Champions League · Group Match #5 - FC Basel vs Chelsea

+3
El Chelsea Fuerte
Kick
Shed
7 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Champions League · Group Match #5 - FC Basel vs Chelsea Empty Champions League · Group Match #5 - FC Basel vs Chelsea

Post by Shed Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:53 am

Champions League · Group Match #5 - FC Basel vs Chelsea Tumblr_mwqceanuol1ruhh4yo1_1280

Chelsea will travel to Switzerland to face off against FC Basel in the penultimate game of the Champions League Group Stage on Tuesday, November 26th.

Champions League · Group Match #5 - FC Basel vs Chelsea Cropped_Oscar

Champions League · Group Match #5 - FC Basel vs Chelsea IfNGnRrsICiTe

Champions League · Group Match #5 - FC Basel vs Chelsea Streller

The reverse fixture between these 2 sides in September on the opening day of the Champions League season ended calamitously for the Blues. José Mourinho's men went 1-nil up on the stroke of half-time to put themselves in a good position going into the second half. The hosts failed, however, to kill the game off with a second, and 20 minutes from time, Mohamed Salah equalised for the visitors. 10 minutes later, nightmare struck as Marco Streller headed home off a corner to give Basel the lead and eventually the victory, condemning Chelsea to a shock home defeat - certainly a rare commodity under José Mourinho - and their first Champions League defeat at Stamford Bridge in 10 years.

Champions League · Group Match #5 - FC Basel vs Chelsea IZj0rNyLQhfRw
-
Champions League · Group Match #5 - FC Basel vs Chelsea IuzDa7qdYJPrK

The two sides also, of course, faced off in the semifinals of last year's Europa League, a competition Chelsea, obviously, ultimately won. In this particular fixture, the Blues went ahead early on via a Branislav Ivanovic header which was guided in by Victor Moses, after which Rafa Benitez's men remained in large control and spurned several gilt-edged chances to bury the tie that very night, but a dubious penalty given to the Swiss hosts in the 87th minute seemed to have denied the visitor's their win. Low and behold, a free-kick awarded deep, deep into stoppage time to Chelsea on the edge of the box was snuck past Yann Sommer by David Luiz at the absolute death to hand the Blues a win.

Champions League · Group Match #5 - FC Basel vs Chelsea Tumblr_mwqium6ZOL1ruhh4yo1_1280

The two sides currently sit 1st and 3rd in the group. A win for Chelsea would mathematically clinch qualification to the knockout round, while for Basel, this game is a veritable must-win (or at the very least, a must-not-lose) game, as a defeat here, coupled with a highly likely Schalke win over group whipping-boys Steaua Bucharest, would mean not even a win in their final game away to the German outfit would be enough to advance.

Champions League · Group Match #5 - FC Basel vs Chelsea Tumblr_mwq48cXQ0Q1rj1mx9o1_1280

Fernando Torres is the only known fitness question mark for Chelsea at this point, with the Spaniard having returned to full training Thursday but still falling just short of being match-ready for Saturday's London derby against West Ham.

Champions League · Group Match #5 - FC Basel vs Chelsea Tumblr_mwqzogUrk21ruhh4yo1_1280

The match kicks off at 19:45 GMT

Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Champions League · Group Match #5 - FC Basel vs Chelsea Empty Re: Champions League · Group Match #5 - FC Basel vs Chelsea

Post by Kick Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:59 am

Gotta win this game, Sadly I won't see it live but I am sure we can get the result. A draw at the very least is what we need.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Champions League · Group Match #5 - FC Basel vs Chelsea Empty Re: Champions League · Group Match #5 - FC Basel vs Chelsea

Post by Shed Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:59 am

Another game missed by you Champions League · Group Match #5 - FC Basel vs Chelsea 2276801876
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:07 am

Working again Sad
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shed Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:11 am

Rolling Eyes 
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:25 am

I'll watch the replay, for sure.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shed Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:27 am

Thumbs up 
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:28 am

I'd like to see DL4, Mikel Schurrle and Torres play, tbh.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shed Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:33 am

Think we'll certainly at least 2 of those, at the very least.
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:34 am

Same.

It will be an interesting to see the squad.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shed Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:39 am

José Mourinho unhappy with Chelsea Euro preparations on the back of international break:
Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho admitted he is unhappy going into a crucial Champions League game with minimal time to prepare
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/352381/Jose-Mourinho-unhappy-with-Chelsea-Euro-preparations

"I don't like this period. I was 11 days with four players - Bertrand, Azpilicueta, Terry and Ba - and the only thing I know about my players is what I watched"

"I don't know how they trained, how they rested, what they did in between the first and second matches. I know nothing."

"I'm not sure about the physical and psychological conditions they arrived back in."
"For these matches, when they come from national teams, there is always a question mark.

"We have to meet, we have to speak and understand that this is an important period - November and December.

"We have to try and make the situation better or at least make sure it doesn't get any worse."
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Shed Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:01 am

Chelsea striker Torres winning fitness battle:
Chelsea striker Fernando Torres appears to on the road to recovery as he battles to overcome an abductor problem as he uses Instagram account to document his progress
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/444938/PICTURES-Chelsea-star-Fernando-Torres-making-good-progress-in-bid-to-overcome-injury

Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by El Chelsea Fuerte Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:07 am

Kick wrote:I'll watch the replay, for sure.
I always watch replays-don't watch it live. It's bad timing for me and it's inconvenient to watch at those times.

El Chelsea Fuerte
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Shed Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:19 am

Where do you live mate?
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Shed Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:18 pm

Champions League · Group Match #5 - FC Basel vs Chelsea Tumblr_mwu08oYK2g1ruhh4yo1_1280
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by El Chelsea Fuerte Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:12 pm

Shed wrote:Where do you live mate?
I'm in California. 3 PM kickoffs start at 7 AM here, and I don't like wasting my mornings on the least important things. Most of the times I'm stuck in my room studying from morning to evening (life of a pre-med bounce). I like watching football in the night to relax. I watched the first half of the West Ham game day before yesterday and I am on course to finish the game tonight :coffee:

El Chelsea Fuerte
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:24 pm

Interesting life there, Jewel.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by El Chelsea Fuerte Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:30 pm

Kick wrote:Interesting life there, Jewel.
Anything but.

El Chelsea Fuerte
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:34 pm

Busy, I imagine.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by El Chelsea Fuerte Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:51 pm

So we can lose this match and it'd be no problem. Bucharest are walkovers, that too at home. Laughing

El Chelsea Fuerte
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:06 am

Exactly Very Happy

Although, I'd rather win.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shed Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:11 am

With the hectic schedule this month Mourinho will want to get things wrapped up asap so he can field the reserves in the Steaua match.
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:18 am

That too.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by El Chelsea Fuerte Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:56 pm

Chelsea starting XI: Cech; Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry (c), Azpilicueta; Mikel, Lampard; Ramires, Oscar, Willian; Eto'o

It's a 4-2-3-1:

Champions League · Group Match #5 - FC Basel vs Chelsea BaBQ7G2CIAAQMxv

From Chelsea's Twitter

El Chelsea Fuerte
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:54 pm

I've found three TV channels playing Napoli v BVB but none playing our game, can someone inbix me a link?
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next