his skill and he tempted the Palace defender into a rash challenge. Arteta stepped up and put away a great penalty to give us an undeserved lead.

At this point, with a full compliment of players, I think Arsenal would have gone on to control the game and maybe grab a second goal, but the red card changed the game again. Arsenal lost the ball cheaply after a set-piece and hadn't left much defensive cover. A single long ball set Chamakh away, he and Arteta collided and Arteta was sent off for a professional foul. I thought it was the wrong decision. Arteta barely fouls Chamakh; he was stopped by his and Arteta's legs getting tangled. Chamakh was about 40-50 yards away from goal, and Arsenal had one other player tracking back. Had play continued, that player probably would have caught up. So I don't see how it was a clear scoring opportunity.

So barely even a foul + no clear scoring opportunity = red card, apparently. Right.

Nonetheless, we had to see out a large portion of the second half with ten men and it wasn't easy. Giroud missed a sitter that would have ended the game there and then, and Palace were playing with more confidence. One of their players rattled the cross bar with a great strike from the edge of the box, and then Szczesny had to pull out an excellent save to deny Jedinek scoring a volley not long after. Later on, Chamakh had a great chance to equalise, but hesitated in the way that only Chamakh can and we got away with it.

Arsenal are usually good when they're backs are against the wall and when they got another chance to end it, they did. Ramsey broke forward and did very well to hold onto the ball while Giroud made his run. He crossed it in, and Giroud nodded the ball into the bottom corner.

It goes without saying that Arsenal would have preferred an easier time of it. Flamini's injury is a concern with the games we have coming up, and Arteta's red card meant that we couldn't rest any of our key men and the likes of Ramsey and Giroud had to put in some amazing work for the sake of the team. Tactically, there's not an awful lot to take from the game. If there was any problem, it was the lack of rotation. Though we won the game, you fear that some players are playing too much at this stage.

Continuity is very important for a successful side, but the Premier League is a marathon, not a sprint. Arsenal have tackled the first quarter of it full throttle, sweeping teams aside. But now we're approaching a tricky obstacle course and need as fit and as fresh a squad as possible.

Let's end this on a bright note, though. We didn't play well, but still won the game and are now five points clear at the top of the table, albeit having played a game extra. Regardless of what happens else where, we will be going into the Liverpool game next Saturday as leaders. That sounds good.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Crystal Palace 0 - 2 Arsenal: We won. Somehow.  Empty Re: Crystal Palace 0 - 2 Arsenal: We won. Somehow.

Post by Raptorgunner Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:21 pm

Big 3 points, Szczesny man of the match, those saves were unreal.

A much needed rest for the first team, I was worried about Ozil in the end glad he was ok.

Btw what happened to Flamini?
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Crystal Palace 0 - 2 Arsenal: We won. Somehow.  Empty Re: Crystal Palace 0 - 2 Arsenal: We won. Somehow.

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:33 pm

Flamini was taken off with a groin (?) injury. It was kind of random, so I hope it was more of a precaution than any serious injury.

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:46 pm

Pretttyy poor performance. Not a surprise either after the match against Dortmund.

But hey, 2-0. Not complaining. An away match out of the way too. Specially before Pulis took over.

Thought Szczesny was our best player. Could have easily dropped points if it wasn't for him.

Sagna was a beast too.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:50 pm

I'm not convinced that Cazorla and Ozil + 2 CMs is going to work. The play becomes very, very narrow. Fullbacks are not good at crossing... which would help.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:55 pm

sportsczy wrote:I'm not convinced that Cazorla and Ozil + 2 CMs is going to work.  The play becomes very, very narrow.  Fullbacks are not good at crossing... which would help.
this problem will be solved once one of walcott, ox or podolski come back.
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by lenear1030 Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:43 pm

This was a championship caliber victory today. Proud of our guys not only not conceding after the red card, but scoring another.

lenear1030
lenear1030
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:51 pm

Liverpool and United next 2 PL games

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:54 pm

we need to WIN, these games if we are going to win the title. is giroud up to it though? he is a decent player, but he pissed me off today with his lack of vision and overrall play, gives the ball away needlessly too much. man i wish we had a striker of the calibur of rvp still.
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:25 pm

Giroud's been playing very well lately and he got a goal - yet he still pissed you off REWB? Laughing
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:32 pm

lmao Thats the first time i have heard something negative about Giroud all day
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:44 pm

i guess i have been watching too much rvp and henry, my expectations are too high.
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:54 pm

It wasn't Giroud's best game today. His touch wasn't as good and he missed about two good opportunities. But to his credit, he kept working and got an important goal that secured the points for us which, at the end of day, is what we want him to do. Even van Persie and Henry have had days like that.

As for whether he'll be up for Liverpool and United, I don't see why he wouldn't be. He'll definitely not play against Chelsea, so he'll have a bit of a break and be fresher for Liverpool, who he scored against last season.

Besides, against Liverpool the key lies in how we stretch their three man defence and exploit space behind their wing backs, provided they play that formation. Giroud will have an important role, but the movement from the midfield will be more crucial, in my opinion.

Last edited by GoonerJay29 on Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:57 pm; edited 2 times in total

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:55 pm

Well nobody's saying Giroud is on that level, but he works hard for the team and his link-up play the last few months has been terrific. Plus he's been getting goals & assists. I mean geez, is it "WC or nothing"? Giroud is a good player and he's been very, very solid so far this campaign.

"I wish we also had a truly elite striker in the team; Giroud isn't quite it" seems reasonable to me.

"Giroud has been pissing me off (for not being Thierry Henry)" seems totally puzzling, I must admit.
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:03 pm

I cant see how even the most optimistic of fans aren't frustrated with giroud at times. Sometimes his decision making and ability on the ball is completely off, like it was at times today. Hes is just one of those players (not the only one in our team) that is capable looking good one day and looking like a scrub the next
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by lenear1030 Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:06 pm

Giroud looked a bit lackadazical at times, but I'm more than willing to give him a pass for it. He came through when we needed him to, plus he's our day-in day-out striker. He's rested one game (carling cup) iirc.
lenear1030
lenear1030
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:14 pm

Big result. Blow-par performance. Szczesny was outstanding, I thought Gnabry did well too. Disappointed with Cazorla, Ozil & Arteta - never got going, neither did Ramsey really, either.

Flamini (3 weeks) and Arteta (Chelsea game) will be missed, and we need players back quickly. Hopefully Theo soon.
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:31 pm

Giroud is fine. It wasn't an awful performance, he was just kind of average today. Mitigating circumstances - he was isolated up top when we went a man down. Plus he still got a goal. Even forwards out there better than Giroud still have off days like this, and wouldn't necessarily get a goal to seal the victory.

I just don't see any reason whatsoever to be angry at Giroud.
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:08 pm

this was a special match..
every team will have of matches.. but despite being poor almost the entire match and being down to 10 men.. we picked up right at that point to fight back and win 0-2.. we played better with 10 men than with 11.. showed the ability to up the game when it needed the most..

we started the match having loads of posession but ended up creating no chances.. while Palace looked more threatening with their energy on counters.. we were trying to play through the right through Sagna and Gnabry.. and Cazorla and Ozil had a poor match.. the movement which makes us dangerous was lacking.. players whenever got the ball received no support from he central midfield.. Giroud too was isolated without his interlink play.. Cazorla needs to learn to interlink and play wih movement.. he relies more on his individual skills.. while Wilshere and Rosicky could have done better contributing to the general play.. Ozil too was anonymous today.. and the left flank was totally left out which made he attacks narrow and defendable.. Gnabry, Ozil and Cazorla lost the ball too much.. Ramsey was the better of our midfielders.. finally Gnabry did well with his skills and won us a penalty.. Arteta scored and the game became more open.. and unfortunate happened.. it is ridiculous that no one was standing back for the corner.. usually Gibbs or Sagna would be tracking back.. Arteta had to stop the play and attempted a cheeky professional foul which ended in a red card..

the subs made by Wenger were spot on.. he decided to bring in Wilshere and Monreal who had an important impact on the result.. we did better with 10 men without succumbing to pressure bar some early saves by Sczeny.. and with Palace pushing for a point, chances were plenty to score the 2nd. but we had to be careful not to be caught with 10 men.. we did well to score the 2nd and win the game..

Sczeny - 7.5 top performance.. never looked troubled.. and some vital saves to win us the match.. mom
Sagna - 6.5 very good.. put some good crosses too..
Metskr - 6
Kos - 6.5
Gibbs - 6
Arteta - 6 cant blame him much for that foul.. great penalty..
Ramsey - 7 our best midfielder today.. nice assist.. just needs to make sure that he is not overconfident at times..
Wilshere - 7 looked really good..
Monreal - 6 made sure that the left flank too was involved in the game..
Ozil - 6 anonymous initially.. but showed his class when the game became for open..
Cazorla - 5.5 poor interlink play and passing.. was roaming here and there without any purpose..
Giroud - 5 wasted two free headrs and took somepoor decisions.. good for him that he scored to keep up his confidence..
Gnabry - 6 his direct game broke he deadlock.. good movement too.. but passing not upto the mark..
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:10 pm

sportsczy wrote:I'm not convinced that Cazorla and Ozil + 2 CMs is going to work.  The play becomes very, very narrow.  Fullbacks are not good at crossing... which would help.
Cazorla was poor.. he is more of an individual brilliance player.. his movement and interlink play with others is not so good.. Rosicky and Wilshere are better..
it is this movement and one touch passing which makes us dangerous.. otherwise we are too predictable and can be restricted easily when playing with 5 central midfielders.
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:12 pm

Saying Giroud can be frustrating is a fair criticism, I think. What I tend to notice with him is that he doesn't do the simple things well consistently. By that I mean that, as a target man, Giroud can often not do things like hold the ball up and play a simple pass to a team mate, or even convert simple chances consistently.

At the same time, he can bring the ball down from the air with some immaculate first touches, can play players in with deft touches and flicks round the corner and often scores from runs to the near post, which uses a more difficult technique.

Fortunately for us, it's that Giroud we've seen most this season. Eight goals and four assists already this season, so I can't complain too much.

On another note, what team are you guy's expecting to see on Tuesday? I think we could see:

Fabiasnki

Jenkinson - Koscielny - Vermaelen - Monreal

Hayden - Wilshere

Gnabry - Rosicky - Miyaichi

Bendtner

We'll probably go out, but needs must.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:51 pm

GoonerJay29 wrote:Saying Giroud can be frustrating is a fair criticism, I think. What I tend to notice with him is that he doesn't do the simple things well consistently. By that I mean that, as a target man, Giroud can often not do things like hold the ball up and play a simple pass to a team mate, or even convert simple chances consistently.

At the same time, he can bring the ball down from the air with some immaculate first touches, can play players in with deft touches and flicks round the corner and often scores from runs to the near post, which uses a more difficult technique.

Fortunately for us, it's that Giroud we've seen most this season. Eight goals and four assists already this season, so I can't complain too much.

On another note, what team are you guy's expecting to see on Tuesday? I think we could see:

Fabiasnki

Hayden - Wilshere

Gnabry - Rosicky - Miyaichi

Bendtner

We'll probably go out, but needs must.
Agree on that's Giroud biggest criticism. He's like a Hollywood front man. When things went right, his touches were just sublime and his passes could rival Ozil; but if not, he just looks frustrating and lazy at time. I've learnt to live with it and sofar it's working out well, to me he's the most important player on our squad list. Anyone you could replace and shuffle around a bit, with Giroud out, u have to go with either an underachieved Viking or a French virgin.
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:00 pm

I couldn't watch the game, but clean sheet, one goal atleast, 3 points... nice result in the end despite performance.

By the way, does anyone know if there are any sites where you can WATCH Arsenal games online rather than download? I know there's Arsenal Player but they won't upload the game tonight, any alternatives?
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:06 pm

and this is what home support means.. the crowd were behind them even when they went 0-1 behind.. our fans would have switched off and become silent..
and those who say our fans deserve more from the team.. Palace are 19th after losing 5 continuous games and have no chance of winning anything.. if so, how should the fans of PL leaders, CL group toppers should have reacted against Dortmund after a demolition against Norwich ?

and...
#CrystalPalace fans applauded #ArseneWenger when #Arsenal were leaving the field after the game.

That's a massive salute to their fans who were too much vocal in bits and pieces.
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:12 pm

I'd love to see this team

Viviano

Hayden - Frimpong

Gnabry - Zelalem/Wilshere- Miyaichi

Bendtner
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next