Was vidic at his peak good enough to be compared to thiago silva ?

+9
futbol
Ion Creanga
Mamad
M99
Valkyrja
Forza
juventus101
Pip
sree999
13 posters

Go down

Was vidic at his peak good enough to be compared to thiago silva  ? Empty Was vidic at his peak good enough to be compared to thiago silva ?

Post by sree999 Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:29 am

Was vidic at his peak good enough to be compared to thiago silva  ? BTKsxQfCIAAd-V7
sree999
sree999
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Was vidic at his peak good enough to be compared to thiago silva  ? Empty Re: Was vidic at his peak good enough to be compared to thiago silva ?

Post by Pip Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:49 am

Yes.

Vidic was a better defender in the box, but Silva is more complete than him. However, I do think Vidic has made more high-profile errors than Silva -- Torres in 2008, Eto'o in 2009, Messi in 2011 -- but he's been part of the best defensive pairing in the past 10 years in English football. However he has also made many lower profile errors that are usually brushed under the rug.

Vidic's clear weaknesses were his quickness and ball skills, which were alleviated by his partner in Ferdinand; however, Vidic often swept up after Ferdinand.

I do think that Vidic was arguably the best defender in the world from the period of 2008-2010, even when Ferdinand was out with his injuries.

Edit: Made an amendment from my other post (http://www.goallegacy.net/t33673p18-was-vidic-at-his-peak-good-enough-to-be-compared-to-thiago-silva#1105030)

Last edited by Pippo on Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Pip
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Was vidic at his peak good enough to be compared to thiago silva  ? Empty Re: Was vidic at his peak good enough to be compared to thiago silva ?

Post by juventus101 Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:21 am

Vidic was better. Thiago Silva is so overratedbjust because hes very fast and good offensively. Defensively, which is what matters for a defender, he is not as good as Chiellini or Barzagli, or a prime Vidic.
juventus101
juventus101
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:22 am

juventus101 wrote:Vidic was better. Thiago Silva is so overratedbjust because hes very fast and good offensively. Defensively, which is what matters for a defender, he is not as good as Chiellini or Barzagli, or a prime Vidic.
Classic juventus101. This thread is about Thiago Silva and Vidic man.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:30 am

juventus101 wrote:Vidic was better. Thiago Silva is so overratedbjust because hes very fast and good offensively. Defensively, which is what matters for a defender, he is not as good as Chiellini or Barzagli, or a prime Vidic.
rofl
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:13 am

Valkyrja wrote:
rofl
rofl

Look at his performance vs Barca in CL again. Very fast and good offensively, I don't even rofl
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mamad Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:30 am

Yes.
Mamad
Mamad
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Ion Creanga Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:05 am

Of course yes...
Milan fans, the fun thing is you probably lost a title when he couldn't stop fcking Matri to score the 1-1 goal on San Siro even if he held held him tight with his arms rofl

IMO Vidic was better.
Ion Creanga
Ion Creanga
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:51 am

I never rated Vidic that highly. I always regarded him as someone who could battle classic number 9s but struggle against pace and trickery. A simple flick by Eto'o made him spin like a battery charged dildo in the 2009 CL final and Torres used to make him look very silly in the Benitez days. And yes, he's not good on the ball which shouldn't be disregarded. The 3 best teams in Europe (Barca, Bayern, Dortmund) have one thing in common. They press high up the pitch. If you press high up the pitch against Chiellini and Vidic combo for example you can totally forget to build up from the back properly. People shouldn't laugh it off. Technical centerbacks aren't a luxury. They are a necessity in modern football tactics. Silva is miles ahead of Vidic in pretty much everything.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:08 pm

futbol wrote:I never rated Vidic that highly. I always regarded him as someone who could battle classic number 9s but struggle against pace and trickery. A simple flick by Eto'o made him spin like a battery charged dildo in the 2009 CL final and Torres used to make him look very silly in the Benitez days. And yes, he's not good on the ball which shouldn't be disregarded. The 3 best teams in Europe (Barca, Bayern, Dortmund) have one thing in common. They press high up the pitch. If you press high up the pitch against Chiellini and Vidic combo for example you can totally forget to build up from the back properly. People shouldn't laugh it off. Technical centerbacks aren't a luxury. They are a necessity in modern football tactics. Silva is miles ahead of Vidic in pretty much everything.
Yea, like those technica CBs chelsea had, or the technical cbs Inter had...A team plays to it's strenghts. BVB won't make it out of their group because Klopp is clueless at breaking down PTB teams
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by sree999 Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:18 pm

The thing about vidic is that he has found it difficult against nimble technical strikers . the amount of times he does shirt pulling is way too high .He usually gets some amount of the player and the ball in most of the challenges he does . He is very good at keeping the big no 9 quiet . esp bully dog brogba .
sree999
sree999
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:21 pm

Yes, you can compare him but he was still wasnt as good.

Coud be had by the quicker forwards in isolations, Torres and Etoo come straight to mind.

LOL at those Juve players being on Thiago Silva's level, let alone better.

Defensively (forget about with the ball and passing under pressure) Thiago Silva is clearly the best, I feel like people only argue it to go against the grain and be different.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:41 pm

Vidic of course was good enough to be compared but not fcking Chiellini and Barzagli rofl

M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by juventus101 Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:16 pm

M99 wrote:
Valkyrja wrote:
rofl
rofl

Look at his performance vs Barca in CL again. Very fast and good offensively, I don't even rofl
Which time? PSG vs Barca the first leg where PSG lost? The second leg where Messi came on late in the game and assisted the levelling goal almost immediately? Or Milan vs Barca where Nesta single-handidly shut down Messi, yet Silva couldnt cover guys like Pedro so they still always lost or tied?

And im the one thats delusional for saying Chiellini/Barzagli are better than Silva defensively, yet Milan fans and other Silva fanboys are trying to tell meyou cant even compare Chiellini or Barzagli to Silva? Haha what a joke. At least I know theyre around the same level, I just prefer Chiellini and Barzagli.

Why doesnt someone try to make a list of the great forwards or attacking players that Silva has shut down or done well against. Then someone else do that for Vidic. And ill make one for Chiellini. Just to compare how these guys do against top attackers.
juventus101
juventus101
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:32 pm

Barzagli has played as many years as Varane at the highest level ffs Laughing
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:33 pm

pls dont put chiellini in the same sentence as TS
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:41 pm

PSG vs Barca CL 1st leg I am talking about. The one performance which even had Joey fckin Barton backtracking his comments and praising TS. And its not Milan fans it's everyone who is not a Juve fan in this forum who knows he is better than Chiellini and Barzagli Laughing

Whatever this is juve101, the successor to sciacca.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by juventus101 Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:44 pm

Valkyrja wrote:Barzagli has played as many years as Varane at the highest level ffs Laughing
Im not so knowledgable on Varane. Didnt he break out half way through last season?

This is Barzaglis third season being an elite defender, but he was never a bad defender. He was always good, not this good but still good, problem was he was almost always paired with horrible partners. He was the best defender for Wolfsburg for example when they won the Bundesliga in 08/09. If he wasnt so good, why was he called up for the 2006 World Cup? Yea he was 4th string, but when you have guys like Cannavaro and Nesta ahead of you its nothing to be ashamed of.

So please dont talk unless you know what youre talking about.
juventus101
juventus101
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by juventus101 Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:45 pm

M99 wrote:PSG vs Barca CL 1st leg I am talking about. The one performance which even had Joey fckin Barton backtracking his comments and praising TS. And its not Milan fans it's everyone who is not a Juve fan in this forum who knows he is better than Chiellini and Barzagli Laughing

Whatever this is juve101, the successor to sciacca.
Thats what you dont understand. I dont care if you think Silva is better than chiellini and Barzagli. Everyone has a right to their own opinion. But to say Chiellini and Barzagli cant even be compared to Silva is straight up asinine.
juventus101
juventus101
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:19 am

Pippo wrote:However, I do think Vidic has made more high-profile errors than Silva
Having looked at a couple of the Manchester United season reviews -- specifically the 2008-09 and 2010-11 seasons -- I noticed that Vidic made many more goal-resulting errors than I remembered from the top of my head. A truly astonishing amount for a defender of his calibre.

From what I noted, he made 9 (!) errors in the 2008-09 season.
He also made 5 errors in the 2010-11 season.

Some of them are the more recognisable errors like the ones against Torres and Eto'o, but some low-profile ones like his two errors against Wolverhampton in 2011 -- he tried to rashly get stuck in on Ebanks-Blake who evaded him and scored, in the return match he missed the ball on a header and Doyle scored the winner -- are ones that I forgot about.

It really is amazing to see how I forget some of these things even though they are from around three, five years ago. I bet if I was a Manchester United fan or someone with an agenda against Vidic, I would remember these without having to look over them.

Pip
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by El Chelsea Fuerte Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:27 am

No

El Chelsea Fuerte
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down