Chumlum
RealGunner
El Gunner
SamuelJayC
8 posters

Go down

Everton v Arsenal Preview Empty Everton v Arsenal Preview

Post by SamuelJayC Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:36 pm

Everton v Arsenal, Sunday 6th April 1.30pm, Goodison Park, Premier League, Sky Sports 1

Everton v Arsenal Preview Wenger-Martinez
Roberto Martínez & Arsène Wenger will lock horns again on Sunday

Premier League

1. Liverpool 71pts
2. Man City 70pts
3. Chelsea 69pts
4. Arsenal 64pts
------------
5. Everton 60pts

Champions League showdown at Goodison

When Arsène Wenger was watching his team earlier on in the campaign, with Arsenal five points clear at the top of the Premier League, little did he think that with six games to go, the Gunners would be battling for fourth place - again. Yet that is exactly what has happened. Defeat at Goodison Park on Sunday wouldn't be terminal, but it would cast major doubt over Arsenal's Champions League participation next season. Though, win, of course, and Wenger's men would be 7 points clear of Martínez's side, and would surely all but confirm a 17th successive season in Europe's elite competition.

"It's an opportunity to go forward and as well an opportunity to make a distance with Everton," Wenger told the media on Friday morning. "As I told you after the last game against Man City, we look in front of us and behind us as well." Victories on Sunday and then next weekend at Wembley would provide an enormous boost to a squad that has won just 3 of its last 10 Premier League games.

Everton, on the other hand, have won their last 5 in the League - the Blues' best form in 12 years. "The fight for the top four in our league becomes harder, season after season," Martínez said this week. "Arsenal at the weekend is a great opportunity - but winning the game doesn't guarantee the top four."

Match Facts

* Everton have only scored more than once in one of the last 22 Premier League games against Arsenal.

* The Toffees have lost eight and won none of the last 13 Premier League games against the Gunners, but the last three meetings have been drawn.

* Everton’s record home (1-6 Aug 2009) and record away and overall (0-7 May 2005) Premier League defeats have come at the hands of Arsenal.

* Lukas Podolski has the best chance conversion of any player with 10+ goals in the Premier League over the last two seasons, scoring with 33% of his attempts.

* No team has ever had 60 or more points after 31 games of a Premier League season and failed to finish in the top four. Everton and Arsenal have both exceeded this tally.

* Arsenal are the only team in the Premier League not to have an opposition player sent off against them this season.

Team News

Arsenal

Ramsey (thigh) & Monreal (foot) are fit, but Gibbs (ankle) is doubtful. Gnabry (knee), Koscielny (calf), Özil (hamstring), Wilshere (foot), Ryo (hamstring) & Walcott (knee) are all unavailable. Diaby (knee) is training individually, but is still not available.

Everton

Jagielka (hamstring), Pienaar (knee), Traore (hamstring), Kone (knee), Gibson (knee) & Oviedo (leg) are out.

Everton v Arsenal Preview AbGGDQWaeU

Arsenal subs: Fabiański Jenkinson Gibbs Källström Ramsey Chamberlain Sanogo

Everton subs: Robles Alcáraz Browning Garbutt Osman McGeady Naismith

Last edited by Samuelj29060 on Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Everton v Arsenal Preview Empty Re: Everton v Arsenal Preview

Post by El Gunner Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:48 pm

A must-not-lose game.
But still I feel good about this game and I think we can win it. A win certainly would go far in ensuring our place in the top 4 and still give us a bit of hope that one of the top 3 will fade in the last few games in order for us to overtake that side.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:51 pm

Btw, I still feel, to this moment, that the reverse fixture between the sides earlier this season is the best game of the season in the league.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:26 pm

Great work Sam.

I am not worried about the match. Maybe the battering we suffered from City,Chelsea n Liverpool have made me desensitized about any negative result.

Also I do think we have the top 4 all but secured. No result will matter at goodison. Saying that, obviously we have to win. To go in to the Semi Final with some positive momentum and morale.

Good to have Ramsey back. 10-15 minutes should be ok for him. None if we are losing. Can't risk him.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:36 pm

I'll be honest, I'm slightly worried about tomorrow.

I would love to see Cazorla have a boss game, though. As long as confidence & chemistry are good (big "if"), this is something we should get at least a point from.
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:06 pm

Everything points to this being a very difficult game. Everton are in very good form and just the right time and are riding a nice big wave of momentum at the moment, whereas we're not in any sort of form at all and seem to be barely getting by on a deprived squad. They've got players playing well and making a difference, while we've not got anyone playing too well. Home advantage and a big juicy carrot to play for... yeah, it's easy to be worried.

Away from the tactics and fitness of both teams, pressure will play a major part here. Both teams will know that they cannot lose the game if they want to have the momentum going into the final few games of the season, and with it being such an important game, nerves are bound to play a part. We've notoriously lacked confidence and belief in these sorts of away games, but I think the 2nd half performance against City will have done a lot to remedy that and carrying that sort of confidence into this game will be vital towards getting a positive result. Everton, on the other hand, may feel they have nothing to lose - chances are they'll get European football of some sort next season - and that may liberate them, but in doing so that may leave them vulnerable.

Arsenal have to play this game smart. A draw is a good result since it'd keep them at arm's length, so there's no need to be playing an open game at all. Our passing needs to be a lot better than it has been, because this Everton team are dangerous on the counter. Above all, our defence needs to be on top of its game because right now we struggle to score one goal, let alone two or more.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:19 pm

all i ask is that we dont get destroyed in the first 20mins, like we have done against every fuking big team away from home.
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:35 am

Great job Sam.

Everton have only one loss at home and it will not be a easy game, I take a point now but Everton score early we could see another blow-out.
Baines and Coleman will kill us if we allow them to cross from wide areas.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:11 am

Everton v Arsenal Preview Bkd5NQxCcAAq4YV
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:56 am

Ramsey, you such a sexy beast. Do us proud when you make your comeback cameo in the 85th minute.  :wub: 
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:56 am

I know I sound like a broken record when I repeat this all the time but I hope Wenger FINALLY plays Oxlade-Chamberlain on the left wing instead of Podolski or Cazorla. We need to make sure we expose Coleman's poor positional sense and no one in our team does that better than Oxlade-Chamberlain.

It's important to keep a clean sheet and score the odd goal.

I hope we see this team:

Szczesny
Sagna Mertesacker Vermaelen Monreal*
Arteta Flamini
Rosicky Cazorla Chamberlain
Giroud

Gibbs* if fit
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down